Quantcast

GEPs: GRAMPS Enhancement Proposals

Douglas S. Blank
Developers,

Here is an idea stolen and adapted from Python: GRAMPS Enhancement
Proposals, or GEPs. The idea would be to put far-reaching ideas in a place
where we can easily find, discuss, and weight them. There are many ideas,
feature requests, todos, etc, sprinkled through the mailing list, wiki,
bug tracker, and code. This puts them all in one place. It also provides a
place for new gramps developers to see what has been discussed and the
outcome.

Here is the basic idea, with two proposals ready for discussion, if you
find the idea useful:

http://developers.gramps-project.org/tiki-index.php?page=GEPS

The first proposal, #0, is for the proposal for GEPS itself, to serve as a
template. The second will be the subject of my next message.

-Doug

Re: GEPs: GRAMPS Enhancement Proposals

bm-7
So,

the idea is to discuss this on the mailing list, or with a feature,
discuss with
notes and mail between people, and use the GEP to summarize, yes?

I think it is needed to have a place to summarize things, as the bug list goes
with added comments (and everybody seems to read only beginning and end, like
on a forum), and the threads in the mailing list can be overly long.

So yes, I like the idea.
However, perhaps better to follow the outline of the PEP's concerning the
sections. Can the tiki-wiki contain an outline section?? (I'm not sure tiki
wiki is as versatile as what PEP uses, eg code segments. )
Also, main page like http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0000/ perhaps
with some
sections to divide GEPs in.

Also, the extended feature requests I have put at the bottom here:
http://developers.gramps-project.org/tiki-index.php?page=UsersWiki
Should they be GEP? It really concerns new stuff.

Also, should you make with every GEP a feature request in the bug tracker? The
advantage there is one links to the other, people (also users) can subscribe
for notification, ....

Benny

Quoting "Douglas S. Blank" <[hidden email]>:

> Developers,
>
> Here is an idea stolen and adapted from Python: GRAMPS Enhancement
> Proposals, or GEPs. The idea would be to put far-reaching ideas in a place
> where we can easily find, discuss, and weight them. There are many ideas,
> feature requests, todos, etc, sprinkled through the mailing list, wiki,
> bug tracker, and code. This puts them all in one place. It also provides a
> place for new gramps developers to see what has been discussed and the
> outcome.
>
> Here is the basic idea, with two proposals ready for discussion, if you
> find the idea useful:
>
> http://developers.gramps-project.org/tiki-index.php?page=GEPS
>
> The first proposal, #0, is for the proposal for GEPS itself, to serve as a
> template. The second will be the subject of my next message.
>
> -Doug

Re: GEPs: GRAMPS Enhancement Proposals

Richard Taylor-2
Doug

I am generally in favour of this approach. However, like everything else, it
will need active maintainance if it is really to be useful.

Someone needs to rationalize the RoadMap section on the wiki with the Feature
requests on the bug tracker. Generally the wiki is a bit out of date and
needs someone to love it and maintain it.

If the GEP initiative is coordinated with a wiki tidy up and is maintained
then I think that it could help.

Richard

On Thursday 18 January 2007 13:47, Douglas S. Blank wrote:

> Developers,
>
> Here is an idea stolen and adapted from Python: GRAMPS Enhancement
> Proposals, or GEPs. The idea would be to put far-reaching ideas in a place
> where we can easily find, discuss, and weight them. There are many ideas,
> feature requests, todos, etc, sprinkled through the mailing list, wiki,
> bug tracker, and code. This puts them all in one place. It also provides a
> place for new gramps developers to see what has been discussed and the
> outcome.
>
> Here is the basic idea, with two proposals ready for discussion, if you
> find the idea useful:
>
> http://developers.gramps-project.org/tiki-index.php?page=GEPS
>
> The first proposal, #0, is for the proposal for GEPS itself, to serve as a
> template. The second will be the subject of my next message.
>
> -Doug

Re: GEPs: GRAMPS Enhancement Proposals

AaronSort
How are the greps numbers assigned. Not that I have time to do it but I was going to start one for upgrading to python 3.X. are they even used anymore? I couldn't find GREP 000 that explains how to use them.
-- AaronS

dsblank wrote
[...]

Benny Malengier
If you look at the roadmap for 3.2 you'll see we intend to run python with -3 flag during development so as to have 3.2 as much as possible 3.x ready.
Actually moving is only possible when all dependencies run on python 3.x

Benny

2009/3/30 AaronSort <[hidden email]>

How are the greps numbers assigned. Not that I have time to do it but I was
going to start one for upgrading to python 3.X. are they even used anymore?
I couldn't find GREP 000 that explains how to use them.
-- AaronS

Re: GEPs: GRAMPS Enhancement Proposals

AaronSort
I hadn't seen that on the road map yet. I knew that about dependencies and wasn't actually trying to get involved in the python 3.x conversion. I just noticed a grep for 2.6 and not one for 3.x so thought I'd get it started. but didn't know how to assign it a number or if that was even necessary any more since some don't have any.

Benny Malengier wrote