Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

Stéphane Charette-2
Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1 is now available in source form.  I do not plan on making the .deb files or other package available unless the management team says this is needed.

You can download 3.2.0-0beta1 from either of the 2 usual places:

SourceForge:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/
Subversion:  See the tag called https://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps/tags/gramps-3.2.0-beta1/

For those who may need a refresher on installing from source:  http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installation#Obtaining_the_source

One minor known issue with the beta:  The two ChangeLog files are a few days out-of-date.  I realized after uploading it to SourceForge that I had failed to regenerate the 2 ChangeLog files.  This should not affect testing of the beta.

Stéphane

Re : Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

jerome
It sounds good. :)

I just have two minor issues :

* fanchartview is loaded but not displayed !
* there is no icon for "Configure View..." button
but gramps-config.png images are on my gramps/images/* directories

I will try to install beta under an other distribution.
Maybe this is related to my config ?

Thank you !

Jérôme R.

> source form.  I do not plan on making the .deb files or
> other package available unless the management team says this
> is needed.
>
> You can download 3.2.0-0beta1 from either of the 2 usual
> places:
>

> SourceForge:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/
> Subversion:  See the tag called https://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps/tags/gramps-3.2.0-beta1/
>

> For those who may need a refresher on installing from
> source:  http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installation#Obtaining_the_source
>

> One minor known issue with the beta:  The two ChangeLog
> files are a few days out-of-date.  I realized after
> uploading it to SourceForge that I had failed to regenerate
> the 2 ChangeLog files.  This should not affect testing of
> the beta.
>

> Stéphane
>

> -----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

> Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
> Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed compiling,
> find bugs
> proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel
> performance.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev
> -----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

Re: Re : Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

jerome
> * there is no icon for "Configure View..." button

It was a typo on Makefile !

Only one SVG file was copied and Gnome (which uses 22x22 icons on
toolbar) was not able to scale images...
Also the zoom button (16x16 ?) on GeoView is missing.

I added 3 missing images under 22x22 directory and now SVG files should
be properly copied.

./configure --prefix=/home/blabla/32
make
make install # as user

could help us to test installation without problems
(just ignore MIME update and desktop shortcut)

Jérôme

jerome a écrit :

> It sounds good. :)
>
> I just have two minor issues :
>
> * fanchartview is loaded but not displayed !
> * there is no icon for "Configure View..." button
> but gramps-config.png images are on my gramps/images/* directories
>
> I will try to install beta under an other distribution.
> Maybe this is related to my config ?
>
> Thank you !
>
> Jérôme R.

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

Jay Treacy
On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:11:44AM -0800, Stéphane Charette wrote:
> Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1 is now available in source form.  I do not plan on
> making the .deb files or other package available unless the management team
> says this is needed.

I have created a Debian .deb for 3.2.0 beta1. It can be found at
http://people.debian.org/~treacy/
It has only been tested to see if it starts correctly so further
testing would be appreciated.

--
James Treacy

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

Benny Malengier
2010/3/5 James A. Treacy <[hidden email]>:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:11:44AM -0800, Stéphane Charette wrote:
>> Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1 is now available in source form.  I do not plan on
>> making the .deb files or other package available unless the management team
>> says this is needed.
>
> I have created a Debian .deb for 3.2.0 beta1. It can be found at
> http://people.debian.org/~treacy/
> It has only been tested to see if it starts correctly so further
> testing would be appreciated.

It works to install on ubuntu 9.10.

One problem: no icons are shown. If I look in the install location, I see:

ls /usr/share/gramps/images/scalable/

only contains 1 file, whereas there should be a lot:
http://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps/branches/maintenance/gramps32/src/images/scalable/

So something is wrong there.

