Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

Sebastian Schubert
Hi,

I just found out that in the Gramps-4.2.1 tarball, all files use DOS end
of line characters. So far, tarballs used the UNIX convention and also
the git repo uses the UNIX convention. Is this change intentional? For
example, this breaks every patch (e.g. applied by distrbutions).

Cheers
Sebastian

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

Tom Hughes
On 16/10/15 20:12, Sebastian Schubert wrote:

> I just found out that in the Gramps-4.2.1 tarball, all files use DOS end
> of line characters. So far, tarballs used the UNIX convention and also
> the git repo uses the UNIX convention. Is this change intentional? For
> example, this breaks every patch (e.g. applied by distrbutions).

I noticed that as well because it broke the main "gramps" script on
linux as the CR seemed to be interpreted as part of the program name in
the hash bang line.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

On 16/10/15 20:12, Sebastian Schubert wrote:
> I just found out that in the Gramps-4.2.1 tarball, all files use DOS end
> of line characters. So far, tarballs used the UNIX convention and also
> the git repo uses the UNIX convention. Is this change intentional? For
> example, this breaks every patch (e.g. applied by distrbutions).

Try downloading from GitHub:

https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/archive/gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz

Only the SourceForge copy seems to have this problem.

Am 17.10.2015 um 00:17 schrieb Nick Hall:

> On 16/10/15 20:12, Sebastian Schubert wrote:
>> I just found out that in the Gramps-4.2.1 tarball, all files use DOS end
>> of line characters. So far, tarballs used the UNIX convention and also
>> the git repo uses the UNIX convention. Is this change intentional? For
>> example, this breaks every patch (e.g. applied by distrbutions).
>
> Try downloading from GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/archive/gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz
>
> Only the SourceForge copy seems to have this problem.

Here, the issue is that the link actually produces a
gramps-gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz ,
which even includes the folder
gramps-gramps-4.2.1.

This also breaks the automatic building of a package (e.g. from a RPM
spec file).

My aim is to update the openSUSE package with making as little changes
as possible. I need to have a download URL where to get the tarball so I
do not want to modify a tarball myself. Both, the sourceforge and the
github tarballs, seem to be a bit strange...

What is the official download URL for the package and is either the DOS
EOL issue or the gramps-gramps folder name intended to stay?

Thanks,
Sebastian

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

jerome
I wonder if I should not check my local git repository!
I moved to a new configuration after '4.2.0' release...

Is it possible that storing a git repository under an
old HD partition forces DOS EOL?

If need, you can build from git (or github) tag:
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/tree/gramps-4.2.1
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/tag/gramps-4.2.1
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/archive/gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz

The .deb was generated from tag.

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-devel] Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?
 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Samedi 17 octobre 2015, 9h04

 Sebastian Schubert wrote:
 >> I just
 found out that in the Gramps-4.2.1 tarball, all files use
 DOS end
 >> of line characters. So far,
 tarballs used the UNIX convention and also
 >> the git repo uses the UNIX convention.
 Is this change intentional? For

 example, this breaks every patch (e.g. applied by
 distrbutions).

 Try downloading from GitHub:

 > https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/archive/gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz
 >
 > Only the SourceForge
 copy seems to have this problem.

 Here, the issue is that the link actually
 produces a
 gramps-gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz ,
 which even includes the folder
 gramps-gramps-4.2.1.

 This also breaks the automatic building of a
 package (e.g. from a RPM
 spec file).

 My aim is to update the
 openSUSE package with making as little changes
 as possible. I need to have a download URL
 where to get the tarball so I
 do not want to
 modify a tarball myself. Both, the sourceforge and the
 github tarballs, seem to be a bit strange...

 What is the official download
 URL for the package and is either the DOS
 EOL issue or the gramps-gramps folder name
 intended to stay?

 Thanks,
 Sebastian

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

Note, the tarball was generated from a clean git copy.

It only includes ChangeLog file, then:

$ python3 setup.py sdist

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_for_a_release#Gramps_4.2.x_3

Rather related to my storage when generating the tarball...
Will try to generate a "4.2.1-1" after checking this DOS issue on my configuration.
Sorry!

Jérôme

 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Samedi 17 octobre 2015, 9h04

 Sebastian Schubert wrote:
 >> I just
 found out that in the Gramps-4.2.1 tarball, all files use
 DOS end
 >> of line characters. So far,
 tarballs used the UNIX convention and also
 >> the git repo uses the UNIX convention.
 Is this change intentional? For

 example, this breaks every patch (e.g. applied by
 distrbutions).

