GEPS 009: Import Export Merge

OldAl
Hi,

In this list there has been some considerable discussion in the thread,
titled:

exporting and importing back results in duplicate references.

Brian M (The Coordinator) has counselled that there should be some formalised
discussion before interested people start hacking the programs and drew
attention that considerable discussion had already occurred earlier and that
the same steps are now repeated again..  A wise suggestion.

Benny M (an active mailing list member and developer) considered that it may
be seen by some as discouragement. In further discussion about another thread
("Call Name") it has been suggested to open a separate wiki page.

Evidently and unintentionally  I mixed up the subject matter of the two
threads
into one, as Benny M has pointed out. Not being known for bashfulness, I
opened a wiki page which Benny M suggested should be under GEPS banner.
Great suggestion!

So now the page is as item in the GEPS list with the URL as follows:

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_009:_Import_Export_Merge

The page has a bare bones  outline of the problem, as seen
from outside.  As I agree with all of the above, I see no harm and only
potential benefits of having a wiki page for it.

However, it will remain just bare bones outline if there are no contributions
from the developers, as well as the potential developers that are interested
in the possible project within the scope of the GRAMPS.  I am interested in
it, but my potential contribution is limited by my age - I am 83 and  really
*should* retire RSN.

One thing that is really, really lacking in this wiki page is a list of files
in the program that are essential for the import-export task and their
category - primary and secondary.  Not a simple matter, particularly for a
total outsider - moi!  Give it a go, if you are interested, no matter if you
participated in the thread
exporting and importing back results in duplicate references
or not.

If you read this  far, thank you for your patience!

Al.

--
Dr Algis Kabaila (PhD Eng)
http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis/

Re: GEPS 009: Import Export Merge

Douglas S. Blank
> Hi,
>
> In this list there has been some considerable discussion in the thread,
> titled:
>
> exporting and importing back results in duplicate references.
>
> Brian M (The Coordinator) has counselled that there should be some
> formalised
> discussion before interested people start hacking the programs and drew
> attention that considerable discussion had already occurred earlier and
> that
> the same steps are now repeated again..  A wise suggestion.
>
> Benny M (an active mailing list member and developer) considered that it
> may
> be seen by some as discouragement. In further discussion about another
> thread
> ("Call Name") it has been suggested to open a separate wiki page.
>
> Evidently and unintentionally  I mixed up the subject matter of the two
> threads
> into one, as Benny M has pointed out. Not being known for bashfulness, I
> opened a wiki page which Benny M suggested should be under GEPS banner.
> Great suggestion!
>
> So now the page is as item in the GEPS list with the URL as follows:
>
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_009:_Import_Export_Merge
>
> The page has a bare bones  outline of the problem, as seen
> from outside.  As I agree with all of the above, I see no harm and only
> potential benefits of having a wiki page for it.
>
> However, it will remain just bare bones outline if there are no
> contributions
> from the developers, as well as the potential developers that are
> interested
> in the possible project within the scope of the GRAMPS.  I am interested
> in
> it, but my potential contribution is limited by my age - I am 83 and
> really
> *should* retire RSN.
>
> One thing that is really, really lacking in this wiki page is a list of
> files
> in the program that are essential for the import-export task and their
> category - primary and secondary.  Not a simple matter, particularly for a
> total outsider - moi!  Give it a go, if you are interested, no matter if
> you
> participated in the thread
> exporting and importing back results in duplicate references
> or not.
>
> If you read this  far, thank you for your patience!

Thanks, Al! I've added some clarifications to that page. I do believe that
this will be the next big feature in gramps. (I hope I'm still hacking on
GRAMPS when I'm 83!)

-Doug

> Al.
>
> --
> Dr Algis Kabaila (PhD Eng)
> http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis/

Re: GEPS 009: Import Export Merge

OldAl
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:28:12 Douglas S. Blank wrote:
[...]

