GEDCOM app for iPad

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GEDCOM app for iPad

Peter Flynn
I have an elderly relative (several, actually) who would like to view
what I am doing on the family tree. One of them has said he "can't open"
the GEDCOM file I sent him in an email attachment, so I have asked him
what he was using to open it with (if any; he may not have anything
installed).

However, his email .sig said "Sent from my iPad" so I wondered what
people might recommend as a suitable iPad app for someone of advanced
age opening and viewing GEDCOM files. My concern is that he would also
start editing the file, adding valuable information not realising that
it's not flowing back to me :-)

I do have the whole tree on my web site in webtrees, but I think he is
finding this hard to understand and navigate.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Peter


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM app for iPad

Gustav Tiger
If it is possible for you to publish it as a web page somewhere where it is accessible from the internet, that would probably be best option.

/ Tiger

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 11:42 AM Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have an elderly relative (several, actually) who would like to view
what I am doing on the family tree. One of them has said he "can't open"
the GEDCOM file I sent him in an email attachment, so I have asked him
what he was using to open it with (if any; he may not have anything
installed).

However, his email .sig said "Sent from my iPad" so I wondered what
people might recommend as a suitable iPad app for someone of advanced
age opening and viewing GEDCOM files. My concern is that he would also
start editing the file, adding valuable information not realising that
it's not flowing back to me :-)

I do have the whole tree on my web site in webtrees, but I think he is
finding this hard to understand and navigate.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Peter


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM app for iPad

Peter Merchant
In reply to this post by Peter Flynn
On 04/06/2019 10:39, Peter Flynn wrote:

> I have an elderly relative (several, actually) who would like to view what I am doing on the family tree. One of them has said he "can't open" the GEDCOM file I sent him in an email attachment, so I have asked him what he was using to open it with (if any; he may not have anything installed).
>
> However, his email .sig said "Sent from my iPad" so I wondered what people might recommend as a suitable iPad app for someone of advanced age opening and viewing GEDCOM files. My concern is that he would also start editing the file, adding valuable information not realising that it's not flowing back to me :-)
>
> I do have the whole tree on my web site in webtrees, but I think he is finding this hard to understand and navigate.
>
> All suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Peter
>
>
Probably easiest is to install Ancestry app with free login and import Gedcom. Or if you are using Ancestry, then perhaps you could share it with them so that there is only one copy.

Peter


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM app for iPad

GRAMPS - User mailing list
There are qualifications of "easiest" on such a recommendation.

If you want what's easiest for those elderly relatives, their easiest option probably wouldn't require installing Apps on a spectrum of devices. It also starts an endless cycle of helping create (& remember!) accounts with passwords. (But you're probably all too familiar with that problem if you're webmastering a WebTrees site.)

I'm not sure it's any easier to talk someone through navigating via an unfamiliar App than your own website either. And, since you've already adopted WebTrees for posting your online tree, I'd ask other Gramps users to the benefits of Gramps generated website over WebTrees before investing those hours. (I use Gramps for personal rather than public reference. It's steep learning curve is too intimidating to casual users.)

I tried navigating the actual WebTrees family site of the architect Greg Roach. Freaking $#@&! I see why they might have problems navigating! I despair of these genealogy sites where you can't figure out how to get to a referent person or figure out how you are related to the site owner! I couldn't find the main trunk of that tree.

Much like Gramps (where novice users often feel stranded on the initial Dashboard panel), the WebTrees entry page doesn't have an obvious entry point for exploring the database. If the visitor doesn't know where they are to start, they'll have no idea where to go.

My expectation is that an entry page will describe (with an obvious hyperlink) the focal person of the tree and their relation to the site admin.  In most cases with a married couple running a site, this involves avoiding living person privacy issues and may be a basic tree/graph starting with the 4 (groom's maternal & paternal plus bride's maternal & paternal) sets of grandparents.

