Gramps 3.2 and Mint

Pat Clark
I've just put 3.2 on Linux Mint 8 KDE. It works really well and it
imported a gpkg file made from 3.1 with no trouble (once I'd set the new
path for the pictures). The best version of Gramps yet.

I love the new view system, now I can't lose the person I'm working on
under a pile of windows.

Will there be a version of 3.2 packaged for Ubuntu 8.04...please.

Pat

Re: Gramps 3.2 and Mint

Benny Malengier
2010/3/17 Pat Clark <[hidden email]>:
> I've just put 3.2 on Linux Mint 8 KDE. It works really well and it
> imported a gpkg file made from 3.1 with no trouble (once I'd set the new
> path for the pictures). The best version of Gramps yet.
>
> I love the new view system, now I can't lose the person I'm working on
> under a pile of windows.
>
> Will there be a version of 3.2 packaged for Ubuntu 8.04...please.

I am running the source version of Gramps on Ubuntu 8.04 without problems.
The easiest to set it up would be:

1/Make sure the default Gramps is installed via the package manager.
Like that you have all dependencies ok
2/Install python-webkit or python-gtkmozembed
3/download the tar.gz file and extract it in you home directory, eg
/home/me/gramps/
4/go into the directory and if const.py is not present, rename
const.py.in into const.py. You could edit const.py to point to correct
directories for home, ..., if you want
5/open a terminal (Konsole or Terminal)
6/type:
python -O /home/me/gramps/gramps.py

That should start the new version. Be carefull to not open new family
trees in the old version of Gramps, so always start Gramps in the
above manner.

So, not much more difficult than installing a deb, and no compiling required.

Benny

> Pat

Re: Gramps 3.2 and Mint

Pat Clark
Benny Malengier wrote:

> I am running the source version of Gramps on Ubuntu 8.04 without problems.
> The easiest to set it up would be:
>
> 1/Make sure the default Gramps is installed via the package manager.
> Like that you have all dependencies ok
> 2/Install python-webkit or python-gtkmozembed
> 3/download the tar.gz file and extract it in you home directory, eg
> /home/me/gramps/
> 4/go into the directory and if const.py is not present, rename
> const.py.in into const.py. You could edit const.py to point to correct
> directories for home, ..., if you want
> 5/open a terminal (Konsole or Terminal)
> 6/type:
> python -O /home/me/gramps/gramps.py
>
> That should start the new version. Be carefull to not open new family
> trees in the old version of Gramps, so always start Gramps in the
> above manner.
>
> So, not much more difficult than installing a deb, and no compiling required.
>
> Benny

Thanks for this, Benny. I'll give it a try. I shall remove the Gramps
startup icon from my desktop, then I won't accidentally start the old
version.

Thanks again.

Pat