Gramplets for the Web?

Douglas S. Blank
Developers, especially those interested in GRAMPS on the web,

I have a simple little hack that allows Gramplets to output their data to
a file in HTML. Do you think that this would be useful?

I suspect that an easy use would include links on each person's Narrated
webpage that would point to the associated gramplet page. A more advanced
use might actually embed the gramplets into little frames on the person's
page, and look more like Google Gadgets, or other desklets.

In any event, to generate the pages, you'd have to go through each person
and run the gramplet, which could take a while. (This will be moot once we
get gtk separated from the opening and processing of the database; then we
can generate these live.)

Let me know... my web-fu skills are weak especially with css, embedding, etc.

-Doug

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

robhealey1
Dear Doug:

I do not know how busy Jason Simanek is currently, but he would be the man to talk to about web output and css stuff.  He is the master afterall!!!

I think it would be a great thing...

+1
Rob

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Douglas S. Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Brian Matherly
Doug,

> In any event, to generate the pages, you'd have to go
> through each person
> and run the gramplet, which could take a while. (This will
> be moot once we
> get gtk separated from the opening and processing of the
> database; then we
> can generate these live.)

I wouldn't find this useful at all. When I generate a web report, I'm not going to go to each person in the database and generate an HTML file and then somehow integrate it into my NavWeb report.

If seems to me that if there is any information that a Gramplet can give me that is worth seeing in the NavWeb report, then it is worth the effort to add that information to the report properly.

~Brian

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

Douglas S. Blank
> Doug,
>
>> In any event, to generate the pages, you'd have to go
>> through each person
>> and run the gramplet, which could take a while. (This will
>> be moot once we
>> get gtk separated from the opening and processing of the
>> database; then we
>> can generate these live.)
>
> I wouldn't find this useful at all. When I generate a web report, I'm not
> going to go to each person in the database and generate an HTML file and
> then somehow integrate it into my NavWeb report.

Yeah, I wouldn't find THAT useful either :) I rather meant that, if the
web group was interested, there could be a system that generated a
gramplet (or set of gramplets) for each person that would either appear on
their page, or would be linked to on their page.

> If seems to me that if there is any information that a Gramplet can give
> me that is worth seeing in the NavWeb report, then it is worth the effort
> to add that information to the report properly.

Yes, I guess I was thinking about how to treat the gramplets as a little
report that would get run for each person, and hung off their page.

I haven't used the web generated stuff much yet, but have the need now,
and have been exploring GRAMPS's functionality.

It seems having pre-generated reports for each person would be useful...
do we have anything like that?

-Doug

> ~Brian

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

Jason Simanek-2
On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 10:00 -0500, Douglas S. Blank wrote:
> if the
> web group was interested, there could be a system that generated a
> gramplet (or set of gramplets) for each person that would either appear on
> their page, or would be linked to on their page.

> > If seems to me that if there is any information that a Gramplet can give
> > me that is worth seeing in the NavWeb report, then it is worth the effort
> > to add that information to the report properly.

Brian is making a good point. Additional information could just be added
to the webpages directly.

Doug, could you give us an example of the type of information that would
be displayed in the web gramplet?

I could see the gramplet providing general statistics about a
genealogical website in a sidebar that is present on every page. I think
you mentioned that it would be like a 'sidebar widget' that is common on
many database-driven websites. The only problem with attempting to mimic
that construct is that our Narrative Web output is static HTML. Much of
the usefulness of the sidebar widgets is derived from their dynamic
nature and ability to present contextual information related to that
which is displayed in the primary column of the site.

