Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

Patryk Bęza
My problem (TL;DR):
> Tree visualization generated by Gramps is *ugly* and *not flexible enough* to fully customize it e.g. by selecting manually which data should be visualized within tree's nodes (e.g. place of birth, place of death, grave GPS coordinates, notes etc.).

I'm not sure if this problem was raised by anyone in the near past or
whenever.  Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that graphs and charts
generated by Gramps are quite *ugly* and not flexible enough?

Don't get me wrong -- I love Gramps -- it's very flexible if it comes to
ways of storing all kinds of data and has great, active community, but
unfortunately support for visualization of the stored data really sucks.
 Generated charts and graphs are 'old school looking', like from
mid-nineties.  Widths and heights of the visualized nodes are not
identical which looks terribly.  What's more there are many other
problems with generating final graphs, e.g.: embedding well resized
images within nodes (and selecting which one should be embedded within a
node), making custom looking nodes, printing full tree on the custom
size paper, splitting the graph on many papers and many more.  Gramps
has nice, flexible UI if it comes to introducing new and updating
existing data, but it has hopeless ways of presenting the data.

Notice that at the end of the day, after much genealogical work we've
done, we probably all want to be able to export and present our work to
the audience (family) which is quite difficult task with crappy tools
for generating graphs and charts.

I'm generating full trees of my family tree (nearly 300 people so far)
using (Report > Graphs > Relationship Graph) menu.  I select Graphviz as
a *.gv output (*not* 'Graphviz (PDF)') because 'Graphviz (PDF)' option
always make generated graph malformed (i.e. not visible edges -- I don't
know why).  I manually compile *.gv file to PDF or SVG (BTW: I have a
problem with zoom limit in generated PDFs -- I'm not able to zoom in the
family tree enough to see big enough letters -- any idea how to solve
the problem?).

I know that there are tabs in 'Relationship Graph' option menu that
allow customization of the colors of tree's nodes, thickness of the
edges, spacing between the rows of nodes and nodes themselves but it's
not enough to make the generated graph nice looking, modern, flat and
clean.  To be honest, I have *never* seen nice looking, clean graph
generated by Gramps.  Maybe it boils down to the limited GraphViz
functionality that is unable to produce nice, clean and modern looking
graphs?

To make Gramps more complete and more user-friendly, I'd expect from
Gramps that it has default settings for generating nice looking graphs,
but unfortunately it's very difficult (or even impossible, because I
didn't manage to create nice looking graph) for me, as a programmer, to
customize GraphViz template, so that Gramps can produce as nice family
tree as e.g. MyHeritage.  BTW: I *do not* advertise MyHeritage.com --
it's only one of many examples of how nice can generated family tree
graph look like; in fact there are many websites that generates nice
looking family trees, but they are lacking Gramps functionality and
flexibility.

Let's compare graphs generated by Gramps (GraphViz):

  -
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/images/b/b8/RelationshipChartDescendants.png

and by MyHeritage:

  -
https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/myheritage_family_tree.png

MyHeritage's graph clearly wins -- clean UI, mainly horizontal edges
nicely curved on the sides.  I know that I linked small MyHeritage's
tree and quite big Gramps' family tree, but MyHeritages trees scale very
well (test it!).  In my opinion that is how (one of many possible)
preview of the full graph should look like in the Gramps.  It should be
exportable to both SVG, PDF and other formats (which I don't like,
because they are not vector graphics which is crucial if it comes to
huge family trees).  MyHeritage's tree is readable and nice looking
(unfortunately they are not very flexible and customizable) not only for
me as a creator of the family tree, but also for non-technical people
that got used to clean UI (I'm Linux user, so I got used to old
fashioned UIs :-P).

What are your opinions on this issue?  Are there any plugins that can
help me?  Are there any issues in bug tracker that refer to
visualization techniques (charts, graphs etc.)?

Any comments welcomed.

