GEDCOM work

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GEDCOM work

Don Allingham-3
As some of you know, I have been working on the GEDCOM import and export
for the 3.0 branch.

I thought I ought to outline the goals for the update, just so everyone
would know what is coming.

IMPORT - with GEDCOM import, we will attempt to import everything that
         reasonably can. We will try to handle as many of the
         "extensions" each program likes to add.

EXPORT - with GEDCOM export, the goal is to adhere to the GEDCOM 5.5
         specification. We will no longer try to produce custom versions
         for different targets. This is a self defeating goal.  We will
         generate clean GEDCOM, and will not add any extensions.

So, custom attributes will written with the FACT token. If you have a
custom attribute in GRAMPS with a type of "My Type" and a value of "My
Value", we will generate:

  n FACT My Value
n+1 TYPE My Type

If we have a custom event, of type "My Type" and a description of "My
Description", we will do:

  n EVEN
n+1 TYPE My Type
n+1 NOTE Description: My Description

The EVEN tag does not give us a place to add a description, and placing
it on the EVEN line is not legal. So we will add it as a note with an
indication that it is the description.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

Julio Sánchez-2
Don:

Is FACT standard GEDCOM?  I can't find it.

Anyway, remember that some things that GRAMPS calls events (OCCU,
etc.) are handled differently than things like BIRT or MARR.

When you say no extensions, is GRAMPS going to stop producing LATI and
LONG with places, that are not in 5.5 and only in the proposed 5.5.1?

On the other hand, I would like GRAMPS to always generate _UID if no
other Unique Identifier attribute is present in the person entry.  It
is also not in the standard, but seems to be what everyone, PAF
included, uses to assist in merging.

Can you clarify what you mean by no extensions?

Best regards,

Julio

2007/8/23, Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:

> As some of you know, I have been working on the GEDCOM import and export
> for the 3.0 branch.
>
> I thought I ought to outline the goals for the update, just so everyone
> would know what is coming.
>
> IMPORT - with GEDCOM import, we will attempt to import everything that
>          reasonably can. We will try to handle as many of the
>          "extensions" each program likes to add.
>
> EXPORT - with GEDCOM export, the goal is to adhere to the GEDCOM 5.5
>          specification. We will no longer try to produce custom versions
>          for different targets. This is a self defeating goal.  We will
>          generate clean GEDCOM, and will not add any extensions.
>
> So, custom attributes will written with the FACT token. If you have a
> custom attribute in GRAMPS with a type of "My Type" and a value of "My
> Value", we will generate:
>
>   n FACT My Value
> n+1 TYPE My Type
>
> If we have a custom event, of type "My Type" and a description of "My
> Description", we will do:
>
>   n EVEN
> n+1 TYPE My Type
> n+1 NOTE Description: My Description
>
> The EVEN tag does not give us a place to add a description, and placing
> it on the EVEN line is not legal. So we will add it as a note with an
> indication that it is the description.
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
> Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
> Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
> Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
>
>
>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

Julio Sánchez-2
Sorry, I was looking at a patched copy, GRAMPS is no exporting LATI or
LONG currently.

Julio

2007/8/23, Julio Sánchez <[hidden email]>:

