Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases

Nick Hall
Devs,

Is everyone ready for us to release these now?

Re: Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases

John Ralls-2
Well, I am. I thought you were going to release 4.2.7 two weeks ago and 5.0.0b1 in two weeks. Splitting the difference and releasing both tomorrow works for me.

Regards,
John Ralls

> On Feb 7, 2018, at 8:51 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Devs,
>
> Is everyone ready for us to release these now?
>
> Nick.

Re: Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases - AIO.exe forms too?

dave.khuon@gmail.com

It would be nice, if you could also release the 2 versions in the AIO.exe form for Windows folk.  😊

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Well, I am. I thought you were going to release 4.2.7 two weeks ago and 5.0.0b1 in two weeks. Splitting the difference and releasing both tomorrow works for me.

Regards,
John Ralls

> On Feb 7, 2018, at 8:51 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Devs,
>
> Is everyone ready for us to release these now?
>
> Nick.

Re: Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases

Nick Hall
Well, I am. I thought you were going to release 4.2.7 two weeks ago and 5.0.0b1 in two weeks. Splitting the difference and releasing both tomorrow works for me.

The idea was to release both 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 at the end of January, but I didn't get any reply from Jérôme or Josip.  So at the moment we have no release manager and nobody to build the Windows AIO.  Any volunteers?

Since you are still available and Ross said that he would build the Debian package, we should probably still proceed.  I will release 4.2.7 today.

Paul Culley would like to include PR #512 (https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/pull/512) in 5.0.0-beta1.  Unfortunately there is currently a sizing problem on some themes.  So we may need to wait a couple of days for this.

On 08/02/18 08:55, Dave Khuon wrote:

It would be nice, if you could also release the 2 versions in the AIO.exe form for Windows folk.  😊

The Windows AIO packages are community maintained.  We normally co-ordinate releases with package maintainers, but I got no reply from Josip this time.

If he is no longer available, I will post to the list asking for volunteers to build the Windows AIO.

Re: Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases

Ross Gammon
Hi Nick,

On 02/08/2018 03:51 PM, Nick Hall wrote:

>> Well, I am. I thought you were going to release 4.2.7 two weeks ago
>> and 5.0.0b1 in two weeks. Splitting the difference and releasing both
>> tomorrow works for me.
>
> The idea was to release both 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 at the end of
> January, but I didn't get any reply from Jérôme or Josip.  So at the
> moment we have no release manager and nobody to build the Windows AIO.
> Any volunteers?
>
> Since you are still available and Ross said that he would build the
> Debian package, we should probably still proceed.  I will release 4.2.7
> today.
I am OK for this week and next week (although I will be travelling with
laptop next week). A few days between the two releases is fine by me, as
it gives me time to upload to Debian as well (which follows a more
rigorous procedure).

> Paul Culley would like to include PR #512
> (https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/pull/512) in 5.0.0-beta1.
> Unfortunately there is currently a sizing problem on some themes.  So we
> may need to wait a couple of days for this.

Cheers,

Ross

Re: Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases

So what does a release manager do?  Anything other than what is listed in https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_for_a_release?
Doesn't seem too hard, so I can volunteer if you need me to.
I think I can do the AIO as well, at least the 64-bit version, although it might not include everything Josip includes.

Let me know, otherwise I'll keep working on other things.

Paul C.

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 8:51 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well, I am. I thought you were going to release 4.2.7 two weeks ago and 5.0.0b1 in two weeks. Splitting the difference and releasing both tomorrow works for me.

The idea was to release both 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 at the end of January, but I didn't get any reply from Jérôme or Josip.  So at the moment we have no release manager and nobody to build the Windows AIO.  Any volunteers?

Since you are still available and Ross said that he would build the Debian package, we should probably still proceed.  I will release 4.2.7 today.

Paul Culley would like to include PR #512 (https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/pull/512) in 5.0.0-beta1.  Unfortunately there is currently a sizing problem on some themes.  So we may need to wait a couple of days for this.

Re: Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases

John Ralls-2
I’ll be at RootsTech from 26 February - 4 March. That shouldn’t be a problem as long as the delay on 5.0.0 isn’t too long.

That said, Tim Lyons wrote to me directly today saying that a test 5.0.0 Gramps.app I’d made for him a couple of weeks ago crashes on El Capitan, so maybe I’m not as ready for that as I thought.

Regards,
John Ralls

On 08/02/18 15:18, Paul Culley wrote:
> So what does a release manager do?  Anything other than what is listed
> in
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_for_a_release?
> Doesn't seem too hard, so I can volunteer if you need me to.
> I think I can do the AIO as well, at least the 64-bit version,
> although it might not include everything Josip includes.
>
> Let me know, otherwise I'll keep working on other things.

Paul,

Thanks for volunteering.

I think the wiki page is fairly complete.  In the past, the release
manager would run through the test plan, but this may not be so relevant
now.  For a major release, you would also have to announce a string
freeze for translators a couple of weeks before the release.