 Try downloading from GitHub:

 > https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/archive/gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz
 >
 > Only the SourceForge
 copy seems to have this problem.

 Here, the issue is that the link actually
 produces a
 gramps-gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz ,
 which even includes the folder
 gramps-gramps-4.2.1.

 This also breaks the automatic building of a
 package (e.g. from a RPM
 spec file).

 My aim is to update the
 openSUSE package with making as little changes
 as possible. I need to have a download URL
 where to get the tarball so I
 do not want to
 modify a tarball myself. Both, the sourceforge and the
 github tarballs, seem to be a bit strange...

 What is the official download
 URL for the package and is either the DOS
 EOL issue or the gramps-gramps folder name
 intended to stay?

 Thanks,
 Sebastian

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

Ross Gammon
On 10/17/2015 10:14 AM, jerome wrote:

> Note, the tarball was generated from a clean git copy.
>
> It only includes ChangeLog file, then:
>
> $ python3 setup.py sdist
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_for_a_release#Gramps_4.2.x_3
>
> Rather related to my storage when generating the tarball...
> Will try to generate a "4.2.1-1" after checking this DOS issue on my configuration.
> Sorry!
>

> Jérôme
No problems Jerome. But I would rather 4.2.2, or 4.2.1p1 (patch 1). I
suppose just replacing the tarball with a new one (and a note added to
the release notes about it) would be messy. But if possible - it would
be preferable.

The reason being that I think the distributions normally use the "-1"
for their packaging versioning (at least we do in Debian/Ubuntu).

Cheers,

Ross

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

jerome
I am reading advices for properly dealing with line endings under github[1],
but I did not had changed any attribute or any git config key!

Do you have DOS end-of-line characters on many files? all ?

[1] https://help.github.com/articles/dealing-with-line-endings/

 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Samedi 17 octobre 2015, 10h28

 -----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

jerome
Is it related to content of the '.gitattributes' file?

https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/blob/master/.gitattributes

 À: [hidden email], "Ross Gammon" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Samedi 17 octobre 2015, 14h58

 I am reading advices for
 properly dealing with line endings under github[1],
 but I did not have changed any attribute or any
 git config key!

 Do you have
 DOS end-of-line characters on many files? all ?

 [1] https://help.github.com/articles/dealing-with-line-endings/

 En date de : Sam 17.10.15, Ross Gammon <[hidden email]>
 a écrit :

  Objet: Re:
 [Gramps-devel] Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line
 characters?
  À: [hidden email]
  Date: Samedi 17 octobre 2015, 10h28

On 17/10/15 09:14, jerome wrote:
> Note, the tarball was generated from a clean git copy.
>
> It only includes ChangeLog file, then:
>
> $ python3 setup.py sdist
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_for_a_release#Gramps_4.2.x_3

I suggest the following changes to our release procedure:

1. Tag the release with the version number without the 'gramps' prefix.
Then the tar file should be created with the correct line endings and
file name.

2. Configure the SourceForge GitHub integration.  This will copy the
release files from GitHub to SourceForge automatically.

On 17/10/15 09:28, Ross Gammon wrote:
> No problems Jerome. But I would rather 4.2.2, or 4.2.1p1 (patch 1). I
> suppose just replacing the tarball with a new one (and a note added to
> the release notes about it) would be messy. But if possible - it would
> be preferable.

I have changed the tag from "gramps-4.2.1" to "v4.2.1".  The tarball on
GitHub should now be correct.

If this works, we can change the remaining tags.

On 10/18/2015 01:02 AM, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 17/10/15 09:28, Ross Gammon wrote:
>> No problems Jerome. But I would rather 4.2.2, or 4.2.1p1 (patch 1). I
>> suppose just replacing the tarball with a new one (and a note added to
>> the release notes about it) would be messy. But if possible - it would
>> be preferable.
>>

> I have changed the tag from "gramps-4.2.1" to "v4.2.1".  The tarball on
> GitHub should now be correct.
>
> If this works, we can change the remaining tags.

Sorry guys - just recovering from running out of hard disk space. It has
cost me my Sunday!

The Debian upstream tarball watchfile is still pointing at Sourceforge I
think. I will try the new tag and report back today or tomorrow.

Hopefully Sebastian (OP) will also confirm.

