Global Name Change

Brian Voss-2
I have used the Capital Names tool to correct an imported database, then
made further changes, then realized some of the capital surnames were
not correctly selected. For example, I had MACDONALD changed to
Macdonald when it should have been MacDonald.

Is there a way I can globally change the surname Macdonald to MacDonald?
I have 100s of names to do if they have to be done one at a time. Too
many Scots relatives!

--
Brian:-)

Re: Global Name Change

Benny Malengier
2010/1/13 Brian Voss <[hidden email]>:
> I have used the Capital Names tool to correct an imported database, then
> made further changes, then realized some of the capital surnames were
> not correctly selected. For example, I had MACDONALD changed to
> Macdonald when it should have been MacDonald.
>
> Is there a way I can globally change the surname Macdonald to MacDonald?
> I have 100s of names to do if they have to be done one at a time. Too
> many Scots relatives!

There is not in Gramps I think, but you can do it nevertheless easily.
1/export to .gramps the entire familytree
2/extract the text file in the .gramps file which is a zip file (so
open in ark, fileroller or 7-zip)
3/open that text file in gedit/kate/wordpad
4/Search and replace the name
5/save
6/create in Gramps a new family tree and import your saved file. Do
not import the file in your previous family tree, it must be an empty
new one. Gramps does not handle merge on import at the moment!