Quantcast

Gear for release: clean up roadmap

I tried to fix 2 things of the roadmap per day so we can go for the 3.3.0 release. Soon I have a holiday however. The people who have things assigned to them, can you or finish them, or move to 3.3.1?

People adding bugs: please assign them to 3.3.1 if not show-stoppers

Then end of next week the roadmap should be clear. Should we do a release candidate first? The beta did not give a lot of feedback. Perhaps things 'Just Work' ?

Greetings,

Re: Gear for release: clean up roadmap

jerome
> Then end of next week the roadmap should be clear. Should we do a
> release candidate first? The beta did not give a lot of feedback.
> Perhaps things 'Just Work' ?

There is a new one about name format and children gramplet:
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=4954

Benny Malengier a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I tried to fix 2 things of the roadmap per day so we can go for the
> 3.3.0 release. Soon I have a holiday however. The people who have things
> assigned to them, can you or finish them, or move to 3.3.1?
>
> People adding bugs: please assign them to 3.3.1 if not show-stoppers
>
> Then end of next week the roadmap should be clear. Should we do a
> release candidate first? The beta did not give a lot of feedback.
> Perhaps things 'Just Work' ?
>
> Greetings,
> Benny

Re: Gear for release: clean up roadmap

Paul Franklin-5
On 5/31/11, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Perhaps things 'Just Work' ?

I've never understood how or why some bugs get put
on the "roadmap" and others don't, but I observe that
if the bug tracker's "view issues" page is put on the
"Gramps 3.3.x" "project" with "hide status" set to
"resolved (and above)" that there are currently 30-some
bugs listed (although some are "3.3.1") -- so I could
imagine some people (the bug reporters at least)
saying that things aren't "just working".

Perhaps some knowledgeable developer could look at
the 30-some and triage the list, move some to "trunk"
or whatever?  Just a thought.  I don't mean to interfere.

Re: Gear for release: clean up roadmap

jerome
>  I've never understood how or why some bugs get put
> on the "roadmap" and others don't

With a traceback, there is an unwanted error on code (syntax, coding
error, etc ...) and it crashes for most users. So, I try to put it on
roadmap for the next release.

If, a feature/option does not work or a display issue without crash or
DB issue, the priority could be less important. So, if a working patch
exists, then this could be also marked on roadmap for next release, else
need to be added on roadmap, but maybe should not block the next release
and could be added later (release +1 or next major release)!

2011/6/1 Paul Franklin <[hidden email]>
On 5/31/11, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Perhaps things 'Just Work' ?

I've never understood how or why some bugs get put
on the "roadmap" and others don't, but I observe that
if the bug tracker's "view issues" page is put on the
"Gramps 3.3.x" "project" with "hide status" set to
"resolved (and above)" that there are currently 30-some
bugs listed (although some are "3.3.1") -- so I could
imagine some people (the bug reporters at least)
saying that things aren't "just working".

Perhaps some knowledgeable developer could look at
the 30-some and triage the list, move some to "trunk"
or whatever?  Just a thought.  I don't mean to interfere.

You do good. I think some people add stuff mainly to the roadmap because that is a way to get attention of some of the core developers.
I'm ok with that as long as duplicates and such don't make it on the roadmap, as I find it much easier to clean up a roadmap than to search in a bug list via View issues.
It's hard to find a good workflow on fixing bugs if the people doing bug fixing do it on a very on/off schedule (with off often being several months).

Re: Gear for release: clean up roadmap

Nick Hall-6
I just had a look for bugs without a target version, hiding those that are assigned, resolved or closed.  I got the following results:

3.0    187
3.1    81
3.2    230
3.3    21

Do bugs that are not on a roadmap get forgotten or am I missing something?  Are the bugs in the older versions of Gramps still relevant?

What happened to the volunteer who was going to look at the bug triage process?  Did he get anywhere?

Nick.

On 02/06/11 08:20, Benny Malengier wrote:

2011/6/1 Paul Franklin <[hidden email]>
On 5/31/11, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Perhaps things 'Just Work' ?

I've never understood how or why some bugs get put
on the "roadmap" and others don't, but I observe that
if the bug tracker's "view issues" page is put on the
"Gramps 3.3.x" "project" with "hide status" set to
"resolved (and above)" that there are currently 30-some
bugs listed (although some are "3.3.1") -- so I could
imagine some people (the bug reporters at least)
saying that things aren't "just working".