> James Treacy

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

Benny Malengier
2010/3/5 Benny Malengier <[hidden email]>:

> 2010/3/5 James A. Treacy <[hidden email]>:
>> On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:11:44AM -0800, Stéphane Charette wrote:
>>> Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1 is now available in source form.  I do not plan on
>>> making the .deb files or other package available unless the management team
>>> says this is needed.
>>
>> I have created a Debian .deb for 3.2.0 beta1. It can be found at
>> http://people.debian.org/~treacy/
>> It has only been tested to see if it starts correctly so further
>> testing would be appreciated.
>
> It works to install on ubuntu 9.10.
>
> One problem: no icons are shown. If I look in the install location, I see:
>
> ls /usr/share/gramps/images/scalable/
>
> only contains 1 file, whereas there should be a lot:
> http://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps/branches/maintenance/gramps32/src/images/scalable/
>
> So something is wrong there.

It seems that it is a Makefile error, Jerome fixed it. You will want
to patch the beta with it for distribution:

http://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps/branches/maintenance/gramps32/src/images/scalable/Makefile.am?r1=14425&r2=14632

Benny

>> James Treacy
>> [hidden email]

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

Stéphane Charette-2
> It seems that it is a Makefile error, Jerome fixed it. You will want
> to patch the beta with it for distribution

This warrants a beta2, no?  I can make time this weekend to put it together if we want it.

Also:  James, I *really* could use the debian files (control, rules, ...?) you use to create the package.  The ones I use in our svn repository are quite out-of-date.  I think a while back you talked about fixing up some of the requirements, but I don't know if our repository was updated.

Stéphane

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

Benny Malengier
2010/3/6 Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]>:
>> It seems that it is a Makefile error, Jerome fixed it. You will want
>> to patch the beta with it for distribution
>
> This warrants a beta2, no?  I can make time this weekend to put it together
> if we want it.

It sure is annoying. If you have time, an updated beta for this would
be nice. Gramps is working however, so people can still test with this
beta.

Benny

> Also:  James, I *really* could use the debian files (control, rules, ...?)
> you use to create the package.  The ones I use in our svn repository are
> quite out-of-date.  I think a while back you talked about fixing up some of
> the requirements, but I don't know if our repository was updated.
>
> Stéphane

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

jerome
yes a little bit annoying but just a visual issue, before a new beta, maybe to fix the load/diplay problem on 'Ancestry' category !

Gramps-3.2beta1 provides only one view on 'Ancestry' category (the PedigreeView).

FanChartView is ignored and I cannot load any addons for this category :(

> 2010/3/6 Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]>:
> >> It seems that it is a Makefile error, Jerome fixed
> it. You will want
> >> to patch the beta with it for distribution
> >
> > This warrants a beta2, no?  I can make time this
> weekend to put it together
> > if we want it.
>
> It sure is annoying. If you have time, an updated beta for
> this would
> be nice. Gramps is working however, so people can still
> test with this
> beta.
>
> Benny
>

> > Also:  James, I *really* could use the debian files
> (control, rules, ...?)
> > you use to create the package.  The ones I use in our
> svn repository are
> > quite out-of-date.  I think a while back you talked
> about fixing up some of
> > the requirements, but I don't know if our repository
> was updated.
> >
> > Stéphane

> Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
> Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed compiling,
> find bugs
> proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel
> performance.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

Benny Malengier
2010/3/6 jerome <[hidden email]>:
> yes a little bit annoying but just a visual issue, before a new beta, maybe to fix the load/diplay problem on 'Ancestry' category !
>
> Gramps-3.2beta1 provides only one view on 'Ancestry' category (the PedigreeView).
>
> FanChartView is ignored and I cannot load any addons for this category :(

If you look in the gpr.py file, you see that the status is UNSTABLE,
so it will not load for users.
I'll change it to STABLE.
Some plugins on the addons may also be unstable. It is up to the
plugin writer to decide if the plugin should be exposed to normal
users. It would be best to update the wiki page on addons, so that
unstable plugins are not in the main section, and it is made clear to
users they must run the _development_ version to see the plugin and
use it.

Benny

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

jerome
> If you look in the gpr.py file, you see that the status is
> UNSTABLE,
> so it will not load for users.
> I'll change it to STABLE.

ohhh, thank you ! I did not know it was checked ...