If/when we have created the GRAMPSweb product (a dynamic website content
management system based on PHP and MySQL) this gramplet concept could
become very important. ;)

-Jason Simanek

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

Brian Matherly
Doug,

> > I wouldn't find this useful at all. When I
> generate a web report, I'm not
> > going to go to each person in the database and
> generate an HTML file and
> > then somehow integrate it into my NavWeb report.
>
> Yeah, I wouldn't find THAT useful either :) I rather
> meant that, if the
> web group was interested, there could be a system that
> generated a
> gramplet (or set of gramplets) for each person that would
> either appear on
> their page, or would be linked to on their page.
>
> > If seems to me that if there is any information that a
> Gramplet can give
> > me that is worth seeing in the NavWeb report, then it
> is worth the effort
> > to add that information to the report properly.
>
> Yes, I guess I was thinking about how to treat the
> gramplets as a little
> report that would get run for each person, and hung off
> their page.

I think you might be muddying up the concept of Gramplets if you do that. Gramplets should be a small, graphical representation of information in the Gramps User Interface. Nothing more. If you need some similar information in reports or exports, or tools, then you should properly implement that feature where you need it. You should not just stir everything into to the Gramplet implementation because a Gramplet already has some information that is similar to what you want.

> I haven't used the web generated stuff much yet, but
> have the need now,
> and have been exploring GRAMPS's functionality.
>
> It seems having pre-generated reports for each person would
> be useful...
> do we have anything like that?

I don't know what you mean by "pre-generated". We have reports for people like the "Complete Individual Report". And we have information about each person in the web report (each one has their own page).

~Brian

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

Douglas S. Blank
> On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 10:00 -0500, Douglas S. Blank wrote:
>> if the
>> web group was interested, there could be a system that generated a
>> gramplet (or set of gramplets) for each person that would either appear
>> on
>> their page, or would be linked to on their page.
>
>> > If seems to me that if there is any information that a Gramplet can
>> give
>> > me that is worth seeing in the NavWeb report, then it is worth the
>> effort
>> > to add that information to the report properly.
>
> Brian is making a good point. Additional information could just be added
> to the webpages directly.

I guess that was what I was thinking. But instead of just including them
all, I was thinking of being able to pick which little Weblets to include.

> Doug, could you give us an example of the type of information that would
> be displayed in the web gramplet?

Oh, maybe the Pedigree Gramplet, which can go back as many generations as
you want. Or maybe the Surname Cloud Gramplet, or any of the non-data
input ones, really.

> I could see the gramplet providing general statistics about a
> genealogical website in a sidebar that is present on every page. I think
> you mentioned that it would be like a 'sidebar widget' that is common on
> many database-driven websites. The only problem with attempting to mimic
> that construct is that our Narrative Web output is static HTML. Much of
> the usefulness of the sidebar widgets is derived from their dynamic
> nature and ability to present contextual information related to that
> which is displayed in the primary column of the site.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned that you'd have to pre-generate each person's
Gramplets/Weblets.

> If/when we have created the GRAMPSweb product (a dynamic website content
> management system based on PHP and MySQL) this gramplet concept could
> become very important. ;)

PHP? Bah :) It wouldn't be hard to convert the static HTML designs with
GRAMPS's Python base (with BSDDB or some other SQL backend) to create a
live GRAMPS site. We just need a few more abstractions in place...

No offence to Phpgedview, but I think a GRAMPS web interface would be a
lovely thing. I'd love a Mainz live site.

-Doug

> -Jason Simanek

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

Jason Simanek-2
On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 14:36 -0500, Douglas S. Blank wrote:
> > Doug, could you give us an example of the type of information that would
> > be displayed in the web gramplet?
>
> Oh, maybe the Pedigree Gramplet, which can go back as many generations as
> you want. Or maybe the Surname Cloud Gramplet, or any of the non-data
> input ones, really.

I could see the Surname Cloud, but that would only be a single gramplet
for the whole site. As for the Pedigree Gramplet, how would that add to
the pedigree chart and ancestor tree already included on each
individual's web page?

> > Much of
> > the usefulness of the sidebar widgets is derived from their dynamic
> > nature and ability to present contextual information related to that
> > which is displayed in the primary column of the site.
>
> Yeah, that's why I mentioned that you'd have to pre-generate each person's
> Gramplets/Weblets.

