Getting Started with GRAMPS

Greg Lamberson
Hi,

As some of you know, I have worked with genealogical data models and related topics for some time. Lately I have decided to start putting my own ideas into practice by developing actual test scenarios and, eventually, completely different genealogical database structures, using GRAMPS.

To do this, I am following my usual "eat my own cooking" method, which means I have started researching a completely unfamiliar family from scratch and entering information as I find it using GRAMPS. What I am currently experiencing is quite a bit of frustration in using the interface. I simply don't get it. I've read some documentation, but what I need to know is basic stuff: How do I get a new source record like a census household or information from a basic marriage record or birth record or whatever and actually enter it faithfully? Please keep in mind that I understand the technical aspects of what I'm doing very well, but the usability/workflow is completely unclear to me. Well, it's not completely unclear. I just seem to be doing a great deal of redundant clicking and moving back and forth between different views when I want to enter basic information. I'm sure you guys know how to use the program efficiently, and I need this information, not a breakdown of features or anything like that.

What would be extremely helpful is to see a youtube video of starting off entering the sort of information I have mentioned (ideally) or even steps by which this can be accomplished efficiently and effectively with a high degree of precision and attention to the details of the source information. I've searched youtube but haven't seen anything that really addresses this basic usability/workflow issue.

I'm probably just used to something else, but I've been experimenting and would at this point just really appreciate someone showing how THEY do it.

Help please?

Thanks in advance,

Greg Lamberson

Re: Getting Started with GRAMPS

Richard Taylor-2
Hi Greg

I know what you mean about repeated clicking about when entering
something like a Census record.

Some video tutorials would be a great thing, I might take a look at that
when I get some spare time. ShowMeDo has nothing on Gramps yet and that
is a real shame.

I would draw your attention to:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recording_UK_Census_data
if you have not read it already. It was written for an older version of
Gramps but the workflow it presents shows how to use the clipboard
feature (it was called ScratchPad in the past) to cut down on the number
of times you need to click about. It also shows how Gramps supports drag
and drop in many parts of the interface. I wrote this document after I
had spent many hours entering Census information and it captures the
workflow that I had developed.

For Census records in particular you should look at the Census plugin:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Census_Addons this
can do a lot of the work for you.

Best of luck. May be you could record a ShowMeDo video when you have
worked out your own workflow?

Regards

Richard