> Don:
>
> Is FACT standard GEDCOM?  I can't find it.
>
> Anyway, remember that some things that GRAMPS calls events (OCCU,
> etc.) are handled differently than things like BIRT or MARR.
>
> When you say no extensions, is GRAMPS going to stop producing LATI and
> LONG with places, that are not in 5.5 and only in the proposed 5.5.1?
>
> On the other hand, I would like GRAMPS to always generate _UID if no
> other Unique Identifier attribute is present in the person entry.  It
> is also not in the standard, but seems to be what everyone, PAF
> included, uses to assist in merging.
>
> Can you clarify what you mean by no extensions?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Julio
>
> 2007/8/23, Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:
> > As some of you know, I have been working on the GEDCOM import and export
> > for the 3.0 branch.
> >
> > I thought I ought to outline the goals for the update, just so everyone
> > would know what is coming.
> >
> > IMPORT - with GEDCOM import, we will attempt to import everything that
> >          reasonably can. We will try to handle as many of the
> >          "extensions" each program likes to add.
> >
> > EXPORT - with GEDCOM export, the goal is to adhere to the GEDCOM 5.5
> >          specification. We will no longer try to produce custom versions
> >          for different targets. This is a self defeating goal.  We will
> >          generate clean GEDCOM, and will not add any extensions.
> >
> > So, custom attributes will written with the FACT token. If you have a
> > custom attribute in GRAMPS with a type of "My Type" and a value of "My
> > Value", we will generate:
> >
> >   n FACT My Value
> > n+1 TYPE My Type
> >
> > If we have a custom event, of type "My Type" and a description of "My
> > Description", we will do:
> >
> >   n EVEN
> > n+1 TYPE My Type
> > n+1 NOTE Description: My Description
> >
> > The EVEN tag does not give us a place to add a description, and placing
> > it on the EVEN line is not legal. So we will add it as a note with an
> > indication that it is the description.
> >
> >
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
> > Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
> > Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
> > Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
> > _______________________________________________
> > Gramps-devel mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
> >
> >
> >
>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

jgsack
In reply to this post by Julio Sánchez-2
Julio Sánchez wrote:
> Don:
>
> Is FACT standard GEDCOM?  I can't find it.
>

I don't see FACT, either --  in the document I find useful,
  http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~pmcbride/gedcom/55gcint.htm
especially useful is chapter 2:
  http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~pmcbride/gedcom/55gcch2.htm#S3

Some googling shows "FACT" references related to family tree maker and
someone else talking about custom fields.

? Perhaps this is a commonly honored customization?

? Perhaps there are better references?

? Perhaps NOTE might be worth considering

? Tougher: is it possible (with some cleverness) to make export of such
non-Gedcom concepts survive a round trip -- that is, import puts it back
how & where gramps originally had it in the gramps database?

Regards,
..jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

Don Allingham-3
In reply to this post by Julio Sánchez-2
FACT is gedcom 5.5.1

Don

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 06:52 +0200, Julio Sánchez wrote:

> Don:
>
> Is FACT standard GEDCOM?  I can't find it.
>
> Anyway, remember that some things that GRAMPS calls events (OCCU,
> etc.) are handled differently than things like BIRT or MARR.
>
> When you say no extensions, is GRAMPS going to stop producing LATI and
> LONG with places, that are not in 5.5 and only in the proposed 5.5.1?
>
> On the other hand, I would like GRAMPS to always generate _UID if no
> other Unique Identifier attribute is present in the person entry.  It
> is also not in the standard, but seems to be what everyone, PAF
> included, uses to assist in merging.
>
> Can you clarify what you mean by no extensions?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Julio
>
> 2007/8/23, Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:
> > As some of you know, I have been working on the GEDCOM import and export
> > for the 3.0 branch.
> >
> > I thought I ought to outline the goals for the update, just so everyone
> > would know what is coming.
> >
> > IMPORT - with GEDCOM import, we will attempt to import everything that
> >          reasonably can. We will try to handle as many of the
> >          "extensions" each program likes to add.
> >
> > EXPORT - with GEDCOM export, the goal is to adhere to the GEDCOM 5.5
> >          specification. We will no longer try to produce custom versions
> >          for different targets. This is a self defeating goal.  We will
> >          generate clean GEDCOM, and will not add any extensions.
> >
> > So, custom attributes will written with the FACT token. If you have a
> > custom attribute in GRAMPS with a type of "My Type" and a value of "My
> > Value", we will generate:
> >
> >   n FACT My Value
> > n+1 TYPE My Type
> >
> > If we have a custom event, of type "My Type" and a description of "My
> > Description", we will do:
> >
> >   n EVEN
> > n+1 TYPE My Type
> > n+1 NOTE Description: My Description
> >
> > The EVEN tag does not give us a place to add a description, and placing
> > it on the EVEN line is not legal. So we will add it as a note with an
> > indication that it is the description.
> >
> >
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
> > Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
> > Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
> > Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
> > _______________________________________________
> > Gramps-devel mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
> >
> >
> >


