Geo-Coordinates per C&P

L.W.
Hello,

could someone please test the following?

I copy and paste values for georeferencing, ie I have latitude and
longitude in the format xxx, yyy copied and pasted by Ctrl + V or right
mouse button in the large - designated - field.

The values were also separated neatly and inserted into the fields
latitude and longitude.

Without further input on the keyboard, I have now closed the window. The
values were not saved.

Now I have made in the large field one more press of a button (a sign
and directly deleted again) - again, the values were not saved.

Now I have tried the same with the character input in only one of the
two coordinate fields. It was always saved only the value at which I
changed one more character - say only after manual input.

I hardly believe that this is a wanted behavior?

many Greetings
Lars

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

Tom Hughes
On 05/12/2018 20:28, L.W. wrote:

> I copy and paste values for georeferencing, ie I have latitude and
> longitude in the format xxx, yyy copied and pasted by Ctrl + V or right
> mouse button in the large - designated - field.
>
> The values were also separated neatly and inserted into the fields
> latitude and longitude.
>
> Without further input on the keyboard, I have now closed the window. The
> values were not saved.
>
> Now I have made in the large field one more press of a button (a sign
> and directly deleted again) - again, the values were not saved.
>
> Now I have tried the same with the character input in only one of the
> two coordinate fields. It was always saved only the value at which I
> changed one more character - say only after manual input.

I noticed it failing to save coordinate values a couple of days
ago but in my case it seemed to only be when I was adding a nested
place (ie adding a new place as a parent of another place I was
in the process of adding) and it worked OK for the leaf place.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Report Filters

I have been playing with the Sources and Citations report.

I find that it is very restrictive in only allowing filters from the
Sources Only Display

I would like to use the Citation Tree Display

I have found this section of code in the SourcesCitationsReport.py file

         filter_option = menu.get_option_by_name('filter')
         self.filter = filter_option.get_filter()

Rather than producing new or modified Options code I thought I might try
hard coding the name of the filter I want to use

The problem is that the name of the filter to use, probably incorporates
the Display it relates to ie "Sources/Ancestry Sources"

Is what I am trying to do possible ?

George Baynes

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

On 12/05/2018 02:28 PM, L.W. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> could someone please test the following?
>
> I copy and paste values for georeferencing, ie I have latitude and
> longitude in the format xxx, yyy copied and pasted by Ctrl + V or right
> mouse button in the large - designated - field.
>
> The values were also separated neatly and inserted into the fields
> latitude and longitude.
>
> Without further input on the keyboard, I have now closed the window. The
> values were not saved.

Did you click on the "Close Window" button at the top of the window, or did
you click on the "Ok" button?

> Now I have made in the large field one more press of a button (a sign and
> directly deleted again) - again, the values were not saved.
>
> Now I have tried the same with the character input in only one of the two
> coordinate fields. It was always saved only the value at which I changed
> one more character - say only after manual input.
>
> I hardly believe that this is a wanted behavior?

There might be a bug, but it's almost certain that you're doing something wrong.

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

L.W.
I closed the window with ok.

Am 05.12.2018 um 22:29 schrieb Ron Johnson:

> On 12/05/2018 02:28 PM, L.W. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> could someone please test the following?
>>
>> I copy and paste values for georeferencing, ie I have latitude and
>> longitude in the format xxx, yyy copied and pasted by Ctrl + V or
>> right mouse button in the large - designated - field.
>>
>> The values were also separated neatly and inserted into the fields
>> latitude and longitude.
>>
>> Without further input on the keyboard, I have now closed the window.
>> The values were not saved.
>
> Did you click on the "Close Window" button at the top of the window,
> or did you click on the "Ok" button?
>
>> Now I have made in the large field one more press of a button (a sign
>> and directly deleted again) - again, the values were not saved.
>>
>> Now I have tried the same with the character input in only one of the
>> two coordinate fields. It was always saved only the value at which I
>> changed one more character - say only after manual input.
>>
>> I hardly believe that this is a wanted behavior?
>
> There might be a bug, but it's almost certain that you're doing
> something wrong.

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

prculley
I cannot replicate your issue.  I pasted into the Place editor big box (for lat/long) using the mouse right click and select paste.  Or with ctrl-v.  Either way the separate Latitude and Longitude fields are immediately updated.  When I close the dialog with 'Ok' it is properly saved.

