GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I'm sticking to long term versions of Ubuntu, so I'm still on 16.04, my
GRAMPS is 4.2.2

Should I be upgrading? Is it possible to upgrade? My GRAMPS does
everything I need at the moment, but I'm aware that there may be bug
fixes as well as new or updated features in a new release.

Thanks,

Dianne

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Ron Johnson
On 02/20/2018 03:13 AM, Dianne Reuby via Gramps-users wrote:
I'm sticking to long term versions of Ubuntu, so I'm still on 16.04, my GRAMPS is 4.2.2

Should I be upgrading? Is it possible to upgrade? My GRAMPS does everything I need at the moment,

Should is a strong word if It Works For You.

but I'm aware that there may be bug fixes as well as new or updated features in a new release.

I'm also on 16.04, but keep relatively current using debs from the Gramps site.  For example, I've currently installed 4.2.6 and will "soon" install 4.2.8 (noting that 4.2.7 lasted all of one day).  v4.2.4 added some important GEDCOM import support, for example.

https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/v4.2.8

--
Money Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Colin Spiller
I'm also on Ubuntu 16.04, but my Gramps has auto-updated to version
4.2.5. All I've done is to say "yes OK" when asked about updating. No
problems so far.

Colin

On 20/02/18 09:13, Dianne Reuby via Gramps-users wrote:

> I'm sticking to long term versions of Ubuntu, so I'm still on 16.04,
> my GRAMPS is 4.2.2
>
> Should I be upgrading? Is it possible to upgrade? My GRAMPS does
> everything I need at the moment, but I'm aware that there may be bug
> fixes as well as new or updated features in a new release.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dianne

Colin Spiller

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

On 20/02/18 09:13, Dianne Reuby via Gramps-users wrote:
> Should I be upgrading? Is it possible to upgrade? My GRAMPS does
> everything I need at the moment, but I'm aware that there may be bug
> fixes as well as new or updated features in a new release.

Upgrading is easy, but not really necessary.

The minor releases only contain bug fixes.  They don't contain new
features and don't make any changes to the database schema. It is still
good practice to make a backup before upgrading though.

Having said that, there is some new hidden functionality in v4.2.8.  A
new report category has been added that enables third-party genealogy
tree reports to be written.

See:

10223: LaTeX genealogytree reports

zed

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

zed
Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/02/18 09:13, Dianne Reuby via Gramps-users wrote:
> > Should I be upgrading? Is it possible to upgrade? My GRAMPS does
> > everything I need at the moment, but I'm aware that there may be bug
> > fixes as well as new or updated features in a new release.
>
> Upgrading is easy, but not really necessary.
>
> The minor releases only contain bug fixes.  They don't contain new
> features and don't make any changes to the database schema. It is still
> good practice to make a backup before upgrading though.
>
> Having said that, there is some new hidden functionality in v4.2.8.  A
> new report category has been added that enables third-party genealogy
> tree reports to be written.
>
> See:
>
> 10223: LaTeX genealogytree reports
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=10223

Visited to that site and downloaded and installed the necessary texlive
files but am lost from there, because I have no idea where what to do to
download your plug in. Be delighted to receive further instructions,
please.

Zed
--
zed
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Nick Hall
On 22/02/18 04:33, zed wrote:
10223: LaTeX genealogytree reports
Visited to that site and downloaded and installed the necessary texlive
files but am lost from there, because I have no idea where what to do to
download your plug in. Be delighted to receive further instructions,
please.

I have uploaded the latest files to the feature request, and added some instructions.

Basically you just need to copy the files into your plugins directory (~/.gramps/gramps42/plugins).

There is also a patch for Windows users to update the gramps/gen/plug/docgen.treedoc.py file.

Let us know if you have any problems.

zed

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

zed
Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22/02/18 04:33, zed wrote:
> > > 10223: LaTeX genealogytree reports
> > > https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=10223
> > Visited to that site and downloaded and installed the necessary
> > texlive files but am lost from there, because I have no idea where
> > what to do to download your plug in. Be delighted to receive further
> > instructions, please.
> >
> I have uploaded the latest files to the feature request, and added some
> instructions.
>
> Basically you just need to copy the files into your plugins directory
> (~/.gramps/gramps42/plugins).
>
> There is also a patch for Windows users to update the
> gramps/gen/plug/docgen.treedoc.py file.
>
> Let us know if you have any problems.

The only problem I have is that I cannot find the file on the site.  I
thought there would be a clickable link on the line "You can find some
screenshots and a patch here" , in that if I clicked on the word "here" it
would send me to the location of the file  but nothing happens.