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

bm-5
You find pdf of it on
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEDCOM

Benny

Quoting Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:

> FACT is gedcom 5.5.1
>
> Don
>
> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 06:52 +0200, Julio Sánchez wrote:
>> Don:
>>
>> Is FACT standard GEDCOM?  I can't find it.
>>
>> Anyway, remember that some things that GRAMPS calls events (OCCU,
>> etc.) are handled differently than things like BIRT or MARR.
>>
>> When you say no extensions, is GRAMPS going to stop producing LATI and
>> LONG with places, that are not in 5.5 and only in the proposed 5.5.1?
>>
>> On the other hand, I would like GRAMPS to always generate _UID if no
>> other Unique Identifier attribute is present in the person entry.  It
>> is also not in the standard, but seems to be what everyone, PAF
>> included, uses to assist in merging.
>>
>> Can you clarify what you mean by no extensions?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Julio
>>
>> 2007/8/23, Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:
>> > As some of you know, I have been working on the GEDCOM import and expo
rt
>> > for the 3.0 branch.
>> >
>> > I thought I ought to outline the goals for the update, just so everyon
e
>> > would know what is coming.
>> >
>> > IMPORT - with GEDCOM import, we will attempt to import everything that
>> >          reasonably can. We will try to handle as many of the
>> >          "extensions" each program likes to add.
>> >
>> > EXPORT - with GEDCOM export, the goal is to adhere to the GEDCOM 5.5
>> >          specification. We will no longer try to produce custom versio
ns
>> >          for different targets. This is a self defeating goal.  We wil
l

>> >          generate clean GEDCOM, and will not add any extensions.
>> >
>> > So, custom attributes will written with the FACT token. If you have a
>> > custom attribute in GRAMPS with a type of "My Type" and a value of "My
>> > Value", we will generate:
>> >
>> >   n FACT My Value
>> > n+1 TYPE My Type
>> >
>> > If we have a custom event, of type "My Type" and a description of "My
>> > Description", we will do:
>> >
>> >   n EVEN
>> > n+1 TYPE My Type
>> > n+1 NOTE Description: My Description
>> >
>> > The EVEN tag does not give us a place to add a description, and placin
g
>> > it on the EVEN line is not legal. So we will add it as a note with an
>> > indication that it is the description.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
---
>> > This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
>> > Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
>> > Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser
.

>> > Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > Gramps-devel mailing list
>> > [hidden email]
>> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
>> >
>> >
>> >
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
> Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
> Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
> Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
>



----------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

bm-5
In reply to this post by Don Allingham-3
Looking at this

EVEN description

is also 5.5.1 And then TYPE is the event, but otherwise type is a
classification

This standard really sucks.
It creates some difficult user interface for users that have never heard of
GEDCOM. I suggest to rationalize this in GRAMPS GUI a bit more intelligent,
 to
make it for first time users much more clear how to use the events:

In all cases, a description field can be offered. This is like a one
line note.
Never some other meaning. It is not because GEDCOM needs several thing, we
should confuse the meaning of the GRAMPS GUI

In all cases, a help button is given. If clicked info of the event is
given. Eg,
Bless, 'A religious event of bestowing divine care or intercession. You
can give
a subtype of blessing, date of blessing, place of blessing, and a short
optional
description. We can copy the text from GEDCOM specification mostly

Furthermore, the event editor changes depending on the chosen event,
allowing to
give data, subtype or nothing :

1/ events that need data, eg profession event (OCCU tag). A field is
shown under
the type wich is called. Profession:
So the field changes depending on what one selects.

2/ events that do not need data, but allow for subtypes, eg Graduation,
subtype:
college, university, .... The event editor also has an extra field, but now
 a
drop down entry box with common options.

3/ events of which the type is clear. Do not offer an extra subtype
possibility.
Eg. Civil Union, or Civil Marriage. (in GEDCOM MARR with a type).

