Generating a Place Hierarchy from Place Titles

Generating a Place Hierarchy from Place Titles

Tony Gordon
I have received a large GEDCOM file from a relative that I want to ultimately add to my main database after I have tidied it up a bit. All of the places (over 4700 of them) have comma-separated titles. I would like to break them into a hierarchy. The generateplace addon used to do this in Gramps 4, but I don't think it works in Gramps 5. The place completion tool doesn't seem to do the same thing; it doesn't appear to have a simple break out option. Can I create a hierarchy from the titles in Gramps 5 or will it be easiest if I install Gramps 4 and use the old tool? I am happy to do the correct assignment of each place (e.g. a state, or a county etc.) after the break out. I am also happy playing with other tools, e.g. a spreadsheet to break the titles into components if I can them import them as I hierarchy into Gramps somehow.

Tony