Patrick Bęza
(Warsaw, Poland)

Re: Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

Ron Johnson
On 10/03/2017 07:31 AM, Patryk Bęza wrote:
> My problem (TL;DR):
>> Tree visualization generated by Gramps is *ugly* and *not flexible enough* to fully customize it e.g. by selecting manually which data should be visualized within tree's nodes (e.g. place of birth, place of death, grave GPS coordinates, notes etc.).
> I'm not sure if this problem was raised by anyone in the near past or
> whenever.  Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that graphs and charts
> generated by Gramps are quite *ugly* and not flexible enough?

The "print" graphs certainly are.

[snip]

> Let's compare graphs generated by Gramps (GraphViz):
>
>    -
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/images/b/b8/RelationshipChartDescendants.png
>
> and by MyHeritage:
>
>    -
> https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/myheritage_family_tree.png
>
> MyHeritage's graph clearly wins -- clean UI, mainly horizontal edges
> nicely curved on the sides.  I know that I linked small MyHeritage's
> tree and quite big Gramps' family tree, but MyHeritages trees scale very
> well (test it!).
[snip]
> What are your opinions on this issue?  Are there any plugins that can
> help me?  Are there any issues in bug tracker that refer to
> visualization techniques (charts, graphs etc.)?

You're comparing "print" apples with "screen display" oranges.  (If that's
an Americanism which confuses you, then I apologize.)

You should compare MyHeritage against Gramps' Charts instead.

NdK

Il 03/10/2017 14:31, Patryk Bęza ha scritto:

> I'm not sure if this problem was raised by anyone in the near past or
> whenever.  Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that graphs and charts
> generated by Gramps are quite *ugly* and not flexible enough?
Probably.
For me, a clearly readable graph is not ugly, an unreadable one is.
GraphViz is aimed at generic graphs, so it might not be optimized for
genealogy. But, if you want, you can improve it (possibly writing a
different interpreter like dot or neato). That probably wouldn't require
big changes in Gramps.

> MyHeritage's graph clearly wins -- clean UI, mainly horizontal edges
> nicely curved on the sides.  I know that I linked small MyHeritage's
> tree and quite big Gramps' family tree, but MyHeritages trees scale very
> well (test it!).
Nope. It's good only for simple trees. Try graphing a "tree" where two
brothers marry two sisters then, when a brother and a sister die the
remaining ones marry and form another family. Real case, not just an
example.

BYtE,
 Diego

Re: Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

Per Starbäck
I wish for something that uses the LaTeX package "genealogytree" to
produce printed trees. That is free software that can make really nice
trees, but uses its own input format.
The package: https://ctan.org/pkg/genealogytree

The documentation for the package talks about how the producer of the
database would presumable be "a machine like a genealogy program", but
still there is no such program that uses it.
When asked about this the author stated that he had "the (weak) hope
that some author would implement such an export module into his/her
software (hey, I can use this free tree drawing for my software), but
I do not know of any yet." (Quoted from
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/377690/preparing-input-for-genealogytree
)

> On 10/03/2017 07:31 AM, Patryk Bęza wrote:
>>
>> My problem (TL;DR):
>>>
>>> Tree visualization generated by Gramps is *ugly* and *not flexible
>>> enough* to fully customize it e.g. by selecting manually which data should
>>> be visualized within tree's nodes (e.g. place of birth, place of death,
>>> grave GPS coordinates, notes etc.).
>>
>> I'm not sure if this problem was raised by anyone in the near past or
>> whenever.  Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that graphs and charts
>> generated by Gramps are quite *ugly* and not flexible enough?
>

> The "print" graphs certainly are.
>
> [snip]
>>
>> Let's compare graphs generated by Gramps (GraphViz):
>>
>>    -
>>
>> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/images/b/b8/RelationshipChartDescendants.png
>>
>> and by MyHeritage:
>>
>>    -
>>
>> https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/myheritage_family_tree.png
>>
>> MyHeritage's graph clearly wins -- clean UI, mainly horizontal edges
>> nicely curved on the sides.  I know that I linked small MyHeritage's
>> tree and quite big Gramps' family tree, but MyHeritages trees scale very
>> well (test it!).
>
> [snip]
>>
>> What are your opinions on this issue?  Are there any plugins that can
>> help me?  Are there any issues in bug tracker that refer to
>> visualization techniques (charts, graphs etc.)?
>

> You're comparing "print" apples with "screen display" oranges.  (If that's
> an Americanism which confuses you, then I apologize.)
>
> You should compare MyHeritage against Gramps' Charts instead.
>
> --
> World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Re: Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

I'm not sure if this problem was raised by anyone in the near past or
whenever.  Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that graphs and charts
generated by Gramps are quite *ugly* and not flexible enough?