> >My potential contribution is limited by my age - I am 83 and
> > really *should* retire RSN.
> >
> > One thing that is really, really lacking in this wiki page is a list of
> > files
> > in the program that are essential for the import-export task and their
> > category - primary and secondary.  Not a simple matter, particularly for
> > a total outsider - moi!  Give it a go, if you are interested, no matter
> > if you
> > participated in the thread
> > exporting and importing back results in duplicate references
> > or not.
> >
> > If you read this  far, thank you for your patience!
>
> Thanks, Al! I've added some clarifications to that page. I do believe that
> this will be the next big feature in gramps. (I hope I'm still hacking on
> GRAMPS when I'm 83!)
I hope to be around for a while yet and if I don't play chess, I will hack...

> -Doug

Thank you, Doug!

Can you enlighten me of where the end of string is to export? (Or import, or a
part close to the end?).  Just a file name, so I don't spent days plowing
throught the mysteries of the code?

I would be most grateful,

Al.

--
Dr Algis Kabaila (PhD Eng)
http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis/

Re: GEPS 009: Import Export Merge

Julio Sánchez-2
Hello,

I think that merging itself needs consideration, with independence of
the import step.  It is important to understand what is merging used
for, because there may different use cases (I use the term
informally).  Merge while importing is one of those cases or maybe a
family of use cases (depending on whether matching and merging is
completely automated or not).

But there are other use cases that could use some thinking.  For
instance, merge candidate selection has always seemed weird:  in my
universe, potential matches scoring 4 are almost always real matches
(and many scoring 3), while higher scores are invariably false
positives.

I think my code changes shows what the actual merge step itself should
do, but it needs discussing and refining, too.

So I think that the title discourages discussing things that are by no
means solved and that we should begin by describing what people use
merging for or how they would expect it to behave.

Regards,

Julio

2008/8/30 Algis Kabaila <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> In this list there has been some considerable discussion in the thread,
> titled:
>
> exporting and importing back results in duplicate references.
>
> Brian M (The Coordinator) has counselled that there should be some formalised
> discussion before interested people start hacking the programs and drew
> attention that considerable discussion had already occurred earlier and that
> the same steps are now repeated again..  A wise suggestion.
>
> Benny M (an active mailing list member and developer) considered that it may
> be seen by some as discouragement. In further discussion about another thread
> ("Call Name") it has been suggested to open a separate wiki page.
>
> Evidently and unintentionally  I mixed up the subject matter of the two
> threads
> into one, as Benny M has pointed out. Not being known for bashfulness, I
> opened a wiki page which Benny M suggested should be under GEPS banner.
> Great suggestion!
>
> So now the page is as item in the GEPS list with the URL as follows:
>
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_009:_Import_Export_Merge
>
> The page has a bare bones  outline of the problem, as seen
> from outside.  As I agree with all of the above, I see no harm and only
> potential benefits of having a wiki page for it.
>
> However, it will remain just bare bones outline if there are no contributions
> from the developers, as well as the potential developers that are interested
> in the possible project within the scope of the GRAMPS.  I am interested in
> it, but my potential contribution is limited by my age - I am 83 and  really
> *should* retire RSN.
>
> One thing that is really, really lacking in this wiki page is a list of files
> in the program that are essential for the import-export task and their
> category - primary and secondary.  Not a simple matter, particularly for a
> total outsider - moi!  Give it a go, if you are interested, no matter if you
> participated in the thread
> exporting and importing back results in duplicate references
> or not.
>
> If you read this  far, thank you for your patience!
>

> Al.
>
> --
> Dr Algis Kabaila (PhD Eng)
> http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis/

Re: GEPS 009: Import Export Merge

OldAl
Julio,
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:36:36 Julio Sánchez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think that merging itself needs consideration, with independence of
> the import step.  It is important to understand what is merging used
> for, because there may different use cases (I use the term
> informally).  Merge while importing is one of those cases or maybe a
> family of use cases (depending on whether matching and merging is
> completely automated or not).
>
> But there are other use cases that could use some thinking.  For
> instance, merge candidate selection has always seemed weird:  in my
> universe, potential matches scoring 4 are almost always real matches
> (and many scoring 3), while higher scores are invariably false
> positives.
>
> I think my code changes shows what the actual merge step itself should
> do, but it needs discussing and refining, too.
>
> So I think that the title discourages discussing things that are by no
> means solved and that we should begin by describing what people use
> merging for or how they would expect it to behave.
>
> Regards,
>
> Julio
[...]

