Google maps integration - selection algorithm?

Google maps integration - selection algorithm?

Stefan Björk
I don't understand how the Google maps interface works. If I hadd
longitude and latitude, Gramps still uses the name to lookup on Google.

Stefan

Re: Google maps integration - selection algorithm?

bm-7
Can you give your lat and lon with which you try?

Gramps must understand what you type to convert it to the format google use
s.
What you have would be eg because you use lat lon in a way gramps does not
recognize it.

What should works:
1/Pure decimal lat/lon eg 10.2
2/ancient notation with ' and ", and E/W N/S at the end. You can use '' for
 "
3/hour notation -10:45:10

Benny

Quoting Stefan Björk <[hidden email]>:

> I don't understand how the Google maps interface works. If I hadd
> longitude and latitude, Gramps still uses the name to lookup on Google.
>
> Stefan

Re: Google maps integration - selection algorithm?

Stefan Björk
This works:

Lat: 58°34'0" N
Long: 16°34'59" E

This does not work:

Lat: 63°47'60" N
Long: 20°11'60" E

... and I just realized that those coordinates are wrong; it's the same
as 63°48'00" N and 20°12'59" E. And it is, by the way, near the village
of Röbäck, where I live.

Sorry for bothering you.

Stefan

Re: Google maps integration - selection algorithm?

bm-7
Yes, second 60 officially does not exist.
It might be usefull to add to the lat/lon the red coloring as on date if it
 is
not recognized by GRAMPS as a correct lat/lon. Feel free to add a feature
request for that.

Note that google does work with 60, but I implemented it a bit more strict
as
other tools might not allow it.

Benny

Quoting Stefan Björk <[hidden email]>:

> This works:
>
> Lat: 58°34'0" N
> Long: 16°34'59" E
>
> This does not work:
>
> Lat: 63°47'60" N
> Long: 20°11'60" E
>
> ... and I just realized that those coordinates are wrong; it's the same
> as 63°48'00" N and 20°12'59" E. And it is, by the way, near the villa
ge
> of Röbäck, where I live.
>
> Sorry for bothering you.
>
> Stefan

Re: Google maps integration - selection algorithm?

zsolt foldvari-2
Benny,

> It might be usefull to add to the lat/lon the red coloring as on date if it
> is not recognized by GRAMPS as a correct lat/lon. Feel free to add a
> feature request for that.

It is now in rev. 8293 in 2.3 branch without a feature request ;-)

Please let me know if it works correctly. Also another idea for the
tooltip of the validation error icon is welcome.

Zsolt

Re: Google maps integration - selection algorithm?

bm-7
Zsolt,

this looks great!

Small remarks:
* on my screen (KDE) the tooltip appears like 4cm under the coordinate
box. This
looks very strange
* tooltip 'Wrong coordinate', perhaps: 'Invalid latitude (syntax: 18°
9'48.21"S, -18.2412 or -18:9:48.21)', and with longitude: 'Invalid longitud
(syntax: 18° 9'48.21"E, -18.2412 or -18:9:48.21)'

Benny.