Quantcast

GEDCOM import of media

sturdy
I have a gedcom file that I am trying to import into Gramps (3.4.2-1, Ubuntu 12.10) but the correct media path fails to import. I have tried every combination of full and relative path that I can think of yet when the import is complete (no errors) the path always appears in Gramps as root _/_ and only the red X icon. The full path as it appears in the gedcom is similar to this: /mnt/volume/data/familytree media/file name.jpg. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks...

Sturdy2

Re: GEDCOM import of media

sturdy
I probably should have mentioned that _No active media_ appears at the bottom of the window after import.

Sturdy

Re: GEDCOM import of media

Ken B.

On 26/02/13 05:51, sturdy wrote:

> I have a gedcom file that I am trying to import into Gramps (3.4.2-1, Ubuntu
> 12.10) but the correct media path fails to import. I have tried every
> combination of full and relative path that I can think of yet when the
> import is complete (no errors) the path always appears in Gramps as root _/_
> and only the red X icon. The full path as it appears in the gedcom is
> similar to this: /mnt/volume/data/familytree media/file name.jpg. Can
> someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks...
>
> Sturdy2

Hi,

1. Are you able to access to media folder and files with your file
browser as a user, and not superuser?
2. If only superuser then it could be a permissions problem.
3. If the folder can be accessed and the permissions are user:user then
try the following.
4. Open gramps, go to the media tab and note the path after importing
the gedcom.
5. Open your file browser and open the media folder, note the path.
6. In gramps go to Tools > Utilities > Media Manager and open it.
7. Click forward and leave the selection set to "Replace substrings in
the path", and click forward.
8. In Replace type the path you copied from Gramps, and With the path
you copied from the file browser.
9. Click forward and then OK.

If this works, Great. If not then other will need to help you, or you
may need to file a bug report.

Ken.

Re: GEDCOM import of media

sturdy
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the response. But unfortunately, still no luck. The path imported into gramps is / so the path name is incomplete. The file name portion is missing so Media Manager isn't much help. I'm beginning to suspect the gedcom format. But, strangely, the import works under Windows. sigh...
Sturdy

Re: GEDCOM import of media

sturdy
Submitted bug report 6485