Note that if you start an enclosed place edit, from another place, and fill some fields, and then close the original dialog before closing the second, your changes will be lost when the second is automatically closed.  You have to close each dialog with 'Ok' in the reverse order they were opened (last first).

Paul C.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 3:53 PM L.W. <[hidden email]> wrote:
I closed the window with ok.

Am 05.12.2018 um 22:29 schrieb Ron Johnson:
> On 12/05/2018 02:28 PM, L.W. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> could someone please test the following?
>>
>> I copy and paste values for georeferencing, ie I have latitude and
>> longitude in the format xxx, yyy copied and pasted by Ctrl + V or
>> right mouse button in the large - designated - field.
>>
>> The values were also separated neatly and inserted into the fields
>> latitude and longitude.
>>
>> Without further input on the keyboard, I have now closed the window.
>> The values were not saved.
>
> Did you click on the "Close Window" button at the top of the window,
> or did you click on the "Ok" button?
>
>> Now I have made in the large field one more press of a button (a sign
>> and directly deleted again) - again, the values were not saved.
>>
>> Now I have tried the same with the character input in only one of the
>> two coordinate fields. It was always saved only the value at which I
>> changed one more character - say only after manual input.
>>
>> I hardly believe that this is a wanted behavior?
>
> There might be a bug, but it's almost certain that you're doing
> something wrong.

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

L.W.

i know how to close the windows in the correct way, i have done this correct.

i used single places and enclosed places.

btw, i use version 5

Am 05.12.2018 um 23:52 schrieb Paul Culley:
I cannot replicate your issue.  I pasted into the Place editor big box (for lat/long) using the mouse right click and select paste.  Or with ctrl-v.  Either way the separate Latitude and Longitude fields are immediately updated.  When I close the dialog with 'Ok' it is properly saved.

Note that if you start an enclosed place edit, from another place, and fill some fields, and then close the original dialog before closing the second, your changes will be lost when the second is automatically closed.  You have to close each dialog with 'Ok' in the reverse order they were opened (last first).

Paul C.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 3:53 PM L.W. <[hidden email]> wrote:
I closed the window with ok.

Am 05.12.2018 um 22:29 schrieb Ron Johnson:
> On 12/05/2018 02:28 PM, L.W. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> could someone please test the following?
>>
>> I copy and paste values for georeferencing, ie I have latitude and
>> longitude in the format xxx, yyy copied and pasted by Ctrl + V or
>> right mouse button in the large - designated - field.
>>
>> The values were also separated neatly and inserted into the fields
>> latitude and longitude.
>>
>> Without further input on the keyboard, I have now closed the window.
>> The values were not saved.
>
> Did you click on the "Close Window" button at the top of the window,
> or did you click on the "Ok" button?
>
>> Now I have made in the large field one more press of a button (a sign
>> and directly deleted again) - again, the values were not saved.
>>
>> Now I have tried the same with the character input in only one of the
>> two coordinate fields. It was always saved only the value at which I
>> changed one more character - say only after manual input.
>>
>> I hardly believe that this is a wanted behavior?
>
> There might be a bug, but it's almost certain that you're doing
> something wrong.

Re: Report Filters

If I understand your email correctly, you want to also see custom filters for citations in the report setup dialog.  If you look in the  SourcesCitationsReport.py add_menu_options method at line 432 (if you are using Gramps 5.0.0) you will see a line that says
        filter_list.extend(CustomFilters.get_filters('Source'))
if you add another line there that says
        filter_list.extend(CustomFilters.get_filters('Citation'))
I think that will do what you want.

Note: I have not tested this, no time at the moment.

Paul C.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 3:19 PM george via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been playing with the Sources and Citations report.

I find that it is very restrictive in only allowing filters from the
Sources Only Display

I would like to use the Citation Tree Display

I have found this section of code in the SourcesCitationsReport.py file

         filter_option = menu.get_option_by_name('filter')
         self.filter = filter_option.get_filter()

Rather than producing new or modified Options code I thought I might try
hard coding the name of the filter I want to use

The problem is that the name of the filter to use, probably incorporates
the Display it relates to ie "Sources/Ancestry Sources"

Is what I am trying to do possible ?

