Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

jerome

  Version 3.4.7, the "Ask me tomorrow, but not today", has been
released.

This is a maintenance release.

  Changes since Gramps 3.4.6:

* Development switched from SVN to git.
* Add new filter rule matching citations having a source with a <text>
on a note
* Add primary role option to event filter
* Add Groups support and reduce number of lines in Event types selector
* Add 'Last Change' column on selectors, when missing
* Fix a filter rule on citation sidebar (Source:Note)
* Fix url in Welcome gramplet when detached
* Fix bug in associations filter
* Better support for objects having citations as subobjects
* Check Tag handling on people views
* Keep at least one column on views
* Reorder tool now updates citation IDs
* Performance improvement in ancestor filter
* Reduce number of columns in LDS temple selector
* Fix menu action for last recently opened family trees
* Fix minor visual issue on Merge Person dialog
* Use 'Bat Mitzvah' (en_US event name)
* "Add citation" missing in pop-up menu
* Fix HTML spacing on GraphViz output
* Enhancement on date validation into Date Editor
* Invalid dates (like 2013-02-30) no longer crash the date editor or
file import.
* Fixed image handling in ODF docgen, thanks to Matthias Basler for the
initial patch.
* Fixed GEDCOM export for family _UID, added support for _FSFTID, by
Enno Borgsteede.
* Fixed bookmark handling in navigation views.
* Multiple maintainability and usability improvements.
* Translation updates and translation-related fixes.

See the Changelog[1] for more details.

You can get it from the download page[2].

---

  Version 4.0.3, the "It's tomorrow, ask me now", has been released.

This is a maintenance release.

  Changes since Gramps 4.0.2:

* Some common fixes and changes with above Gramps 3.4.7.
* Fix copy via context menu on Views into Charts Category
* Fix Tab sequence in Name Editor
* Fix citations gramplet into media view
* Fix unhandled exception when inspecting media
* Fix Citation sidebar filter for python3
* Fix add link to a "Html code" note
* Fix message on backup dialog
* Fix space for selection lists
* Fix spell with myspell and LANG
* Fix changes root cursor to hand
* Recent file parser now gives the file location
* Fix vertical overflows on check and repair-tool dialog
* Fix custom key/value (data item) on Database difference report
* Fix unhandled exception in media exif information under Windows OS
* Fix person selector in searchfilter under Windows OS
* Starting Gramps without console is now possible under Windows OS
* Specific OS handling
* Updated translations: ca, de, fi, fr, ru

See the Changelog[3] for more details.

You can get it from the download page[2].

[1] http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/changelog_page.php?version_id=44
[2] http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download
[3] http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/changelog_page.php?version_id=45

Thank you all!

Re: Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

Vassilii Khachaturov
On 27.01.2014 21:26, Jerome wrote:
> [SNIP]
> Thank you all!

Thank you! I've successfully upgraded to 3.4.7-2 package on my
production (actual research) machine.

Re: Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

jerome

Vassilii,

As we had common changes on code, I just released '3.4.7' and '4.0.3'
on the same day! I updated the wiki page[1] for steps before release
with an uniq hierarchy!

I got two difficulties for '4.0.3', one was maybe related to svn -> git
migration, generating problems during ChangeLog generation (git log
--numstat?).
The second one, was around VERSION. So, I made a minor change for
skipping git version number and adding a simple numerical value for
packaging, like into configure.in (gramps-3.4.x).

Build from tags is easy, and let us commit/push on git branches, even
during release stage.

About, *.deb packages for 4.0.x, as said by Ross, still some remaining
issues (copyright, licences for some scripts used by webapp, debian doc
files).

You have the package with fixed License item into About dialog.
'3.4.7-1' did not include COPYING file... I do not know how to properly
fix it
for '4.0.x' because debhelper or something else is archiving (.gz) most
plain text files (/usr/share/doc/gramps)!

Maybe I should rather use copyright (approved by debian!) filename into
const.py, but I am already changing some lines into setup.py...

- path = os.path.abspath(os.path.join(self.install_data, 'share'))
+ path = os.path.join('/usr', 'share')

# I do not know if it is related to debian layout or if I should set a
prefix?
# 'setup.py' is not included into .deb, 'gramps/gen/const.py' does...