'ugly' is in the eye of the beholder.  Getting the info onto a readable graph is key, and I think Gramps does a great job of that, if you use it right.

Widths and heights of the visualized nodes are not
identical which looks terribly.  What's more there are many other
problems with generating final graphs, e.g.: embedding well resized
images within nodes (and selecting which one should be embedded within a
node), making custom looking nodes, printing full tree on the custom
size paper, splitting the graph on many papers and many more.

I think you are not using it right.  When I printed a tree with 250+ people with relationship graph it turned out fine, readable, nice photos etc.  I selected a custom paper size of 15 foot by 3 foot (~5x1 meters).  I actually sent it to a print shop for printing on roll paper.  When viewed as a pdf, it was quite possible to zoom into all the details and see them.  The Ghostscript (PDF) output has the ability to split the graph into multiple smaller pages, although I don't care to use that option myself, too hard to paste back together.

I select Graphviz as
a *.gv output (*not* 'Graphviz (PDF)') because 'Graphviz (PDF)' option
always make generated graph malformed (i.e. not visible edges -- I don't
know why).  I manually compile *.gv file to PDF or SVG (BTW: I have a
problem with zoom limit in generated PDFs -- I'm not able to zoom in the
family tree enough to see big enough letters -- any idea how to solve
the problem?).
Print to a much larger custom paper size, then the lines and zoom will not be an issue.  I much prefer the Ghostscript (PDF) output, it might be a bit better, although I suspect it looks the same at sufficiently large paper sizes.

I know that there are tabs in 'Relationship Graph' option menu that
allow customization of the colors of tree's nodes, thickness of the
edges, spacing between the rows of nodes and nodes themselves but it's
not enough to make the generated graph nice looking, modern, flat and
clean.

As most Gramps developers are volunteer programmers, NOT artists, we would appreciate specific, detailed, suggestions on changes.  They might not be possible without massive design changes, but at least we would know what you are asking for.
Your email at the moment comes off as more of a rant, and is likely to be ignored.

Let's compare graphs generated by Gramps (GraphViz):
A severely zoomed in screen shot is not going to be able to compete with a finished chart.  Please take the same data and produce printable charts on both if you want us to see what you perceive as a 'better' chart.

Re: Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

Based on a quick look at their documentation, adapting Gramps to the "genealogytree" appears to be quite possible, for an experienced programmer.  Since both appear to be open source, it should be possible to do this, although I have to wonder if there might be some sort of conflict between the Latex LPPL license and the GNU GPL.

The method would be to write a Gramps 'Addon', there is a lot of documentation about how to do this and lots of examples to assist an author.

Paul C.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Per Starbäck <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wish for something that uses the LaTeX package "genealogytree" to
produce printed trees. That is free software that can make really nice
trees, but uses its own input format.
The package: https://ctan.org/pkg/genealogytree

The documentation for the package talks about how the producer of the
database would presumable be "a machine like a genealogy program", but
still there is no such program that uses it.
When asked about this the author stated that he had "the (weak) hope
that some author would implement such an export module into his/her
software (hey, I can use this free tree drawing for my software), but
I do not know of any yet." (Quoted from
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/377690/preparing-input-for-genealogytree
)

> On 10/03/2017 07:31 AM, Patryk Bęza wrote:
>>
>> My problem (TL;DR):
>>>
>>> Tree visualization generated by Gramps is *ugly* and *not flexible
>>> enough* to fully customize it e.g. by selecting manually which data should
>>> be visualized within tree's nodes (e.g. place of birth, place of death,
>>> grave GPS coordinates, notes etc.).
>>
>> I'm not sure if this problem was raised by anyone in the near past or
>> whenever.  Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that graphs and charts
>> generated by Gramps are quite *ugly* and not flexible enough?
>

