GRAMPS 3.1.0 (I am the director of a publishing company) released!

GRAMPS 3.1.0 (I am the director of a publishing company) released!

Stéphane Charette-2
The GRAMPS Developers and community proudly presents:

Version 3.1.0 of GRAMPS!  The "I am the director of a publishing
company" release.

Featuring:

* Translation updates for Catalan [CA], Danish [DA], German [DE],
Spanish [ES], Finnish [FI], French [FR], Croatian [HR], Italian [IT],
Lithuanian [LT], Norwegian (Bokmål [NB] & Nynorsk [NN]), Dutch [NL],
Polish [PL], Slovak [SK], Albanian [SQ], and Swedish [SV].  Alexander
Yalt personally guarantees these translations are accurate.

* "I will not buy this record."  (Too many changes and bug fixes to
list since 3.0.0 was released 1 year ago in March 2008.)

* "My hovercraft is full of eels."  (Fixes, fixes, and more fixes.
Several new features, styled notes, updates to gramplets and reports.)

* "If I said you have a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
 (Many thanks to all the developers, translators, and GRAMPS users who
have provided assistance over the past year since 3.0.0 was first
released.)

* "You have beautiful thighs."  (Since 3.0.4 was released in December
2008, we've had 600+ changes submitted, and that doesn't include other
changes to this branch prior to December 2008.  This is a very active
release!  See ChangeLog for the full details.)

Playing at a movie theatre near you!  Or if not, from the usual GRAMPS
download page on SourceForge:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=25770&package_id=109309

Stéphane Charette

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 (I am the director of a publishing company) released!

Benny Malengier
For those wanting info with a bit less pun: http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=3.1_Roadmap

The most visual changes the user will note are markup in the notes (underline, bold, ...), reordering of some editors so they can be made smaller so as to fit in the new small form factor netbooks, new gramplets and updated html reports. And much much more less visible things.

A slew of changes is already waiting for 3.1.1, while 3.2 will be here in one year ...

Benny

2009/3/7 Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]>
[...]

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

Doug-11
At the moment there seem to be some major bugs in 3.1.
After allowing gramps 3.1 to update my databases it seems impossible to
edit anything - Notes, Media, Sources, Places.
Attempting to Edit causes a crash or if it doesn't do that, the Edit tag
is greyed out and unavailable.
I've submitted about 5 bug reports and hope it will be sorted soon as it
makes gramps pretty well unusable for me.

Doug

Benny Malengier wrote:

> For those wanting info with a bit less pun:
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=3.1_Roadmap
>
> The most visual changes the user will note are markup in the notes
> (underline, bold, ...), reordering of some editors so they can be made
> smaller so as to fit in the new small form factor netbooks, new
> gramplets and updated html reports. And much much more less visible
> things.
>
> A slew of changes is already waiting for 3.1.1, while 3.2 will be here
> in one year ...
>
> Benny
>
> 2009/3/7 Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     The GRAMPS Developers and community proudly presents:
>
>     Version 3.1.0 of GRAMPS! Â The "I am the director of a publishing
>     company" release.

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

jerome
The safety way for database migration is to export to GRAMPS XML format
before updgrade and to import it into the new version.

Doug a écrit :

> At the moment there seem to be some major bugs in 3.1.
> After allowing gramps 3.1 to update my databases it seems impossible to
> edit anything - Notes, Media, Sources, Places.
> Attempting to Edit causes a crash or if it doesn't do that, the Edit tag
> is greyed out and unavailable.
> I've submitted about 5 bug reports and hope it will be sorted soon as it
> makes gramps pretty well unusable for me.
>
> Doug
>

> Benny Malengier wrote:
>> For those wanting info with a bit less pun:
>> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=3.1_Roadmap
>>
>> The most visual changes the user will note are markup in the notes
>> (underline, bold, ...), reordering of some editors so they can be made
>> smaller so as to fit in the new small form factor netbooks, new
>> gramplets and updated html reports. And much much more less visible
>> things.
>>
>> A slew of changes is already waiting for 3.1.1, while 3.2 will be here
>> in one year ...
>>
>> Benny
>>
>> 2009/3/7 Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>
>>     The GRAMPS Developers and community proudly presents:
>>
>>     Version 3.1.0 of GRAMPS! Â The "I am the director of a publishing
>>     company" release.

>> Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA
>> -OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise
>> -Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation
>> -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFAD
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

Stéphane Charette-2
At the moment, I must say that 3.1.0 is installed and working just
fine on my own Ubuntu 8.10 system.  I installed it and used it prior
to uploading the tarball and .deb files to the Sourceforge download
page.  I think if there were "some major bugs" that were preventing
people from doing things as simple as "editing anything", we'd have
noticed during the 1 year leading up the release of 3.1.0.

I understand, Doug, you may have run into problems with your
installation.  We need to understand more how that happened, how you
installed, what type of system, etc.  Entering bugs on Mantis as
you've done is a good first step.  I think we'll need more details as
I -- nor anyone else that I know -- has reproduced the types of
problems you are describing.  It certainly didn't come up during the
development lead in January and February when many people were using,
fixing, and testing 3.1.0.

If anyone else has feedback from trying out 3.1.0, please post so we
can gauge more accurately how 3.1.0 is working for people.

To reply to Jérôme's posting:  GRAMPS 3.1.0 easily and automatically
migrated my real 3.0.x database of 3000 people when I ran GRAMPS 3.1.0
for the first time on this computer tonight.  While having backups of
your genealogy is always a good thing, upgrading to GRAMPS 3.1.0
doesn't require that people backup their database and then restore it.
 (Just wanted to clear that up in case it wasn't obvious.)  If you
want to make backups of your database, more information is available
from http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_backup
.

Best regards,

Stéphane

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 05:00, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At the moment there seem to be some major bugs in 3.1.
> After allowing gramps 3.1 to update my databases it seems impossible to edit
> anything - Notes, Media, Sources, Places.
> Attempting to Edit causes a crash or if it doesn't do that, the Edit tag is
> greyed out and unavailable.
> I've submitted about 5 bug reports and hope it will be sorted soon as it
> makes gramps pretty well unusable for me.
>
> Doug
>

> Benny Malengier wrote:
>>
>> For those wanting info with a bit less pun:
>> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=3.1_Roadmap
>>
>> The most visual changes the user will note are markup in the notes
>> (underline, bold, ...), reordering of some editors so they can be made
>> smaller so as to fit in the new small form factor netbooks, new gramplets
>> and updated html reports. And much much more less visible things.
>>
>> A slew of changes is already waiting for 3.1.1, while 3.2 will be here in
>> one year ...
>>
>> Benny
>>
>> 2009/3/7 Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>
>>    The GRAMPS Developers and community proudly presents:
>>
>>    Version 3.1.0 of GRAMPS! Â The "I am the director of a publishing
>>    company" release.

>> Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco,
>> CA
>> -OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the
>> Enterprise
>> -Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source
>> participation
>> -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code:
>> SFAD
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

Doug-11
Stephane,
Thanks for your reply - the problem certainly came as a big surprise to
me after the smooth upgrading of earlier versions!

I'm running Mandriva 2008.1, Gnome 2.22; with gramps 3.0.4-1 just prior
to upgrading.
As on previous occasions, I installed from the tarball. I installed on
top of 3.0.4-1; I didn't uninstall first. I also didn't delete ~/.gramps.
I installed with ./configure, make and make install, sending the output
of each command to a file so I could inspect it - everything appeared to
go flawlessly.

I then ran gramps 3.1 and loaded a tree. gramps produced a message that
I should upgrade the database and that it would be incompatible with
earlier versions of gramps. I accepted this, doing the same with a
couple of other trees.

The trees appeared exactly the same as before upgrading.
It was when I attempted to make any use of the Edit facility (which I
frequently do in order to view what's written in a Note, for instance)
that the problem arose.  The Edit either crashed with an error report
or, in one or two cases instead had Edit blanked out.

What do you suggest?