So, I think this will not be a good solution, only a temp workaround.

I still use 'gramps' package name (python-gramps?), but this is
cosmetic.

I also need to clean UNSTABLE section under sourceforge hosting, but I
have problems with sourceforge shell: I remember that they do not use a
common one, but I do not find their documentation anymore.

[1]
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_for_a_release

PS: thanks for the fix on NEWS, I do not know why I thought it was on
CLI!

J.

Le mar. 28 janv. 2014 at 14:17,Vassilii Khachaturov
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On 27.01.2014 21:26, Jerome wrote:
>>  [SNIP]
>>  Thank you all!
>>

> Thank you! I've successfully upgraded to 3.4.7-2 package on my
> production (actual research) machine.

Re: Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

Ross Gammon
On 01/28/2014 03:39 PM, Jerome wrote:

> Vassilii,

<snip>

> You have the package with fixed License item into About dialog.
> '3.4.7-1' did not include COPYING file... I do not know how to
> properly fix it for '4.0.x' because debhelper or something else is
> archiving (.gz) most plain text files (/usr/share/doc/gramps)!

Sorry - in a bit of a hurry this morning, but I think you are right.
It is one of the debhelpers (dh_installdocs?) that installs all docs
to a standard docs directory so that users can find them. The files it
copies are listed in debian/gramps.docs.
> Maybe I should rather use copyright (approved by debian!) filename
> into const.py, but I am already changing some lines into
> setup.py...
On Debian (and I assume Ubuntu) the standard license texts are
installed onto the system on first install (you can find the location
stated in the debian/copyright file). I was thinking that maybe the
license button on the About dialog for Debian systems could load that
file instead?

> - path = os.path.abspath(os.path.join(self.install_data, 'share'))
> + path = os.path.join('/usr', 'share')
For the 4.0.2 that I am still working on (I can't keep up!!), I was
forced to add this patch when I suddenly started to get Resource Path
errors.

> # I do not know if it is related to debian layout or if I should
> set a prefix? # 'setup.py' is not included into .deb,
> 'gramps/gen/const.py' does...
>
> So, I think this will not be a good solution, only a temp
> workaround.

<snip>
Cheers,

Ross

On 29.01.2014 08:56, Ross Gammon wrote:
> For the 4.0.2 that I am still working on (I can't keep up!!),
Maybe just adjust your packaging to base on 3.4.7/4.0.3? If your local
packaging patches re-apply cleanly (except obviously around the version
numbers), you'll get a more stable version to package and re-use all
your work done so far. Or has the debian/ubuntu pull freeze already
committed you for 4.0.2?

V.

Re: Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

At a glance, we should be able to properly run something like:

$PYTHONPATH=.. python setup.py --install-lib=./app-packages
--install-dir=/usr --prefix=/usr ?

but I did not look further...

Note, if you work on '4.0.3' (or 3.4.7), maybe at least one bug report
might be fixed for Debian :
;)

About 'dh_installdocs', I suppose there is something else because I
used the same configuration for '3.4.7' and '4.0.3' versions. Maybe
something related to python and the new installation way? AUTHORS, TODO
seems to be valid files for Debian, and example (eg, .gramps or .ged
file) are also compressed!

For '3.4.7', COPYING is installed under: usr/share/gramps/COPYING!!!
So, to fix it on '4.0.3' should be also possible, maybe just need to
fix the installation path for this file?

Cheers,

Jérôme

On 01/29/2014 11:05 AM, Vassilii Khachaturov wrote:
> On 29.01.2014 08:56, Ross Gammon wrote:
>> For the 4.0.2 that I am still working on (I can't keep up!!),
> Maybe just adjust your packaging to base on 3.4.7/4.0.3? If your local
> packaging patches re-apply cleanly (except obviously around the version
> numbers), you'll get a more stable version to package and re-use all
> your work done so far. Or has the debian/ubuntu pull freeze already
> committed you for 4.0.2?
>
> V.
That was meant as a joke and a complement:-)
Yes, I will import 4.0.3 and then merge my work in the debian directory
from 4.0.2 which will mostly be the same. That will also allow me to
drop one patch.

