Gramps 4.1 release

Nick Hall
Jérôme, John, Josip,

I think we are ready for the release.

Is anyone aware of any last minute issue that needs fixing?

There are a couple of Gtk bugs in Ubuntu 14.04, but there is nothing
much we can do about them.

There are two open merge requests (#10 and #11) for the Slovak translation.

http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/source/merge-requests/

Have they actually been merged into gramps41?

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

John Ralls-2

On Jun 1, 2014, at 7:16 AM, Nick Hall wrote:

> Jérôme, John, Josip,
>
> I think we are ready for the release.
>
> Is anyone aware of any last minute issue that needs fixing?
>
> There are a couple of Gtk bugs in Ubuntu 14.04, but there is nothing
> much we can do about them.
>
> There are two open merge requests (#10 and #11) for the Slovak translation.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/source/merge-requests/
>
> Have they actually been merged into gramps41?

If Jérôme is happy with the state of  the translations then I'm OK with a release. The users will pick up any regressions soon enough.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Josip
Dana 1.6.2014. 16:16, Nick Hall je napisao:
> Jérôme, John, Josip,
>
> I think we are ready for the release.

O.K.

> Is anyone aware of any last minute issue that needs fixing?

I did not follow development lately so i am not right person to ask :-(
I notice one thing (in Windows), gramps segfaults after closing detached
gramplet.

0x68e03065 in libcairo-2!cairo_surface_create_similar_image () from
C:\GrampsAIO4d2\bin\libcairo-2.dll
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x68e03065 in libcairo-2!cairo_surface_create_similar_image () from
C:\GrampsAIO4d2\bin\libcairo-2.dll
#1  0x70ed344c in libgdk-3-0!gdk_window_create_similar_image_surface ()
from C:\GrampsAIO4d2\bin\libgdk-3-0.dll

There is old cairo bug report 60519 with fix so i must recheck source
code i use to build cairo to see if it is applied already or not. But
this is cairo bug not gramps one and should not stop release.

> There are a couple of Gtk bugs in Ubuntu 14.04, but there is nothing
> much we can do about them.

What are those bugs?
In Windows i notice problem with rendering geography view only.
There was problem with horizontal scrollbars in other views but is fixed
in Windows AIO bundle.
I will use 3.10.x for bundle because 3.12.x have problems with
client-side decorations and require to much patch both in gtk and
cairo-git version.

--
Josip

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

No problem for me, except that I just need to remember to make my tax declaration during this week... :-/

It might be also useful to know all new features and changes on this new major branch and a possible name.

Otherwise, Nick would like to look at some specific issues related to last gtk3/GObject set of libs. So, we should delay the release of v4.1.

About regressions, do you want to release a beta version before the final release?

Jérôme

Le lun. 2 juin 2014 at 4:49, John Ralls <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On Jun 1, 2014, at 7:16 AM, Nick Hall wrote:
Jérôme, John, Josip, I think we are ready for the release. Is anyone aware of any last minute issue that needs fixing? There are a couple of Gtk bugs in Ubuntu 14.04, but there is nothing much we can do about them. There are two open merge requests (#10 and #11) for the Slovak translation. http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/source/merge-requests/ Have they actually been merged into gramps41?
If Jérôme is happy with the state of the translations then I'm OK with a release. The users will pick up any regressions soon enough. Regards, John Ralls ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field, this first edition is now available. Download your free book today! http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech _______________________________________________ Gramps-devel mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

On 02/06/14 18:21, Josip wrote:

>> There are a couple of Gtk bugs in Ubuntu 14.04, but there is nothing
>> >much we can do about them.
>> >
> What are those bugs?
> In Windows i notice problem with rendering geography view only.
> There was problem with horizontal scrollbars in other views but is fixed
> in Windows AIO bundle.
> I will use 3.10.x for bundle because 3.12.x have problems with
> client-side decorations and require to much patch both in gtk and
> cairo-git version.

Yes.  Those are two Gtk bugs I am aware of.

The rendering problem in the geography view can be fixed by putting the
views into HBox and VBox containers, rather than HPaned and VPaned
containers.  This fixes the width of the gramplet bars.  I don't want to
do this.

I attempted to solve the scrollbar problem by placing the TreeView in a
window wide enough to avoid scrolling.  I then put the container into a
scrollable window.  This was a workable solution, but it didn't look
quite right.  Again, this attempt at a workaround isn't really acceptable.

