GRAMPS 3.0.0

Stéphane Charette-2
GRAMPS 3.0.0 ("It was just getting interesting.") has been released,
and is available for download from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps

This release contains many new features and updates, among which:

* Rewrite of the GEDCOM parser
* Export views to a spreadsheet
* Formatted notes
* Multiple notes
* LDS temple definitions moved to supporting file
* New database format, using hidden directory, old grdb format deprecated
* New database manager, allowing create, deletion, renaming, repair
and revison control

Stéphane Charette

Re: GRAMPS 3.0.0

Stéphane Charette-2
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Stéphane Charette
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> GRAMPS 3.0.0 ("It was just getting interesting.") has been released,

I have a favour to ask to those of you who typically create .exe,
.rpm, .deb, etc...  Please do the following:

1) name your file using the naming standard we've used for previous
releases; examples would be "gramps-3.0.0-1.exe",
"gramps-3.0.0-1.fc8.noarch.rpm"
2) anonymous ftp your file to ftp://upload.sourceforge.net/incoming/
3) send me a direct e-mail with the filename

This way I can update the SF release page even while I'm at work
without having to download and re-upload the package you create.
Thanks!

Stéphane Charette

Re: GRAMPS 3.0.0

Douglas S. Blank
Could someone either unlock the news page, or update it:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=News

I suggest moving the older announcements to the old news, and put in an
announcement for 3.0.0 here. This is the text that gets loaded by the News
Gramplet, so making it short and concise is preferred, with links to more
details.

-Doug

On Tue, March 25, 2008 2:07 am, Stéphane Charette wrote:

> GRAMPS 3.0.0 ("It was just getting interesting.") has been released,
> and is available for download from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps
>
> This release contains many new features and updates, among which:
>
> * Rewrite of the GEDCOM parser
> * Export views to a spreadsheet
> * Formatted notes
> * Multiple notes
> * LDS temple definitions moved to supporting file
> * New database format, using hidden directory, old grdb format deprecated
> * New database manager, allowing create, deletion, renaming, repair
> and revison control
>
> Stéphane Charette

Douglas S. Blank
Associate Professor, Bryn Mawr College
http://cs.brynmawr.edu/~dblank/
Office: 610 526 6501

Re: GRAMPS 3.0.0

Steve Hall-3
From: "Stéphane Charette", Tue, March 25, 2008 2:38 am

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Stéphane Charette wrote:
> >
> > GRAMPS 3.0.0 ("It was just getting interesting.") has been
> > released,
>
> I have a favour to ask to those of you who typically create .exe,
> .rpm, .deb, etc...  Please do the following:
>
> 1) name your file using the naming standard we've used for previous
>    releases; examples would be "gramps-3.0.0-1.exe",
>    "gramps-3.0.0-1.fc8.noarch.rpm"
> 2) anonymous ftp your file to ftp://upload.sourceforge.net/incoming/
> 3) send me a direct e-mail with the filename
>
> This way I can update the SF release page even while I'm at work
> without having to download and re-upload the package you create.
> Thanks!
I just pushed up gramps-3.0.0-1.exe (4,410,713 bytes)

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]

Re: GRAMPS 3.0.0

Stéphane Charette-2
>  I just pushed up gramps-3.0.0-1.exe (4,410,713 bytes)

Done.  Thank you, Steve.

Stéphane

Re: GRAMPS 3.0.0

Jay Treacy
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:07:04PM -0700, Stéphane Charette wrote:
> GRAMPS 3.0.0 ("It was just getting interesting.") has been released,
> and is available for download from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps

I am working on the package for debian and have encountered a few issues.

First, I know that the changelog was removed from CVS but I thought
that it was going to be generated for the release. Not a big deal.

Second, is it intentional that no gconf schema is installed? I know
there was one or more discussion about how preferences are stored but
don't know the final form things took.

Third, debian compiles the python files at package installation time and
an error was encountered:

INFO: using unsupported version '/usr/bin/python2.5'
Compiling /usr/share/gramps/plugins/all_relations.py ...
  File "/usr/share/gramps/plugins/all_relations.py", line 50
    class AllRelReport():
                       ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Is this known? Getting rid of the parentheses fixes the problem.

Fourth, after installing the gramps package, running gramps gives an
error. It can be replicated by simply doing:

bash$ python2.5
>>> import gtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 48, in <module>
    from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: No module named cairo

I've got python-cairo installed. Obviously, this is not a bug in
gramps and I am wondering if anyone else has seen it.