> The "print" graphs certainly are.
>
> [snip]
>>
>> Let's compare graphs generated by Gramps (GraphViz):
>>
>>    -
>>
>> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/images/b/b8/RelationshipChartDescendants.png
>>
>> and by MyHeritage:
>>
>>    -
>>
>> https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/myheritage_family_tree.png
>>
>> MyHeritage's graph clearly wins -- clean UI, mainly horizontal edges
>> nicely curved on the sides.  I know that I linked small MyHeritage's
>> tree and quite big Gramps' family tree, but MyHeritages trees scale very
>> well (test it!).
>
> [snip]
>>
>> What are your opinions on this issue?  Are there any plugins that can
>> help me?  Are there any issues in bug tracker that refer to
>> visualization techniques (charts, graphs etc.)?
>

> You're comparing "print" apples with "screen display" oranges.  (If that's
> an Americanism which confuses you, then I apologize.)
>
> You should compare MyHeritage against Gramps' Charts instead.
>
> --
> World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Re: Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

Gerhard Killesreiter
Am 03.10.2017 um 15:52 schrieb Paul Culley:
> Based on a quick look at their documentation, adapting Gramps to the
> "genealogytree" appears to be quite possible, for an experienced
> programmer.

The issue is that the genealogytree is great, but does not support all
possible kinds of family trees. e.g., I have about 5% pedigree loss in
parts of my tree and it couldn't cope with that without manual handholding.

Cheers,
Gerhard

Re: Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

Paul Franklin-5

On 10/5/17, Gerhard Killesreiter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The issue is that the genealogytree is great, but does not support all
> possible kinds of family trees. e.g., I have about 5% pedigree loss in
> parts of my tree and it couldn't cope with that without manual handholding.

Another problem is that the current set of gramps developers do
not have a massive amount of LaTeX knowledge, and since every
LaTeX user can have different LaTeX libraries set up, which make
LaTeX behave differently for everybody as I understand it, it is not
easily possible to make gramps produce LaTeX for non-standard
uses, when we don't know exactly what the user's LaTeX is.  Even
things like different languages affect the LaTeX a user has (Arabic
for instance, a right-to-left script).

Re: Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

Per Starbäck
> On 10/5/17, Gerhard Killesreiter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The issue is that the genealogytree is great, but does not support all
>> possible kinds of family trees. e.g., I have about 5% pedigree loss in
>> parts of my tree and it couldn't cope with that without manual handholding.

That is true. genealogytree basically supports three kinds of graphs:
 - ancestor trees
 - descendent trees (with multiple marriages)
 - sand clock
where the last one has both ancestors and descendents for the proband
in the middle.

But is that an issue? Similar restrictions true for other diagrams and
graphical reports. The original post here mentioned a descendent graph
made by Gramps for example.

Paul Franklin wrote:
> Another problem is that the current set of gramps developers do
> not have a massive amount of LaTeX knowledge, and since every
> LaTeX user can have different LaTeX libraries set up, which make
> LaTeX behave differently for everybody as I understand it, it is not
> easily possible to make gramps produce LaTeX for non-standard
> uses, when we don't know exactly what the user's LaTeX is.  Even
> things like different languages affect the LaTeX a user has (Arabic
> for instance, a right-to-left script).

I don't think the second point should be an issue. What I primarily
meant was reports that generated pdf's via genealogytree. Maybe
similar to one of the example pdfs at
https://ctan.org/pkg/genealogytree . If any users use LaTeX for
something else and what libraries they tend to use in their other
documents wouldn't matter more than what  Graphviz features some
Gramps users are using in other projects.

Also, for those (us) who actually use LaTeX, and want to write the
LaTeX code ourselves, some way to keep the intermediate TeX file would
be good, in case we want to change it, and just being able to export
data from Gramps to the database file (.graph) that genealogytree uses
would be good.