We could set the columns to have a minimum width, by using
set_min_width() rather than set_fixed_width.  This brings back the
scrollbar but the columns can't be resized.  The gramplets and some
other TreeViews are set with minimum width columns already.

The bug only affects people with small screens using Gtk >= 3.8.x.  A
workaround is to make the window bigger so that it doesn't need scrollbars.

I think that we need to wait for the Gtk fixes.

In the last couple of days we have had some reports of Gramps using 100%
cpu.  I thought that this might be related to the way we use custom
models in the list views.  It is possibly Gtk related, but maybe not.

I asked Jérôme to let me look at it before the 4.1.0 release.

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Josip
Dana 2.6.2014. 20:24, Nick Hall je napisao:
> The rendering problem in the geography view can be fixed by putting the
> views into HBox and VBox containers, rather than HPaned and VPaned
> containers.  This fixes the width of the gramplet bars.  I don't want to
> do this.

I would like to play with it. In which file they are?

--
Josip

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Nick Hall
On 02/06/14 20:05, Josip wrote:
>> The rendering problem in the geography view can be fixed by putting the
>> >views into HBox and VBox containers, rather than HPaned and VPaned
>> >containers.  This fixes the width of the gramplet bars.  I don't want to
>> >do this.
> I would like to play with it. In which file they are?

I can't find the code I was working on at the moment.

The modification is easy though.  Edit the gramps/gui/views/pageview.py
file.  In the build_interface method changed the HPaned and VPaned
widgets to HBox and VBox.  You will also need to change the pack1 and
pack2 methods to pack_start.

This fixed the rendering problem for me.

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

jerome
Is it not close to bug #7362 ? Also, I have a possible work around Gtk.AttachOptions.FILL for Date entry (field + date editor) into Filter gramplet,
which can generate a width extension under my config (means call scrollbar...). Only visible on People, Events, Citations, Media views: primary objects with Date field! I do not have the scrollbar issue, still using Gtk 3.6.

Otherwise, maybe a dev could quickly review:

* 7678_variable_assignments.patch (3,881 bytes) //bug #7678
* 7678_method_twice.patch (320 bytes)
* 7678_self.patch (3,242 bytes)
* 7678_undefined_variable.patch (5,945 bytes)

reported for 4.0.x , but I suppose not fixed on 4.1 too.

It was simple fixes for some "possible" coding error into code.
It did not fix all reported warnings and errors ([0.txt:4.txt], only sections where I thought that I was able to understand the idea behind the code.

Some typos have been already fixed into git (assignment, call module, etc ...).
Maybe to fix more of them, at least for 4.1.x, could fix some issues before one generates a bug report. They should have been grouped by type of error.
So, once we understand the type of error, fixes could be common.

Jérôme.

Le lun. 2 juin 2014 at 23:32, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On 02/06/14 20:05, Josip wrote:
The rendering problem in the geography view can be fixed by putting the >views into HBox and VBox containers, rather than HPaned and VPaned >containers. This fixes the width of the gramplet bars. I don't want to >do this.
I would like to play with it. In which file they are?
I can't find the code I was working on at the moment. The modification is easy though. Edit the gramps/gui/views/pageview.py file. In the build_interface method changed the HPaned and VPaned widgets to HBox and VBox. You will also need to change the pack1 and pack2 methods to pack_start. This fixed the rendering problem for me. Nick. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field, this first edition is now available. Download your free book today! http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech _______________________________________________ Gramps-devel mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

John Ralls-2
Jérôme, Nick,

A reminder: I'm leaving for Brussels less than two weeks. If you want 4.1 to have a Mac bundle before August, you need to release it very soon.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Nick Hall
On 14/06/14 15:02, John Ralls wrote:
> Jérôme, Nick,
>
> A reminder: I'm leaving for Brussels less than two weeks. If you want 4.1 to have a Mac bundle before August, you need to release it very soon.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

John,

I am happy for us to release v4.1 either today or tomorrow.

The Gtk bugs really require Gtk fixes.  We don't have any acceptable
workarounds.

The 100% cpu problem, which also exists in v4.0, will be difficult to
track down.  I can't reproduce it yet.

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

jerome
Nick,

Should I still release it[1]?
Today?

Is it OK for the content of the updated NEWS file?

commit [a1085d]..

