German download site

Nick Hall
Devs,

I have just received an email to let us know that Gramps has been
included on the German download site Chip Online.

http://www.chip.de/downloads/Gramps_105764449.html

The Mac and Linux links are broken, and they incorrectly state that
Gramps is only available in English.

Does anyone know anything about this site?

Re: German download site

enno
Nick,

Op 5-10-2017 om 14:18 schreef Nick Hall:
> I have just received an email to let us know that Gramps has been
> included on the German download site Chip Online.
>
> http://www.chip.de/downloads/Gramps_105764449.html
>
> The Mac and Linux links are broken, and they incorrectly state that
> Gramps is only available in English.
>
> Does anyone know anything about this site?
I started reading the German Chip Magazin in the early 80s, maybe even
earlier, when Dutch computer magazines were almost non existent. German
magazines have always sold well here, probably because the obvious
language similarities, and easy transport. There was a Dutch version
too, but that started much later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_(magazine)

Their comment about Gramps being English makes sense, because that's the
default in current installations, and when I test a new AIO, I often
forget to select Dutch myself too.

Can we correct this, please?

thanks,

Re: German download site

Nick Hall
On 05/10/17 13:59, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
I started reading the German Chip Magazin in the early 80s, maybe even earlier, when Dutch computer magazines were almost non existent. German magazines have always sold well here, probably because the obvious language similarities, and easy transport. There was a Dutch version too, but that started much later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_(magazine)

Thanks for the information.

Their comment about Gramps being English makes sense, because that's the default in current installations, and when I test a new AIO, I often forget to select Dutch myself too.

Can we correct this, please?

Yes.  I think we should fix this.  How does the AIO work at the moment?  Can we obtain the Windows locale in python?

Re: German download site

enno
Op 06-10-17 om 20:16 schreef Nick Hall:

> On 05/10/17 13:59, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>

>> Their comment about Gramps being English makes sense, because that's
>> the default in current installations, and when I test a new AIO, I
>> often forget to select Dutch myself too.
>>
>> Can we correct this, please?
>
> Yes.  I think we should fix this.  How does the AIO work at the
> moment?  Can we obtain the Windows locale in python?

I think that the old AIO installed all languages, and then let Gramps
figure out the locale, but the latest installer installs English only,
so that Gramps will fall back to English as usual. I assume that Josip
decided to install only English to save time, because Windows is quite
slow when you install a lot of small files.

I do remember that Josip invited others to change the installer so that
it reads the Windows locale, and I tried that, but failed, because I
couldn't find time to learn NSIS scripting. But I bet that if we change
it back to install all languages, Gramps will still read the locale, and
use the right language.

Re: German download site

Paul Franklin-5
>>> Their comment about Gramps being English makes sense, because that's
>>> the default in current installations, and when I test a new AIO, I
>>> often forget to select Dutch myself too.
>>>
>>> Can we correct this, please?
>>
>> Yes.  I think we should fix this.  How does the AIO work at the
>> moment?  Can we obtain the Windows locale in python?

Josip should be the one to comment on this, but I think he
installed the language-choice at AIO-installation time as part
of his work trying to make the installed gramps smaller.  I
guess Windows users had complained it was too big.

For people like me, who want all languages installed, it is
just a matter of checking all the boxes on that language-choice
dialog, when I install an AIO.  For "normal" users, they only
check one box (or two or three if they are multilingual).  ISTM
I have installed other Windows programs which had a
similar dialog, but I install one very rarely, not once a year.

If I had to guess, and I haven't looked at one of his modern
AIO packages so it's just a guess, but my guess is that it's
done (the language choice) at the NSIS stage, not later, when
gramps is installed.  But my guess is also that the NSIS
code is in the AIO, since that's what he's always done.  But
I don't think anybody (at the moment) but Josip knows how
to make an AIO, even starting with an old AIO.  But I could
be wrong. (It wouldn't be the first time.)  What I don't know,
since I have never had a Windows operating system whose
main/system language is not English, what I don't know is
whether the AIO installer then runs in that system language.
But that certainly would be my guess.  So if that is true I can
imagine that NSIS might have some variable for that "system"
language, which the NSIS script could then read.  But I am
only guessing.

Re: German download site

enno
Hello Paul,

> For "normal" users, they only check one box (or two or three if they
> are multilingual).
The 'problem' is that normal users don't check anything. They just click
the Forward or Next button until the program is installed, and that's
how they end up with English only. I install a lot of programs, so I
know that this mindless clicking is sort of routine.

> What I don't know, since I have never had a Windows operating system
> whose main/system language is not English, what I don't know is
> whether the AIO installer then runs in that system language. But that
> certainly would be my guess. So if that is true I can imagine that
> NSIS might have some variable for that "system" language, which the
> NSIS script could then read. But I am only guessing.
I'd say that your guess is right. NSIS is used all over the world, and
the installer can adapt to the local language. That can lead to quite
funny results, because programs like RootsMagic are English (American)
only, but come with an installer that adapts to my language.

Re: German download site

Paul Franklin-5
Since none of us (except Josip) know how to make an AIO
this is all academic, but if you are just curious:

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Detect_System_Language_Name

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=244530

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter1.html

Re: German download site

prculley
I got pretty close to making an AIO just prior to alpha3.  It would not have been the same as Josip is doing, because he is doing a lot of customization work of the various library routines and even the installation packagers.  So when I tried to run his scripts, I ran into a variety of issues.  I had nearly figured out how to overcome these when Josip released alpha3 (probably because I had asked him some questions).

I hope I won't HAVE to make an AIO, as I suspect that it will end up with a bunch of bugs that Josip has just dealt with on his own.

We should be glad that we have someone of Josip's expertise; else we would probably have a poorer Windows experience for Gramps, if we had Gramps on Windows at all.

And there is a bit of difference from getting his scripts to run, to understanding them well enough to add the kind of customization we are talking about.

Paul C.

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since none of us (except Josip) know how to make an AIO
this is all academic, but if you are just curious:

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Detect_System_Language_Name

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=244530

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter1.html

Re: German download site

Paul Franklin-5
> We should be glad that we have someone of Josip's expertise; else we would
> probably have a poorer Windows experience for Gramps, if we had Gramps on
> Windows at all.

I couldn't agree more, and have said so for years.

> And there is a bit of difference from getting his scripts to run, to
> understanding them well enough to add the kind of customization we are
> talking about.

You are preaching to the choir, in my case.