Geo Mapping - Do you Use it? How?

Chris411
This post was updated on .
This is a Question about the Geo mapping component of Genealogy working from Gramps.

I use Linux Mint 17 with Gramps 4.2.4,

How Can I show Ancestors on a map by region or country now?

How do you do it? What works for you?

Thanks.

Re: Geo Mapping - Do you Use it? How?

Peter Merchant
On 22/01/18 02:16, Chris411 wrote:

> This is a desperate post about the Geo mapping component of Genealogy.
>
> Previously as discussed I use Linux Mint 17 with Gramps 4.2.4,
>
> How Can I show Ancestors on a map by region or country now?
>
> How do you do it? What works for you?
>

> Thanks.
As I have seen the comments recently about this, I have had a look at it
again. I am on Kubuntu 16.04 with Gramps 4.2.6 and it 'just works'. I'll
have to look at Sam's links to see how I can see the places for more
than one person at a time, and have to go through my  places adding the
coordinates.  I like to see how people have moved around through time.

Somewhere recently there was a command line command to install all
gramps additions, but I can't put my finger on it.

And also I thank Sam for taking on the admin role.

Peter M.

On 01/21/2018 08:16 PM, Chris411 wrote:
> This is a desperate post about the Geo mapping component of Genealogy.
>
> Previously as discussed I use Linux Mint 17 with Gramps 4.2.4,
>
> How Can I show Ancestors on a map by region or country now?
>
> How do you do it? What works for you?

Dumb question: have you added latitude and longitude to all your places?

On 22/01/18 15:51, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 01/21/2018 08:16 PM, Chris411 wrote:
>> This is a desperate post about the Geo mapping component of Genealogy.
>>
>> Previously as discussed I use Linux Mint 17 with Gramps 4.2.4,
>>
>> How Can I show Ancestors on a map by region or country now?
>>
>> How do you do it? What works for you?
>
> Dumb question: have you added latitude and longitude to all your places?

I use https://www.latlong.net/ to get the lat and long. But do check the
results as I have found errors where it has got the wrong place.

Peter M.

Re: Geo Mapping - Do you Use it? How?

Chris411
Hi Peter

Yes there are a few good places for getting that info. Correct it does need
to be double checked as locations can duplicate and have other small
issues. I suppose that's just the way Mapping data is and keeping maps
updated?

Thanks.

Re: Geo Mapping - Do you Use it? How?

Chris411
Hi Ron

:) there are no dumb questions, just unknown details.

Yes I found one place I favour called "http://itouchmap.com/" maps that work
very well for Lat And Long references and so started to put that data in as
many as I could with Gramps.

Thanks.

Re: Geo Mapping - Do you Use it? How?

Chris411
Hello Peter.

Thanks for feedback.  I've used Kubuntu many years and seemed good, I just
settled better with Mint.
Originally Gramps had a way to present maps showing all locations where Lat
and Long have been keyed in. I've several with that info. At the last update
the left hand column  presented some changes and then I had the error
messages on startup about mapping needs to be fixed via gramps how to pages,
but couldn't find them.

Thought I too read somewhere that this was changing but can't remember in
what way because of software issues?

If then I'm learning to use the current version for mapping... where and
what are the steps?

Thanks.

Re: Geo Mapping - Do you Use it? How?

paul womack
Peter Merchant wrote:

> On 22/01/18 15:51, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 01/21/2018 08:16 PM, Chris411 wrote:
>>> This is a desperate post about the Geo mapping component of Genealogy.
>>>
>>> Previously as discussed I use Linux Mint 17 with Gramps 4.2.4,
>>>
>>> How Can I show Ancestors on a map by region or country now?
>>>
>>> How do you do it? What works for you?
>>
>> Dumb question: have you added latitude and longitude to all your places?
>>
> I use https://www.latlong.net/ to get the lat and long. But do check the
> results as I have found errors where it has got the wrong place.

When finding lat/long for roads in London that haven't existed
for 150 years, I use whatever I can get!!

  BugBear