On 10/5/17, Per Starbäck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That is true. genealogytree basically supports three kinds of graphs:
>  - ancestor trees
>  - descendent trees (with multiple marriages)
>  - sand clock
> where the last one has both ancestors and descendents for the proband
> in the middle.

Yes, gramps has those three types also.

> Also, for those (us) who actually use LaTeX, and want to write the
> LaTeX code ourselves, some way to keep the intermediate TeX file would
> be good, in case we want to change it, and just being able to export
> data from Gramps to the database file (.graph) that genealogytree uses
> would be good.

It's hard for me to imagine that you don't know that gramps
will make LaTeX output, but in case there are other users
out there who don't know, I'll mention that it can.

Re: Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

Gerhard Killesreiter

> It's hard for me to imagine that you don't know that gramps
> will make LaTeX output, but in case there are other users
> out there who don't know, I'll mention that it can.

The issue with that output is that it makes LaTeX people sad.

Cheers,
Gerhard

Am 05.10.2017 um 21:06 schrieb Per Starbäck:

>> On 10/5/17, Gerhard Killesreiter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The issue is that the genealogytree is great, but does not support all
>>> possible kinds of family trees. e.g., I have about 5% pedigree loss in
>>> parts of my tree and it couldn't cope with that without manual handholding.
>
> That is true. genealogytree basically supports three kinds of graphs:
>  - ancestor trees
>  - descendent trees (with multiple marriages)
>  - sand clock
> where the last one has both ancestors and descendents for the proband
> in the middle.
>
> But is that an issue? Similar restrictions true for other diagrams and
> graphical reports. The original post here mentioned a descendent graph
> made by Gramps for example.

Maybe it is less of an issue, there are probably ways to work around
those limitations. There is maybe simply no sane way to plot a 1000
ancestor tree with significant pedigree loss.

I have been on and off working on creating my own ancestor report, since
I am not quite satisfied with what gramps provides and I would require
significant python knowledge to change gramps' output.

The current workflow is:

0) export Gramps XML file
1) run a script that converts that file to cypher
2) import cypher file into neo4j (a graph database)
3) run PHP on a LaTeX template to generate a LaTeX file
4) process the resulting file with pdfLaTeX

0-1 are done, although some gramps elements (Media, Adresses,
Attributes, LDS) aren't converted yet. 2 works too, 3 is working, but I
haven't figured out how to get the output I want in 4 yet.

Cheers,
Gerhard

Re: Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

paul womack
Per Starbäck wrote:

>> On 10/5/17, Gerhard Killesreiter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The issue is that the genealogytree is great, but does not support all
>>> possible kinds of family trees. e.g., I have about 5% pedigree loss in
>>> parts of my tree and it couldn't cope with that without manual handholding.
>
> That is true. genealogytree basically supports three kinds of graphs:
>   - ancestor trees
>   - descendent trees (with multiple marriages)
>   - sand clock
> where the last one has both ancestors and descendents for the proband
> in the middle.
>
> But is that an issue? Similar restrictions true for other diagrams and
> graphical reports. The original post here mentioned a descendent graph
> made by Gramps for example.
I wrote a program to generate "full" trees; obviously, this can
only generate clean diagrams for small datasets, since (in general)
lines HAVE to cross. I attached an obfuscated sample (95 people)

Sample here (from only 7 days, sorry)
https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/ZR9qbHEuPT

   BugBear

On 10/6/17, Gerhard Killesreiter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's hard for me to imagine that you don't know that gramps
>> will make LaTeX output, but in case there are other users
>> out there who don't know, I'll mention that it can.
>
> The issue with that output is that it makes LaTeX people sad.

While that observation may be true (I have no way to know),
in order to correct it we would need to have some volunteer
who knows both LaTeX and Python, to change gramps code.

Such people are rare.  And presumably very busy already.

Another part of the problem is that the LaTeX output option is
merely one of several different output possibilities, all of which
have the same API, the same abstraction of the information fed
into them.  So that cannot be changed, only what the LaTeX
"backend" does with it.

That said, gramps is always willing to consider and evaluate
contributions, from anybody, of any sort.

The gramps project has always consisted only of volunteers.