Right, but as I asked above, what additional information did you have in
mind and how would it relate to the large amount of information already
output in Narrative Web?

> PHP? Bah :) It wouldn't be hard to convert the static HTML designs with
> GRAMPS's Python base (with BSDDB or some other SQL backend) to create a
> live GRAMPS site. We just need a few more abstractions in place...

I only recommend PHP because it's what I know best between the two.
Also, I would want this potential GRAMPSweb CMS to be as easy to install
and broadly supported by popular web hosts as possible. If it were
Python-based I wouldn't be able to run it on my current host. [just
checked: Apparently my 1&1 Linux shared hosting DOES provide Python! So,
I guess that's an option after all. ;) but still, PHP is easier to
approach as a web-guy.]

> No offence to Phpgedview, but I think a GRAMPS web interface would be a
> lovely thing. I'd love a Mainz live site.

Yeah, PHPgedview and the others have horrible user interfaces and are
generally ugly. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks my designs for
GRAMPS are better than those! ;)

In general though, I was a genealogical research layman two years ago
and the GRAMPS ui was very intuitive and it's only been improved since.
>From what I can see it would be possible to reconstruct most of the
GRAMPS ui with HTML, CSS and a dash of JavaScript.

-Jason Simanek

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

Ken B.

Jason Simanek wrote:
On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 14:36 -0500, Douglas S. Blank wrote:

Doug, could you give us an example of the type of information that would
be displayed in the web gramplet?

Oh, maybe the Pedigree Gramplet, which can go back as many generations as
you want. Or maybe the Surname Cloud Gramplet, or any of the non-data
input ones, really.

I could see the Surname Cloud, but that would only be a single gramplet
for the whole site. As for the Pedigree Gramplet, how would that add to
the pedigree chart and ancestor tree already included on each
individual's web page?

As a user with arthritis I personally would find it more useful than having to scroll up or down the page to find a link.

Ken.

Much of
the usefulness of the sidebar widgets is derived from their dynamic
nature and ability to present contextual information related to that
which is displayed in the primary column of the site.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned that you'd have to pre-generate each person's
Gramplets/Weblets.

Right, but as I asked above, what additional information did you have in
mind and how would it relate to the large amount of information already
output in Narrative Web?

PHP? Bah :) It wouldn't be hard to convert the static HTML designs with
GRAMPS's Python base (with BSDDB or some other SQL backend) to create a
live GRAMPS site. We just need a few more abstractions in place...

I only recommend PHP because it's what I know best between the two.
Also, I would want this potential GRAMPSweb CMS to be as easy to install
and broadly supported by popular web hosts as possible. If it were
Python-based I wouldn't be able to run it on my current host. [just
checked: Apparently my 1&1 Linux shared hosting DOES provide Python! So,
I guess that's an option after all. ;) but still, PHP is easier to
approach as a web-guy.]

No offence to Phpgedview, but I think a GRAMPS web interface would be a
lovely thing. I'd love a Mainz live site.

Yeah, PHPgedview and the others have horrible user interfaces and are
generally ugly. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks my designs for
GRAMPS are better than those! ;)

In general though, I was a genealogical research layman two years ago
and the GRAMPS ui was very intuitive and it's only been improved since.
>From what I can see it would be possible to reconstruct most of the
GRAMPS ui with HTML, CSS and a dash of JavaScript.

-Jason Simanek

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

2009/1/11 Brian Matherly <[hidden email]>
Doug,

> In any event, to generate the pages, you'd have to go
> through each person
> and run the gramplet, which could take a while. (This will
> be moot once we
> get gtk separated from the opening and processing of the
> database; then we
> can generate these live.)

I wouldn't find this useful at all. When I generate a web report, I'm not going to go to each person in the database and generate an HTML file and then somehow integrate it into my NavWeb report.

If seems to me that if there is any information that a Gramplet can give me that is worth seeing in the NavWeb report, then it is worth the effort to add that information to the report properly.

