Ged import from MyHeritage Family Tree Builder

Ged import from MyHeritage Family Tree Builder

Connie
I tried MyHeritage software and don't like some things about it so found Gramps and added a few records, tested the report and book feature and liked what I saw. I imported a gedcom created in that software and it is a mess. I will have to redo most of the notes because I'd created them in open office, using a different font for ancient quoted material, such as wills. It came through like an html source. But, what I really need help with is the format for names. I set Gramps to Title Given SURNAME Suffix and it displayed in reports right before the gedcom import. Now it displays Surname, Given Suffix and that is just not acceptable to me. Is there a fix? I am using Widows 32bit Vista :( Thanks

Re: Ged import from MyHeritage Family Tree Builder

Dave Scheipers
Welcome Connie

To help us understand and ultimately help you solve your issue, can you tell us how the name is displayed in the various views as well as the reports.

There is the global setting for displaying names.

Edit --> Preferences --> Display tab

The dropdown list has preset options but you can modify the list if one of the options does not meet your needs. This sets how the name appears in the various views and lists as you navigate gramps and add, edit records etc.

In reports, the way names are displayed can be modified for that one report. Each report can be modified. The dropdown list is available to make the change.

If after you explore these options and the names display is not showing the way it should, verify that the components of a person's name are in the correct fields.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

Dave

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 8:35 AM, Connie <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried MyHeritage software and don't like some things about it so found
Gramps and added a few records, tested the report and book feature and liked
what I saw. I imported a gedcom created in that software and it is a mess. I
will have to redo most of the notes because I'd created them in open office,
using a different font for ancient quoted material, such as wills. It came
through like an html source. But, what I really need help with is the format
for names. I set Gramps to Title Given SURNAME Suffix and it displayed in
reports right before the gedcom import. Now it displays Surname, Given
Suffix and that is just not acceptable to me. Is there a fix? I am using
Widows 32bit Vista :( Thanks

Re: Ged import from MyHeritage Family Tree Builder

Connie
Dave Scheipers wrote
Welcome Connie

To help us understand and ultimately help you solve your issue, can you
tell us how the name is displayed in the various views as well as the
reports....If after you explore these options and the names display is not showing the
way it should, verify that the components of a person's name are in the
correct fields.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

Dave

Thank you Dave. Apparently, I needed to restart a couple of times. It was displaying correctly in the various views, just wrong in the reports. After one close and reopen it was still displaying reports wrong even though I'd set it to display Title, Given SURNAME Suffix. But today it is correct.

I assume I will have to redo all my comments to eliminate the coding but is there an easy way I could remove all the _UID numbers? I want to import another ged and will be a lot to do by hand. I exported as XML but it contains nothing but code. Thanks again.

Re: Ged import from MyHeritage Family Tree Builder

Connie
Correction, the Book option is still not correct, displaying Surname first. I see no options other than what to include when creating the book. I can do without reports but I really need the book option because that will put the notes where they belong. I also have an empty contents and index section. The heading is there but nothing else.

Re: Ged import from MyHeritage Family Tree Builder

Dave Scheipers
There is a Set Attribute tool

Tools --> Family Tree Processing --> Set Attribute

You put in _UID as Attribute, leave value blank and check the Remove block.
This will remove the attribute from the individual's record. Unfortunately, not from the family record. set Attribute only works on the person record. There is a fix request in to expand it's options but doesn't currently exist. I'm still removing _UID from families as I rework and verify all my data.

When you say the Book report, you are referring to Book which appears as the first, above the Graphs, Graphical, Text, Web. This option allows you to combine reports into a single output. Each individual report you select has the option to set how the names will display. You select the report and it gets added to the bottom window, You select that and set what you want included.

All of these reports can be accessed individually by selecting from the lower menu options.

Hope this helps, Dave

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Connie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Correction, the Book option is still not correct, displaying Surname first. I
see no options other than what to include when creating the book. I can do
without reports but I really need the book option because that will put the
notes where they belong. I also have an empty contents and index section.
The heading is there but nothing else.