> > Brian M (The Coordinator) has counselled that there should be some
> > formalised discussion before interested people start hacking the programs
> > and drew attention that considerable discussion had already occurred
> > earlier and that the same steps are now repeated again..  A wise
> > suggestion.
> >
> > Benny M (an active mailing list member and developer) considered that it
> > may be seen by some as discouragement. In further discussion about
> > another thread ("Call Name") it has been suggested to open a separate
> > wiki page.
[...]
A great suggestion! I have two questions to you:
1. What are the names of files that you had to modify?
2. Why not put these suggestions in the wiki page:
http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_009:_Import_Export_Merge
?

Item 1 would help mugs like I to find their way around, though that may not
always be a good thing :-)

Item 2 would justify having a wiki page.  Wiki has very simple formatting and
a mere look at the editing in text mode formatting commands will make you
into expert.

Furthermore, if spelling is a problem, there is an English spell checker built
in and other readers will/should happily improve the writing, beyond the
spelling.

Thank you for you contribution to my enlightenment so far!

Kind regards,
Al.

Al said:

> Can you enlighten me of where the end of string is to export? (Or import,
> or a
> part close to the end?).  Just a file name, so I don't spent days plowing
> throught the mysteries of the code?

I added a section in "Current State" that lists (and links to) the current
files that I am aware of related to merging.

I agree that this is really about merging, whether it is in import or if a
user has selected two objects to merge. Perhaps others can start a section
called "Use Cases" and identify and describe those.

Also, links to the previous conversations would be handy. There is a nice
tool called nabble; see http://www.nabble.com/GRAMPS-f1185.html --- if one
finds past conversations there, add a link to the wiki page.

-Doug

> I would be most grateful,
>
> Al.
>
> --
> Dr Algis Kabaila (PhD Eng)
> http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis/

Re: GEPS 009: Import Export Merge

OldAl
Douglas,

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 22:54:32 Douglas S. Blank wrote:
> Al said:
> > Can you enlighten me of where the end of string is to export? (Or import,
> > or a
> > part close to the end?).  Just a file name, so I don't spent days plowing
> > throught the mysteries of the code?
>
> I added a section in "Current State" that lists (and links to) the current
> files that I am aware of related to merging.

This is just what I found so wanting! actually, it is 3.22 am here. I woke up
thinking I should start looking for the code on this topic, but where?  Great
relief to find your email - thank you so much.

> I agree that this is really about merging, whether it is in import or if a
> user has selected two objects to merge. Perhaps others can start a section
> called "Use Cases" and identify and describe those.

As a start I added a link to a new page "Merging".  If that is acceptable,
click on it (it is still red!) and start organising a separate page. It will
be related to the current Import-Export-Merge page by a link, but that does
not even imply dependence - so the tail won't wag the dog :-)

Of course, if you wish, you could join the "Merging" page directly to the GEPS
source, but I don't know what the procedure or technicalities of that are.

It might seem as if that would be some duplication, but it should not be a
major obstacle.

> Also, links to the previous conversations would be handy. There is a nice
> tool called nabble; see http://www.nabble.com/GRAMPS-f1185.html --- if one
> finds past conversations there, add a link to the wiki page.

I was not aware of this tool. Looks great!  I had a brief look, but I think
that now I should go back to bed.  My wife (of 60+ years of marriage) is
asleep, but she tends to wake up if I sneak out. She is never pleased if I am
tapping on the keyboard at such hour and she is being treated for a very
aggressive cancer.

Thank you once more - you have ably added some very important information,

OldAl.