+2014-06-
+Version 4.1.0, the "Name go in book", new major release.
+* GEP 006: Better Place handling
+* GEP 032: DB backend API
+* GEP 033: Abstract DB API
+* New Tags support on Event, Place, Repository, Source, and Citation
+* Source/Citation Data becomes Attributes
+* Add optional support for checksum on Media object
+* New place hierarchies model
+* By default, you can choose navigator modes with a drop down.
+* New Place editor
+* Enhanced MediaReference Editor
+* Some debug tools move to new gramplets
+* Better Python 3 support
+* New functions and widgets related to Place and Media selections
+* Enhancements on to_struct()
+* New methods on Date handlers
+* Better support on translation for inflection rules
+

Le sam. 14 juin 2014 at 20:02, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On 14/06/14 15:02, John Ralls wrote:
Jérôme, Nick, A reminder: I'm leaving for Brussels less than two weeks. If you want 4.1 to have a Mac bundle before August, you need to release it very soon. Regards, John Ralls
John, I am happy for us to release v4.1 either today or tomorrow. The Gtk bugs really require Gtk fixes. We don't have any acceptable workarounds. The 100% cpu problem, which also exists in v4.0, will be difficult to track down. I can't reproduce it yet. Nick.

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Nick Hall
On 15/06/14 12:16, Jerome wrote:
> Should I still release it[1]?
> Today?

Yes please.

> Is it OK for the content of the updated NEWS file?

2014-06-15
Version 4.1.0, the "Name go in book", new major release.
* GEP 006: Better Place handling
* New place hierarchies model
* New Place editor
* New Tags support on Event, Place, Repository, Source, and Citation
* Source/Citation Data becomes Attributes
* Enhanced MediaReference Editor
* By default, you can choose navigator modes with a drop down.
* Add optional support for checksum on Media object
* Better support on translation for inflection rules
* Full Python 3 support
* Some debug tools move to new gramplets
* New functions and widgets related to Place and Media selections
* Enhancements on to_struct()
* New methods on Date handlers

I have removed:

* GEP 032: DB backend API
* GEP 033: Abstract DB API

They are not implemented in v4.1.

I have changed "Better Python 3 support" to "Full Python 3 support".  We
should consider dropping support for python 2 in v4.2.

Are the navigator plugins available to all users now?  I thought they
were only visible to developers.

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

jerome
Old content was still on NEWS file when I generated the tarball and readme.rst...
(I made a local copy of gramps-4.1.0 tag !)

I will upload an updated readme.rst and tarball!

I had some problems by pushing local changes after having created a gramps-4.1.0 tag. So, after some mistakes (I had created a 41 branch...), I removed the previously 'gramps-4.1.0' tag! Now, I suppose that I need to purge or clean something under my local config because I am no more able to re-create the 'gramps-4.1.0' tag with the same name.

Otherwise, I did not bump to '4.1.1' version number on gramps41, but this can be done on 'gramps41' tag re-generation.

About the navigator plugins, it looks like that they were available as addons on gramps40 branch, then enabled by default on gramps41?

~/Gramps $ ls gramps/plugins/sidebar/*.py
gramps/plugins/sidebar/categorysidebar.py
gramps/plugins/sidebar/__init__.py
gramps/plugins/sidebar/dropdownsidebar.py gramps/plugins/sidebar/sidebar.gpr.py
gramps/plugins/sidebar/expandersidebar.py

$ cat gramps/plugins/sidebar/sidebar.gpr.py
..
register(SIDEBAR,
id = 'expandersidebar',
name = _("Expander Sidebar"),
description = _("Selection of views from lists with expanders"),
version = '1.0',
gramps_target_version = '4.1',
status = STABLE,
fname = 'expandersidebar.py',
..

Jérôme

Le dim. 15 juin 2014 at 15:22, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On 15/06/14 12:16, Jerome wrote:
Should I still release it[1]? Today?
Yes please.
Is it OK for the content of the updated NEWS file?
2014-06-15 Version 4.1.0, the "Name go in book", new major release. * GEP 006: Better Place handling * New place hierarchies model * New Place editor * New Tags support on Event, Place, Repository, Source, and Citation * Source/Citation Data becomes Attributes * Enhanced MediaReference Editor * By default, you can choose navigator modes with a drop down. * Add optional support for checksum on Media object * Better support on translation for inflection rules * Full Python 3 support * Some debug tools move to new gramplets * New functions and widgets related to Place and Media selections * Enhancements on to_struct() * New methods on Date handlers I have removed: * GEP 032: DB backend API * GEP 033: Abstract DB API They are not implemented in v4.1. I have changed "Better Python 3 support" to "Full Python 3 support". We should consider dropping support for python 2 in v4.2. Are the navigator plugins available to all users now? I thought they were only visible to developers. Nick.

