Given names and normally used names [revisited]

Given names and normally used names [revisited]

Stefan Björk
Hello again,

This is an old issue that has been brought to life again. In some way, I
would like to be able to specify which of the GivenNames that is
normally used. In Sweden (and probably in other countries as well) this
name has a special status among the given names, and we even have a word
for it ('tilltalsnamn', 'till' = 'to, directed to', 'tal' = 'speak,
speech').

So, one of the GivenNames has a special meaning. This is not the same as
a NickName, but I currently specify the 'tilltalsnamn' as a NickName,
resulting in funny names like 'Bo Erik Stefan "Stefan" Björk'.

> In the near future, we are going to start reworking the reports. At this
> time, we will probably give you better control over how names will be
> handled in the reports. We will probably give you the option of:
>
> 1) Formal name : Bo Erik Stefan Björk  (GivenName FamilyName)
> 2) Common name : Stefan Björk (NickName FamilyName)

Unfortunately, this does not cover my (and most swedish geneaologists)
needs. The ideal solution would be something like:

1. Use a new field, CommonlyUsedName ('Tilltalsnamn'), OR make it
possible to mark some of the names in the GivenName field, for example
with an asterisk after the name ('Bo Erik Stefan*'). This is sometimes
used in print.

2. In reports, use all given names, with the 'tilltalsnamn' marked
either with typography (bold, italic, etc) or an asterisk. In the text
body, however, use 'tilltalsnamn' only (the attached file illustrates this).

Of course, there could be other solutions.

Stefan

tilltalsnamn.pdf (21K) Download Attachment

Re: Given names and normally used names [revisited]

Martin Hawlisch
Hi,

this "feature" also exists in germany. On birth one can get multiple
firstnames and out of these in many cases one is choosen as "Rufname", whis
id the firstname that is commonly used. For example my great-grandmother has
the names "Anna Louise Clara", but she only used the firstname "Clara". In
official documents it is common practice to underline that name.

Some german genealogy apps try to handle that by providing a list input for
firstnames where the "Rufname" is marked. They defined that in a gedcom
extension available here:
http://en.wiki.genealogy.net/index.php/Gedcom_5.5EL#Names_of_a_Person

Cheers, Martin.

> This is an old issue that has been brought to life again. In some way, I
> would like to be able to specify which of the GivenNames that is
> normally used. In Sweden (and probably in other countries as well) this
> name has a special status among the given names, and we even have a word
> for it ('tilltalsnamn', 'till' = 'to, directed to', 'tal' = 'speak,
> speech').
>
> So, one of the GivenNames has a special meaning. This is not the same as
> a NickName, but I currently specify the 'tilltalsnamn' as a NickName,
> resulting in funny names like 'Bo Erik Stefan "Stefan" Björk'.
>
> > In the near future, we are going to start reworking the reports. At this
> > time, we will probably give you better control over how names will be
> > handled in the reports. We will probably give you the option of:
> >
> > 1) Formal name : Bo Erik Stefan Björk  (GivenName FamilyName)
> > 2) Common name : Stefan Björk (NickName FamilyName)
>
> Unfortunately, this does not cover my (and most swedish geneaologists)
> needs. The ideal solution would be something like:
>
> 1. Use a new field, CommonlyUsedName ('Tilltalsnamn'), OR make it
> possible to mark some of the names in the GivenName field, for example
> with an asterisk after the name ('Bo Erik Stefan*'). This is sometimes
> used in print.
>
> 2. In reports, use all given names, with the 'tilltalsnamn' marked
> either with typography (bold, italic, etc) or an asterisk. In the text
> body, however, use 'tilltalsnamn' only (the attached file illustrates
> this).
>
> Of course, there could be other solutions.
>
> Stefan

Re: Given names and normally used names [revisited]

Eero Tamminen
Hi,

On Friday 07 October 2005 15:05, Martin Hawlisch wrote:
> this "feature" also exists in germany.

This feature exists also in Finland.

        - Eero

Re: Given names and normally used names [revisited]

Duncan Lithgow
Eero Tamminen wrote:
> This feature exists also in Finland.
And in Denmark

I think this would be the equivalent of the english 'prefered name'
which may or may not come from part of the persons name.

Robert Lithgow
PreferedName: Bob

Andreas Johannes Due
PreferedName: Johannes

I we need to give it a name - that's what I would suggest it is in english.

Duncan