I would like to add that if there is something a gramplet does that would be usefull in a web report, then it makes sense to make a utility function that both use, instead of calling pieces of the gramplet in the web report. Presentation of the data will be different anyway (gtk versus html).

However, some other points:

1. I would be interested in adding a plasma applet to my KDE desktop with genea information (like records). There are python bindings and it can show html. This would be a separate project though reusing parts of GRAMPS. So please, submit a patch set to the bug tracker as proof of concept, it can be usefull.

2. Your use of terminoligy: 'Can be easily hacked in' is not a good choice of words :-) It gives the impression we can do something quick without much thought because we can and because it is cool. I can image that in the future it might be interesting to change the gramplet code to show html pages opening a lot of possibilities over using cairo/gtk (css, pictures, ...). GeoView/HtmlView shows this approach to be doable today, and this will only get much, much better the coming years. So html presentation of gramplets can be usefull when things move this direction, but it must be carefully done so as to be beautifull code (as we inherited from Don and Alex).

Benny

PS: Don't take this as personal critic Doug, but in the more recent code, I find that too little doc strings are written with the new functions. We really should all keep doing that.

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

Jason Simanek-2
On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 19:47 +1300, Ken B wrote:

> Jason Simanek wrote:
> > > >
> > > Oh, maybe the Pedigree Gramplet, which can go back as many generations as
> > > you want. Or maybe the Surname Cloud Gramplet, or any of the non-data
> > > input ones, really.
> >
> > I could see the Surname Cloud, but that would only be a single gramplet
> > for the whole site. As for the Pedigree Gramplet, how would that add to
> > the pedigree chart and ancestor tree already included on each
> > individual's web page?
> >
> As a user with arthritis I personally would find it more useful than having
> to scroll up or down the page to find a link.

I'm not sure how a web-gramplet would assist your arthritis. Is it the
idea that the pedigree chart/surname cloud would be displayed in the
web-gramplet closer to the top of the page? Would a layout adjustment
for the Narrative Web report be helpful?

FYI: This might help if scrolling long web pages in general is painful.
Most web browsers can search within a web page and allow you to skip
from each instance of the text you searched for with the click of a
button. In Firefox this 'find' toolbar can be summoned to the bottom of
the display window with the shortcut 'Ctrl+F'. In case you didn't know.
This is a feature I use often to get down to my own surname on the
Surname page of the Narrative Web output. ;)

-Jason Simanek

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

Ken B.

Jason Simanek wrote:

[...]

Hi Jason,
Yes, the pedigree chart/surname cloud would be a way to go in my opinion. Ideally I would see it as a
small side bar that is independent of the page that holds it's position on the screen, or
is able to pop up by moving the cursor to the side of the page.
Although the current web pages look great, as Douglas said especially the Mainz. The difficulty is that
the links to people are not always visible, and scrolling to a link is the hard part, particularly when
then are a lots of events and sources. Could the sources be moved to the bottom of the page ?
FYI: This might help if scrolling long web pages in general is painful.
Most web browsers can search within a web page and allow you to skip
from each instance of the text you searched for with the click of a
button. In Firefox this 'find' toolbar can be summoned to the bottom of
the display window with the shortcut 'Ctrl+F'. In case you didn't know.
This is a feature I use often to get down to my own surname on the
Surname page of the Narrative Web output. ;)

Yes, I do use the 'find' toolbar in Firefox. It is useful at times.
Ken Benseman
-Jason Simanek

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

Jason Simanek-2
On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 19:09 +1300, Ken B wrote:

> Jason Simanek wrote:
> > I'm not sure how a web-gramplet would assist your arthritis. Is it
> > the idea that the pedigree chart/surname cloud would be displayed in
> > the web-gramplet closer to the top of the page? Would a layout
> > adjustment for the Narrative Web report be helpful?
> >
> Yes, the pedigree chart/surname cloud would be a way to go in my
> opinion. Ideally I would see it as a small side bar that is
> independent of the page that holds it's position on the screen, or is
> able to pop up by moving the cursor to the side of the page.

