GRAMPS and PhpGedView

Gary Walsh-2
I have been trying out PhpGedView this week and have come across a
problem with GEDCOM files exported from GRAMPS.  Some of the person ID's
in my GRAMPS database have underscores in them.  This seems to cause
problems in PhpGedView.  In the person view in that program the
underscores seem to get stripped, giving a wrong id and so no data
displays for that person.

The developer that I am communicating with is wondering why GRAMPS uses
underscores, though he says that the GEDCOM 5.5 standard permits them.
Apparently, they are causing a lot of trouble in PhpGedView 4.0 beta 4.
(I am using stable version 3.3.8).

Are any other GRAMPS users on this list also using PhpGedView?  Has
anyone else come across this problem?

--
Gary Walsh      Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
[hidden email]  http://gwalsh.notw.ca

Re: GRAMPS and PhpGedView

Alex Roitman
Gary,

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 18:15 -0500, Gary Walsh wrote:
> I have been trying out PhpGedView this week and have come across a
> problem with GEDCOM files exported from GRAMPS.  Some of the person ID's
> in my GRAMPS database have underscores in them.  This seems to cause
> problems in PhpGedView.  In the person view in that program the
> underscores seem to get stripped, giving a wrong id and so no data
> displays for that person.
>
> The developer that I am communicating with is wondering why GRAMPS uses
> underscores,

GRAMPS does not create new IDs using underscores, unless you ask it to.
That said, gramps is trying to preserve existing IDs when importing
data from XML or GEDCOM. So if you have imported data with underscored
IDs into gramps then chances are we preserved them.

> Are any other GRAMPS users on this list also using PhpGedView?  Has
> anyone else come across this problem?

I am not sure what exactly the problem is. In any case, if you don't
care much about preserving IDs, you can use the "reorder IDs" tool
in gramps. It will go through all database records and assign new IDs
according to the format set in the Preferences. Beware: this will take
long time and will modify every record in the gramps database.
So a good idea would be to back up your data before that, just in case.

Alex

Re: GRAMPS and PhpGedView

sakuno
Gary,

As you state yourself, they are allowed in Gedcom.  So the question has to be
asked as to why the developer of PhpGedView is stripping an allowed
character, the absence of which is now going to cause you and other users a
problem?

This is not a problem with Gramps.

> I have been trying out PhpGedView this week and have come across a
> problem with GEDCOM files exported from GRAMPS.  Some of the person ID's
> in my GRAMPS database have underscores in them.  This seems to cause
> problems in PhpGedView.  In the person view in that program the
> underscores seem to get stripped, giving a wrong id and so no data
> displays for that person.
>
> The developer that I am communicating with is wondering why GRAMPS uses
> underscores, though he says that the GEDCOM 5.5 standard permits them.
> Apparently, they are causing a lot of trouble in PhpGedView 4.0 beta 4.
> (I am using stable version 3.3.8).
>
> Are any other GRAMPS users on this list also using PhpGedView?  Has
> anyone else come across this problem?

--
 Regards
      Trevor Rhodes

Never mud wrestle with a pig.. you get dirty and the pig enjoys it!
Never try to teach a pig to dance. You waste your time and annoy the pig.
Theoretically pigs can fly if propelled with enough force.

Re: GRAMPS and PhpGedView

Don Allingham
On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 18:15 -0500, Gary Walsh wrote:

> I have been trying out PhpGedView this week and have come across a
> problem with GEDCOM files exported from GRAMPS.  Some of the person ID's
> in my GRAMPS database have underscores in them.  This seems to cause
> problems in PhpGedView.  In the person view in that program the
> underscores seem to get stripped, giving a wrong id and so no data
> displays for that person.
>
> The developer that I am communicating with is wondering why GRAMPS uses
> underscores, though he says that the GEDCOM 5.5 standard permits them.
> Apparently, they are causing a lot of trouble in PhpGedView 4.0 beta 4.
> (I am using stable version 3.3.8).
>
> Are any other GRAMPS users on this list also using PhpGedView?  Has
> anyone else come across this problem?
GRAMPS does not normally generate underscores in its IDs that it
generates. The user can define the naming scheme we use, and the default
is Ixxxx for people (where xxxx is a number). In the settings, you will
see that our template is "I%04d", indicating an I followed by a 4 digit
number. For us to generate underscores, the user will have to change
this template to include undercores.

That being said, GRAMPS will preserve any IDs it sees on import. So, if
you import into GRAMPS from a GEDCOM that uses underscores, we will keep
them.

But, what it really boils down to is that PhpGedView needs to make sure
that it accepts any valid ID value. Otherwise, they are not GEDCOM
compliant.

Don

--
Don Allingham
http://don.allingham.org

Re: GRAMPS and PhpGedView

Gary Walsh-2
On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 15:29 -0800, Alex Roitman wrote:

> I am not sure what exactly the problem is. In any case, if you don't
> care much about preserving IDs, you can use the "reorder IDs" tool
> in gramps. It will go through all database records and assign new IDs
> according to the format set in the Preferences. Beware: this will take
> long time and will modify every record in the gramps database.
> So a good idea would be to back up your data before that, just in case.

I figured that out myself and did it.  That and a reinstall of
PhpGedView solved the problem.

I don't know where those underscores came from, since GRAMPS was the
only program that I have used and most of my data was typed in from
printouts sent by a cousin.