Re: Ged import from MyHeritage Family Tree Builder

Connie
I find no 'Set Attribute' in the Family Tree Processing tool. The UID came in with the Gedcom. There is one for each individual in the personal events, which appears to be the time stamp of when I created the record in myHeritage. There is another, with a large number in the attributes. There is also one for each family, as you mentioned.

Thanks for bringing my attention to the icon for tools in the book creation. I didn't know what that icon meant. I tried it again using that tool and now it is displaying names correctly. But both my table of contents and index are still empty. It has the names all marked to be included (the little grey space to the left of the name) but it isn't generating the index, only the heading. Same for the Contents. I created a new style for them in case I needed to specify what was to be contained in them but there was nothing there besides formatting for font, etc.

Re: Ged import from MyHeritage Family Tree Builder

Dave Scheipers
Hi Connie,

You may not have installed all the addons -- gramplets -- when you first launched gramps. Go to Edit --> Preferences Set a time frame for Gramps to check for new/updated addons, and I set for it to check for new and updated addons. Then uncheck the 'Do not ask about previously notified addons'. Then the 'Check Now'. button. You should get a list of the available addons. I install all addons even if I don't anticipate using it. You'll need to restart for the addons to become usable. Hope the Set Attribute shows up.

As to the Book issues regarding the Table of Contents and index...Which reports and in which order did you select for your Book? maybe I can recreate your problem or at least see what the problem might be.

Dave

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Connie <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Wow! Now I just need something to remove an event and I could clean up the gedcom completely. I mispoke before. The event is _UPD, rather than _UID. Anyway, I installed all addons, except for 3 that returned errors :( . Set attribute showed up. Thanks. You're very helpful, Dave. Now for the book, as a simple example;

Title
Contents
Detailed Ancestral Report

The result is Title Pg, blank pg, Contents pg which is blank, report pages (looking good), blank page that has a place marker that reads 'Table of Contents: Alphabetical Index' when I hover over the first charactor space. I'm using open office, with nonprinting characters shown, so there is a paragraph marker at the top of that blank page with a greyed space, used to mark index entries and other such things. Finally, there is the index page, blank, other than the word Index at the top.

Re: Ged import from MyHeritage Family Tree Builder

Dave Scheipers
Hi Connie,

There's some type of bug and I just submitted a report

When I was trying it, my default printing option is to PDF and that works fine. When you said you saw the paragraph mark was an aha moment and with that knowledge it showed me what you were seeing. I even tried direct print to paper with blank pages resulting.

So for now, try the PDF option. You may or may not be able to open the PDF in your office programs to tweak which is what I assume you wanted to do with your choice of output.

----

What do you want to do with the event? If there's an event for an person or family, they can be easily deleted.  Doing a global delete is something else.

As an added unsolicited tip, don't forget to backup. I do a non-media backup after every session.

Dave

Connie
Thank you so much, Dave. I'll be patient for the fix. It will take me some time to finish my data anyway. I need the odt output because there is not a lot of flexibility with fonts. I don't like Ariel or Times New Roman. I also want to place images throughout. What would be ideal, for the table of contents, is if we could specify headers. That way section titles could be header 1, spouses header 2 and children header 3 under them. Then, from open office, we could export as pdf set to export bookmarks, which would turn all the headers into bookmarks that can be displayed on the pdf reader sidebar, intstant table of contents in link format. Perhaps I could put this in the suggestion box.

Re: Ged import from MyHeritage Family Tree Builder

Hi Connie,

Great news. Both Nick and Sam have responded to the bug and the print to document has a solution.

After creating the OpenDocument Text, on the pages that contain the Headers "Content" and 'Index', if you right-click and select 'Update Index/Table' the tables will generate.

Sam linked this bug to an earlier bug that shows that none of these reports have a page number. I didn't notice this.. You will be able to add page numbers in the document.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Great! I should have thought of that. Thanks so much. You're the best.