--
                       A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
James Treacy           Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: GRAMPS 3.0.0

Alex Roitman
James,

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 13:49 -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> bash$ python2.5

This works fine on my box with unstable.
The python-cairo package should things into the
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cairo
directory. Can you do this:
   $ python2.5
   >>> import cairo

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org

Re: GRAMPS 3.0.0

Douglas S. Blank
James A. Treacy wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:07:04PM -0700, Stéphane Charette wrote:
>> GRAMPS 3.0.0 ("It was just getting interesting.") has been released,
>> and is available for download from
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps
>
> I am working on the package for debian and have encountered a few issues.
>
> First, I know that the changelog was removed from CVS but I thought
> that it was going to be generated for the release. Not a big deal.

I think I know the answers to these...

If it is required for a distribution, we could create it, but I think
consensus was that we'd rather not.

> Second, is it intentional that no gconf schema is installed? I know
> there was one or more discussion about how preferences are stored but
> don't know the final form things took.

GRAMPS 3.0.0 no longer uses gconf schema, but will read in the old
schema (if you have one) and now stores it in the keys.ini file.

> Third, debian compiles the python files at package installation time and
> an error was encountered:
>
> INFO: using unsupported version '/usr/bin/python2.5'
> Compiling /usr/share/gramps/plugins/all_relations.py ...
>   File "/usr/share/gramps/plugins/all_relations.py", line 50
>     class AllRelReport():
>                        ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> Is this known? Getting rid of the parentheses fixes the problem.

This looks like an older version of Python. Python2.5 allows this.

> Fourth, after installing the gramps package, running gramps gives an
> error. It can be replicated by simply doing:
>
> bash$ python2.5
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 48, in <module>
>     from gtk import _gtk
> ImportError: No module named cairo
>
> I've got python-cairo installed. Obviously, this is not a bug in
> gramps and I am wondering if anyone else has seen it.

Something looks wrong with your Python install.

-Doug

Re: GRAMPS 3.0.0

Brian Matherly
James,

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:07:04PM -0700, Stéphane
> Charette wrote:
> > GRAMPS 3.0.0 ("It was just getting interesting.")
> has been released,
> > and is available for download from
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps
>
> I am working on the package for debian and have
> encountered a few issues.
>
> First, I know that the changelog was removed from
> CVS but I thought
> that it was going to be generated for the release.
> Not a big deal.

A ChangeLog was generated and exists here:
https://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps/tags/gramps-3.0.0/src/ChangeLog
https://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps/tags/gramps-3.0.0/po/ChangeLog

Stephane,
Did those files make it into the release?

> Second, is it intentional that no gconf schema is
> installed? I know
> there was one or more discussion about how
> preferences are stored but
> don't know the final form things took.

There should be NO gconf schema installed. All
preferences are stored in .ini and .xml files.

> Third, debian compiles the python files at package
> installation time and
> an error was encountered:
>
> INFO: using unsupported version '/usr/bin/python2.5'
> Compiling /usr/share/gramps/plugins/all_relations.py
>   File "/usr/share/gramps/plugins/all_relations.py",
> line 50
>     class AllRelReport():
>                        ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> Is this known? Getting rid of the parentheses fixes
> the problem.

That looks like a bug. Please be so kind as to file an
issue on the tracker. I hope that doesn't cause a lot
of headaches for our packagers.

> Fourth, after installing the gramps package, running
> gramps gives an
> error. It can be replicated by simply doing:
>
> bash$ python2.5
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File

"/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
> line 48, in <module>
>     from gtk import _gtk
> ImportError: No module named cairo
>
> I've got python-cairo installed. Obviously, this is
> not a bug in
> gramps and I am wondering if anyone else has seen
> it.

The error suggests you don't have pycairo installed -
at least not properly. Without that, Gramps will never
run.

Thanks for everything Treacy!

~Brian

Re: GRAMPS 3.0.0

Jay Treacy
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:22:12AM -0700, Alex Roitman wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 13:49 -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > bash$ python2.5
>
> This works fine on my box with unstable.
> The python-cairo package should things into the
>     /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cairo
> directory. Can you do this:
>    $ python2.5
>    >>> import cairo

bash$ ls /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cairo/
_cairo.so

Now I am wondering why there is no link
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cairo/__init__.py -> /usr/share/pycentral/python-cairo/site-packages/cairo/__init__.py
If I create that, everything works - although I would have thought it
would read in my old data. I'll file a bug against the right package
(probably python-cairo).

--
                       A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 14:46 -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:22:12AM -0700, Alex Roitman wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 13:49 -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > > bash$ python2.5
> >
> > This works fine on my box with unstable.
> > The python-cairo package should things into the
> >     /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cairo
> > directory. Can you do this:
> >    $ python2.5
> >    >>> import cairo
>
> bash$ ls /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cairo/
> _cairo.so
Right, but no __init__ for some reason. My box has:
   $ ls /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cairo
_cairo.so  __init__.py  __init__.pyc

Did postinst finish OK for python-cairo?