Does 'status checker' only works in some cases ?
I didn't get this limitation by using sources and maybe without python -O (like Gary's problem [1]).

> It would be best to update the wiki page on addons,
> so that
> unstable plugins are not in the main section, and it is
> made clear to
> users they must run the _development_ version to see the
> plugin and
> use it.

There is an other issue [2] still pending with addons : package generation. I did not commit the change on make.py but I think to change compile code (first step) will be useful for plugin writers. So working like this :

python make.py compile AddonDirectory
python make.py build AddonDirectory

[1] http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=3666
[2] http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=3664

> > yes a little bit annoying but just a visual issue,
> before a new beta, maybe to fix the load/diplay problem on
> 'Ancestry' category !
> >
> > Gramps-3.2beta1 provides only one view on 'Ancestry'
> category (the PedigreeView).
> >
> > FanChartView is ignored and I cannot load any addons
> for this category :(
>
> If you look in the gpr.py file, you see that the status is
> UNSTABLE,
> so it will not load for users.
> I'll change it to STABLE.
> Some plugins on the addons may also be unstable. It is up
> to the
> plugin writer to decide if the plugin should be exposed to
> normal
> users. It would be best to update the wiki page on addons,
> so that
> unstable plugins are not in the main section, and it is
> made clear to
> users they must run the _development_ version to see the
> plugin and
> use it.
>
> Benny
>

> > --- En date de : Sam 6.3.10, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]>
> a écrit :
> >
> >> De: Benny Malengier <[hidden email]>
> >> Objet: Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1
> >> À: "Stéphane Charette" <[hidden email]>
> >> Cc: "gramps-devel" <[hidden email]>
> >> Date: Samedi 6 mars 2010, 0h21
> Jerome fixed
> >> it. You will want
> distribution

> this
> >> weekend to put it together
> >>
> >> It sure is annoying. If you have time, an updated
> beta for
> >> this would
> >> be nice. Gramps is working however, so people can
> still
> >> test with this
> >> beta.
> >>
> >> Benny

> debian files
> >> (control, rules, ...?)
> use in our
> >> svn repository are
> talked
> >> about fixing up some of
> repository
> >> was updated.

> >> Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
> >> Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed
> compiling,
> >> find bugs
> >> proactively, and fine-tune applications for
> parallel
> >> performance.
> >> See why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks
> during beta.
> >> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

DS Blank
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Benny Malengier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/3/6 jerome <[hidden email]>:
>> yes a little bit annoying but just a visual issue, before a new beta, maybe to fix the load/diplay problem on 'Ancestry' category !
>>
>> Gramps-3.2beta1 provides only one view on 'Ancestry' category (the PedigreeView).
>>
>> FanChartView is ignored and I cannot load any addons for this category :(
>
> If you look in the gpr.py file, you see that the status is UNSTABLE,
> so it will not load for users.
> I'll change it to STABLE.
> Some plugins on the addons may also be unstable. It is up to the
> plugin writer to decide if the plugin should be exposed to normal
> users. It would be best to update the wiki page on addons, so that
> unstable plugins are not in the main section, and it is made clear to
> users they must run the _development_ version to see the plugin and
> use it.

Maybe STABLE/UNSTABLE doesn't make as much sense now that people can
HIDE/SHOW plugins? Perhaps those UNSTABLE that ship with Gramps should
just be initially hidden?