(At the moment I've re-installed 3.0.4-1 over the top of 3.1 and
re-copied the earlier version of ~/.gramps back. Everything is working
normally)

Doug

Stéphane Charette wrote:

> [...]
>>> and updated html reports. And much much more less visible things.
>>>
>>> A slew of changes is already waiting for 3.1.1, while 3.2 will be here in
>>> one year ...
>>>
>>> Benny
>>>
>>> 2009/3/7 Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>>
>>>    The GRAMPS Developers and community proudly presents:
>>>
>>>    Version 3.1.0 of GRAMPS! Â The "I am the director of a publishing
>>>    company" release.

>>> Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco,
>>> CA
>>> -OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the
>>> Enterprise
>>> -Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source
>>> participation
>>> -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code:

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

Benny Malengier
This is python, you cannot install over an older version, you must uninstall the old version and then install the new. Otherwise things go _VERY_ wrong.

If you work with packages you can install over the old package, otherwise not. This is because python is not compiled, so it can load stuff that is present, even if it was from an older version.

So delete GRAMPS install completely, then reinstall, then see if it works.

Benny

Benny Malengier wrote:

[...]

Fine. OK, will do.
Thanks, Benny

Doug

Benny Malengier wrote:

> This is python, you cannot install over an older version, you must
> uninstall the old version and then install the new. Otherwise things
> go _VERY_ wrong.
>
> If you work with packages you can install over the old package,
> otherwise not. This is because python is not compiled, so it can load
> stuff that is present, even if it was from an older version.
>
> So delete GRAMPS install completely, then reinstall, then see if it works.
>
> Benny
>
> 2009/3/7 Doug <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Stephane,

<snip>

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

Doug-11
Benny,
I've done as you said and all is well.

However the INSTALL file of the tarball really ought to warn about
uninstalling any older version first.
With many other tarballs I've installed it's been made clear if that was
necessary.

Thanks for your help!

Doug

Benny Malengier wrote:

> This is python, you cannot install over an older version, you must
> uninstall the old version and then install the new. Otherwise things
> go _VERY_ wrong.
>
> If you work with packages you can install over the old package,
> otherwise not. This is because python is not compiled, so it can load
> stuff that is present, even if it was from an older version.
>
> So delete GRAMPS install completely, then reinstall, then see if it works.
>
> Benny

<snip>

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

Benny Malengier

2009/3/7 Doug <[hidden email]>
Benny,
I've done as you said and all is well.

However the INSTALL file of the tarball really ought to warn about uninstalling any older version first.
With many other tarballs I've installed it's been made clear if that was necessary.

I updated the INSTALL file to indicate the old version must be removed. This will be present in 3.1.1

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

N James Bridge
On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 21:12 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2009/3/7 Doug <[hidden email]>
>         Benny,
>         I've done as you said and all is well.
>
>         However the INSTALL file of the tarball really ought to warn
>         about uninstalling any older version first.
>         With many other tarballs I've installed it's been made clear
>         if that was necessary.
>
> I updated the INSTALL file to indicate the old version must be
> removed. This will be present in 3.1.1

I installed 3.1.1 from the tarball, into Fedora 10. Gramps 3.0.4 had
been installed from a rpm so I just removed it first. But it will not
be so easy next time: just what does one have to uninstall?

Aside from this all is fine, except that in a note, clicking on the box
for "pre-formatted" makes no difference now.

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

Doug-11
James Bridge wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 21:12 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:
>
>> 2009/3/7 Doug <[hidden email]>
>>         Benny,
>>         I've done as you said and all is well.
>>
>>         However the INSTALL file of the tarball really ought to warn
>>         about uninstalling any older version first.
>>         With many other tarballs I've installed it's been made clear
>>         if that was necessary.
>>
>> I updated the INSTALL file to indicate the old version must be
>> removed. This will be present in 3.1.1
>>

> I installed 3.1.1 from the tarball, into Fedora 10. Gramps 3.0.4 had
> been installed from a rpm so I just removed it first. But it will not
> be so easy next time: just what does one have to uninstall?
>
> Aside from this all is fine, except that in a note, clicking on the box
> for "pre-formatted" makes no difference now

I don't know about Fedora 10 but I guess it must have something
corresponding to Mandriva/Gnome.
Use a 'Find File' facility to locate all files containing the word
'gramps' in /usr (or might be /opt on your system).
As root, delete them all.
Delete ~/.gramps.