> Now I am wondering why there is no link
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cairo/__init__.py -> /usr/share/pycentral/python-cairo/site-packages/cairo/__init__.py

Yes, I wonder why.

> If I create that, everything works - although I would have thought it
> would read in my old data. I'll file a bug against the right package
> (probably python-cairo).

If it installed without issues then I guess it's their bug.
Strange that it installed properly for me.

Alex

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 02:27:19PM -0400, Douglas S. Blank wrote:

> James A. Treacy wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:07:04PM -0700, Stéphane Charette wrote:
>>> GRAMPS 3.0.0 ("It was just getting interesting.") has been released,
>>> and is available for download from
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps
>>
>> I am working on the package for debian and have encountered a few issues.
>>
>> First, I know that the changelog was removed from CVS but I thought
>> that it was going to be generated for the release. Not a big deal.
>
> I think I know the answers to these...
>
> If it is required for a distribution, we could create it, but I think
> consensus was that we'd rather not.

No problem.

>> Second, is it intentional that no gconf schema is installed? I know
>> there was one or more discussion about how preferences are stored but
>> don't know the final form things took.
>
> GRAMPS 3.0.0 no longer uses gconf schema, but will read in the old schema
> (if you have one) and now stores it in the keys.ini file.

Just what I wanted to know.

>> Third, debian compiles the python files at package installation time and
>> an error was encountered:
>>
>> INFO: using unsupported version '/usr/bin/python2.5'
>> Compiling /usr/share/gramps/plugins/all_relations.py ...
>>   File "/usr/share/gramps/plugins/all_relations.py", line 50
>>     class AllRelReport():
>>                        ^
>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>
>> Is this known? Getting rid of the parentheses fixes the problem.
>
> This looks like an older version of Python. Python2.5 allows this.

Odd. I'll check into this further.

>> Fourth, after installing the gramps package, running gramps gives an
>> error. It can be replicated by simply doing:
>>
>> bash$ python2.5
>
> Something looks wrong with your Python install.

The cause is explained in another mail. Again, it's a debian issue
(probably with the python-cairo package).

Thanks for the quick response. I'll upload the debian package
shortly.

--
                       A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
James Treacy           Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
[hidden email]      A: Top-posting.

Re: GRAMPS 3.0.0

zsolt foldvari-2
Brian,

On 3/25/08, Brian Matherly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A ChangeLog was generated and exists here:
>  https://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps/tags/gramps-3.0.0/src/ChangeLog
>  https://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps/tags/gramps-3.0.0/po/ChangeLog

ChangeLog files miss the filenames of the modified modulesl. I guess
it should be something like this:

# svn2cl.sh -r BASE:HEAD --break-before-msg --reparagraph --stdout -i
--authors=authors.xml src/

        * [r10380] plugins/BookReport.py:
          0001950: BUG: Book report, Ancestor Tree - selecting desired
          person do not work

        * [r10383] gen/lib/attrtype.py:
          (same as r10379 on trunk) remove dup NUM_CHILD entry in _DATAMAP
          list

        * [r10384] GrampsDbUtils/_GedcomParse.py:
          (same as trunk r10378) #1853, #1679, #1849: Remove code that
          auto-generates descripion field for events in imported gedcom.
          Such descriptions can always be done via the "Extract event
          descriptions from event data" tool if really wanted.

Zsolt

Re: GRAMPS 3.0.0

Brian Matherly
> ChangeLog files miss the filenames of the modified
> modulesl. I guess
> it should be something like this:
>
> # svn2cl.sh -r BASE:HEAD --break-before-msg
> --reparagraph --stdout -i
> --authors=authors.xml src/

I actually used the Windows port:
http://kzmizzz.googlepages.com/svn2clwin-en

I wonder if it works differently.

~Brian

Fwd: GRAMPS 3.0.0

Lee Myers-2

Re: Fwd: GRAMPS 3.0.0

Stéphane Charette-2
> I keep getting this error how do I fix it? or at least what is going wrong.
[...]
>   testing gnome-doc-prepare... found 0.12.0
> Checking for required M4 macros...
>   glib-gettext.m4 not found
>  ***Error***: some autoconf macros required to build gramps

Take a look at this wiki page:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Running_a_development_version_of_Gramps

...which among other things has this information:

    *  if you get a failure about glib-gettext.m4, install it:
    sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev
    ./autogen.sh

Stéphane