-Doug

> Benny

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

Benny Malengier
2010/3/6 Doug Blank <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Benny Malengier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2010/3/6 jerome <[hidden email]>:
>>> yes a little bit annoying but just a visual issue, before a new beta, maybe to fix the load/diplay problem on 'Ancestry' category !
>>>
>>> Gramps-3.2beta1 provides only one view on 'Ancestry' category (the PedigreeView).
>>>
>>> FanChartView is ignored and I cannot load any addons for this category :(
>>
>> If you look in the gpr.py file, you see that the status is UNSTABLE,
>> so it will not load for users.
>> I'll change it to STABLE.
>> Some plugins on the addons may also be unstable. It is up to the
>> plugin writer to decide if the plugin should be exposed to normal
>> users. It would be best to update the wiki page on addons, so that
>> unstable plugins are not in the main section, and it is made clear to
>> users they must run the _development_ version to see the plugin and
>> use it.
>
> Maybe STABLE/UNSTABLE doesn't make as much sense now that people can
> HIDE/SHOW plugins? Perhaps those UNSTABLE that ship with Gramps should
> just be initially hidden?

If something is unstable, it means it is not ready for prime time.
There is nothing wrong with that, and it is good to protect our users
from unstable code.
It is already possible to hide by default Stable code, see eg the html
view, so I see no reason to change the policy.
One of the failings of OSS is immature code being to quickly usable by
users, which then decide they don't like it, not taking into account
the code was not finished in the first place.

Benny

> -Doug
>

>> Benny

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

DS Blank
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Benny Malengier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/3/6 Doug Blank <[hidden email]>:
>> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Benny Malengier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> If you look in the gpr.py file, you see that the status is UNSTABLE,
>>> so it will not load for users.
>>> I'll change it to STABLE.
>>> Some plugins on the addons may also be unstable. It is up to the
>>> plugin writer to decide if the plugin should be exposed to normal
>>> users. It would be best to update the wiki page on addons, so that
>>> unstable plugins are not in the main section, and it is made clear to
>>> users they must run the _development_ version to see the plugin and
>>> use it.
>>
>> Maybe STABLE/UNSTABLE doesn't make as much sense now that people can
>> HIDE/SHOW plugins? Perhaps those UNSTABLE that ship with Gramps should
>> just be initially hidden?
>
> If something is unstable, it means it is not ready for prime time.

Except that is not what we are using it for: we use it to be only
visible if not -O for debug tools. I'm moving the UNSTABLE
CalcEstimatedDates and Django Import/Export to Addons, so the only
ones UNSTABLE items left are the debug tools.

-Doug

> There is nothing wrong with that, and it is good to protect our users
> from unstable code.
> It is already possible to hide by default Stable code, see eg the html
> view, so I see no reason to change the policy.
> One of the failings of OSS is immature code being to quickly usable by
> users, which then decide they don't like it, not taking into account
> the code was not finished in the first place.
>
> Benny
>
>> -Doug
>>

>>> Benny

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

Nick Hall-6
Benny,

Do you really want to make the FanChartView stable?

I get slow response times from it, and there is no busy indicator or
progress bar.  I also get about a 3 second delay before the popup
appears after a right button mouse click.

I wasn't expecting this to be available to normal users.

Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2010/3/6 jerome <[hidden email]>:
>
>> yes a little bit annoying but just a visual issue, before a new beta, maybe to fix the load/diplay problem on 'Ancestry' category !
>>
>> Gramps-3.2beta1 provides only one view on 'Ancestry' category (the PedigreeView).
>>
>> FanChartView is ignored and I cannot load any addons for this category :(
>>

> If you look in the gpr.py file, you see that the status is UNSTABLE,
> so it will not load for users.
> I'll change it to STABLE.
> Some plugins on the addons may also be unstable. It is up to the
> plugin writer to decide if the plugin should be exposed to normal
> users. It would be best to update the wiki page on addons, so that
> unstable plugins are not in the main section, and it is made clear to
> users they must run the _development_ version to see the plugin and
> use it.
>
> Benny

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

Benny Malengier
2010/3/6 Nick Hall <[hidden email]>:
> Benny,
>
> Do you really want to make the FanChartView stable?
>
> I get slow response times from it, and there is no busy indicator or
> progress bar.  I also get about a 3 second delay before the popup appears
> after a right button mouse click.
>
> I wasn't expecting this to be available to normal users.

