Gramps 4.1.1?

jerome
Devs,

It seems that some bug reports for 4.1 branch related to place handling
are already fixed on git? Maybe it makes sense to release '4.1.1'?

Looking at reports on roadmap for 4.1.1[1] (and 4.0.5[2], 3.4.9[3]), we
cannot let Nick fix all of them...  Maybe if one wants a 3.4.9 or 4.0.5
release, then we can let these bug reports for 3.4.x and 4.0.x
branches. Otherwise, looks like we could be close to a '4.1.1'
release[1]?

[1] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=36
[2] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=52
[3] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=69

I will put an updated finnish translation send by mail.
I will re-hide the gramps 3.3.x list from bugs tracker.

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

Paul Franklin-5
I am making no judgement as to whether there should be any
particular release.

I will just mention that IMHO there have been many bugs fixed
in gramps41 which were never backported to gramps40.

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

Ross Gammon
Hi Devs,

I can see some movement on the 4.1.1 roadmap. Is there any chance of a
release in the next week or so?

Sorry to be a pain (again), but I have been a bit busy lately and the
Debian Release Freeze is on the 6th November. To get 4.1.1 in Debian
Jessie would require an upload to Debian unstable 10 days before (approx
26th Oct).

Regards,

Ross

On 09/10/2014 10:55 AM, Jerome wrote:

> Devs,
>

> It seems that some bug reports for 4.1 branch related to place handling
> are already fixed on git? Maybe it makes sense to release '4.1.1'?
>

> Looking at reports on roadmap for 4.1.1[1] (and 4.0.5[2], 3.4.9[3]), we
> cannot let Nick fix all of them...  Maybe if one wants a 3.4.9 or 4.0.5
> release, then we can let these bug reports for 3.4.x and 4.0.x
> branches. Otherwise, looks like we could be close to a '4.1.1'
> release[1]?
>

> [1] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=36
> [2] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=52
> [3] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=69
>

> I will put an updated finnish translation send by mail.
> I will re-hide the gramps 3.3.x list from bugs tracker.

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

Nick Hall
On 15/10/14 16:57, Ross Gammon wrote:
> I can see some movement on the 4.1.1 roadmap. Is there any chance of a
> release in the next week or so?
>
> Sorry to be a pain (again), but I have been a bit busy lately and the
> Debian Release Freeze is on the 6th November. To get 4.1.1 in Debian
> Jessie would require an upload to Debian unstable 10 days before (approx
> 26th Oct).

Thanks for letting us know.  Perhaps we should aim for a release on the
23rd October.

I'd like to make sure that any bugs related to the new place hierarchy
are fixed.  I'll also try and fix some of the NoneType errors.

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

Ross Gammon
On 10/15/2014 08:48 PM, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 15/10/14 16:57, Ross Gammon wrote:
>> I can see some movement on the 4.1.1 roadmap. Is there any chance
>> of a release in the next week or so?
>>
>> Sorry to be a pain (again), but I have been a bit busy lately and
>> the Debian Release Freeze is on the 6th November. To get 4.1.1 in
>> Debian Jessie would require an upload to Debian unstable 10 days
>> before (approx 26th Oct).
>
> Thanks for letting us know.  Perhaps we should aim for a release on
> the 23rd October.
>
> I'd like to make sure that any bugs related to the new place
> hierarchy are fixed.  I'll also try and fix some of the NoneType
> errors.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick.

Thanks Nick - it will be good to have those fixes in.

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

Tom Hughes
On 15/10/14 19:48, Nick Hall wrote:

> I'd like to make sure that any bugs related to the new place hierarchy
> are fixed.  I'll also try and fix some of the NoneType errors.

Don't know if you already saw them ,but I opened a few place bugs after
my first experience with 4.1 a few weeks ago:

I think I did apply the place tag to them all although I wasn't always
sure which component to raise them in.

I also just added a comment to another one based on some things I've
observed while going through tidying up my places in the new scheme.

I wasn't entirely sure whether to make that a new bug or not as my
experience seems to be at odds with the original reporter!

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

All,

I just checked https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8118 and
found the same code in master. Can this be added to the 4.1.1 road map,
and be back ported to 3.4?