*BUT FIRST* make sure you've  exported all your trees as Gramps XML or
portable XML, saved the rev.gramps,v files for them if you have any
archived versions, and saved a copy of the ~/.gramps directory, so that
you can retrieve any custom_filters.xml  files and plugins you may want
to put back. Once ~/.gramps has been deleted you've lost everything!

Doug

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

Benny Malengier
Hmm,

please, don't delete .gramps folder, it contains your filters and databases. GRAMPS will ask to upgrade your data on selection.
The plugins you have downloaded might stop working, so go over your .gramps/plugins folder and try to obtain new versions.
PlaceCompletion will be available soon normally.

Benny

2009/3/7 James Bridge <[hidden email]>
On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 21:12 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2009/3/7 Doug <[hidden email]>
>         Benny,
>         I've done as you said and all is well.
>
>         However the INSTALL file of the tarball really ought to warn
>         about uninstalling any older version first.
>         With many other tarballs I've installed it's been made clear
>         if that was necessary.
>
> I updated the INSTALL file to indicate the old version must be
> removed. This will be present in 3.1.1

I installed 3.1.1 from the tarball, into Fedora 10. Gramps 3.0.4 had
been installed from a rpm so I just removed it first. But it will not
be so easy next time: just what does one have to uninstall?

If you do  a source install, you know where you installed. Just delete that directory..

Aside from this all is fine, except that in a note, clicking on the box
for "pre-formatted" makes no difference now.

Choose a mono font for your text if you want a mono font.
The meaning of preformatted is to keep your whitespaces in the output reports, whereas nomal notes that are not preformatted are cleaned making it nicer in reports. So actually it is not being preformatted that makes your note look different in the output :-)
The word wrap is now seen also in in preformatted notes, because we are obliged to word wrap in the reports anyway as users then complain we write the text off in the margin out of the paper sheet :-), so no word wrap it gives a wrong feeling as to what happens in the reports. The note editor remembers it size, so you can expand it horizontally as much as you want.
Preformatted is annoying from the point of view of html and latex and makes things harder to print corrrectly, so use it only for those things you really want it (table layout, verbatim copy of source)

In 2.2.x preformatted was shown with a mono font, but this was a visual clue that is actually not needed now that you can select the font yourself.
Note that only pdf and print and latex output now fully support markup in notes, the others will be added in point releases.

Re: [Gramps-devel] GRAMPS 3.1.0 (I am the director of a publishing company) released!

Jay Treacy
On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 02:51:21AM -0800, Stéphane Charette wrote:
> The GRAMPS Developers and community proudly presents:
>
> Version 3.1.0 of GRAMPS!  The "I am the director of a publishing
> company" release.

The debian package has just been uploaded and should be available at your
favorite mirror within a few hours.

For those running testing, it should install fine.

--
James Treacy

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

N James Bridge
On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 23:07 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2009/3/7 James Bridge <[hidden email]>
>
>         On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 21:12 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:
>         >
>         >
>         > 2009/3/7 Doug <[hidden email]>
>         >         Benny,
>         >         I've done as you said and all is well.
>         >
>         >         However the INSTALL file of the tarball really ought
>         to warn
>         >         about uninstalling any older version first.
>         >         With many other tarballs I've installed it's been
>         made clear
>         >         if that was necessary.
>         >
>         > I updated the INSTALL file to indicate the old version must
>         be
>         > removed. This will be present in 3.1.1
>         >
>

>         I installed 3.1.1 from the tarball, into Fedora 10. Gramps
>         3.0.4 had
>         been installed from a rpm so I just removed it first. But it
>         will not
>         be so easy next time: just what does one have to uninstall?
>
> If you do  a source install, you know where you installed. Just delete
> that directory..
>