I did not notice the popup was so slow. On somebody with a lot of
ancestors I notice it now that you point it out. Indeed not very
professional. The other operations are not fast, but not too slow on
my machine (6 years old laptop).
From of point of view of not giving errors, the fanchart works
however, so it is a matter of being too slow for painting. I see if I
have time to investigate
What do others think. Set it hidden by default? Or consider it not
ready for users? I am looking at 2^7=128+  people on the fanchartview,
which is still very understandable when looking at it. So I do think
it is a usefull addition.

Benny

> Regards,
>

> Nick.
>

> Benny Malengier wrote:
>>
>> 2010/3/6 jerome <[hidden email]>:
>>

>>> yes a little bit annoying but just a visual issue, before a new beta,
>>> maybe to fix the load/diplay problem on 'Ancestry' category !
>>>
>>> Gramps-3.2beta1 provides only one view on 'Ancestry' category (the
>>> PedigreeView).
>>>
>>> FanChartView is ignored and I cannot load any addons for this category :(
>>>

>> If you look in the gpr.py file, you see that the status is UNSTABLE,
>> so it will not load for users.
>> I'll change it to STABLE.
>> Some plugins on the addons may also be unstable. It is up to the
>> plugin writer to decide if the plugin should be exposed to normal
>> users. It would be best to update the wiki page on addons, so that
>> unstable plugins are not in the main section, and it is made clear to
>> users they must run the _development_ version to see the plugin and
>> use it.
>>
>> Benny
>>

>>> --- En date de : Sam 6.3.10, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]>

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

DS Blank
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Benny,
>
> Do you really want to make the FanChartView stable?

That was me that said that.

> I get slow response times from it, and there is no busy indicator or
> progress bar.  I also get about a 3 second delay before the popup
> appears after a right button mouse click.
>
> I wasn't expecting this to be available to normal users.

I don't see that delay at all.

-Doug

> Regards,
>

> Nick.
>

> Benny Malengier wrote:
>> 2010/3/6 jerome <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> yes a little bit annoying but just a visual issue, before a new beta, maybe to fix the load/diplay problem on 'Ancestry' category !
>>>
>>> Gramps-3.2beta1 provides only one view on 'Ancestry' category (the PedigreeView).
>>>
>>> FanChartView is ignored and I cannot load any addons for this category :(
>>>

>> If you look in the gpr.py file, you see that the status is UNSTABLE,
>> so it will not load for users.
>> I'll change it to STABLE.
>> Some plugins on the addons may also be unstable. It is up to the
>> plugin writer to decide if the plugin should be exposed to normal
>> users. It would be best to update the wiki page on addons, so that
>> unstable plugins are not in the main section, and it is made clear to
>> users they must run the _development_ version to see the plugin and
>> use it.
>>
>> Benny

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

2010/3/6 Doug Blank <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Benny Malengier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2010/3/6 Doug Blank <[hidden email]>:

>>> Maybe STABLE/UNSTABLE doesn't make as much sense now that people can
>>> HIDE/SHOW plugins? Perhaps those UNSTABLE that ship with Gramps should
>>> just be initially hidden?
>>
>> If something is unstable, it means it is not ready for prime time.
>
> Except that is not what we are using it for: we use it to be only
> visible if not -O for debug tools. I'm moving the UNSTABLE
> CalcEstimatedDates and Django Import/Export to Addons, so the only
> ones UNSTABLE items left are the debug tools.

Feel free to create a status==DEBUG :-)

If you move UNSTABLE plugins to addons, be carefull that users don't
just download them with the wrong expectation, so leave them UNSTABLE
if they are not yet meant for the normal user.

As to UNSTABLE in Gramps, it is more convenient to put a plugin to
status UNSTABLE and already add it to the Makefiles, then to do it
otherwise. So it is from a developing point of view an intersting way
to handle not yet finished plugins. It is normal however that in the
end all plugins in gramps development branch become STABLE or are
removed. It is in other words not a contradiction that there are at
the moment no real UNSTABLE plugins in our code.