George Baynes

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

J. Allen Crider-2
I had not checked before seeing this thread, but I can now confirm that
I've seen the same behavior.  It only seems to happen when I am adding a
new hierarchy.  For example, when I add a new city that is in a county I
don't have, and add the county from the Enclosed tab on the new city,
click on OK on the county window and then OK on the city window, the
coordinates will not be saved for the new county.  I have found several
incidences with additions made in the last few days.  I will have to go
back and see how many others I have, but I suspect there will be a lot
going back at least to when I started using 5.0

Allen Crider

On 12/5/18 4:52 PM, Paul Culley wrote:

> I cannot replicate your issue.  I pasted into the Place editor big box
> (for lat/long) using the mouse right click and select paste.  Or with
> ctrl-v.  Either way the separate Latitude and Longitude fields are
> immediately updated.  When I close the dialog with 'Ok' it is properly
> saved.
>
> Note that if you start an enclosed place edit, from another place, and
> fill some fields, and then close the original dialog before closing the
> second, your changes will be lost when the second is automatically
> closed.  You have to close each dialog with 'Ok' in the reverse order
> they were opened (last first).
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 3:53 PM L.W. <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I closed the window with ok.
>

>     Am 05.12.2018 um 22:29 schrieb Ron Johnson:
>      > On 12/05/2018 02:28 PM, L.W. wrote:
>      >> Hello,
>      >>
>      >> could someone please test the following?
>      >>
>      >> I copy and paste values for georeferencing, ie I have latitude and
>      >> longitude in the format xxx, yyy copied and pasted by Ctrl + V or
>      >> right mouse button in the large - designated - field.
>      >>
>      >> The values were also separated neatly and inserted into the fields
>      >> latitude and longitude.
>      >>
>      >> Without further input on the keyboard, I have now closed the
>     window.
>      >> The values were not saved.
>      >
>      > Did you click on the "Close Window" button at the top of the window,
>      > or did you click on the "Ok" button?
>      >
>      >> Now I have made in the large field one more press of a button (a
>     sign
>      >> and directly deleted again) - again, the values were not saved.
>      >>
>      >> Now I have tried the same with the character input in only one
>     of the
>      >> two coordinate fields. It was always saved only the value at
>     which I
>      >> changed one more character - say only after manual input.
>      >>
>      >> I hardly believe that this is a wanted behavior?
>      >
>      > There might be a bug, but it's almost certain that you're doing
>      > something wrong.
>      >

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

Hi

Running on UBuntu Mate and ver 5 Gramps

Sucessfully copied and pasted 55.090666, -3.571150 into large box
transferred to latitude and longitude boxes automatically and then
cleared large box when OK was pressed, data retained on moving around in
Gramps and on restart

55°05'26.4"N 3°34'16.1"W this format does not work

Identical behaviour on Win10 Ver 5 Gramps

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 05/12/2018 23:07, L.W. wrote:

> i know how to close the windows in the correct way, i have done this
> correct.
>
> i used single places and enclosed places.
>
> btw, i use version 5
>

> Am 05.12.2018 um 23:52 schrieb Paul Culley:
>> I cannot replicate your issue.  I pasted into the Place editor big box
>> (for lat/long) using the mouse right click and select paste.  Or with
>> ctrl-v.  Either way the separate Latitude and Longitude fields are
>> immediately updated.  When I close the dialog with 'Ok' it is properly
>> saved.
>>
>> Note that if you start an enclosed place edit, from another place, and
>> fill some fields, and then close the original dialog before closing
>> the second, your changes will be lost when the second is automatically
>> closed.  You have to close each dialog with 'Ok' in the reverse order
>> they were opened (last first).
>>
>> Paul C.
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 3:53 PM L.W. <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     I closed the window with ok.
>>

>>     Am 05.12.2018 um 22:29 schrieb Ron Johnson:
>>     > On 12/05/2018 02:28 PM, L.W. wrote:
>>     >> Hello,
>>     >>
>>     >> could someone please test the following?
>>     >>
>>     >> I copy and paste values for georeferencing, ie I have latitude and
>>     >> longitude in the format xxx, yyy copied and pasted by Ctrl + V or
>>     >> right mouse button in the large - designated - field.
>>     >>
>>     >> The values were also separated neatly and inserted into the fields
>>     >> latitude and longitude.
>>     >>
>>     >> Without further input on the keyboard, I have now closed the
>>     window.
>>     >> The values were not saved.
>>     >
>>     > Did you click on the "Close Window" button at the top of the
>>     window,
>>     > or did you click on the "Ok" button?
>>     >
>>     >> Now I have made in the large field one more press of a button
>>     (a sign
>>     >> and directly deleted again) - again, the values were not saved.
>>     >>
>>     >> Now I have tried the same with the character input in only one
>>     of the
>>     >> two coordinate fields. It was always saved only the value at
>>     which I
>>     >> changed one more character - say only after manual input.
>>     >>
>>     >> I hardly believe that this is a wanted behavior?
>>     >
>>     > There might be a bug, but it's almost certain that you're doing
>>     > something wrong.
>>     >

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

J. Allen Crider-2
I've checked every place added to my database since April 1st.  Every
place that was added after I switched to 5.0 was missing coordinates for
enclosing places that were added at the same time using the procedure I
previously described.  I have not found any such cases for places added
using 4.2.8.