Cheers,

Ross

Am 18.10.2015 um 01:02 schrieb Nick Hall:

> On 17/10/15 09:28, Ross Gammon wrote:
>> No problems Jerome. But I would rather 4.2.2, or 4.2.1p1 (patch 1). I
>> suppose just replacing the tarball with a new one (and a note added to
>> the release notes about it) would be messy. But if possible - it would
>> be preferable.
>>

> I have changed the tag from "gramps-4.2.1" to "v4.2.1".  The tarball on
> GitHub should now be correct.
>
> If this works, we can change the remaining tags.

This looks good, thank you. I now use the URL

https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/archive/v4.2.1/gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz

in the RPM spec file. By doing so, the URL points to a file with the
same name that is actually downloaded.

On 10/19/2015 08:02 PM, Sebastian Schubert wrote:

> Am 18.10.2015 um 01:02 schrieb Nick Hall:
>> On 17/10/15 09:28, Ross Gammon wrote:
>>> No problems Jerome. But I would rather 4.2.2, or 4.2.1p1 (patch 1). I
>>> suppose just replacing the tarball with a new one (and a note added to
>>> the release notes about it) would be messy. But if possible - it would
>>> be preferable.
>>>

>> I have changed the tag from "gramps-4.2.1" to "v4.2.1".  The tarball on
>> GitHub should now be correct.
>>
>> If this works, we can change the remaining tags.
>
> This looks good, thank you. I now use the URL
>
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/archive/v4.2.1/gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz
>
> in the RPM spec file. By doing so, the URL points to a file with the
> same name that is actually downloaded.
>
> Cheers
> Sebastian

Yes same here. Tarball was downloaded and imported OK. Just building it
now & will probably upload tomorrow after some tests.

Cheers,

Ross

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Lundi 19 octobre 2015, 21h08

 um 01:02 schrieb Nick Hall:
 >> On
 17/10/15 09:28, Ross Gammon wrote:
 >>> No problems Jerome. But I would
 rather 4.2.2, or 4.2.1p1 (patch 1). I
 >>> suppose just replacing the tarball
 with a new one (and a note added to
 >>> the release notes about it) would
 be messy. But if possible - it would
 >>> be preferable.
 >>>
 >>
 >> I have changed the tag from
 "gramps-4.2.1" to "v4.2.1".  The
 tarball on
 >> GitHub should now be
 correct.

 If this works, we can change the remaining tags.

 > This looks good,
 thank you. I now use the URL

 > https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/archive/v4.2.1/gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz
 >
 > in the RPM spec file.
 By doing so, the URL points to a file with the
 > same name that is actually downloaded.
 >
 > Cheers
 > Sebastian

 Yes same here. Tarball was downloaded and
 imported OK. Just building it
 now &
 will probably upload tomorrow after some tests.

 Cheers,

 Ross

Maybe we should think on adding a Change Log file[1] to the git repository,
and update the content for the release[2]?

[1] https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html
[2] http://keepachangelog.com/

Cheers,

Jérôme

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

Paul Franklin-5
I really really wish whoever uploaded (or whatever) the
"new" gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz would have given it a name
which was different -- since it has a /different/ md5sum
and a /different/ length -- yet the exact same name.

So I think some (most? all?) of our downstream
packagers are going to be unhappy with us -- again.

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

Nick Hall
On 21/10/15 01:26, Paul Franklin wrote:
I really really wish whoever uploaded (or whatever) the
"new" gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz would have given it a name
which was different -- since it has a /different/ md5sum
and a /different/ length -- yet the exact same name.

GitHub produces the tar file for us from the tag.

The tarball has been renamed from gramps-gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz to gramps-4.2.1.tar.gz and also the top level folder within it.  The checksum and size will change as a result.

So I think some (most? all?) of our downstream
packagers are going to be unhappy with us -- again.

Both of the packagers in this thread requested the change and tested it before I updated all the tags.

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

jerome
We had "checksum/filename" problems in the past for Gentoo[1],
which used an hardcoded url.

Now, it seems that Gentoo still runs 3.4.x branch[2][3]!

Did not check other "Linux From Scratch" distributions.

[1] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Releases/3.2.4
[2] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/app-misc/gramps
[3] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=371324

 À: [hidden email]

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

Linux "Arch" is now building from github.

https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/gramps

 À: [hidden email]

Re: Gramps-4.2.1 tarball: DOS end-of-line characters?

Nick Hall
Yes.  They have only just changed for this last release.

We should email the maintainer.  I also notice that they could use the
new --resourcepath option in the setup script.

Nick.