Gensdatapro gedcom to Gramps

Michel Serné
Hello,
I have a question about getting data from a specific Dutch program named
"GensDataPro" (GDP)
Is there someone who can explain how I can copy a gedcom file from GDP
into Gramps, without loss of information.
The citations, sources and so on are complete "chaos". I have to check
all my 6000 family members with their links to sources, citations etc..

I do not want to do this (takes me years to complete such a transition)

I like Gramps, but I do not like the difficult way of transition of data
from a gedcom file (and most of the other software programs use gedcom...)

Regards,

Michel Serné
Netherlands

Re: Gensdatapro gedcom to Gramps

enno
Op 25-03-18 om 11:29 schreef Michel Serné:
> I have a question about getting data from a specific Dutch program
> named "GensDataPro" (GDP)
> Is there someone who can explain how I can copy a gedcom file from GDP
> into Gramps, without loss of information.
If Gramps' built-in GEDCOM import doesn't do the job, there isn't much
that you can do. Gramps will import GEDCOM parts that it doesn't
understand into notes, but if you end up with thousands of such notes
that you must convert to decent citations yourself, Gramps will not
really work for you. I get that.

> The citations, sources and so on are complete "chaos". I have to check
> all my 6000 family members with their links to sources, citations etc..
>
> I do not want to do this (takes me years to complete such a transition)
Sometimes, part of the chaos can be corrected by loading the GPD GEDCOM
into a text editor, and then replacing all non-standard tags with tags
that Gramps can understand. There is no guarantee that it helps though,
and it may still be a lot of work.

> I like Gramps, but I do not like the difficult way of transition of
> data from a gedcom file (and most of the other software programs use
> gedcom...)
If the other programs would write standard GEDCOM (like PAF did), there
would not be much of a problem, but reality is that most use
non-standard extensions, and some GEDCOM dialects are a complete mess.
And another reality is that Gramps has already been adapted to a read a
couple of those dialect.

Gramps can probably be extended to read GDP GEDCOMs if you can provide a
sample GEDCOM that has some typical citations that are turned into a
chaos now, and we can find a smart developer that can extend the GEDCOM
library.

To make that work, you can file a bug report, set that to private, so
that only developers can read your data, attach a GEDCOM, and then see
if some developer responds. I don't have time for that myself, but I may
look into your GEDCOM if that helps foreign developers.

groeten uit Driebergen,

Enno

P.S. You may send a GEDCOM to my email address, so that I can get some
insight in the GDP dialect, and give further advice.