Quantcast

GEDCOM import to Gramps

Howard W Reagan
 I have imported a GEDCOM created by Legacy 7.5 into Gramps 3 and 4 with the same results of not getting all the people of a surname to list in the detail descendant report.  The number of people listed in the summary of loading the database is correct some of the text reports containing an index of people are correct.  None of the searches I have done on the web has given me a clue as to what the trouble might  or the fix for it.  I did find in one location that their was problems with importing Legacy GEDCOM into Gramps but no details were provided.

Thanks for any help as I am really stuck and can not generate valid reports from a 481 member data base.

--
May God Bless Your Day!

Howard W Reagan

Re: GEDCOM import to Gramps

Robby
You could check your gedcom file with a validator to see if it has problems.

http://chronoplexsoftware.com/gedcomvalidator/index.htm

Maybe then correct it before import.

This validator claims "In depth online and offline help with examples showing how to fix any issues reported."

Re: GEDCOM import to Gramps

Howard,
> I have imported a GEDCOM created by Legacy 7.5 into Gramps 3 and 4
> with the same results of not getting all the people of a surname to
> list in the detail descendant report.
Could it be that some of the people with that surname are not
descendants of the start person?
> The number of people listed in the summary of loading the database is
> correct some of the text reports containing an index of people are
> correct.
OK
> None of the searches I have done on the web has given me a clue as to
> what the trouble might  or the fix for it.  I did find in one location
> that their was problems with importing Legacy GEDCOM into Gramps but
> no details were provided.
H'm, I can't find much about Legacy in our bug tracker.
> Thanks for any help as I am really stuck and can not generate valid
> reports from a 481 member data base.
It's difficult to help without further details. If all persons were
imported, and you expect that all with that surname appear in the
report, it would suggest that a family link was broken on import. And
that's something you can check yourself.

Can you tell us how the missing persons are connected to the rest of the
tree? Are all persons supposed to be descendants of one common ancestor?
It may be that the report just acts in another way than you expect.

regards,