The other desire a typical user has is to find a known ancestor on the site and discover how they relate to the site admin. This gives each visitor perspective on how the site might illuminate their own tree.  (One of the nice features of WikiTree.com is that visitors can find the blood relation of any 2 profiles. FamilySearch.org only has the option to show the blood relation of the logged-in user to a profile. The more flexible Gramps gramplet called Deep Connections shows indirect & blood relations between the "home" person and the active profile. I often paste the Deep Connection output into the footer of 1st eMails to distant relatives.) Perhaps WebTrees has a similar feature?  If so, orienting your relative with this informative starting point would encourage exploration.

It seems like your relative has been hit by information overload. Have you explored giving him a suggestion for orienting himself on your site? Maybe just send him a link to his parent's page on your site? Since your leaf of the public tree is most likely 'private', send the link to your nearest public leaf of that branch.

We have the same problem with information bring lost among the thousands of documentation pages on our wiki.  It is often easiest to use a website limit on the a familiar Google search to find a Gramps feature in the wiki. 

To find the pages about using Gramps build a website in our user documentation, I might suggest the following Google sesrch:

make genealogy website site:gramps-project.org/wiki

Maybe that works for a WebTree too. On Greg Roach's own WebTrees site, I might suggest: 
"Richards Roach" site:fisharebest.webtrees.net

-Brian

References:
For those of us unfamiliar with WebTrees (see https://www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/showcase-en/modified-en ), it's the heir-apparent fork of 
PhpGedView (see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpGedView )

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 6:10, Peter Merchant
On 04/06/2019 10:39, Peter Flynn wrote:

> I have an elderly relative (several, actually) who would like to view what I am doing on the family tree. One of them has said he "can't open" the GEDCOM file I sent him in an email attachment, so I have asked him what he was using to open it with (if any; he may not have anything installed).
>
> However, his email .sig said "Sent from my iPad" so I wondered what people might recommend as a suitable iPad app for someone of advanced age opening and viewing GEDCOM files. My concern is that he would also start editing the file, adding valuable information not realising that it's not flowing back to me :-)
>
> I do have the whole tree on my web site in webtrees, but I think he is finding this hard to understand and navigate.
>
> All suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Peter
>
>
Probably easiest is to install Ancestry app with free login and import Gedcom. Or if you are using Ancestry, then perhaps you could share it with them so that there is only one copy.


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM app for iPad

GRAMPS - User mailing list
On my personal website started in 1999, the entry page includes an CSS table container for the following hyperlinked pedigree and images:

The CSS table on the left is re-used for pedigree navigation for each profile on the site. I hand-coded the HTML on site beginning in 1999. (Before there were content management systems.)


On Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 10:33:04 AM CDT, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:


My expectation is that an entry page will describe (with an obvious hyperlink) the focal person of the tree and their relation to the site admin.  In most cases with a married couple running a site, this involves avoiding living person privacy issues and may be a basic tree/graph starting with the 4 (groom's maternal & paternal plus bride's maternal & paternal) sets of grandparents.


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM app for iPad

enno
In reply to this post by Peter Flynn
Hi Peter,

> However, his email .sig said "Sent from my iPad" so I wondered what
> people might recommend as a suitable iPad app for someone of advanced
> age opening and viewing GEDCOM files. My concern is that he would also
> start editing the file, adding valuable information not realising that
> it's not flowing back to me :-)
First, I second Peter Merchant's advice to try the Ancestry app. It
works great on Android and iOS, and they can use it for free, as long as
they have an account on Ancestry, and can manage that. They will be
confronted with hints (shaking leaves), but there is no need to get a
paid account, and it probably works with a shared tree too, if you put
that on Ancestry, and share that. Granting full acces to that tree is
probably not a good idea, because Ancestry does not create change logs
for you, and Ancestry GEDCOMs are not that good anyway, although
WikiTree is far worse.
> I do have the whole tree on my web site in webtrees, but I think he is
> finding this hard to understand and navigate.

I get that. Most web sites don't work that well on small screens, and
the Ancestry app is optimized for those. It works well on my iPhone too.