I do think that for addons you need to give the users a way to make a
distinction between plugins that are fully developed, and others that
are in development. Eg, I used the timeline view, but I saw several
bugs. It would be unfortunate if people don't trust gramps-addons
because they download something that then they are not satisfied with.
A way to give stars as in firefox, or to indicate clearly "work in
progress" is important.

Consider the first users that go to
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=3.2_Third-party_Plugins
from within Gramps. They look at the top of that file and see two
experimental views that will not work for them or be confusing
(missing dependencies, not integrated with the rest of Gramps), then
two very advanced exporters they don't need, then a clock they don't
need, ...
From a PR point of you, you should really organize that page from the
most usefull, to the less usefull, to the experimental plugins.

Benny

> -Doug
>
>> There is nothing wrong with that, and it is good to protect our users
>> from unstable code.
>> It is already possible to hide by default Stable code, see eg the html
>> view, so I see no reason to change the policy.
>> One of the failings of OSS is immature code being to quickly usable by
>> users, which then decide they don't like it, not taking into account
>> the code was not finished in the first place.
>>
>> Benny
>>
>>> -Doug

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

DS Blank
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Benny Malengier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/3/6 Doug Blank <[hidden email]>:
>> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Benny Malengier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> If something is unstable, it means it is not ready for prime time.
>>
>> Except that is not what we are using it for: we use it to be only
>> visible if not -O for debug tools. I'm moving the UNSTABLE
>> CalcEstimatedDates and Django Import/Export to Addons, so the only
>> ones UNSTABLE items left are the debug tools.
>
> Feel free to create a status==DEBUG :-)
>
> If you move UNSTABLE plugins to addons, be carefull that users don't
> just download them with the wrong expectation, so leave them UNSTABLE
> if they are not yet meant for the normal user.
>
> As to UNSTABLE in Gramps, it is more convenient to put a plugin to
> status UNSTABLE and already add it to the Makefiles, then to do it
> otherwise. So it is from a developing point of view an intersting way
> to handle not yet finished plugins. It is normal however that in the
> end all plugins in gramps development branch become STABLE or are
> removed. It is in other words not a contradiction that there are at
> the moment no real UNSTABLE plugins in our code.
>
> I do think that for addons you need to give the users a way to make a
> distinction between plugins that are fully developed, and others that
> are in development. Eg, I used the timeline view, but I saw several
> bugs. It would be unfortunate if people don't trust gramps-addons
> because they download something that then they are not satisfied with.
> A way to give stars as in firefox, or to indicate clearly "work in
> progress" is important.

Yes, that would be the plan. Currently, stars are given by us with the meanings:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Plugin_List_Legend#Rating_.28out_of_4.29

> Consider the first users that go to
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=3.2_Third-party_Plugins
> from within Gramps. They look at the top of that file and see two
> experimental views that will not work for them or be confusing
> (missing dependencies, not integrated with the rest of Gramps), then
> two very advanced exporters they don't need, then a clock they don't
> need, ...

I'm working on revising that page before the release date. But I'm
hoping that most users will not get the addons from there, but instead
will use the Plugin Manager.

> From a PR point of you, you should really organize that page from the
> most usefull, to the less usefull, to the experimental plugins.

That should be easy, I'm sure there is a universal "useful scale" that
we will all agree on :) But, yes, I think we can rearrange those in a
better order for new users. I'm adding thumbnails for all of them to
try to help give an idea of what each does.

-Doug

> Benny
>>
>> -Doug
>>
>>> There is nothing wrong with that, and it is good to protect our users
>>> from unstable code.
>>> It is already possible to hide by default Stable code, see eg the html
>>> view, so I see no reason to change the policy.
>>> One of the failings of OSS is immature code being to quickly usable by
>>> users, which then decide they don't like it, not taking into account
>>> the code was not finished in the first place.
>>>
>>> Benny

Re: Gramps 3.2.0-0beta1

I have a slower return by using PedigreeGramplet than FanChart View.