GRAMPS crash with latest spell check

Benny Malengier
So GRAMPS fails in upcoming Ubuntu 8.10 and in Debian sid.

Again the problem is the spell checker.
Removing python-gnome2-extras removes the spell check and solves the issue, but means you no longer have spell checking....

I don't run such up to date system. Is there somebody else that can investigate this further? It would come down to adding prints to Spell.py to see what statement is main culprit, and then try to reproduce it in a python session.

It would be important to identify the problem with us or upstream, so that upstream can do a change, or GRAMPS can code a change, before the packages go into Debian testing or upcoming 8.10

Benny

2008/8/24 Jérôme <[hidden email]>
> I still get a warning Spell.py line 58 : no spell chekcker
> installed. I do not know which package I must install here. Btw this was
> the original reason why I installed some add. spell checkers and ran
> into the above mentioned problem.

Looking at src/Spell.py, maybe using aspell dictionaries :

# All official dictionaries available for GNU Aspell.
# ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/0index.html

Frederik De Richter a écrit :
> Devs,
>
> I mentioned a problem a couple of days ago that I could not start gramps
> (trunk) via the command line. I forgot to mention that my experimental
> version runs in Intrpid Ubuntu.
>
> The problem was that Gramps did not start at all after installing some
> spell checker programs.
>
> Thanks to Benny I got hints to find out what the real problem was.
>
> The bug was mentioned on a Debian site:
>
> I am not able to start gramps, and I have no idea why. It
> seems to read its spell checking information, but then just sits there.
>

> Uninstallment got me to this error:
> erik@laptop:~$ gramps
> Hspell: can't open /usr/share/hspell/hebrew.wgz.sizes.
> Hspell: can't open /usr/share/hspell/hebrew.wgz.sizes.
>
> The cure was removal of python-gnome2-extras (version 2.19.1-0ubuntu8)
> via Synaptic.
>
> ps: I still get a warning Spell.py line 58 : no spell chekcker
> installed. I do not know which package I must install here. Btw this was
> the original reason why I installed some add. spell checkers and ran
> into the above mentioned problem.
>
> erik

Re: GRAMPS crash with latest spell check

Benny Malengier
From the reply of Frederik, it would appear work is under way to move to hunspell or enchant (I see enchant loaded in the bugtrace http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=492212 ) so Debian uses that.
So perhaps they move to enchant, but the gtkspell bindings must still be ironed out (eg patch on http://www.abisource.com/projects/enchant/ )

Somebody who runs intrepid should start a bug on launchpad, Gramps can be used as test case if pygtkspell is up and running again.

Benny

2008/8/25 Frederik De Richter <[hidden email]>
Also check this link : spell checking in intrepid

Frederik De Richter a écrit :
> Devs,
>
> I mentioned a problem a couple of days ago that I could not start gramps
> (trunk) via the command line. I forgot to mention that my experimental
> version runs in Intrpid Ubuntu.
>
> The problem was that Gramps did not start at all after installing some
> spell checker programs.
>
> Thanks to Benny I got hints to find out what the real problem was.
>
> The bug was mentioned on a Debian site:
>
> I am not able to start gramps, and I have no idea why. It
> seems to read its spell checking information, but then just sits there.
>

> Uninstallment got me to this error:
> erik@laptop:~$ gramps
> Hspell: can't open /usr/share/hspell/hebrew.wgz.sizes.
> Hspell: can't open /usr/share/hspell/hebrew.wgz.sizes.
>
> The cure was removal of python-gnome2-extras (version 2.19.1-0ubuntu8)
> via Synaptic.
>
> ps: I still get a warning Spell.py line 58 : no spell chekcker
> installed. I do not know which package I must install here. Btw this was
> the original reason why I installed some add. spell checkers and ran
> into the above mentioned problem.
>
> erik

Re: GRAMPS crash with latest spell check

On Gramps 3.0.2-SVN, whatever spell checking user preference
(enable/disable)
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Preferences
, I am able to check spelling on Note editor !!!
Is this key still active ?

2008/8/26 Jérôme <[hidden email]>
On Gramps 3.0.2-SVN, whatever spell checking user preference (enable/disable) http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Preferences
, I am able to check spelling on Note editor !!!
Is this key still active ?

No idea, should be investigated.
Don't you think we can just delete that preference?

Benny

   Frederik De Richter a écrit :
    > Devs,
    >
    > I mentioned a problem a couple of days ago that I could not start
   gramps
    > (trunk) via the command line. I forgot to mention that my
   experimental
    > version runs in Intrpid Ubuntu.
    >
    > The problem was that Gramps did not start at all after installing
   some
    > spell checker programs.
    >
    > Thanks to Benny I got hints to find out what the real problem was.
    >
    > The bug was mentioned on a Debian site:
    >
    > I am not able to start gramps, and I have no idea why. It
    > seems to read its spell checking information, but then just sits
   there.

    > Uninstallment got me to this error:
    > erik@laptop:~$ gramps
    > Hspell: can't open /usr/share/hspell/hebrew.wgz.sizes.
    > Hspell: can't open /usr/share/hspell/hebrew.wgz.sizes.
    >
    > The cure was removal of python-gnome2-extras (version
   2.19.1-0ubuntu8)
    > via Synaptic.
    >
    > ps: I still get a warning Spell.py line 58 : no spell chekcker
    > installed. I do not know which package I must install here. Btw
   this was
    > the original reason why I installed some add. spell checkers and ran
    > into the above mentioned problem.
    >
    > erik

   Developer's challenge
   great prizes
   the world
   <http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/>

   challenge
   Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
   great prizes
   Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
   the world
   <http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/>

Re: GRAMPS crash with latest spell check

zsolt foldvari-2
On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Benny Malengier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2008/8/26 Jérôme <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On Gramps 3.0.2-SVN, whatever spell checking user preference
>> (enable/disable)
>> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Preferences
>> , I am able to check spelling on Note editor !!!
>> Is this key still active ?
>
> No idea, should be investigated.
> Don't you think we can just delete that preference?

Preferences setting is the default for having the spell cheker
activated in the note editor or not.

Let's say one doesn't want to see the spelling errors all the time in
the editor, but wants to spell check a specific note once in a
while...

Cheers,
Zsolt

Re: GRAMPS crash with latest spell check

jerome
OK, key is still active.

*Enable* will use the localized spell checker.
*Disable* will not use our dictionary but user is still able to use
installed dictionaries by using choice list on right head corner.

Thanks,
Jérôme

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK, key is still active.
>
> *Enable* will use the localized spell checker.

If dictionary is not found for your locale spell cheking will be off.
You're able to change dictionary for a note any case.

> *Disable* will not use our dictionary but user is still able to use
> installed dictionaries by using choice list on right head corner.

Correct. List moved into popup menu recently.

Cheers,
Zsolt