I also noticed that there is no road map for 3.4.9 in Mantis anymore. Is
that on purpose?

regards,

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

jerome
Ah, yes, I moved some bug reports (most) from 3.4.9 and 4.0.5 roadmaps
to unstable, which also has its roadmap.

Why?

Because I do not think there will be a 4.0.5 ...
and because issues not yet fixed and reported on
3.4.x might still be often present on master/gramps41/gramps40 !

Yesterday, I just backported a minor fix from to
master -> 41 -> 40 -> to 34.

Except some specific issues (eg, around place hierarchy or gtk3),
we should find common issues from 34 to master!

The second reason was that since we set '3.4.9', we already changed
planned release date many times. So, I set 2014-12-31
for knowing that we could release '3.4.9' and we should not focus on
too many stable branches. We could release '3.4.9', today, if need,
but I suppose we could also backport to 3.4 some others fixes once
reviewed;
eg. via others stable branches !

To backport fixes to 3.4.x seem more easy than checking and looking at
40/41/master branches after fixing one issue on 3.4.x branch.
Like pointed out with your sample (#8118).

If you want, I can move these bug reports again to a "3.4.9" roadmap?
They are still grouped, but under:
https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=53

regards,
Jérôme

Le jeu. 16 oct. 2014 at 0:29, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> All,
>
> I just checked https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8118 and
> found the same code in master. Can this be added to the 4.1.1 road
> map,
> and be back ported to 3.4?
>
> I also noticed that there is no road map for 3.4.9 in Mantis anymore.
> Is
> that on purpose?
>
> regards,
>
> Enno

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

enno
Jerome,
> Ah, yes, I moved some bug reports (most) from 3.4.9 and 4.0.5 roadmaps
> to unstable, which also has its roadmap.
>
> Why?
>
> Because I do not think there will be a 4.0.5 ...
> and because issues not yet fixed and reported on 3.4.x might still be
> often present on master/gramps41/gramps40 !
Ah, thanks. That makes sense. I already noticed that 0 % of the 3.4.9
road map was solved, and also saw the unstable section.
> Yesterday, I just backported a minor fix from to master -> 41 -> 40 ->
> to 34.
>
> Except some specific issues (eg, around place hierarchy or gtk3),
> we should find common issues from 34 to master!
True. There may be more issues with international characters in paths,
and in most cases they apply to all versions.
> To backport fixes to 3.4.x seem more easy than checking and looking at
> 40/41/master branches after fixing one issue on 3.4.x branch.
> Like pointed out with your sample (#8118).
>
> If you want, I can move these bug reports again to a "3.4.9" roadmap?
> They are still grouped, but under:
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=53
H'm, yes. I plan to stick to 3.4 myself for a while, because of gtk3,
and I think that nasty errors blocking repair and such should be
repaired indeed, which implies that I think that there must be a 3.4.9
some time. But for myself, there's no hurry, because I have no
international characters in my database path, and the current dev
version is stable enough for me. That is of course the selfish way, and
I don't know how many patches we already have since 3.4.8. Is there a
quick way to find out?

regards,

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

jerome
Enno,

$ git log

145/5 => 25 < n commits < 29

Most around translations.
Paul and John have commited some fixes.
Some contributions around gedcom.

$ git show 123456
$ git show abcdef

> I don't know how many patches we already have since 3.4.8. Is there a
> quick way to find out?
>
> regards,
>
> Enno

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

I started to list changes since 4.1.0.
Any help is welcome. Resume will be the base
for the ChangeLog (tarball, blog, mailing lists, etc ...)

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Releases/4.1.1

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Template_talk:Releases/4.1.1

Two updated translations will also come (Serbian and Esperento). Note, it seems that Windows OS does not support Esperento (according to one comment on code).

regards,
Jérôme

Le Mercredi 15 octobre 2014 18h50, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On 15/10/14 16:57, Ross Gammon wrote:
> I can see some movement on the 4.1.1 roadmap. Is there any chance of a
> release in the next week or so?
>
> Sorry to be a pain (again), but I have been a bit busy lately and the
> Debian Release Freeze is on the 6th November. To get 4.1.1 in Debian
> Jessie would require an upload to Debian unstable 10 days before (approx
> 26th Oct).