4/ custom events. If we use the 'EVEN description' approach of 5.5.1, we ca
n
provide a subtype too, and have it exported in this description.

For the above the logic needs to change, the GUI needs to change, and
we need a
database field to store the new field. We could also drop description,
and call
that a note, reusing description for the new field.
I can do most of that. Not DB changes though.

Benny

Quoting Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:

> FACT is gedcom 5.5.1
>
> Don
>
> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 06:52 +0200, Julio Sánchez wrote:
>> Don:
>>
>> Is FACT standard GEDCOM?  I can't find it.
>>
>> Anyway, remember that some things that GRAMPS calls events (OCCU,
>> etc.) are handled differently than things like BIRT or MARR.
>>
>> When you say no extensions, is GRAMPS going to stop producing LATI and
>> LONG with places, that are not in 5.5 and only in the proposed 5.5.1?
>>
>> On the other hand, I would like GRAMPS to always generate _UID if no
>> other Unique Identifier attribute is present in the person entry.  It
>> is also not in the standard, but seems to be what everyone, PAF
>> included, uses to assist in merging.
>>
>> Can you clarify what you mean by no extensions?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Julio
>>
>> 2007/8/23, Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:
>> > As some of you know, I have been working on the GEDCOM import and expo
rt
>> > for the 3.0 branch.
>> >
>> > I thought I ought to outline the goals for the update, just so everyon
e
>> > would know what is coming.
>> >
>> > IMPORT - with GEDCOM import, we will attempt to import everything that
>> >          reasonably can. We will try to handle as many of the
>> >          "extensions" each program likes to add.
>> >
>> > EXPORT - with GEDCOM export, the goal is to adhere to the GEDCOM 5.5
>> >          specification. We will no longer try to produce custom versio
ns
>> >          for different targets. This is a self defeating goal.  We wil
l

>> >          generate clean GEDCOM, and will not add any extensions.
>> >
>> > So, custom attributes will written with the FACT token. If you have a
>> > custom attribute in GRAMPS with a type of "My Type" and a value of "My
>> > Value", we will generate:
>> >
>> >   n FACT My Value
>> > n+1 TYPE My Type
>> >
>> > If we have a custom event, of type "My Type" and a description of "My
>> > Description", we will do:
>> >
>> >   n EVEN
>> > n+1 TYPE My Type
>> > n+1 NOTE Description: My Description
>> >
>> > The EVEN tag does not give us a place to add a description, and placin
g
>> > it on the EVEN line is not legal. So we will add it as a note with an
>> > indication that it is the description.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
---
>> > This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
>> > Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
>> > Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser
.

>> > Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > Gramps-devel mailing list
>> > [hidden email]
>> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
>> >
>> >
>> >
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
> Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
> Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
> Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
>



----------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

jgsack
In reply to this post by Don Allingham-3
Don Allingham wrote:
> FACT is gedcom 5.5.1

Ahhh, thanks.

Do you/anybody know: is this "draft" receiving recognition in the
general community?

Another dumb question: is there really any official standards group,
since LDS has (if I understand correctly) abandoned work on 6.0 and/or
ongoing development?

What is the future of genealogy standards?

Regards,
..jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

Duncan Lithgow-2
On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 13:24 -0700, James G. Sack (jim) wrote:

> Don Allingham wrote:
> > FACT is gedcom 5.5.1
>
> Ahhh, thanks.
>
> Do you/anybody know: is this "draft" receiving recognition in the
> general community?
>
> Another dumb question: is there really any official standards group,
> since LDS has (if I understand correctly) abandoned work on 6.0 and/or
> ongoing development?
>
> What is the future of genealogy standards?
Last time we talked about this it sounded like no-one is doing anything.
But the GRAMPS XML is very well documented, so anyone could implement
that.

Does anyone think OASIS would be interested in taking on a genealogy
standard?

Duncan


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

Don Allingham
As far as we've been able to tell, no one is doing anything, and no one
is interested in doing anything.