Re: Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

Per Starbäck
> It's hard for me to imagine that you don't know that gramps
> will make LaTeX output, but in case there are other users
> out there who don't know, I'll mention that it can.

I don't remember if I knew it. (It sounds somewhat familiar.) But for
me it is really beside the point when I'm suggesting genealogytree as
something that generates nice graphs. The reason I suggest
genealogytree is because it makes good results, not because it's a
LaTeX package.

To make a gramps plugin for using genealogytree is not about
translating gramps data to "LaTeX". Instead it's about translating
gramps data to the data format used by genealogytree. A very short (36
lines) example is this with only one family, quoted from the manual.
--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<-------
child[id=SmitBowd1742]{
  g[id=SmitChar1722]{
    male,
    name       = {\pref{Charles} \surn{Smith}},
    birth      = {(caAD)1722}{London},
    baptism    = {1722-04-13}{London},
    death+     = {1764-10-12}{}{killed},
    profession = {Copper smith, soldier},
    comment    = {Invented the square wheel},
  }
  p[id=BowdJane1724]{
    female,
    name     = {\pref{Jane} \surn{Bowden}},
    floruit- = {1724/1802},
    marriage = {1742-03-02}{London},
  }
  c[id=BowdAbra1740]{
    male,
    name   = {\pref{Abraham} \surn{Bowden}},
    birth+ = {1740-01-04}{London}{out of wedlock},
    death  = {1740-02-23}{London}
  }
  c[id=SmitEliz1744]{
    female,
    name    = {\pref{Elizabeth} \nick{Liz} \surn{Smith}},
    birth   = {1744-02-02}{London},
    floruit = {1780/1805}{New York},
    death   = {1812-04-12}{Boston},
    comment = {Had a store in Boston},
  }
  c[id=SmitMich1758]{
    male,
    name   = {\pref{Michael} \surn{Smith}},
    birth+ = {1758-03-01}{}{died},
  }
}
--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<-------

That format is somewhat LaTeXy (after all, LaTeX is parsing it), but
that doesn't mean that LaTeX expertise is needed in producing (or
parsing) it.

Re: Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

Nick Hall
On 07/10/17 08:06, Per Starbäck wrote:
> To make a gramps plugin for using genealogytree is not about
> translating gramps data to "LaTeX". Instead it's about translating
> gramps data to the data format used by genealogytree. A very short (36
> lines) example is this with only one family, quoted from the manual.
> -

Have you got a link?

It should be very easy to write an exporter addon.

Re: Generating clean, modern looking, readable family tree graph

Per Starbäck
>> To make a gramps plugin for using genealogytree is not about
>> translating gramps data to "LaTeX". Instead it's about translating
>> gramps data to the data format used by genealogytree. A very short (36
>> lines) example is this with only one family, quoted from the manual.
>> -
>
> Have you got a link?
>
> It should be very easy to write an exporter addon.
>
> Nick.

https://ctan.org/pkg/genealogytree
The database format is described in Chapter 7 of the manual.
(But to do this you also need to know about the graph structure
(described in Chapter 4).)

On 07/10/17 10:38, Per Starbäck wrote:
> https://ctan.org/pkg/genealogytree
> The database format is described in Chapter 7 of the manual.
> (But to do this you also need to know about the graph structure
> (described in Chapter 4).)

Thanks.  This is certainly worth investigating further.

On 08/10/17 00:07, Nick Hall wrote:
> This is certainly worth investigating further.

Created a feature request:

10223: LaTeX genealogytree reports

I have attached an experimental tool to the feature request which
generates a descendant tree for the active person.  To install, move the
files into your plugins directory.  The tool can be found in the
Tools->Utilities menu.

On 10/10/2017 05:40 PM, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 08/10/17 00:07, Nick Hall wrote:
>> This is certainly worth investigating further.
>
> Created a feature request:
>
> 10223: LaTeX genealogytree reports
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=10223
>
> I have attached an experimental tool to the feature request which
> generates a descendant tree for the active person.  To install, move the
> files into your plugins directory.  The tool can be found in the
> Tools->Utilities menu.

What are the dependencies?