Gedcoms for 2.1/2.2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gedcoms for 2.1/2.2

sakuno
Hello All,

We are now underway with developing the 2.1/2.2 release and are in need of
your help.  To test the import routines properly and get the best speed
optimisation and portability we can for you, we will need gedcoms of all
varieties.  Small, large, some with only families that are all tied together,
some that are mainly individuals e.g. one name studies, etc, and gedcoms
exported from all other programs out there.  If you have something you think
might be useful for us, send it to me with the information as to what it is
and where it came from so we can keep a track of what we have.  The more we
have the more we can test.   All information contained in the gedcoms remains
confidential and will not be given out.  If you have any queries, ask me, I
don't bite.  Thanks everyone.

Oh, and if you don't know me, don't worry, I expect Don, Alex or one of the
other developers will vouch for me when they come on later in the day.

--
 Regards
      Trevor Rhodes
===========================================
Powered by Linux                -           Mandriva 2005LE
Registered Linux user # 290542 at http://counter.li.org
Registered Machine #'s 186951 = Mandriva Club Silver Member
Source :  my 100 % Microsoft-free personal computer.
===========================================
 17:47:28 up 2 days,  7:00,  1 user,  load average: 0.55, 0.89, 0.62

Never mud wrestle with a pig.. you get dirty and the pig enjoys it!
Never try to teach a pig to dance. You waste your time and annoy the pig.
Theoretically pigs can fly if propelled with enough force.


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gedcoms for 2.1/2.2

Don Allingham
On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 18:06 +1100, Trevor Rhodes wrote:
>
> Oh, and if you don't know me, don't worry, I expect Don, Alex or one of the
> other developers will vouch for me when they come on later in the day.
>

For those of you who do not know Trevor, he maintains our bug tracking
system, creates our Fedora Core and Mandriva RPM packages, and serves as
one of our front line testers.

If you can help us with GEDCOM files, please upload them using ftp to
our anonymous ftp site:

ftp.gramps-project.org

The username is "[hidden email]", and you can use anything for
the password. Please place the files in the /incoming directory. A
typical session to upload a file called "test.ged" would look something
like:

$ ftp ftp.gramps-project.org
Name (ftp.gramps-project.org:dona): [hidden email]
Password:
ftp> cd /incoming
ftp> put test.ged
ftp> quit


Again, we are looking for a wide variety of GEDCOMs created by a wide
variety of programs.

--
Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gedcoms for 2.1/2.2

Don Allingham
On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 05:55 -0700, Don Allingham wrote:

> If you can help us with GEDCOM files, please upload them using ftp to
> our anonymous ftp site:
>
> ftp.gramps-project.org
>
> The username is "[hidden email]", and you can use anything for
> the password. Please place the files in the /incoming directory. A
> typical session to upload a file called "test.ged" would look something
> like:
>
> $ ftp ftp.gramps-project.org
> Name (ftp.gramps-project.org:dona): [hidden email]
Sorry, that should be [hidden email]

--
Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gedcoms for 2.1/2.2

Steve Hall-4
In reply to this post by Don Allingham

Have we ever tested Gramps against the "Torture Test" GEDCOM files:

  http://www.geditcom.com/gedcom.html

?

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 05:55 -0700, Don Allingham wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 18:06 +1100, Trevor Rhodes wrote:
> >
> > Oh, and if you don't know me, don't worry, I expect Don, Alex or one of the
> > other developers will vouch for me when they come on later in the day.
> >
>
> For those of you who do not know Trevor, he maintains our bug tracking
> system, creates our Fedora Core and Mandriva RPM packages, and serves as
> one of our front line testers.
>
> If you can help us with GEDCOM files, please upload them using ftp to
> our anonymous ftp site:
>
> ftp.gramps-project.org
>
> The username is "[hidden email]", and you can use anything for
> the password. Please place the files in the /incoming directory. A
> typical session to upload a file called "test.ged" would look something
> like:
>
> $ ftp ftp.gramps-project.org
> Name (ftp.gramps-project.org:dona): [hidden email]
> Password:
> ftp> cd /incoming
> ftp> put test.ged
> ftp> quit
>
>
> Again, we are looking for a wide variety of GEDCOMs created by a wide
> variety of programs.
>



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gedcoms for 2.1/2.2

Don Allingham
Yes, that is one of the cases we use.

However, this only tests valid GEDCOM. We haven't come across a
commercial program yet that produces valid GEDCOM. They all like to
"embrace and extend" this standard, which causes us no end of troubles.

So, even if we complete support the entire standard, this means that we
will still have problems with most of the gedcom files out there.

Don

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 08:06 -0500, Steve Hall wrote:

> Have we ever tested Gramps against the "Torture Test" GEDCOM files:
>
>   http://www.geditcom.com/gedcom.html
>
> ?
>
> On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 05:55 -0700, Don Allingham wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 18:06 +1100, Trevor Rhodes wrote:
> > >
> > > Oh, and if you don't know me, don't worry, I expect Don, Alex or one of the
> > > other developers will vouch for me when they come on later in the day.
> > >
> >
> > For those of you who do not know Trevor, he maintains our bug tracking
> > system, creates our Fedora Core and Mandriva RPM packages, and serves as
> > one of our front line testers.
> >
> > If you can help us with GEDCOM files, please upload them using ftp to
> > our anonymous ftp site:
> >
> > ftp.gramps-project.org
> >
> > The username is "[hidden email]", and you can use anything for
> > the password. Please place the files in the /incoming directory. A
> > typical session to upload a file called "test.ged" would look something
> > like:
> >
> > $ ftp ftp.gramps-project.org
> > Name (ftp.gramps-project.org:dona): [hidden email]
> > Password:
> > ftp> cd /incoming
> > ftp> put test.ged
> > ftp> quit
> >
> >
> > Again, we are looking for a wide variety of GEDCOMs created by a wide
> > variety of programs.
> >
>
>
--
Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gedcoms for 2.1/2.2

eric-60
In reply to this post by sakuno
I have uploaded ~250 files downloaded from familysearch.org, from Ancestral
File, and are all related.
I would like to be able to easily merge them into a single database, knowing
that records with the same ID's in more than one gedcom file really are the
same person .

Not a high priority, but since you asked for files...

Eric


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gedcoms for 2.1/2.2

Richard Bos
In reply to this post by Don Allingham
Op maandag 23 januari 2006 14:50, schreef Don Allingham:
> Yes, that is one of the cases we use.
>
> However, this only tests valid GEDCOM. We haven't come across a
> commercial program yet that produces valid GEDCOM. They all like to
> "embrace and extend" this standard, which causes us no end of troubles.
>
> So, even if we complete support the entire standard, this means that we
> will still have problems with most of the gedcom files out there.

Out of interest: how are the mulitmedia references stored?   Are these stored
in the gedcom as well, or are they saved externally?
Is all data that is collected by gramps stored in the gedcom, or is some data
stored outside gedcom?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users