What I suggest is that I release 4.2.7 now.  This will allow me to check
the instructions.

Then I'll test and hopefully merge PR #512.

After that you can release 5.0.0-beta1.

Finally we can discuss the schedule for 5.0.0.

Re: Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases - AIO.exe forms too?

Josip
8.2.2018. u 15:55, Nick Hall je napisao/la:

> On 08/02/18 08:55, Dave Khuon wrote:
>>
>> It would be nice, if you could also release the 2 versions in the
>> AIO.exe form for Windows folk. 😊
>>
> The Windows AIO packages are community maintained.  We normally
> co-ordinate releases with package maintainers, but I got no reply from
> Josip this time.
>
> If he is no longer available, I will post to the list asking for
> volunteers to build the Windows AIO.
>
> Nick.

I will do 4.2.7 as soon as possible (tomorrow afternoon or at weekend)
but can't make any long plans.

--
Josip

On 08/02/18 22:11, Josip wrote:
> I will do 4.2.7 as soon as possible (tomorrow afternoon or at weekend)
> but can't make any long plans.

Thanks.  It looks like Paul Culley is willing to help if you don't have
the time in the future.

Re: Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases

John Ralls-2
Followup on Tim Lyon’s issue: I’m not able to replicate his crash in a MacOS X 10.11 VM and it looks to me that his crash report might not have been with the recent bundle I made for him. He hasn’t yet responded to a clarification request I sent him last Thursday. I don’t think we should delay the 5.0.0-beta1 release on that account.

Regards,
John Ralls

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 8:42 AM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ll be at RootsTech from 26 February - 4 March. That shouldn’t be a problem as long as the delay on 5.0.0 isn’t too long.
>
> That said, Tim Lyons wrote to me directly today saying that a test 5.0.0 Gramps.app I’d made for him a couple of weeks ago crashes on El Capitan, so maybe I’m not as ready for that as I thought.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>

>> On Feb 8, 2018, at 7:12 AM, Ross Gammon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nick,

>>> The idea was to release both 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 at the end of
>>> January, but I didn't get any reply from Jérôme or Josip.  So at the
>>> moment we have no release manager and nobody to build the Windows AIO.
>>> Any volunteers?
>>>
>>> Since you are still available and Ross said that he would build the
>>> Debian package, we should probably still proceed.  I will release 4.2.7
>>> today.
>>
>> I am OK for this week and next week (although I will be travelling with
>> laptop next week). A few days between the two releases is fine by me, as
>> it gives me time to upload to Debian as well (which follows a more
>> rigorous procedure).
>>

>>> Paul Culley would like to include PR #512
>>> (https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/pull/512) in 5.0.0-beta1.
>>> Unfortunately there is currently a sizing problem on some themes.  So we
>>> may need to wait a couple of days for this.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ross

Re: Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases

Tim Lyons
Administrator
John Ralls-2 wrote
> Followup on Tim Lyon’s issue: I’m not able to replicate his crash in a
> MacOS X 10.11 VM and it looks to me that his crash report might not have
> been with the recent bundle I made for him. He hasn’t yet responded to a
> clarification request I sent him last Thursday. I don’t think we should
> delay the 5.0.0-beta1 release on that account.

John, I didn't receive a clarification request from you. There might be some
glitch in our communication, because I originally emailed you direct on 28
Jan2018, and got no reply, hence following up by another direct email 8 Feb
2018.

The error I got (emailed on 28 Jan) was with the
Gramps-Intel-5.0.0-alpha3-2.dmg downloaded from
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/tag/v5.0.0-alpha3, I don't
know about any recent bundle made specially for me.

I have now downloaded Gramps-Intel-4.2.8-1.dmg from the Sourceforge release
place https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/tag/v4.2.8 and that
work fine for me!  It also seems it might resolve an intermittent glitch
with right click that I had on earlier 4.2.x versions - but I don't want to
speak too soon on that!

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Tim.

--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-Dev-f1791083.html

Re: Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases

John Ralls-2
Tim,

I replied immediately on the 28th and again on the 8th. I guess you’ve decided that I’m a spammer. ;-)

Anyway, I rolled a new 5.0.0 dmg for you to test, it’s at https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Unstable/Gramps-5.0.git.dmg/download.

Regards,
John Ralls

On Feb 11, 2018, at 3:58 PM, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:

John Ralls-2 wrote
Followup on Tim Lyon’s issue: I’m not able to replicate his crash in a
MacOS X 10.11 VM and it looks to me that his crash report might not have
been with the recent bundle I made for him. He hasn’t yet responded to a
clarification request I sent him last Thursday. I don’t think we should
delay the 5.0.0-beta1 release on that account.

John, I didn't receive a clarification request from you. There might be some
glitch in our communication, because I originally emailed you direct on 28
Jan2018, and got no reply, hence following up by another direct email 8 Feb
2018.