Perhaps some knowledgeable developer could look at
the 30-some and triage the list, move some to "trunk"
or whatever?  Just a thought.  I don't mean to interfere.

You do good. I think some people add stuff mainly to the roadmap because that is a way to get attention of some of the core developers.
I'm ok with that as long as duplicates and such don't make it on the roadmap, as I find it much easier to clean up a roadmap than to search in a bug list via View issues.
It's hard to find a good workflow on fixing bugs if the people doing bug fixing do it on a very on/off schedule (with off often being several months).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Simplify data backup and recovery for your virtual environment with vRanger. Installation's a snap, and flexible recovery options mean your data is safe, secure and there when you need it. Data protection magic? Nope - It's vRanger. Get your free trial download today. http://p.sf.net/sfu/quest-sfdev2dev

Re: Gear for release: clean up roadmap

Benny Malengier

2011/6/4 Nick Hall <[hidden email]>
I just had a look for bugs without a target version, hiding those that are assigned, resolved or closed.  I got the following results:

3.0    187
3.1    81
3.2    230
3.3    21

Do bugs that are not on a roadmap get forgotten or am I missing something?  Are the bugs in the older versions of Gramps still relevant?

What happened to the volunteer who was going to look at the bug triage process?  Did he get anywhere?

He looked at some, mostly pushed it in the direction of developers.
Many bugs are feature requests while many other are difficult to reproduce. Bugs need some push to get into the attention of the developers. If you look at those 21 and think some should really be on a roadmap, then do so. Some however will have been removed from a roadmap by me.

On 05/06/11 09:47, Benny Malengier wrote:

[...]

It is more the bugs in the older versions that I was concerned about, not the 21 in version 3.3.

Some of the 230 bugs in 3.2 may well also be a problem in 3.3.  What stops these being forgotten about?  Should we move them into 3.3?  Do we need to attempt to reproduce them in 3.3 first?

After 3.3 is released do we still fix bugs in 3.2?

Should we move bugs that are actually feature requests into the feature requests project?

2011/6/5 Nick Hall <[hidden email]>

[...]

I would not worry too much. Yes, some bugs will be present in all of them, but normally it will not be major bugs, or there would be duplicates and they would come on a roadmap.

After 3.3 is released do we still fix bugs in 3.2?

I normally keep fixing things in 3.2 if present there and the bug fix is minor (low risk of introducing new bugs) for half a year or so, so until 3.3 is really in all mainstream distro's. We also fix bugs that come forward because of library changes, so as to make sure older versions can still run on newer distro's.

Should we move bugs that are actually feature requests into the feature requests project?

Yes, if you spot them, then the idea is to have the description, project, and importance of a bug correct. Bugs with no activity for a month and assigned to no-one will normally be forgotten if not somebody keeps bugging people about them. Just assigning bugs to people is no solution however, as the people who have time to fix bugs already do what is possible.

On 02/06/11 08:20, Benny Malengier wrote:

2011/6/1 Paul Franklin <[hidden email]>
On 5/31/11, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Perhaps things 'Just Work' ?

I've never understood how or why some bugs get put
on the "roadmap" and others don't, but I observe that
if the bug tracker's "view issues" page is put on the
"Gramps 3.3.x" "project" with "hide status" set to
"resolved (and above)" that there are currently 30-some
bugs listed (although some are "3.3.1") -- so I could
imagine some people (the bug reporters at least)
saying that things aren't "just working".

Perhaps some knowledgeable developer could look at
the 30-some and triage the list, move some to "trunk"
or whatever?  Just a thought.  I don't mean to interfere.

You do good. I think some people add stuff mainly to the roadmap because that is a way to get attention of some of the core developers.
I'm ok with that as long as duplicates and such don't make it on the roadmap, as I find it much easier to clean up a roadmap than to search in a bug list via View issues.
It's hard to find a good workflow on fixing bugs if the people doing bug fixing do it on a very on/off schedule (with off often being several months).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Simplify data backup and recovery for your virtual environment with vRanger. Installation's a snap, and flexible recovery options mean your data is safe, secure and there when you need it. Data protection magic? Nope - It's vRanger. Get your free trial download today. http://p.sf.net/sfu/quest-sfdev2dev

Re: Gear for release: clean up roadmap

Stéphane Charette-2
I've been thinking it might be time to have another beta, but reading this thread maybe I should wait?

Stéphane