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Nick Hall
On 15/06/14 14:59, Jerome wrote:
About the navigator plugins, it looks like that they were available as addons on gramps40 branch, then enabled by default on gramps41?

I wrote them as an experiment, but there was very little interest.

Do we want to support them?  If we make them available, then we can get some feedback from the users.

I don't mind if you leave them in.

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Josip
Dana 15.6.2014. 15:59, Jerome je napisao:
> Old content was still on NEWS file when I generated the tarball and
> readme.rst...
> (I made a local copy of gramps-4.1.0 tag !)
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/4.1.0/
>
> I will upload an updated readme.rst and tarball!

Windows bundle "GrampsAIO-4.1.0-1_win32_py27.exe" is at:
https://db.tt/WVLhGKqe

It would be nice to someone check it first.

--
Josip

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

enno
Josip,
> Windows bundle "GrampsAIO-4.1.0-1_win32_py27.exe" is at:
> https://db.tt/WVLhGKqe
In Windows XP, avast! quarantains gtk3-widget-factory, msgconv, msgen,
and msguniq.exe because of a suspected virus pattern: Win32:Evo-gen. I
may mark all as false positives, but want to check out things in Windows
8.1 first. I have Windows Defender installed there.

Your 4.1 looks good in XP, but scrolling is clunky. I have that problem
with 4.x in Linux too, so I suspect it's gtk3. It's one of the reasons
why I stick to 3.4.x on all platforms still.

regards,

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Josip
Dana 15.6.2014. 20:47, Enno Borgsteede je napisao:
> Josip,
>> Windows bundle "GrampsAIO-4.1.0-1_win32_py27.exe" is at:
>> https://db.tt/WVLhGKqe
> In Windows XP, avast! quarantains gtk3-widget-factory, msgconv, msgen,
> and msguniq.exe because of a suspected virus pattern: Win32:Evo-gen. I
> may mark all as false positives, but want to check out things in Windows
> 8.1 first. I have Windows Defender installed there.

gtk3-widget-factory is just show-off and can be removed for bundle
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/1b790f244ac3ca11682d89dfddc6405c290da01a1f49081340a52a7ad1be6c43/analysis/1402859334/

msgconv and/or others msg-tools will only be used if you want to
build/install gramps from source.
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/176242e0d493ab9b57ec551ec2b6151f58705ea70ed1188e57a07228f9926337/analysis/1402859992/#item-detail

> Your 4.1 looks good in XP, but scrolling is clunky. I have that problem
> with 4.x in Linux too, so I suspect it's gtk3. It's one of the reasons
> why I stick to 3.4.x on all platforms still.

I use mouse with laptop not touchpad and don't see anything clunky in
scroling.
Well it my be gtk3 issue but at list this windows bundle don't have
problems with horizontal scrollbar as linux does:-)

If people didn't try new stuff then there will no be gtk+2 and
gramps-3.x we will still be using old gtk
New gtk+3 together with cairo-master is looking even better and works
faster (sadly windows version is lagging as always so this bundle use
older one)

--
Josip

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Helge.Herz-2
I'll check it too. But because of some other request I think I'll need
until the the next week end.
- Helge

Dana 15.6.2014. 21:08, Hans Ulrich Frink je napisao:
> Looks fine on win 8.1 only geography is not fully displayed (see
> attachement)

It is know bug with newer gtk in all OS.
It will looks better if you disable sidebar and bottombar from view menu
or use:
Shift+Ctrl+R
Shift+Ctrl+B

--
Josip

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Josip
Dana 15.6.2014. 21:10, Peter Landgren je napisao:

> 2014-06-15 20:02, Josip skrev:
>> Windows bundle "GrampsAIO-4.1.0-1_win32_py27.exe" is at:
>> https://db.tt/WVLhGKqe
> I have done a short test. There seems to be problems with translation of
> glade files.
>
> Nice work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter

Thanks i see it now.
Notice that if you change
lib\python2.7\site-packages\gramps\gen\utils\grampslocale.py
line 481 from
   if not sys.platform == 'win32':
to line
   if not sys.platform == 'win32X':
then translation of glade files works so it must be something with
_win_bindtextdomain() not working.

--
Josip