The alternative is that you mail a report in PDF format, so that he can
read it with Acrobat. When you do that, you force him to send updates to
you, which is much easier for you, and maybe for him too, if even the
Ancestry app is too complex, or he falls for the shaking leaves anyway.

Regards,

Enno




--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM app for iPad

Deborah Bennett
In reply to this post by Peter Flynn
I suggest you give Heredis a try. It is free, and once you download the GEDCOM, it does not require any online resources. The view is list based. 

Another app to try is Branches or Branches Pro. Branches is free. This view is tree based. When I want to walk around my tree, this is what I use. It is designed to be synced to Family Search, but you can download a GEDCOM and use it that way. In fact, I use this app to compare my trees from Gramps and Family Search. I rarely buy apps, but Branches Pro is so good I spent the few dollars to buy it. 

-deborah

Sent from my iPhone
Send email to [hidden email]
Share files with [hidden email]

On Jun 4, 2019, at 2:39 AM, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have an elderly relative (several, actually) who would like to view what I am doing on the family tree. One of them has said he "can't open" the GEDCOM file I sent him in an email attachment, so I have asked him what he was using to open it with (if any; he may not have anything installed).

However, his email .sig said "Sent from my iPad" so I wondered what people might recommend as a suitable iPad app for someone of advanced age opening and viewing GEDCOM files. My concern is that he would also start editing the file, adding valuable information not realising that it's not flowing back to me :-)

I do have the whole tree on my web site in webtrees, but I think he is finding this hard to understand and navigate.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Peter


-- 
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 2:39 AM Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have an elderly relative (several, actually) who would like to view
what I am doing on the family tree. One of them has said he "can't open"
the GEDCOM file I sent him in an email attachment, so I have asked him
what he was using to open it with (if any; he may not have anything
installed).

However, his email .sig said "Sent from my iPad" so I wondered what
people might recommend as a suitable iPad app for someone of advanced
age opening and viewing GEDCOM files. My concern is that he would also
start editing the file, adding valuable information not realising that
it's not flowing back to me :-)

I do have the whole tree on my web site in webtrees, but I think he is
finding this hard to understand and navigate.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Peter


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
--
Send email to [hidden email]
Share files with [hidden email]


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM app for iPad

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Deborah,
Thanks for those leads. Thought I'd include some links. 

Branches is Windows, Mac and App for iPad but no Linux

HEREDIS for Windows and Mac, App for Android and iOS family tree application for phone and tablet. Again, Linux not mentioned


On Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 1:28:06 PM CDT, Deborah Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:


I suggest you give Heredis a try. It is free, and once you download the GEDCOM, it does not require any online resources. The view is list based. 

Another app to try is Branches or Branches Pro. Branches is free. This view is tree based. When I want to walk around my tree, this is what I use. It is designed to be synced to Family Search, but you can download a GEDCOM and use it that way. In fact, I use this app to compare my trees from Gramps and Family Search. I rarely buy apps, but Branches Pro is so good I spent the few dollars to buy it. 

-deborah

Sent from my iPhone
Send email to [hidden email]
Share files with [hidden email]

On Jun 4, 2019, at 2:39 AM, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have an elderly relative (several, actually) who would like to view what I am doing on the family tree. One of them has said he "can't open" the GEDCOM file I sent him in an email attachment, so I have asked him what he was using to open it with (if any; he may not have anything installed).

However, his email .sig said "Sent from my iPad" so I wondered what people might recommend as a suitable iPad app for someone of advanced age opening and viewing GEDCOM files. My concern is that he would also start editing the file, adding valuable information not realising that it's not flowing back to me :-)

I do have the whole tree on my web site in webtrees, but I think he is finding this hard to understand and navigate.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Peter


-- 
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 2:39 AM Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have an elderly relative (several, actually) who would like to view
what I am doing on the family tree. One of them has said he "can't open"
the GEDCOM file I sent him in an email attachment, so I have asked him
what he was using to open it with (if any; he may not have anything
installed).