On 01/29/2014 11:48 AM, Jerome wrote:

> At a glance, we should be able to properly run something like:
>
> $PYTHONPATH=.. python setup.py --install-lib=./app-packages
> --install-dir=/usr --prefix=/usr ?
>
> but I did not look further...

Okay - it would be better if I use the right options in debian/rules
instead of patching setup.py.

> Note, if you work on '4.0.3' (or 3.4.7), maybe at least one bug report
> might be fixed for Debian :
> ;)
Yes - and I will double check for others.

> About 'dh_installdocs', I suppose there is something else because I used
> the same configuration for '3.4.7' and '4.0.3' versions. Maybe something
> related to python and the new installation way? AUTHORS, TODO seems to
> be valid files for Debian, and example (eg, .gramps or .ged file) are
> also compressed!
Yes - for 4.0.x debhelper is invoked with the pybuild option (instead of
autotools) which will do things slightly different. But I can't imagine
why it affects the examples/docs etc. Maybe setup.py is slightly
different to the 3.4.x makefile?

> For '3.4.7', COPYING is installed under: usr/share/gramps/COPYING!!!
> So, to fix it on '4.0.3' should be also possible, maybe just need to fix
> the installation path for this file?

Sounds like a double check of where everything is being installed (and
how) is required! Let's get everything almost ready, and do this just
before I hit the go button.

Ross

> Cheers,
>
> Jérôme
>

> Le mer. 29 janv. 2014 at 7:56,Ross Gammon <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> On 01/28/2014 03:39 PM, Jerome wrote:
>>>
>> ‘2’For the 4.0.2 that I am still working on (I can't keep up!!), I was
>> forced to add this patch when I suddenly started to get Resource Path
>> errors.
>>>

>> <snip>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ross

>> WatchGuard Dimension instantly turns raw network data into actionable
>> security intelligence. It gives you real-time visual feedback on key
>> security issues and trends.  Skip the complicated setup - simply import
>> a virtual appliance and go from zero to informed in seconds.
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=123612991&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

Helge.Herz-2
The Gramps 4.0.3 AIO32bit package for Win is available as
Gramps403AIOpackageWin32pygi3.10.6V01.zip at sourceforge.net now.

Changes since Gramps402AIOpackageWin32pygi3.10.2V02:
+ Gramps 4.0.3
+ PyGi version 3.10.6
+ Special Gramps version code (also in Help About): 4.0.3-WinP01-1
+ Using still GraphViz 2.30.1 to prevent issue
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7109.
+ Gramps user data are better separated from binaries and python code by
using an other folder structure.
+ Less binary stuff for PyGi (not more than really needed)
+ Possibility to run Gramps without console window  (01_gramps_run
WitoutConsole.cmd)

On the user side I I'll wait with this information until the win
installer for 3.4.7 will be available.

-  Helge

Re: Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

enno
Hi Helge,
> The Gramps 4.0.3 AIO32bit package for Win is available as
> Gramps403AIOpackageWin32pygi3.10.6V01.zip at sourceforge.net now.
Thanks! I changed the wiki download page, so that users can find this
one, and the new 3.4.7 AIOs.

I can also tell that your 4.0.3 ZIP works fine in Windows XP.

cheers,

Re: Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

enno
Tadas,

> But how to import family tree to windows gramps if originaly family
> tree created on linux ubuntu? After import in windows gramps, i cannot
> see images of persons.

If you exported with images, it may depend on the image path set in
Windows, but this is beyond my experience.

regards,

Re: Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

Helge.Herz-2
Hi Enno,
> I changed the wiki download page, so that users can find this
> one, and the new 3.4.7 AIOs.
Thank you.
> I can also tell that your 4.0.3 ZIP works fine in Windows XP.
Thank you for the positive feedback too. (Mostly there are responses for
bugs only).
greetings
Helge

Re: Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

enno
Hi Helge,
> Thank you for the positive feedback too. (Mostly there are responses
> for bugs only).
You're welcome. Testing on XP is a routine job for me, because I run it
inside Linux to use other software like Ancestral Quest. Rebooting to
Windows 8.1 takes more time.

regards,

Re: Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

Josip
I made 4.0.3 windows bundle but can not upload it as always :-(
You can found it at:
https://db.tt/iTh65mAr

--
Josip

Re: Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

John Ralls-2

On Feb 1, 2014, at 11:47 AM, Josip <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I made 4.0.3 windows bundle but can not upload it as always :-(
> You can found it at:
> https://db.tt/iTh65mAr

Uploaded to SF, so now we have two packages, Josip’s GrampsAIO-4.0.3-1_win32_py27.exe and someone else’s Gramps403AIOpackageWin32pygi3.10.6V01.zip. Perhaps we should add something to the Readme explaining which one is appropriate for whom.