Has anybody filed a bug report on this yet?

Allen Crider

On 12/5/18 5:14 PM, J. Allen Crider wrote:

> [...]
>>      >
>>      > Did you click on the "Close Window" button at the top of the
>> window,
>>      > or did you click on the "Ok" button?
>>      >
>>      >> Now I have made in the large field one more press of a button (a
>>     sign
>>      >> and directly deleted again) - again, the values were not saved.
>>      >>
>>      >> Now I have tried the same with the character input in only one
>>     of the
>>      >> two coordinate fields. It was always saved only the value at
>>     which I
>>      >> changed one more character - say only after manual input.
>>      >>
>>      >> I hardly believe that this is a wanted behavior?
>>      >
>>      > There might be a bug, but it's almost certain that you're doing

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

L.W.
i used the same format 55.xxx, 3.xxx

i didn't filled a bug report yet, for now i haven't the time to do so.

Am 06.12.2018 um 00:41 schrieb phil wharram:

> [...]
>>>     >
>>>     > Did you click on the "Close Window" button at the top of the
>>>     window,
>>>     > or did you click on the "Ok" button?
>>>     >
>>>     >> Now I have made in the large field one more press of a button
>>>     (a sign
>>>     >> and directly deleted again) - again, the values were not saved.
>>>     >>
>>>     >> Now I have tried the same with the character input in only one
>>>     of the
>>>     >> two coordinate fields. It was always saved only the value at
>>>     which I
>>>     >> changed one more character - say only after manual input.
>>>     >>
>>>     >> I hardly believe that this is a wanted behavior?
>>>     >
>>>     > There might be a bug, but it's almost certain that you're doing

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

Serge Noiraud-2
Le 06/12/2018 à 00:41, phil wharram via Gramps-users a écrit :
> Hi
>
> Running on UBuntu Mate and ver 5 Gramps
>
> Sucessfully copied and pasted 55.090666, -3.571150 into large box transferred to latitude and longitude boxes automatically and then cleared large box when OK was pressed, data retained on moving around in Gramps and on restart
>
> 55°05'26.4"N 3°34'16.1"W this format does not work

This is normal. The two fields must be separated by a coma :

55°05'26.4"N, 3°34'16.1"W works correctly

> Identical behaviour on Win10 Ver 5 Gramps
>

> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
> On 05/12/2018 23:07, L.W. wrote:
>> i know how to close the windows in the correct way, i have done this correct.
>>
>> i used single places and enclosed places.
>>
>> btw, i use version 5
>>

>> Am 05.12.2018 um 23:52 schrieb Paul Culley:
>>> I cannot replicate your issue.  I pasted into the Place editor big box (for lat/long) using the mouse right click and select paste.  Or with ctrl-v.  Either way the separate Latitude and Longitude fields are immediately updated.  When I close the dialog with 'Ok' it is properly saved.
>>>
>>> Note that if you start an enclosed place edit, from another place, and fill some fields, and then close the original dialog before closing the second, your changes will be lost when the second is automatically closed.  You have to close each dialog with 'Ok' in the reverse order they were opened (last first).
>>>
>>> Paul C.
>>>
>>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 3:53 PM L.W. <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     I closed the window with ok.
>>>

