General unwieldiness

Greg Bard
Gramps is great software, and the problems I have with it are probably
the same ones the developers already know about and wish they could do
something about. However...

In general, I find that Gramps is very non-responsive (i.e. I need to
click twice or three or four times). I considered that this could be a
quirk of my own computer, but I have a pretty fast computer that
doesn't have this feel on other applications. This would be livable
except for a few things...

Very often it will bring up multiple windows that layer on top of each
other. A window for an individual person entry, and then a window on
top of that for a family, and then a window on top of that when I
enter a place, etcetera.... So since it's so clunky, I often have to
click more than a few times on the "ok" or the "cancel" and the
previous window's "ok" or "cancel" button is located immediately
underneath the first click. On more than a few occasions I have had to
enter all the information again because it canceled all the previous
work. The events are still created and in the events list, so I do go
and add them back from there, but is still a pretty big inconvenience.

Greg Bard

Re: General unwieldiness

Boris M Struk
I thought I was the only one with the problem of lack of responsiveness. My index finger is getting quite muscular from all the unnecessary mouse clicking. Quite a frustrating experience.

Boris

On 10 May 2015 at 3:44, Greg Bard wrote:

[...]

--------
One dashboard for servers and applications across
Physical-Virtual-Cloud
Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you Actionable
Insights
http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

Boris
______________________

Re: General unwieldiness

rcarlson
I agree - Gramps is great software - the developers do a great job - Thank You

My experience is the opposite. I find Gramps quick and rarely find any delays.

I'm on Gramps 3.4.8 on Ubuntu 14.04

Even when I have tested newer versions of Gramps in a VirtualBox on the same PC. I don't find any issues.

Richard

From: Greg Bard <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Gramps-users] General unwieldiness

> To: [hidden email]
>
> Gramps is great software, and the problems I have with it are probably
> the same ones the developers already know about and wish they could do
> something about. However...
>
> In general, I find that Gramps is very non-responsive (i.e. I need to
> click twice or three or four times). I considered that this could be a
> quirk of my own computer, but I have a pretty fast computer that
> doesn't have this feel on other applications. This would be livable
> except for a few things...
>
> Very often it will bring up multiple windows that layer on top of each
> other. A window for an individual person entry, and then a window on
> top of that for a family, and then a window on top of that when I
> enter a place, etcetera.... So since it's so clunky, I often have to
> click more than a few times on the "ok" or the "cancel" and the
> previous window's "ok" or "cancel" button is located immediately
> underneath the first click. On more than a few occasions I have had to
> enter all the information again because it canceled all the previous
> work. The events are still created and in the events list, so I do go
> and add them back from there, but is still a pretty big inconvenience.
>
> Greg Bard

Re: General unwieldiness

Harvey Nimmo
On Sun, 2015-05-10 at 03:44 -0400, Greg Bard wrote:

> Gramps is great software, and the problems I have with it are probably
> the same ones the developers already know about and wish they could do
> something about. However...
>
> In general, I find that Gramps is very non-responsive (i.e. I need to
> click twice or three or four times). I considered that this could be a
> quirk of my own computer, but I have a pretty fast computer that
> doesn't have this feel on other applications. This would be livable
> except for a few things...
>
> Very often it will bring up multiple windows that layer on top of each
> other. A window for an individual person entry, and then a window on
> top of that for a family, and then a window on top of that when I
> enter a place, etcetera.... So since it's so clunky, I often have to
> click more than a few times on the "ok" or the "cancel" and the
> previous window's "ok" or "cancel" button is located immediately
> underneath the first click. On more than a few occasions I have had to
> enter all the information again because it canceled all the previous
> work. The events are still created and in the events list, so I do go
> and add them back from there, but is still a pretty big inconvenience.
>
> Greg Bard

Yes, isn't it just great. I love it. But there is always room for
improvement and that fact that there is a culture of continual
improvement is a strong point in itself. I personally do get irritated
with the many overlaid windows, in particular the fact that, when they
are overlaid, it is often difficult to distinguish which 'OK' button
belongs to which window. This may be partly due to the Gnome desktop I
use, when one window seems to merge into the next due to the colour
scheming, but I suspect it is also aggravated by the Gramps window
monoculture. I wonder if there is a way to make the experience a little
more user friendly?