However, his email .sig said "Sent from my iPad" so I wondered what
people might recommend as a suitable iPad app for someone of advanced
age opening and viewing GEDCOM files. My concern is that he would also
start editing the file, adding valuable information not realising that
it's not flowing back to me :-)

I do have the whole tree on my web site in webtrees, but I think he is
finding this hard to understand and navigate.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Peter


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
--
Send email to [hidden email]
Share files with [hidden email]


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM app for iPad

Peter Flynn
In reply to this post by Gustav Tiger
On 04/06/2019 11:48, Gustav Tiger wrote:
> If it is possible for you to publish it as a web page somewhere

Already doing that. But that interface is too complex for the individual.

> On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 11:42 AM Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
>     I do have the whole tree on my web site in webtrees

P


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM app for iPad

Peter Flynn
In reply to this post by Peter Merchant
On 04/06/2019 12:08, Peter Merchant wrote:
> Probably easiest is to install Ancestry app with free login and
> import Gedcom. Or if you are using Ancestry, then perhaps you could
> share it with them so that there is only one copy.

I do use Ancestry occasionally, and sharing it makes sense except that I
don't know his level of ability (he's in Canada, I'm in Ireland), nor
who looks after his computing needs, if anyone (I'm finding out).

P


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM app for iPad

Peter Flynn
In reply to this post by GRAMPS - User mailing list

On 04/06/2019 16:30, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
> There are qualifications of "easiest" on such a recommendation.

As usual :-)

> If you want what's easiest for those elderly relatives, their easiest
> option probably wouldn't require installing Apps on a spectrum of
> devices.

Just one.

> It also starts an endless cycle of helping create (& remember!)
> accounts with passwords. (But you're probably all too familiar with that
> problem if you're webmastering a WebTrees site.)

That's not a problem for me, but as he's remote, some other family
member or friend would have to take him through it.

He has now come back to me asking for a photograph of the screen, so I
think I'll print-to-file and send him a PDF.

>
> I'm not sure it's any easier to talk someone through navigating via an
> unfamiliar App than your own website either. And, since you've already
> adopted WebTrees for posting your online tree, I'd ask other Gramps
> users to the benefits of Gramps generated website over WebTrees before
> investing those hours. (I use Gramps for personal rather than public
> reference. It's steep learning curve is too intimidating to casual users.)

Webtrees was easy to get running. It's counterintuitive to install and
update a GEDCOM file (the terminology is confusing and there are several
ways to do it). But it works just fine and I've created read-only
accounts for several family members.

> I tried navigating the actual WebTrees family site of the architect Greg
> Roach. Freaking $#@&! I see why they might have problems navigating! I
> despair of these genealogy sites where you can't figure out how to get
> to a referent person or figure out how you are related to the site
> owner! I couldn't find the main trunk of that tree.

I set each account to use the individual themselves as the root person,
so when they log in, they should see themselves as the center.

> My expectation is that an entry page will describe (with an obvious
> hyperlink) the focal person of the tree and their relation to the site
> admin.

Mine was that it would immediately show the user themselves as the
center of the universe. The site admin (me) is an irrelevance because
I'm stuck way out on a limb of the tree.

> It seems like your relative has been hit by information overload.

I suspect so.

> Have
> you explored giving him a suggestion for orienting himself on your site?

I assumed he would log in but he hasn't, so I'm not sure he knows how to.

> We have the same problem with information being lost among the
> thousands of documentation pages on our wiki.

Documentation wikis need to be managed by a documentation engineer so
that the structure is sensible and all duplication is pruned.

///Peter


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM app for iPad

Peter Flynn
In reply to this post by Peter Flynn
On 04/06/2019 17:01, Deborah Bennett wrote:
> I suggest you give Heredis a try

I saw that, so I'll have to borrow an iPad to have a look.

Right now I'm sending him a PDF.

P


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org