Thanks for letting us know.  Perhaps we should aim for a release on the
23rd October.

I'd like to make sure that any bugs related to the new place hierarchy
are fixed.  I'll also try and fix some of the NoneType errors.

Just a small thing Jérôme, The usual spelling is Esperanto. hth :)

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

wakou
On 22/10/14 19:14, jerome [via GRAMPS] wrote:

> Two updated translations will also come (Serbian and Esperento). Note,
> it seems that Windows OS does not support Esperento (according to one
> comment on code).
>

> regards,
> Jérôme

Just a small thing Jérôme, The usual spelling is 'Esperanto'. hth

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

I cannot get Wakou's answer back!
//#&$ê£ of webmail ...//

Anyway, it is right, I am wrong with the spelling...
Maybe because it sounded better with my version under my locale?

So, I made the mistake on log for revisions, but I will not make the mistake anymore (I hope). Thanks for pointing this out.
Unfortunately, my typo is not the cause of the non-support under Windows OS. Maybe a partial support under Windows 8?

http://www.esperanto.mv.ru/Ek/index.html
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/esperanta-klavaro/e2264bb4-b596-4fb2-a5d3-42d007d6b53c

Le Mercredi 22 octobre 2014 18h17, jerome <[hidden email]> a écrit :

I started to list changes since 4.1.0.
Any help is welcome. Resume will be the base
for the ChangeLog (tarball, blog, mailing lists, etc ...)

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Releases/4.1.1

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Template_talk:Releases/4.1.1

Two updated translations will also come (Serbian and Esperento). Note, it seems that Windows OS does not support Esperento (according to one comment on code).

regards,
Jérôme

Le Mercredi 15 octobre 2014 18h50, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On 15/10/14 16:57, Ross Gammon wrote:
> I can see some movement on the 4.1.1 roadmap. Is there any chance of a
> release in the next week or so?
>
> Sorry to be a pain (again), but I have been a bit busy lately and the
> Debian Release Freeze is on the 6th November. To get 4.1.1 in Debian
> Jessie would require an upload to Debian unstable 10 days before (approx
> 26th Oct).

Thanks for letting us know.  Perhaps we should aim for a release on the
23rd October.

I'd like to make sure that any bugs related to the new place hierarchy
are fixed.  I'll also try and fix some of the NoneType errors.

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

wakou
Sorry Jérôme, the list kicked me out for some reason, I could not post again...

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

Made a resume of changes, included on futur '4.1.1':

Gramps 4.1.1 (The "MachineThatGoes...Ping!", maintenance release)

7842: Fix custom place types in the place editor
Allow place type combobox to receive focus.
Store custom place types in the metadata table
7904: Fix place type for places without a main location
7911: Fix bug adding parent places to a new place
7915: Prevent user creating a cycle in the place hierarchy
7846: Avoid infinite loop when place cycle encountered
Prevent creation of a place cycle when merging
7856: Fix error when no place is selected
Check that a place has been selected when saving.
Use the standard place selection widget to be consistent.
This also implements feature request 7893.
8011: Fix backlinks code in place report
Backlinks for places can now also be places as well as events.
7931: Fix check and repair tool for empty placerefs
8015: Update location utilities to work with proxies
7839: Place report does not run
7902: Update place details gramplet
Add name, type and alternative names.
Locations are now displayed in a separate gramplet.
New place locations gramplet
7813: Add check for empty handle in gramplets
8103: Sidebarfilter gramplet does not fit well into People, Events or Media views
8096: Fix new event default type considering existing events with *default* role
7868: Rebuild secondary indexes after database upgrade
8014: Importing gedcom files containing multibyte UTF-8 characters fails
7861: Ahnentafel Report did not use Christening Date if no Birth Date
7739: [Narweb:] Missing webpage for media under some circumstances
8033: Fix narrated web report with gendex option enabled
Tweak to "default" CSS choice for the narrated web report
7882: Invalid link for Merge citation Help button
7883: Fix 'todo' gramplet
7837: Fix path when using drag & drop to add media
7836: Limit the number of generations displayed in the ancestor gramplet
7834: Export of a subset of the tree failed
7828: Fix issues in python3, and bytes-string mismatch with ICU
7258: Fix url/uri handling with non-ascii characters under linux and mac
8021: Fix name format on graphical reports
8012: Fix name format on textual reports
6934: Better GUI support for embeded custom attributes list on media object
8062: Better keys for search under linux shells (.desktop file)
8113: 'Unknown' person in detailed ancestor report can not be translated
7851: Translations don't show in many labels
Ensure python text domain gets the right encoding.
7276: Translate some punctuation marks
Various fixes around Geography and osmgpsmap
Allow gramplets to be displayed in the dashboard only
Update FSF address
Add Arabic-script, Islamic-date, Thai script, Married Name and more dates examples
Fix on czech date handler for calculated and estimated dates
Enhance Serbian date handler to handle Cyrillic dates
Simplify Canadian Ash Wednesday holiday
Re-enable Esperanto support (for non-Windows OS only) after a large review
New translation: Serbian
Various fixes in German and Czech
Updated translations: ar, cs, de, fi, fr, it, sv

