Generation refererence numbers (Hager, Kekules) in Gramps?

Generation refererence numbers (Hager, Kekules) in Gramps?

emma9158
Maybe I have just been dreaming, but I felt so very sure that I had read
about that one could set Gramps to automatically add an reference number
(according to the Hager or Kekules system) for ones direct ancestors,
probably among attributes. However, now that I am trying to find this, I am
totally unsuccessful, and browsing the internet also doesn't give any clues.
I'm starting to wondering if I have just been dreaming... If anyone could
tell me whether or not I am searching in vain, I would appreciate this a
lot.
Many thanks in advance.
Emma Marie

Re: Generation refererence numbers (Hager, Kekules) in Gramps?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Just overtype the desired Reference in the ID field manually. (I'd recommend prefixing I'd with a system identifier. All my Horn-Jacobs Society IDs are prefixed with 'HJS-' so that they sort together.)

When creating a New Person, the ID field is blank... in case you want to enter a Custom ID

But, since most people are in multiple Ancestral systems, you may want to use a Custom Attribute for Genealogical databases instead:

There's also a Gramplet for viewing them. (Which, if you're inclined towards programming, could be used a sample/reference code.)

-Brian

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 17:59, emma9158
Maybe I have just been dreaming, but I felt so very sure that I had read about that one could set Gramps to automatically add an reference number (according to the Hager or Kekules system) for ones direct ancestors, probably among attributes. However, now that I am trying to find this, I am totally unsuccessful, and browsing the internet also doesn't give any clues.

I'm starting to wondering if I have just been dreaming... If anyone could tell me whether or not I am searching in vain, I would appreciate this a lot.

Many thanks in advance.
Emma Marie

Re: Generation refererence numbers (Hager, Kekules) in Gramps?

emma9158
Thank you for the suggestion.
However, that isn’t what I meant. I can already manually add generation
reference numbers manually in attributes, so changing IDs doesn’t make
sense.

The thing is that I was so very sure that I had seen somewhere that one
could use a command, or a tool, to make Gramps automatically set the
referene numbers, probably as an attribute. This didn’t sound impossible, as
my swedish ancestral research program can do this.
But, now that I’m looking and reading the wiki, I can not find any such
option, and maybe I simply either remember this wrong or misread the
information earlier.

In case I’m using the wrong expression when talking about “generation
reference numbers” (english isn’t my first language), what I mean is: father
= I:1, mother = I:2, fathers father = II:1 and so on (Hagers version).
I know that I can auto-set it in the ahnentafel-report, but I’m talking
about in Gramps itself.

Emma Marie

Re: Generation refererence numbers (Hager, Kekules) in Gramps?

Dave Scheipers
Hi Emma

I think the reason that there is no such numbering system built into
the program, any numbering system would depend on the base person.
And the base person could change based upon your needs at the time.

I used to use PAF. It would add Ahentafel numbers off of a base
person.  But those numbers entered only made sense for the base person
and their siblings.

There is a Set Attribute tool that works on people and will accept
filters. But any entry set would be globally set to all those in the
filter.

Sorry, Dave

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 12:26 PM emma9158 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestion.
> However, that isn’t what I meant. I can already manually add generation
> reference numbers manually in attributes, so changing IDs doesn’t make
> sense.
>
> The thing is that I was so very sure that I had seen somewhere that one
> could use a command, or a tool, to make Gramps automatically set the
> referene numbers, probably as an attribute. This didn’t sound impossible, as
> my swedish ancestral research program can do this.
> But, now that I’m looking and reading the wiki, I can not find any such
> option, and maybe I simply either remember this wrong or misread the
> information earlier.
>
> In case I’m using the wrong expression when talking about “generation
> reference numbers” (english isn’t my first language), what I mean is: father
> = I:1, mother = I:2, fathers father = II:1 and so on (Hagers version).
> I know that I can auto-set it in the ahnentafel-report, but I’m talking
> about in Gramps itself.
>
> Emma Marie
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Generation refererence numbers (Hager, Kekules) in Gramps?

Simon C. Tremblay
Hi all,

Because like Dave said, the numbering would change depending on who the base person is, it might be best suited for a report. Before generating the report, you choose the base person, then the numbering system (Stradonitz is popular here in Quebec) and the numbers get added in the output.

Simon