The commercial programs have little interest in defining anything better
than GEDCOM. After all, if it was easy to transfer your data, where is
their lock in?

Several months ago, Alex approached several of the other F/OSS projects
to see if they would be willing to collaborate on an interchange format.
No project was interested.

So, we decided to document that GRAMPS XML format as best we could. What
else can we do?

Don

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 23:44 +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 13:24 -0700, James G. Sack (jim) wrote:
> > Don Allingham wrote:
> > > FACT is gedcom 5.5.1
> >
> > Ahhh, thanks.
> >
> > Do you/anybody know: is this "draft" receiving recognition in the
> > general community?
> >
> > Another dumb question: is there really any official standards group,
> > since LDS has (if I understand correctly) abandoned work on 6.0 and/or
> > ongoing development?
> >
> > What is the future of genealogy standards?
> Last time we talked about this it sounded like no-one is doing anything.
> But the GRAMPS XML is very well documented, so anyone could implement
> that.
>
> Does anyone think OASIS would be interested in taking on a genealogy
> standard?
>
> Duncan
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
> Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
> Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
> Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

Don Allingham-3
In reply to this post by jgsack
On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 13:24 -0700, James G. Sack (jim) wrote:
> Don Allingham wrote:
> > FACT is gedcom 5.5.1
>
> Ahhh, thanks.
>
> Do you/anybody know: is this "draft" receiving recognition in the
> general community?

This is the latest spec available, and we are seeing GEDCOM files with
these newer features. And since it is 8 years old, it isn't anything
leading edge.

> Another dumb question: is there really any official standards group,
> since LDS has (if I understand correctly) abandoned work on 6.0 and/or
> ongoing development?
>
> What is the future of genealogy standards?

From what I've seen as of today, there is no future for genealogy
standards. GEDCOM 6.0 was abandoned. There have been a few XML formats
(including the GRAMPS format), but as far as I know, only the GRAMPS XML
has been implemented, and that only by GRAMPS :-)

And there is no official standards body. The LDS Church is not a
standards body - they defined GEDCOM to meet their needs, not
necessarily the general needs of genealogy.

Gentech defined a very intricate and complicated data model (that as far
as I know, no one implements), but that is a database conceptual model,
not an interchange file format.

Don



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

jgsack
In reply to this post by jgsack
Don Allingham wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 13:24 -0700, James G. Sack (jim) wrote:
>> Don Allingham wrote:
>>> FACT is gedcom 5.5.1
>> Ahhh, thanks.
>>
>> Do you/anybody know: is this "draft" receiving recognition in the
>> general community?
>
> This is the latest spec available, and we are seeing GEDCOM files with
> these newer features. And since it is 8 years old, it isn't anything
> leading edge.
>
>> Another dumb question: is there really any official standards group,
>> since LDS has (if I understand correctly) abandoned work on 6.0 and/or
>> ongoing development?
>>
>> What is the future of genealogy standards?
>
> From what I've seen as of today, there is no future for genealogy
> standards. GEDCOM 6.0 was abandoned. There have been a few XML formats
> (including the GRAMPS format), but as far as I know, only the GRAMPS XML
> has been implemented, and that only by GRAMPS :-)
>
> And there is no official standards body. The LDS Church is not a
> standards body - they defined GEDCOM to meet their needs, not
> necessarily the general needs of genealogy.
>
> Gentech defined a very intricate and complicated data model (that as far
> as I know, no one implements), but that is a database conceptual model,
> not an interchange file format.
>

OK, thanks for the thoughtful comments.

Regards,
..jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

Don Allingham-3
In reply to this post by bm-5
On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 15:39 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> Looking at this
>
> EVEN description
>
> is also 5.5.1 And then TYPE is the event, but otherwise type is a
> classification
>
> This standard really sucks.

No, it is even worse than this. The 5.5.1 spec only allows the
 
   EVEN description

for Family events (pg 32), not Person events (pg 35).