>         Aside from this all is fine, except that in a note, clicking
>         on the box
>         for "pre-formatted" makes no difference now.
>
> Choose a mono font for your text if you want a mono font.
> The meaning of preformatted is to keep your whitespaces in the output
> reports, whereas nomal notes that are not preformatted are cleaned
> making it nicer in reports. So actually it is not being preformatted
> that makes your note look different in the output :-)
> The word wrap is now seen also in in preformatted notes, because we
> are obliged to word wrap in the reports anyway as users then complain
> we write the text off in the margin out of the paper sheet :-), so no
> word wrap it gives a wrong feeling as to what happens in the reports.
> The note editor remembers it size, so you can expand it horizontally
> as much as you want.
> Preformatted is annoying from the point of view of html and latex and
> makes things harder to print corrrectly, so use it only for those
> things you really want it (table layout, verbatim copy of source)
>

> In 2.2.x preformatted was shown with a mono font, but this was a
> visual clue that is actually not needed now that you can select the
> font yourself.
> Note that only pdf and print and latex output now fully support markup
> in notes, the others will be added in point releases.
>
> Benny

Thanks for this helpful explanation. I am still exploring many of the
features of gramps! One of the things I use notes for is to enter a
digest of census returns - I treat a census as a family event. So I do
want to make a table. However, I haven't found any way of controlling
the position of the tab stops, which used to be different for
preformatted text.

James

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

Doug-11
Being a rather cautious fellow, as a rule I'm a bit reluctant to leave
everything to an upgrade data procedure being successful.
(I'm talking in general, not about 3.0.4-1 to 3.1).
I like to save a copy of  ~/.gramps under another name; start clean; and
transfer stuff back to the new .gramps a bit at a time, checking at each
stage. Archives, filters and plugins have been good examples: archives
have been no problem after you explained the rev.gramps,v files to me,
the filters transferred to 3.1 OK, but nearly all the third-party
plugins I used in 3.0.4 no longer work.(I'm anxiously waiting for new
versions!)

Doug

Benny Malengier wrote:

> Hmm,
>
> please, don't delete .gramps folder, it contains your filters and
> databases. GRAMPS will ask to upgrade your data on selection.
> The plugins you have downloaded might stop working, so go over your
> .gramps/plugins folder and try to obtain new versions.
> PlaceCompletion will be available soon normally.
>
> Benny

<snip>

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

DS Blank
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
Being a rather cautious fellow, as a rule I'm a bit reluctant to leave
everything to an upgrade data procedure being successful.
(I'm talking in general, not about 3.0.4-1 to 3.1).
I like to save a copy of  ~/.gramps under another name; start clean; and
transfer stuff back to the new .gramps a bit at a time, checking at each
stage. Archives, filters and plugins have been good examples: archives
have been no problem after you explained the rev.gramps,v files to me,
the filters transferred to 3.1 OK, but nearly all the third-party
plugins I used in 3.0.4 no longer work.(I'm anxiously waiting for new
versions!)

Doug,

What third-party plugins are you waiting for? Have you contacted the authors? If they are around, they are encouraged to add their wares to:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Plugins

which will appear on the page:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Third-party_Plugins

However, anyone who wants to bring those up to date and list them there is encouraged to do so.

Thanks!

-Doug

Doug

Benny Malengier wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> please, don't delete .gramps folder, it contains your filters and
> databases. GRAMPS will ask to upgrade your data on selection.
> The plugins you have downloaded might stop working, so go over your
> .gramps/plugins folder and try to obtain new versions.
> PlaceCompletion will be available soon normally.
>
> Benny

<snip>

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

Johan Vromans
James Bridge <[hidden email]> writes:

> I installed 3.1.1 from the tarball, into Fedora 10. Gramps 3.0.4 had
> been installed from a rpm so I just removed it first. But it will not
> be so easy next time: just what does one have to uninstall?

I've uploaded a Fedora 10 rpm to
http://www.squirrel.nl/pub/xfer/gramps-3.1.0-1jv.fc10.noarch.rpm

-- Johan

Re: GRAMPS 3.1.0 - BEWARE

Stéphane Charette-2
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 14:58, Johan Vromans <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
> I've uploaded a Fedora 10 rpm to [...]

Thanks again, Johan.  I've uploaded your FC10 package to SourceForge.

For those of you who have not yet downloaded it, GRAMPS 3.1.0 packages
for Ubuntu 8.04/8.10 and Fedora Core 10 are now available from the
GRAMPS download page: