Geocoding help

woody
I'm having trouble figuring out how to geocode my places using a file.  I've
looked at the guide for geocoding using the Place Completion Tool.  I've
downloaded individual state files from https://geonames.usgs.gov , but I
can't figure out how to use them to actually update the lat/lon in my
existing places.  It looks like the files from the geonames website need
some formatting, but I'm not sure what needs to be done.

Can somebody give me a walk through of how to do this?  Is there any other
approach to bulk geocoding?

Re: Geocoding help

Gary Griffin
Have you looked at the Place Completion  documentation
<https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Place_completion_tool>  ?

Are your places using the place hierarchy? If they are not, I dont know if
this works. I have City enclosed by County enclosed by State enclosed by
Country, for instance.

If you are using the GeoNames files, the steps I use (state-by-state) are
1) download the associated US state file from  GeoNames
<https://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/download_data.htm>
2) Unzip the file if needed. The file you use should not be .zip but .txt
3) Start the PlaceCompletion addon.
*Selection of the Places you want to complete*: I use a Place Filter: No
Latitude/Longitude given. I enter the name of the state in whatever syntax
you use (if not sure, filter your Places for type=State and you would use
that Name).
*Look up latitude and longitude*: Select the file you downloaded. Parse as:
GeoNames USA state file, city search.
*Conversion of existing title or position*: Convert lat/lon as: No lat/lon
conversion.

Click Find and you get the locations. Those with a down-arrow have a
suggested lat/lon that would be added.

Once you have the ones you want, click 'Apply', and the lat/lon are added to
the cities.

I hope that helps.