GEDCOM export of specific surnames

Oldest1

Is there any way to export a GEDCOM file consisting of the records for only a select number of surnames?

It might make it easier to try to fit various, possibly unconnected, individuals with some meager or missing data into their proper place in the tree.

TIA,

Arnold

Re: GEDCOM export of specific surnames

Dave Scheipers
Hi Arnold,

Real simple. Create a person Filter
General filters >> People with the <name>

The filter can contain the same parameter to select other names. Just make sure that the filter option is set to
>> At least one rule must apply

Then it's just a matter of exporting based upon the filter.
at the Export Filter options
>> Person Filter >> select the filter you created above
>> Reference Filter >> Do not include records not linked to a selected person

That should create what you want

Hope this helped, Dave

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 6:31 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is there any way to export a GEDCOM file consisting of the records for only a select number of surnames?

It might make it easier to try to fit various, possibly unconnected, individuals with some meager or missing data into their proper place in the tree.

TIA,

Arnold

Re: GEDCOM export of specific surnames

Oldest1

Thank you, Dave.

OK, I just tried something along those lines, but without success.

Just to be sure, I am running Gramps AIO 32  4.2.5  and here is what I tried:

I am in 'People' view

From the main menu, select Family Trees - > Export -> GEDCOM

Export Options -> Person Filter -> 'edit' button -> Define Filter dialog

Name: test

Comment: test

Click on '+' add a rule

from the rules list I select: General filters -> People with the <name>

In the 'Values' fields I only enter the last name  I want to export and click OK

Now I have a rule defined: People with the <name>

Value: beck

All rules must apply

but, the OK button is disabled so I can do nothing with the data :-(

& I am stuck ;-)

PS: the z-order changes of those dialogs is sure annoying.

Arnold
On 3/10/2017 3:46 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
Hi Arnold,

Real simple. Create a person Filter
General filters >> People with the <name>

The filter can contain the same parameter to select other names. Just make sure that the filter option is set to
>> At least one rule must apply

Then it's just a matter of exporting based upon the filter.
at the Export Filter options
>> Person Filter >> select the filter you created above
>> Reference Filter >> Do not include records not linked to a selected person

That should create what you want

Hope this helped, Dave

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 6:31 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is there any way to export a GEDCOM file consisting of the records for only a select number of surnames?

It might make it easier to try to fit various, possibly unconnected, individuals with some meager or missing data into their proper place in the tree.

TIA,

Arnold

Re: GEDCOM export of specific surnames

Create the filter from within the People view.  (Note also that you can add multiple "sub-filters" to a filter if you want to export multiple family names.)

On 03/10/2017 06:37 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

Thank you, Dave.

OK, I just tried something along those lines, but without success.

Just to be sure, I am running Gramps AIO 32  4.2.5  and here is what I tried:

I am in 'People' view

From the main menu, select Family Trees - > Export -> GEDCOM

Export Options -> Person Filter -> 'edit' button -> Define Filter dialog

Name: test

Comment: test

Click on '+' add a rule

from the rules list I select: General filters -> People with the <name>

In the 'Values' fields I only enter the last name  I want to export and click OK

Now I have a rule defined: People with the <name>

Value: beck

All rules must apply

but, the OK button is disabled so I can do nothing with the data :-(

& I am stuck ;-)

PS: the z-order changes of those dialogs is sure annoying.

Arnold
On 3/10/2017 3:46 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
Hi Arnold,

Real simple. Create a person Filter
General filters >> People with the <name>

The filter can contain the same parameter to select other names. Just make sure that the filter option is set to
>> At least one rule must apply

Then it's just a matter of exporting based upon the filter.
at the Export Filter options
>> Person Filter >> select the filter you created above
>> Reference Filter >> Do not include records not linked to a selected person

That should create what you want

Hope this helped, Dave

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 6:31 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is there any way to export a GEDCOM file consisting of the records for only a select number of surnames?

It might make it easier to try to fit various, possibly unconnected, individuals with some meager or missing data into their proper place in the tree.

TIA,

Arnold

Re: GEDCOM export of specific surnames

Hi Arnold

Step 1

Create or edit the filter in one of the People views

Step 2

Do the export setting the filter as the filter you have already created.  You do not run the filter and then export. The export will select the people from the filter. Remember to set the >> Reference Filter >> Do not include records not linked to a selected person.  Failure to do that and you'll get just the people you want, but all of the events, etc from your database.

Dave

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 7:37 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you, Dave.

OK, I just tried something along those lines, but without success.

Just to be sure, I am running Gramps AIO 32  4.2.5  and here is what I tried:

I am in 'People' view

From the main menu, select Family Trees - > Export -> GEDCOM

Export Options -> Person Filter -> 'edit' button -> Define Filter dialog

Name: test

Comment: test

Click on '+' add a rule

from the rules list I select: General filters -> People with the <name>

In the 'Values' fields I only enter the last name  I want to export and click OK

Now I have a rule defined: People with the <name>

Value: beck

All rules must apply

but, the OK button is disabled so I can do nothing with the data :-(

& I am stuck ;-)

PS: the z-order changes of those dialogs is sure annoying.

Arnold
On 3/10/2017 3:46 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
Hi Arnold,

Real simple. Create a person Filter
General filters >> People with the <name>

The filter can contain the same parameter to select other names. Just make sure that the filter option is set to
>> At least one rule must apply

Then it's just a matter of exporting based upon the filter.
at the Export Filter options
>> Person Filter >> select the filter you created above
>> Reference Filter >> Do not include records not linked to a selected person

That should create what you want

Hope this helped, Dave

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 6:31 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is there any way to export a GEDCOM file consisting of the records for only a select number of surnames?

It might make it easier to try to fit various, possibly unconnected, individuals with some meager or missing data into their proper place in the tree.

TIA,

Arnold

Re: GEDCOM export of specific surnames

Oldest1

It seems to me that I was doing things the way both you & Ron recommend, but it initially it did not work for me  as I would have expected. Eventually, the OK button did become enabled and I was able to at least close the 'filter' dialog.

And, even later than that, I realized that what I had expected did not happen - that the newly created filter would be selected in the drop-down box - but that it was available in the drop-down, if I 'dropped' the box :-)

Now, I am happy to report, that finally I got the output I was looking for, though, I am still unsure just why things did not work as expected from the start.

Thank you all for your help.

Arnold

On 3/10/2017 4:59 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
Hi Arnold

Step 1

Create or edit the filter in one of the People views

Step 2

Do the export setting the filter as the filter you have already created.  You do not run the filter and then export. The export will select the people from the filter. Remember to set the >> Reference Filter >> Do not include records not linked to a selected person.  Failure to do that and you'll get just the people you want, but all of the events, etc from your database.

Dave

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 7:37 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you, Dave.

OK, I just tried something along those lines, but without success.

Just to be sure, I am running Gramps AIO 32  4.2.5  and here is what I tried:

I am in 'People' view

From the main menu, select Family Trees - > Export -> GEDCOM