Regards,
John Ralls

Dana 1.2.2014. 20:59, John Ralls je napisao:

> On Feb 1, 2014, at 11:47 AM, Josip <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I made 4.0.3 windows bundle but can not upload it as always :-(
>> You can found it at:
>> https://db.tt/iTh65mAr
>
> Uploaded to SF, so now we have two packages, Josip’s GrampsAIO-4.0.3-1_win32_py27.exe and someone else’s Gramps403AIOpackageWin32pygi3.10.6V01.zip. Perhaps we should add something to the Readme explaining which one is appropriate for whom.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Thanks,
it should be be done for all files.

GrampsAIO-4.0.3-1_win32_py27.exe
The Gramps "software bundle" for Windows or GrampsAIO is an all-in-one
(a.k.a. "AIO") installation package of Gramps which includes all
dependencies for the Windows platform.

--
Josip

Re: Gramps 3.4.7 and 4.0.3 have been released !

Nick Hall-6
On 01/02/14 19:47, Josip wrote:
> I made 4.0.3 windows bundle but can not upload it as always:-(

I suggest that we make you a Release Technician in SF.

On Feb 1, 2014, at 1:42 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/02/14 19:47, Josip wrote:
>> I made 4.0.3 windows bundle but can not upload it as always:-(
>
> I suggest that we make you a Release Technician in SF.

When I acquired that privilege I also needed shell access. It’s not clear from the docs whether that’s still true.

Regards,
John Ralls

Dana 1.2.2014. 20:47, Josip je napisao:
> I made 4.0.3 windows bundle but can not upload it as always :-(
> You can found it at:
> https://db.tt/iTh65mAr

Opss, this is embarrassing!
Looks like i mess something with shortcut-link creation (skip pair of
empty string) so start of their description ends up as their hot-keys.

Here is new GrampsAIO-4.0.3-2_win32_py27.exe
https://db.tt/FYrEZKpM
Sorry for that!

Maybe i should explain those desktop/startmenu shortcut-links?

GrampsAIO-console links to gramps.exe
It is a console application so if it is not started from one he will
pop-up new one. Gramps will prints warnings and errors in that.
For those who want to script Gramps.
This is for use when asked to do "gramps -v" for example

GrampsAIO links to grampsw.exe
This is GUI application (hence the "w" endings) so no "DOS box"
That is probably preferred way to use Gramps for most users.
Since there is not standard handles in gui application, all warning and
error prints etc are redirected to file %APPDATA%\gramps\Gramps40.log

GrampsAIO-debug links to grampsd.exe
For time when you have problem running Gramps.
Unlike previous two it not runs optimized byte-compiled files but normal
ones (*.pyc no *.pyo).
It is console application which create one early in startup process if
is not started from one to catch early errors.
At the end of program it must be closed by hand (pressing any key or
clicking close button) giving you chance to see and copy errors to
report them. For those reason it will always start Gramps in English no
matter of your Windows locale settings.

--
Josip

Am 02.02.2014 00:11, schrieb Josip:
> Dana 1.2.2014. 20:47, Josip je napisao:
>> I made 4.0.3 windows bundle but can not upload it as always :-(
>> You can found it at:
>> https://db.tt/iTh65mAr

I Got it from sf. Good job, it runs also on my SSSE3-less machine with Win7.
Good idea to have this 3 possibilities to start. I think in the future
there is no more need for my package.

Without deeper trials I found this:
2014-02-02 00:53:14.199: WARNING: htmlrenderer.gpr.py: line 62: Webkit
module no
t loaded. Embedded web page viewing will not be available. Use your
package mana
ger to install gir1.2-webkit-3.0

and for Charts --> GraphView: empty view
     Format: "svg" not recognized. Use one of:
- Helge