I could use some CSS magic to make a non-window-pop-up that could be
summoned by hovering over a small button/icon. As long as any essential
information is still listed on the page.

> Although the current web pages look great, as Douglas said especially
> the Mainz. The difficulty is that the links to people are not always
> visible, and scrolling to a link is the hard part, particularly when
> then are a lots of events and sources. Could the sources be moved to
> the bottom of the page ?

When you say that the links to people aren't 'always visible' are you
saying that they can't be seen or that they don't exist 'above the fold'
and so you have to scroll further down the page to see them?

I could see moving the sources to the very bottom. That makes sense and
would be a simple update. I'm all for optimizing the use of space on
these designs, but I also need to be careful so as not destroy and
forward motion that we've made over the last year and a half.

I do think the suggested web-gramplets could easily be incorporated as
the subtle pop-up described above. Maybe another improvement would be to
have a drop-down menu for 'Surnames' in the main navigation.

-Jason Simanek

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

2009/1/13 Ken B <[hidden email]>

As a user with arthritis I personally would find it more useful than having
to scroll up or down the page to find a link.

Ken,

there is a lot of info to show, some scrolling will always be needed. Even if there is a pedigree popup, then that might also not fit the window,  ...
You should research other options if scrolling is difficult for you. Go here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=drag-scrol&cat=all

and choose the grab and drag extension.
Install, restart firefox, choose 3 button mouse (if you have that), and in the configuration use 'momentum enabled'.
Now you can scroll by clicking the middle button and moving just your mouse up or down.

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

gramps.lists.sourceforge.net
I am sorry for the delay in reply,

I wonder if the following could be considered;

At the top of the surname page could there be an alphabet that links to
each respective letter in the list below? this would reduce much
scrolling down the page.
example
Have tho page as it is now but with
A |B |C |D |E |F |G |H |I |J |K |L |M |N |O |P |Q |R |S |T |U |V |W |X |
                                  Y |Z
at the top

Second
I would like to see a page able to be generated for the home person that
gives their complete pedigree with each name linking to their individual
pages. This would be like the pedigree gramplet. I would think this only
need be done for the home person and it should be optional. This means
you can create more personal trees for living family members and burn
them to CD.

Another
Ability to add additional pages to the narrative web would be good. i.e.
if you state the page title and name you would like in the tab, then you
can either link to a note like the introduction page or edit that one
page once generated. At least then the links to it have been made on all
the other pages.

Any thoughts?

Adrian

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 10:09 +0000, Adrian wrote:
> At the top of the surname page could there be an alphabet that links to
> each respective letter in the list below? this would reduce much
> scrolling down the page.
> example
> Have tho page as it is now but with
> A |B |C |D |E |F |G |H |I |J |K |L |M |N |O |P |Q |R |S |T |U |V |W |X |
>                                   Y |Z
> at the top

This would be easily done and I think is a good suggestion.

> Second
> I would like to see a page able to be generated for the home person that
> gives their complete pedigree with each name linking to their individual
> pages. This would be like the pedigree gramplet. I would think this only
> need be done for the home person and it should be optional. This means
> you can create more personal trees for living family members and burn
> them to CD.

I don't know... isn't this a duplication of what one of the other
plugins generate, except intended for print/pdf/odf?

> Ability to add additional pages to the narrative web would be good. i.e.
> if you state the page title and name you would like in the tab, then you
> can either link to a note like the introduction page or edit that one
> page once generated. At least then the links to it have been made on all
> the other pages.

I'd be curious to hear the other developers' opinions on that.
Technically, I think it would be simple: Just specify a page name and
the plugin adds another 'tab' to each page with a hyperlink to
'page-name.html' in the root folder.

Thanks for these suggestions. Let's see if any other devs chime in.
Otherwise, you should post the first and third suggestions on bug
tracker as feature requests.

-Jason Simanek

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

gramps.lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Jason and all,

Thank you for the response, I am not sure if I replied to you earlier or
not (one of those days!)