The other sites refer to the texlive report files.

Zed

--
zed
Dogs must think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Rich Lakey
I can't find the files either
Rich

On 22/02/18 04:33, zed wrote:
[...]

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Dave Scheipers
Nick added the new note to the bug/feature request

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=10223#c53948

On 22/02/18 23:18, Rich wrote:
> I can't find the files either

They are attached to my last post:

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=10223#c53948

I have removed some older files to avoid confusion.

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Rich Lakey
Here is what I see for your post on February 22. I see the names of 5 files of which I need 4 for Linux. Then below that are 7 files listed with there sizes. I cannot select anything. Nothing to download. I have tried Firefox and Chromium.  Neither allow me to select anything to download.
Rich

Nick_H

22-Feb-2018 19:54

administrator   ~0053948

Last edited: 22-Feb-2018 20:29

View 4 revisions

To install these reports on 5.0.0-beta1, please download them from the third-party addons repository.

To install these reports on v4.2.8, copy the following files into your plugins directory. This is ~/.gramps/gramps50/plugins on linux.

ancestor,py
descendant.py
grandparent.py
sandclock.py
treeplugins.gpr.py

The file gramps/gen/plug/docgen/treedoc.py will also need to be updated if you are using Windows. Please replace it with either treedoc-42.py or treedoc-50.py depending on your version. If you are using a previously patched version of v4.2.x, you will also need an updated version of this file.

descendant.py (6,670 bytes)
sandclock.py (8,210 bytes)
treedoc-50.py (24,412 bytes)
treeplugins.gpr.py (3,762 bytes)
treedoc-42.py (24,413 bytes)
grandparent.py (8,759 bytes)
ancestor.py (6,219 bytes)

Rich

On 23/02/18 00:04, Rich wrote:
> Here is what I see for your post on February 22. I see the names of 5
> files of which I need 4 for Linux. Then below that are 7 files listed
> with there sizes. I cannot select anything. Nothing to download. I
> have tried Firefox and Chromium.  Neither allow me to select anything
> to download.

You need the 5 files listed.  Are you logged in?

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Rich Lakey
As usual you have the answer.  I just clicked on the link in your post and it logged me in as anonymous. Logging in correctly I can download the 5 files.
Thanks,
Rich

On 02/22/2018 06:18 PM, Nick Hall wrote:
On 23/02/18 00:04, Rich wrote:
Here is what I see for your post on February 22. I see the names of 5 files of which I need 4 for Linux. Then below that are 7 files listed with there sizes. I cannot select anything. Nothing to download. I have tried Firefox and Chromium.  Neither allow me to select anything to download.

You need the 5 files listed.  Are you logged in?

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Rich Lakey
My post from 2 hours ago has not arrived. But in it I said I was not logged in.  Also I had played with LaTeX back in November. So I had all that software installed. I have ran the ancestor report with some success. I have attached it but not sure if it will post. The PDF file displays pretty good. Seems like there must be a preferences file somewhere to change the colors in th printout.  I do not get the pink and blue squares but get the squares outlined in pink and blue.  The Note is on the first page and the chart on the second.
The big problem is the dates. Day and year are ok but the month is roman numeral. Looks kind of weird.  I will look for some documentation tomorrow.  If I create my output in LaTeX instead of PDF and look at the file, the month is numeric just like the day and year.

On 23/02/18 00:04, Rich wrote:
Here is what I see for your post on February 22. I see the names of 5 files of which I need 4 for Linux. Then below that are 7 files listed with there sizes. I cannot select anything. Nothing to download. I have tried Firefox and Chromium.  Neither allow me to select anything to download.

You need the 5 files listed.  Are you logged in?

Have you backed up your files today?

ancestor_tree_4.pdf (30K) Download Attachment

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Nick Hall
On 23/02/18 04:10, Rich wrote:

> My post from 2 hours ago has not arrived. But in it I said I was not
> logged in.  Also I had played with LaTeX back in November. So I had
> all that software installed. I have ran the ancestor report with some
> success. I have attached it but not sure if it will post. The PDF file
> displays pretty good. Seems like there must be a preferences file
> somewhere to change the colors in th printout. I do not get the pink
> and blue squares but get the squares outlined in pink and blue.  The
> Note is on the first page and the chart on the second.
> The big problem is the dates. Day and year are ok but the month is
> roman numeral. Looks kind of weird.  I will look for some
> documentation tomorrow.  If I create my output in LaTeX instead of PDF
> and look at the file, the month is numeric just like the day and year.

