Gprime?

Michel Vuijlsteke

Does anyone know what happened?

https://github.com/GenealogyCollective/gprime

"Gprime will be different from Gramps. It will use a SQL database backend, and will use different technologies going forward. What used to be called "gramps-connect" (a server-based program) will be developed under gprime. First release of gprime will probably be in Nov 2016."

Michel

Re: Gprime?

Nick Hall
On 19/10/16 09:22, Michel Vuijlsteke wrote:

Does anyone know what happened?

https://github.com/GenealogyCollective/gprime

"Gprime will be different from Gramps. It will use a SQL database backend, and will use different technologies going forward. What used to be called "gramps-connect" (a server-based program) will be developed under gprime. First release of gprime will probably be in Nov 2016."

Yes.

Doug Blank sent me a copy of a private email to Brian and Benny on 15th Sept.  In it he said that he was unhappy with the leadership of Gramps, and proposed that he either took over control as a benevolent dictator or created his own fork.

After some off-list discussion, Benny asked me to remove Doug as an owner on GitHub.  Doug responded by saying that he would continue to work on 5.0 separately from us.  I was waiting for Doug to make an announcement on this list before commenting.

The future of Gramps-Connect is now uncertain.  We no longer have any developers working on it.  However, if there is a web developer out there that would like to continue work on this, then I am willing to help.

Re: Gprime?

DS Blank
On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 19/10/16 09:22, Michel Vuijlsteke wrote:

Does anyone know what happened?

https://github.com/GenealogyCollective/gprime

"Gprime will be different from Gramps. It will use a SQL database backend, and will use different technologies going forward. What used to be called "gramps-connect" (a server-based program) will be developed under gprime. First release of gprime will probably be in Nov 2016."

Yes.

Doug Blank sent me a copy of a private email to Brian and Benny on 15th Sept.  In it he said that he was unhappy with the leadership of Gramps, and proposed that he either took over control as a benevolent dictator or created his own fork.

That is not quite what I said. But in the end, Nick and I have two different visions for Gramps. Attempting to compromise between them was resulting in confusion and a weakened project, in my opinion.

After some off-list discussion, Benny asked me to remove Doug as an owner on GitHub.  Doug responded by saying that he would continue to work on 5.0 separately from us.  I was waiting for Doug to make an announcement on this list before commenting.

I'll let Benny speak for himself on that point. But, yes, Nick removed me, and that ended the discussion about how to resolve the issue.

The future of Gramps-Connect is now uncertain.  We no longer have any developers working on it.  However, if there is a web developer out there that would like to continue work on this, then I am willing to help.

The future of gramps-connect is not uncertain. I will continue to develop it (under a new name), and promise to make it complete by July 2017. It is one of my main goals.

I'll make a single announcement here and on gramps-users when ready. For now, if you want to find out more about the new project that will be based on Gramps, please use:

I wish the Gramps project the best of luck! But there will be some friendly competition, and a new vision.

-Doug