The error I got (emailed on 28 Jan) was with the
Gramps-Intel-5.0.0-alpha3-2.dmg downloaded from
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/tag/v5.0.0-alpha3, I don't
know about any recent bundle made specially for me.

I have now downloaded Gramps-Intel-4.2.8-1.dmg from the Sourceforge release
place https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/tag/v4.2.8 and that
work fine for me!  It also seems it might resolve an intermittent glitch
with right click that I had on earlier 4.2.x versions - but I don't want to
speak too soon on that!

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Tim.

--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-Dev-f1791083.html

Re: Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases

Tim Lyons
Administrator
John Ralls-2 wrote
> Tim,
>
> I replied immediately on the 28th and again on the 8th. I guess you’ve
> decided that I’m a spammer. ;-)
>
> Anyway, I rolled a new 5.0.0 dmg for you to test, it’s at
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Unstable/Gramps-5.0.git.dmg/download
> &lt;https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Unstable/Gramps-5.0.git.dmg/download&gt;.

Yes, gmail put your emails in spam! Sorry I didn't think of that. I thought
you were in 'My Contacts', but apparently only for one of my email addresses
- fixed now. I have now retrieved your emails.

Your Gramps-5.0.git.dmg/download starts up OK, but the Python Gramplet
doesn't load (see below), and there is an error in the Gramplet bar widget
(see below), this seems to mean that none of the gramplets load into the
bottom bar or the sidebar. Restore default gramplets also doesn't work

Probably none of these are problems with the packaging, but the gramplets
problems look important.

Otherwise, on a VERY quick look, it seems to be OK with importing a gramps
backup using the default BSDDB backend.

Thanks very much for providing this version.

Regards,
Tim.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/Volumes/Gramps-5.0.0beta1/Gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py",
line 1026, in __create_page
    page_display = page.get_display()
  File
"/Volumes/Gramps-5.0.0beta1/Gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/gui/views/pageview.py",
line 406, in get_display
    self.top = self.build_interface()
  File
"/Volumes/Gramps-5.0.0beta1/Gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/plugins/view/dashboardview.py",
line 64, in build_interface
    top = self.build_widget()
  File
"/Volumes/Gramps-5.0.0beta1/Gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/plugins/view/dashboardview.py",
line 75, in build_widget
    self.dbstate, self.uistate)
  File
"/Volumes/Gramps-5.0.0beta1/Gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/gui/widgets/grampletpane.py",
line 1060, in __init__
    self.dbstate, self.uistate)
  File
"/Volumes/Gramps-5.0.0beta1/Gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/gui/widgets/grampletpane.py",
line 177, in make_requested_gramplet
    getattr(module, opts["content"])(gui)
  File
"/Volumes/Gramps-5.0.0beta1/Gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/gen/plug/_gramplet.py",
line 77, in __init__
    self.post_init()
  File "/Users/tim/Library/Application
Support/gramps/gramps50/plugins/PythonGramplet/PythonGramplet.py", line 70,
in post_init
    self.disconnect("active-changed")
  File
"/Volumes/Gramps-5.0.0beta1/Gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/gen/plug/_gramplet.py",
line 447, in disconnect
    raise AttributeError("unknown signal: '%s'" % signal)
AttributeError: unknown signal: 'active-changed'

--------------------------

311622: ERROR: grampsapp.py: line 143: Unhandled exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/Volumes/Gramps-5.0.0beta1/Gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/gui/widgets/grampletbar.py",
line 487, in __button_clicked
    nav_type = self.pageview.navigation_type()
AttributeError: 'DummyPage' object has no attribute 'navigation_type'

--------------------------

--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-Dev-f1791083.html

Re: Gramps 4.2.7 and 5.0.0-beta1 releases

John Ralls-2

> On Feb 12, 2018, at 3:21 AM, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John Ralls-2 wrote
>> Tim,
>>
>> I replied immediately on the 28th and again on the 8th. I guess you’ve
>> decided that I’m a spammer. ;-)
>>
>> Anyway, I rolled a new 5.0.0 dmg for you to test, it’s at
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Unstable/Gramps-5.0.git.dmg/download
>> &lt;https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Unstable/Gramps-5.0.git.dmg/download&gt;.
>
> Yes, gmail put your emails in spam! Sorry I didn't think of that. I thought
> you were in 'My Contacts', but apparently only for one of my email addresses
> - fixed now. I have now retrieved your emails.
>
> Your Gramps-5.0.git.dmg/download starts up OK, but the Python Gramplet
> doesn't load (see below), and there is an error in the Gramplet bar widget
> (see below), this seems to mean that none of the gramplets load into the
> bottom bar or the sidebar. Restore default gramplets also doesn't work
>
> Probably none of these are problems with the packaging, but the gramplets
> problems look important.
>
> Otherwise, on a VERY quick look, it seems to be OK with importing a gramps
> backup using the default BSDDB backend.
>
> Thanks very much for providing this version.

I agree that they don’t look like packaging errors, so they need bug reports.

Regards,
John Ralls