You can change the node colour setting  to "Preferences" in the "Node
Options".  This will take the colours from the Gramps preferences.

Documentation for the genealogytree package can be found here:

https://ctan.org/pkg/genealogytree

The date formatting is described on page 174.

No format is specified at the moment so I assume it will use "typical",
which is a typical date format for the language.  What is your language
setting?

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Rich Lakey
With output going to .pdf, If I use Node Options / Preferences I get the following error:
Report could not be created
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/tmp812xu7sa/temp.pdf'
I also get the same error if I check include images. If there are not images it works ok with the include images checked.
If I create the .tex file and then try to create the .pdf form it I get a log file that I do not understand. I am attaching the .tex and .log files if someone wants to look at them.

As far as the roman numeral for the month, I looked at the .tex files and they are correct. But either going directly to a PDF file or creating one from the .tex file the roman numeral shows up for the month.
Looking at the documentation I was having trouble seeing where exactly the month format should be placed. Should be /gtr/date format={d m yyyy}.  Then I looked at a .tex file I had from when I tried to get this to work last November and saw
list separators hang,
date format=d mon yyyy,
place text={\newline}{},

The date format=d mon yyy, is not in the .tex file created with the new code.  So I added it and the .pdf was created with the correct 3 char for month instead of the roman numeral.  So I am overriding the default.  But where is the default set? I've been through a bunch of code with no luck.  I should not manually have to set the date in the .tex file.  No way should the roman numeral be the default for US English.
And to get the .tex file to create a pdf file, the .tex file has to be in my home directory, not in a sub directory.
Rich

On 02/23/2018 09:21 AM, Nick Hall wrote:
On 23/02/18 04:10, Rich wrote:
[...]

ancestor_tree_33.tex (6K) Download Attachment
ancestor_tree_33 trimmed.log (1K) Download Attachment

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Rich Lakey
I am wondering if I should create bugs for Node / Options Preferences and checking the image box?  Are they separate bugs or different flavors of the same bug.
And the Roman Numeral for Month problem.   Or maybe I just don't know what I am doing yet?
Rich

On 23/02/18 22:22, Rich wrote:

> With output going to .pdf, If I use Node Options / Preferences I get
> the following error:
> Report could not be created
> [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/tmp812xu7sa/temp.pdf'
> I also get the same error if I check include images. If there are not
> images it works ok with the include images checked.
> If I create the .tex file and then try to create the .pdf form it I
> get a log file that I do not understand. I am attaching the .tex and
> .log files if someone wants to look at them.

I don't get an error.  I can generate a pdf from your tex file.

> As far as the roman numeral for the month, I looked at the .tex files
> and they are correct. But either going directly to a PDF file or
> creating one from the .tex file the roman numeral shows up for the month.
> Looking at the documentation I was having trouble seeing where exactly
> the month format should be placed. Should be /gtr/date format={d m
> yyyy}.  Then I looked at a .tex file I had from when I tried to get
> this to work last November and saw
> list separators hang,
> date format=d mon yyyy,
> place text={\newline}{},
>
> The date format=d mon yyy, is not in the .tex file created with the
> new code.  So I added it and the .pdf was created with the correct 3
> char for month instead of the roman numeral.  So I am overriding the
> default.  But where is the default set? I've been through a bunch of
> code with no luck.  I should not manually have to set the date in the
> .tex file.  No way should the roman numeral be the default for US English.
> And to get the .tex file to create a pdf file, the .tex file has to be
> in my home directory, not in a sub directory.

The genealogytree documentation doesn't describe what to expect for the
"typical" format.  Specifying an explicit format would be an alternative.

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

On 23/02/18 22:35, Rich wrote:
> I am wondering if I should create bugs for Node / Options Preferences
> and checking the image box?  Are they separate bugs or different
> flavors of the same bug.
> And the Roman Numeral for Month problem.   Or maybe I just don't know
> what I am doing yet?

Yes.  They are three separate bugs.

Re: GRAMPS on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Josip
23.2.2018. u 23:22, Rich je napisao/la:
> If I create the .tex file and then try to create the .pdf form it I get
> a log file that I do not understand. I am attaching the .tex and .log
> files if someone wants to look at them.

Yours tex file produce correct pdf for me (if i remove yours comments)
You should attach hole log file not just partial one.
For example my log file shows that package xcolor is loaded and mangled
color one.