>>>     Am 05.12.2018 um 22:29 schrieb Ron Johnson:
>>>     > On 12/05/2018 02:28 PM, L.W. wrote:
>>>     >> Hello,
>>>     >>
>>>     >> could someone please test the following?
>>>     >>
>>>     >> I copy and paste values for georeferencing, ie I have latitude and
>>>     >> longitude in the format xxx, yyy copied and pasted by Ctrl + V or
>>>     >> right mouse button in the large - designated - field.
>>>     >>
>>>     >> The values were also separated neatly and inserted into the fields
>>>     >> latitude and longitude.
>>>     >>
>>>     >> Without further input on the keyboard, I have now closed the
>>>     window.
>>>     >> The values were not saved.
>>>     >
>>>     > Did you click on the "Close Window" button at the top of the
>>>     window,
>>>     > or did you click on the "Ok" button?
>>>     >
>>>     >> Now I have made in the large field one more press of a button
>>>     (a sign
>>>     >> and directly deleted again) - again, the values were not saved.
>>>     >>
>>>     >> Now I have tried the same with the character input in only one
>>>     of the
>>>     >> two coordinate fields. It was always saved only the value at
>>>     which I
>>>     >> changed one more character - say only after manual input.
>>>     >>
>>>     >> I hardly believe that this is a wanted behavior?
>>>     >
>>>     > There might be a bug, but it's almost certain that you're doing
>>>     > something wrong.
>>>     >

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi All

Perhaps should have mentioned the examples were copied and pasted as was
from Google Maps the point being to demonstrate one working and one not
using copy and paste only.
You are right if you copy, paste and insert the comma the information is
correctly trnaslated within the fields.

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 06/12/2018 08:29, Serge Noiraud wrote:

> Le 06/12/2018 à 00:41, phil wharram via Gramps-users a écrit :
>> Hi
>>
>> Running on UBuntu Mate and ver 5 Gramps
>>
>> Sucessfully copied and pasted 55.090666, -3.571150 into large box
>> transferred to latitude and longitude boxes automatically and then
>> cleared large box when OK was pressed, data retained on moving around
>> in Gramps and on restart
>>
>> 55°05'26.4"N 3°34'16.1"W this format does not work
>
> This is normal. The two fields must be separated by a coma :
>
> 55°05'26.4"N, 3°34'16.1"W works correctly
>

>> Identical behaviour on Win10 Ver 5 Gramps
>>

>> Regards
>> Phil
>> MLFHS 12583
>> Dumfries
>> On 05/12/2018 23:07, L.W. wrote:
>>> i know how to close the windows in the correct way, i have done this
>>> correct.
>>>
>>> i used single places and enclosed places.
>>>
>>> btw, i use version 5

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

Lionel Haslam
Hi,

I am running ver 5 on Win 10.
I see the same as Allen Crider. A place created by itself retains the coordinates, but if an enclosing place is created at the same time the enclosing place does not retain the coordinates.
If I edit from the Places dashboard the coordinates save OK. So the problem, to me, seems to be when simultaneously creating an enclosing place.

Lionel Haslam

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 3:53 PM L.W. <[hidden email] [hidden email]> wrote:

    I closed the window with ok.

    Am 05.12.2018 um 22:29 schrieb Ron Johnson:
    > On 12/05/2018 02:28 PM, L.W. wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> could someone please test the following?
    >>
    >> I copy and paste values for georeferencing, ie I have latitude and
    >> longitude in the format xxx, yyy copied and pasted by Ctrl + V or
    >> right mouse button in the large - designated - field.
    >>
    >> The values were also separated neatly and inserted into the fields
    >> latitude and longitude.
    >>
    >> Without further input on the keyboard, I have now closed the
    window.
    >> The values were not saved.
    >
    > Did you click on the "Close Window" button at the top of the
    window,
    > or did you click on the "Ok" button?
    >
    >> Now I have made in the large field one more press of a button
    (a sign
    >> and directly deleted again) - again, the values were not saved.
    >>
    >> Now I have tried the same with the character input in only one
    of the
    >> two coordinate fields. It was always saved only the value at
    which I
    >> changed one more character - say only after manual input.
    >>
    >> I hardly believe that this is a wanted behavior?
    >
    > There might be a bug, but it's almost certain that you're doing
    > something wrong.

On 06/12/2018 08:29, Serge Noiraud wrote:

Dumfries
MLFHS 12583
Phil
Regards

You are right if you copy, paste and insert the comma the information is correctly trnaslated within the fields.
Perhaps should have mentioned the examples were copied and pasted as was from Google Maps the point being to demonstrate one working and one not using copy and paste only.

Hi All

Re: Geo-Coordinates per C&P

prculley
Thanks for adding the additional information that it only occurs when making an enclosing place.  Which makes it a bug not on the Place Editor, but on the Place Reference Editor.  It turns out to be a known (and resolved) bug https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=10719Code Patch

We hope to have a new release of Gramps out by the holidays; this bug is one of the ones corrected in that release.

Paul C.