Cheers
Harvey

Re: General unwieldiness

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 10 May 2015 13:19:16 +0200
Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Harvey,

>scheming, but I suspect it is also aggravated by the Gramps window
>monoculture. I wonder if there is a way to make the experience a little
>more user friendly?

My DE of choice allows me to override default positions of windows
opened.  I can choose specific location, tiled, etc.  Maybe your DE/WM
offers something similar.

--
 Regards  _
He signed up for just three years, it seemed a small amount

Re: General unwieldiness

DS Blank
Greg,

Thanks for the note. These issues probably have little to do with Gramps, but everything to do with the graphics library that Gramps uses.

What version of Gramps do you use? What operating system are you using? "gramps --version" at the command line will give the versions of everything.

Also, as a work-around until the graphics library gets better, you might want to avoid clicking altogether. For example, most buttons can be activated with keyboard commands. Alt+o should select "Ok", and Escape should select "Cancel".

-Doug

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 3:44 AM, Greg Bard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gramps is great software, and the problems I have with it are probably
the same ones the developers already know about and wish they could do
something about. However...

In general, I find that Gramps is very non-responsive (i.e. I need to
click twice or three or four times). I considered that this could be a
quirk of my own computer, but I have a pretty fast computer that
doesn't have this feel on other applications. This would be livable
except for a few things...

Very often it will bring up multiple windows that layer on top of each
other. A window for an individual person entry, and then a window on
top of that for a family, and then a window on top of that when I
enter a place, etcetera.... So since it's so clunky, I often have to
click more than a few times on the "ok" or the "cancel" and the
previous window's "ok" or "cancel" button is located immediately
underneath the first click. On more than a few occasions I have had to
enter all the information again because it canceled all the previous
work. The events are still created and in the events list, so I do go
and add them back from there, but is still a pretty big inconvenience.

Greg Bard

Re: General unwieldiness

Greg,
> Gramps is great software, and the problems I have with it are probably
> the same ones the developers already know about and wish they could do
> something about. However...
> In general, I find that Gramps is very non-responsive (i.e. I need to
> click twice or three or four times). I considered that this could be a
> quirk of my own computer, but I have a pretty fast computer that
> doesn't have this feel on other applications. This would be livable
> except for a few things...
If my Gramps would be non-responsive, I would certainly do something
about that, but the truth is that my 3.4.9 works fine on Linux and
Windows, even on an old PC running Windows XP, with 512 MB memory. This
makes me think that you may run another version than 3.4.9. Is that right?

> Very often it will bring up multiple windows that layer on top of each
> other. A window for an individual person entry, and then a window on
> top of that for a family, and then a window on top of that when I
> enter a place, etcetera.... So since it's so clunky, I often have to
> click more than a few times on the "ok" or the "cancel" and the
> previous window's "ok" or "cancel" button is located immediately
> underneath the first click. On more than a few occasions I have had to
> enter all the information again because it canceled all the previous
> work. The events are still created and in the events list, so I do go
> and add them back from there, but is still a pretty big inconvenience.
I can understand that, and I've seen reports about similar things, and
since Gramps relies on multiple windows, having those not responding can
be a nuisance indeed. That's why, if you run a version 4.0.x, it may
actually help to go back to 3.4.9.

If you already run a version like 4.1.0 or newer, it may help to get
4.1.3. Fellow developers have tried to solve reported problems about
freezing windows etc., and I think that for Mac and Windows, the new
version also includes updated versions of the windowing libraries that
may be causing this.

If you're on Linux, a modern version of that should help too, but I have
no idea what you use.

regards,

Re: General unwieldiness

DS Blank
On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 6:22 AM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greg,

Thanks for the note. These issues probably have little to do with Gramps, but everything to do with the graphics library that Gramps uses.

What version of Gramps do you use? What operating system are you using? "gramps --version" at the command line will give the versions of everything.

Also, as a work-around until the graphics library gets better, you might want to avoid clicking altogether. For example, most buttons can be activated with keyboard commands. Alt+o should select "Ok", and Escape should select "Cancel".

I think I see what you might be experiencing... it looks like the latest versions of Gtk (graphics used in Gramp 4 and greater) has some issues with mouse sensitivity. For example, it looks like if your mouse moves at all during a click or double-click, it is ignored.

We'll keep a watch on this issue; I'm sure it will get better as time goes on.

-Doug