Gramps 4.1 release

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

enno
Hi Josip,
> gtk3-widget-factory is just show-off and can be removed for bundle
> https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/1b790f244ac3ca11682d89dfddc6405c290da01a1f49081340a52a7ad1be6c43/analysis/1402859334/
>
> msgconv and/or others msg-tools will only be used if you want to
> build/install gramps from source.
> https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/176242e0d493ab9b57ec551ec2b6151f58705ea70ed1188e57a07228f9926337/analysis/1402859992/#item-detail
Weird, both lists show no detection by avast!. Maybe my signatures were
old, and these were not marked as false positives in my virus database
yet, or the other way around. I got not warnings in Windows 8.1.

>> Your 4.1 looks good in XP, but scrolling is clunky. I have that problem
>> with 4.x in Linux too, so I suspect it's gtk3. It's one of the reasons
>> why I stick to 3.4.x on all platforms still.
>>
> I use mouse with laptop not touchpad and don't see anything clunky in
> scroling.
I now discovered what it is. I test on my desktop, with mouse, and
normally click and hold my mouse at the bottom of the scroll bar to
scroll through the person view. That is slower in 4.1, but I now think
that is because the mouse auto repeat has a longer delay. That makes it
look clunky, but when I click and drag the scroll thumb scrolling is
fast, so there is no real speed problem, like I thought there was. The
auto repeat delay may be a parameter that can be set, and I can see that
file manager in Linux behaves the same. That also uses gtk3, and I had
to make the same settings.ini changes as you made to make it scroll like
the other apps I have.

Click and drag is not nice on a laptop with touchpad, so I hope we can
find a way to speed up that auto repeat for those.
> Well it my be gtk3 issue but at list this windows bundle don't have
> problems with horizontal scrollbar as linux does:-)
Nice.
> If people didn't try new stuff then there will no be gtk+2 and
> gramps-3.x we will still be using old gtk
Well, not personal, but until now, I don't really know what the
advantages of gtk3 really are. I am happy with the looks of Gramps 3.4
in Linux and Windows now, and look at gtk3 like I look at Brussels,
meaning that I don't know what it's for.

regards,

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Peter Landgren
2014-06-15 22:13, Josip skrev:

> Dana 15.6.2014. 21:10, Peter Landgren je napisao:
>> 2014-06-15 20:02, Josip skrev:
>>> Windows bundle "GrampsAIO-4.1.0-1_win32_py27.exe" is at:
>>> https://db.tt/WVLhGKqe
>> I have done a short test. There seems to be problems with translation of
>> glade files.
>>
>> Nice work.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Thanks i see it now.
> Notice that if you change
> lib\python2.7\site-packages\gramps\gen\utils\grampslocale.py
> line 481 from
>   if not sys.platform == 'win32':
> to line
>   if not sys.platform == 'win32X':
> then translation of glade files works so it must be something with
> _win_bindtextdomain() not working.

1. Well, translation is there but åäöÅÄÖ are shown with a red X.

2. Tried to start the person editor, Gramps crashes and I get two types
of messages on the console:
(gramps.exe:4004): Gtk-WARNING **: Invalid input string

(gramps.exe:4004): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to
pango_layout_set_text()

/Peter

--
Peter Landgren
Talken Hagen

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

enno
Peter,

> 2. Tried to start the person editor, Gramps crashes and I get two types of
> messages on the console:
> (gramps.exe:4004): Gtk-WARNING **: Invalid input string
> (gramps.exe:4004): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to
> pango_layout_set_text()

For every person? I see no such problem here, not for normal names, not for
accented e's, or umlauts.

regards,

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Peter Landgren
2014-06-16 14:42, Enno Borgsteede skrev:

> Peter,
>
>> 2. Tried to start the person editor, Gramps crashes and I get two
>> types of messages on the console:
>> (gramps.exe:4004): Gtk-WARNING **: Invalid input string
>> (gramps.exe:4004): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to
>> pango_layout_set_text()
>
> For every person? I see no such problem here, not for normal names,
> not for accented e's, or umlauts.
>
> regards,
>
> Enno

Yes, all persons I have tested.
The other editors works OK.
With the event editor I get a number of messages:
(gramps.exe:5916): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to
error parsing markup: Fel på rad 1 tecken 47:Ogiltig UTF-8-kodad text i
namne
t - inte giltig "St\xe4ng f\xf6nster utan att spara \xe4ndringar"

Regards,

Peter

--
Peter Landgren
Talken Hagen

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

enno
Peter,
> With the event editor I get a number of messages:
> (gramps.exe:5916): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due
> to error parsing markup: Fel på rad 1 tecken 47:Ogiltig UTF-8-kodad
> text i namne
> t - inte giltig "St\xe4ng f\xf6nster utan att spara \xe4ndringar"
Ah, ok, so it's not names as I thought, but sv.po. One would expect 2
byte codes here, not 1 byte Latin like I see above.

Wonder what German looks like on your PC. Above text has no accents or
umlauts in Dutch, so I didn't see any problem here.

regards,

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

Peter Landgren
2014-06-16 17:59, Enno Borgsteede skrev:

> Peter,
>> With the event editor I get a number of messages:
>> (gramps.exe:5916): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due
>> to error parsing markup: Fel på rad 1 tecken 47:Ogiltig UTF-8-kodad
>> text i namne
>> t - inte giltig "St\xe4ng f\xf6nster utan att spara \xe4ndringar"
> Ah, ok, so it's not names as I thought, but sv.po. One would expect 2
> byte codes here, not 1 byte Latin like I see above.
>
> Wonder what German looks like on your PC. Above text has no accents or
> umlauts in Dutch, so I didn't see any problem here.
>
> regards,
>
> Enno

Yes. In python:
… >>> a="Stäng"
'St\x84ng'
 >>> b=u"Stäng"
u'St\xe4ng'

German looks OK, but crash on person editor!

/Peter

--
Peter Landgren
Talken Hagen

Re: Gramps 4.1 release

enno
Peter,
> German looks OK, but crash on person editor!
You mean right when you open it?

I'm back in Linux Mint right now, but in Dutch Windows 8.1 I tried set
LANG and then ran gramps.exe from the 4.1.0\bin folder, and opened the
person editor. That worked ok in French, German, Norsk, and Swedish.

I did not edit anything, so there was no reason for Gramps to display
the Close without saving changes window that you referred to earlier,
but all 4 languages showed special characters in person editor tabs.

This makes me wonder whether it is something on your PC. Should I test
with making changes in the event editor to trigger anything?

regards,