I have made a mock up of two of these suggestions but I will leave them
on only for a couple of days, I'll make screenshots if need be.

First here is a trial of the surname navigation. I have placed all
letters of the alphabet but maybe only the actual ones present  should
be shown. This nav block is even more needed on the Individuals web page
as it is far longer. Oh note the ?S glitch that the report produced.

http://www.adrian-rea.com/un4/surnames.html

Second is the Home person's complete ancestral tree. Each individual has
up to 4 generations of ancestors on their respective pages, but this
celebrates the person in the top right corner to whom the site is
dedicated. It also gives us as researchers a more navigable view of our
research. This is only meant to be done once for the home person.
However, if additional pages could be added on site creation, then
additional ancestral trees could be added with a little cut and pasting.

http://www.adrian-rea.com/un4/index.html

This is under the home tab but it could have its own tab. If we could
find a similarly compact descendant report, that too could be beneficial

Hope this helps, and I will file them as requests now :)

Adrian
On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 10:09 +0000, Adrian wrote:
> At the top of the surname page could there be an alphabet that links to
> each respective letter in the list below? this would reduce much
> scrolling down the page.
> example
> Have tho page as it is now but with
> A |B |C |D |E |F |G |H |I |J |K |L |M |N |O |P |Q |R |S |T |U |V |W |X |
>                                   Y |Z
> at the top

This would be easily done and I think is a good suggestion.

> Second
> I would like to see a page able to be generated for the home person that
> gives their complete pedigree with each name linking to their individual
> pages. This would be like the pedigree gramplet. I would think this only
> need be done for the home person and it should be optional. This means
> you can create more personal trees for living family members and burn
> them to CD.

I don't know... isn't this a duplication of what one of the other
plugins generate, except intended for print/pdf/odf?

> Ability to add additional pages to the narrative web would be good. i.e.
> if you state the page title and name you would like in the tab, then you
> can either link to a note like the introduction page or edit that one
> page once generated. At least then the links to it have been made on all
> the other pages.

I'd be curious to hear the other developers' opinions on that.
Technically, I think it would be simple: Just specify a page name and
the plugin adds another 'tab' to each page with a hyperlink to
'page-name.html' in the root folder.

Thanks for these suggestions. Let's see if any other devs chime in.
Otherwise, you should post the first and third suggestions on bug
tracker as feature requests.

-Jason Simanek

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

gramps.lists.sourceforge.net
Requests made in 'Feature Requests'
0002630  Narrative Web-Additional pages on site creation
Reports - 2009-01-20 20:30
0002629 A Narrative Web- Full ancestral tree for the Home person
Reports - 2009-01-20 20:24
0002628 A Narrative Web- Alphabetical navigation in Surnames and
Individuals page
Reports - 2009-01-20 20:11

Adrian

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

2009/1/20 Jason Simanek <[hidden email]>
On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 10:09 +0000, Adrian wrote:
> At the top of the surname page could there be an alphabet that links to
> each respective letter in the list below? this would reduce much
> scrolling down the page.
> example
> Have tho page as it is now but with
> A |B |C |D |E |F |G |H |I |J |K |L |M |N |O |P |Q |R |S |T |U |V |W |X |
>                                   Y |Z
> at the top

This would be easily done and I think is a good suggestion.

Only a good suggestion if you can make it work for arabic, russian, chineze, ....
GRAMPS is an international software, so English only solution should be avoided if we cannot remove it automatically for the non-english or provide alternative.

Re: Gramplets for the Web?

gramps.lists.sourceforge.net
Thanks Benny,

I agree when you put it like that, however the way around it may be to
produce a script, very similar to the one that produces the alphabetic
characters in the left column. The script would scan the database for
the first letters in the surnames and produce a line with only the
characters that appear in the in this query. If there are too many
characters to fit on one line, make it flow to the next. Trees with
surnames not beginning with a character, will not display that
character. The demo was a mock up, not an end product, sorry, I should
have left out the unused characters.

Adrian