https://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/changelog_page.php?version_id=36

We can make changes on:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Releases/4.1.1

I do not know what should be done with:
0007866: [Other] Crash on Ancestry.com .ged import; consistent. - feedback.
0008122: [Database] DB lock not checked when opening database from the recent dropdown - confirmed.
0008125: [GUI - views] Entries from the add-or-choose selector of Place/Source/Media/Note cannot be dragged away. - confirmed.
0007533: [General] Error in Session Log gramplet with no active person (Nick_H) - assigned.
0007844: [Database] Database upgrade fails if default media path is not set (Nick_H) - assigned.
0007905: [Database] A certain place object cannot be removed
(Nick_H) - assigned

On 23/10/14 18:00, jerome wrote:

> I do not know what should be done with:
> 0007866: [Other] Crash on Ancestry.com .ged import; consistent. - feedback.
> 0008122: [Database] DB lock not checked when opening database from the recent dropdown - confirmed.
> 0008125: [GUI - views] Entries from the add-or-choose selector of Place/Source/Media/Note cannot be dragged away. - confirmed.
> 0007533: [General] Error in Session Log gramplet with no active person (Nick_H) - assigned.
> 0007844: [Database] Database upgrade fails if default media path is not set (Nick_H) - assigned.
> 0007905: [Database] A certain place object cannot be removed
> (Nick_H) - assigned
>
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=36

I think that I can fix bug #7844 quickly.  Feature request #8057 also
looks easy to implement.  Everything else will probably have to wait.

When do you plan to do the release?  Have I got time to include #7844
and #8057 tonight?

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

jerome
Argh, I looked at remaining issues just before make the release.
I noted a temp workaround for #7844 and I supposed that #8057 needs more time for testing. After generating the ChangeLog, I saw a lot of fixes and changes already into '4.1.1'. I quickly patched the grampscli for the DB lock check, waited some hours if one translator wants to translate the message about the DB lock, then released '4.1.1' ... :(

Should we try to release a "4.1.1-2"?
# with changes on git tag (4.1.1)

Or plan to release a "4.1.2", on next weeks?

Jérôme.

On 25/10/14 08:25, jerome wrote:
> Argh, I looked at remaining issues just before make the release.
> I noted a temp workaround for #7844 and I supposed that #8057 needs more time for testing. After generating the ChangeLog, I saw a lot of fixes and changes already into '4.1.1'. I quickly patched the grampscli for the DB lock check, waited some hours if one translator wants to translate the message about the DB lock, then released '4.1.1' ...:(
>
> Should we try to release a "4.1.1-2"?
> # with changes on git tag (4.1.1)
>
> Or plan to release a "4.1.2", on next weeks?

There isn't any problem.  We will always have some unfixed bugs.  I
posted before I saw your post.

I don't expect another release soon.

Re: Gramps 4.1.1?

Paul Franklin-5
> Or plan to release a "4.1.2", on next weeks?

I would strongly vote for that.

Assuming some (GUI?) wizard can fix some of the bugs
on the 4.1.2 roadmap.

And some (DB?) wizard can investigate the pickle bug
I mentioned earlier (which may affect the gramps which
will be put into Debian Jessie, insofar as I can tell).

And perhaps even some translators do some recent strings.