> It creates some difficult user interface for users that have never heard of
> GEDCOM. I suggest to rationalize this in GRAMPS GUI a bit more intelligent,
>  to
> make it for first time users much more clear how to use the events:

As a general note: GRAMPS is not a GEDCOM editor. We are not using the
GEDCOM model.  Adapting our GUI to the GEDCOM spec and model is the
wrong thing to do.

As an example, just because Microsoft Word and OpenOffice can generate
text documents, the interface does not force itself to only support what
a text document can support.

Don



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

Julio Sánchez-2
In reply to this post by jgsack
2007/8/23, James G. Sack (jim) <[hidden email]>:
> Don Allingham wrote:
> > FACT is gedcom 5.5.1
>
> Ahhh, thanks.
>
> Do you/anybody know: is this "draft" receiving recognition in the
> general community?

PGV 4.1 claims adherence to GEDCOM 5.5.1 specifically.

Julio

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

Julio Sánchez-2
In reply to this post by Don Allingham-3
2007/8/24, Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:
> No, it is even worse than this. The 5.5.1 spec only allows the
>
>    EVEN description
>
> for Family events (pg 32), not Person events (pg 35).

Probably a leftover.  It seems that they were planning on letting the
EVEN line have contents, but decided later that separation was better.
 They forgot to fix families,  I think PGV 4.1 parses both FACT and
EVEN identically.

Regards,

Julio

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

Julio Sánchez-2
In reply to this post by Don Allingham-3
2007/8/24, Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:

> From what I've seen as of today, there is no future for genealogy
> standards. GEDCOM 6.0 was abandoned. There have been a few XML formats
> (including the GRAMPS format), but as far as I know, only the GRAMPS XML
> has been implemented, and that only by GRAMPS :-)

I thing PGV 4.1 implements export to GRAMPS XML.

Best regards,

Julio

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

bm-5
Quoting Julio Sánchez <[hidden email]>:

> I thing PGV 4.1 implements export to GRAMPS XML.
>

This is funny, please read their statement:
http://www.phpgedview.net/neumont.php

We also need an IT professor on our development team!! Free sponsering.

Benny

----------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

bm-5
In reply to this post by Don Allingham-3
Quoting Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:

>
> As a general note: GRAMPS is not a GEDCOM editor. We are not using the
> GEDCOM model.  Adapting our GUI to the GEDCOM spec and model is the
> wrong thing to do.

This is actually what I mean. How we present events _now_ is too much
as that is
designed in GEDCOM.
A new GRAMPS user has no idea how to correctly use this. Eg, selecting event
'Number of Marriages'. I have no idea what the use it, this is a GEDCOM thing.

We should rationalize this, so that users are guided to enter correct
information on selecting an event.
Eg, user selects event 'graduation', we show him a field to enter the type of
graduation, ....

I think that would increase the usability of many of the events, and once and
for all end the questions of new users of how they should use certain events.
How to use them, should be clear in the GUI of GRAMPS, not be something
you are
told by others.

Benny

----------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

jgsack
In reply to this post by bm-5
[hidden email] wrote:
> Quoting Julio Sánchez <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I thing PGV 4.1 implements export to GRAMPS XML.
>>
>
> This is funny, please read their statement:
> http://www.phpgedview.net/neumont.php
>
> We also need an IT professor on our development team!! Free sponsering.

Woo Hoo!!!
Gramps XML sounds like it has some significant momentum.
Those responsible .. take some bows

Here's to Gramps XML as the gedcom replacement :-)

Regards,
..jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GEDCOM work

Douglas S. Blank
In reply to this post by bm-5
[hidden email] wrote:
> Quoting Julio Sánchez <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I thing PGV 4.1 implements export to GRAMPS XML.
>>
>
> This is funny, please read their statement:
> http://www.phpgedview.net/neumont.php
>
> We also need an IT professor on our development team!! Free sponsering.

This isn't as far off as you might guess :)

Part of my (personal) goals is to have an interface that students can
work on, ala:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2005-January/004342.html

Currently however, the students would have to learn more complicated
things in order to learn something not as complicated. Every year it
gets better though...

-Doug

> Benny
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
> Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
> Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
> Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
>


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
12