Gramps 5.0.0 released

Nick Hall
Version 5.0.0, a new major release, has been released.

Make sure to backup before you upgrade.

See:
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_backup

Changes since 5.0.0-rc1:

* Correct binary test logic for primary mask.
* Fix BaseSelector to avoid long delay before display on large trees.
* Export options > Gui alignment issue.
* Fix dialog button order on non-Mac systems.
* Update Debian directory after Gramps 5.0.0-rc1 release.
* Fix Custom filter update when created via sidebar.
* Fix Gramplet configure (View/Configure) for large options.
* Fix IndexError crash in Statistics Charts.
* [Mac] Change accel for Undo History. So that it doesn't conflict with a
    system binding for hiding the window.
* Fix Family Lines/Family Colors picker for bad transient parent.
* Fix import_as_dict to utilize user gramps_id prefixes.
* Fix error when opening bsddb db in read-only mode.
* Fix dbapi dbs for closeing read-only db crash.
* Fix menus when operating with read-only db.
* Fix Name formats to show all parts.
* Fix dialogs for crash when canceling via 'x'.
* Remove obsolete omeat-python-modules dependencies.
* Update translations: cs, da, de, en_GB, eo, fi, hu, is, it, nb, pt_BR,
ru, sk, uk, vi

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Ron Johnson

Can the deb package be installed in parallel with the 4.2 package (like
python3 and python27 can be installed simultaneously)?  That would make it
really handy to test/use 5.0 while still having 4.2 readily available.

The 5.0 installer would probably have to ask you where you want it
installed, and whether you want to migrate existing trees.

On 07/24/2018 10:54 AM, Nick Hall wrote:

> Version 5.0.0, a new major release, has been released.
>
> Make sure to backup before you upgrade.
>
> See: https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_backup
>
> Changes since 5.0.0-rc1:
>
> * Correct binary test logic for primary mask.
> * Fix BaseSelector to avoid long delay before display on large trees.
> * Export options > Gui alignment issue.
> * Fix dialog button order on non-Mac systems.
> * Update Debian directory after Gramps 5.0.0-rc1 release.
> * Fix Custom filter update when created via sidebar.
> * Fix Gramplet configure (View/Configure) for large options.
> * Fix IndexError crash in Statistics Charts.
> * [Mac] Change accel for Undo History. So that it doesn't conflict with a
>    system binding for hiding the window.
> * Fix Family Lines/Family Colors picker for bad transient parent.
> * Fix import_as_dict to utilize user gramps_id prefixes.
> * Fix error when opening bsddb db in read-only mode.
> * Fix dbapi dbs for closeing read-only db crash.
> * Fix menus when operating with read-only db.
> * Fix Name formats to show all parts.
> * Fix dialogs for crash when canceling via 'x'.
> * Remove obsolete omeat-python-modules dependencies.
> * Update translations: cs, da, de, en_GB, eo, fi, hu, is, it, nb, pt_BR,
> ru, sk, uk, vi

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

On 24/07/2018 16:54, Nick Hall wrote:
> Version 5.0.0, a new major release, has been released.

When may we expect a Windows version, please?

David Lynch

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Per Starbäck
This sounds great, but it would be really good if the announcement
mentioned major changes since Gramps 4(.2.8) and not just the minor
changes since the release candidate.
Surely most peole reading the announcement haven't been following
pre-release versions.

> Can the deb package be installed in parallel with the 4.2 package (like
> python3 and python27 can be installed simultaneously)?  That would make it
> really handy to test/use 5.0 while still having 4.2 readily available.
>
> The 5.0 installer would probably have to ask you where you want it
> installed, and whether you want to migrate existing trees.
>

> On 07/24/2018 10:54 AM, Nick Hall wrote:
>>
>> Version 5.0.0, a new major release, has been released.
>>
>> Make sure to backup before you upgrade.
>>
>> See:
>> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_backup
>>
>> Changes since 5.0.0-rc1:
>>
>> * Correct binary test logic for primary mask.
>> * Fix BaseSelector to avoid long delay before display on large trees.
>> * Export options > Gui alignment issue.
>> * Fix dialog button order on non-Mac systems.
>> * Update Debian directory after Gramps 5.0.0-rc1 release.
>> * Fix Custom filter update when created via sidebar.
>> * Fix Gramplet configure (View/Configure) for large options.
>> * Fix IndexError crash in Statistics Charts.
>> * [Mac] Change accel for Undo History. So that it doesn't conflict with a
>>    system binding for hiding the window.
>> * Fix Family Lines/Family Colors picker for bad transient parent.
>> * Fix import_as_dict to utilize user gramps_id prefixes.
>> * Fix error when opening bsddb db in read-only mode.
>> * Fix dbapi dbs for closeing read-only db crash.
>> * Fix menus when operating with read-only db.
>> * Fix Name formats to show all parts.
>> * Fix dialogs for crash when canceling via 'x'.
>> * Remove obsolete omeat-python-modules dependencies.
>> * Update translations: cs, da, de, en_GB, eo, fi, hu, is, it, nb, pt_BR,
>> ru, sk, uk, vi
>

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

victorengel
Agreed

On 24/07/18 17:30, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Can the deb package be installed in parallel with the 4.2 package
> (like python3 and python27 can be installed simultaneously)?

No.

It is possible run v5.0 from source or use disutils to install it to a
different location.  Only attempt this if you know what you are doing.

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Simon C. Tremblay
Thanks to all the dev for all your work.

Agreed to that a list of major changes would be helpful in getting us excited and deciding if and when we want to upgrade to the latest and greatest version.

Also, the release notes (even on the bugtracker Change Log view) shows only fixes, not new features...

Simon

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 at 12:42, Victor Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Agreed

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 11:39 AM Per Starbäck <[hidden email]> wrote:
This sounds great, but it would be really good if the announcement
mentioned major changes since Gramps 4(.2.8) and not just the minor
changes since the release candidate.
Surely most peole reading the announcement haven't been following
pre-release versions.

> On 07/24/2018 10:54 AM, Nick Hall wrote:
>>
>> Version 5.0.0, a new major release, has been released.
>>
>> Make sure to backup before you upgrade.
>>
>> See:
>> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_backup
>>
>> Changes since 5.0.0-rc1:

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

On 24/07/18 17:38, Per Starbäck wrote:
> This sounds great, but it would be really good if the announcement
> mentioned major changes since Gramps 4(.2.8) and not just the minor
> changes since the release candidate.
> Surely most peole reading the announcement haven't been following
> pre-release versions.

I agree, but it is difficult to compile a list of major changes for the
NEWS file or commit history.  You can see all the changes for yourself here:

https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/blob/maintenance/gramps50/NEWS

There should be a summary of major changes in the "What's new?" section
of the manual, but I see that it hasn't been updated.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_What%27s_new%3F

I'll try to give you a list based on what I can remember.

1. The biggest change is that you can now choose to use alternative
database backends.  BSDDB is still the default, but Sqlite is now
available.  For power users, PostgreSql and MongoDB are available as
experimental third-party addons.

2. There is a new 2-way fan chart view.

3. New colour schemes allow a light and dark choice.

4. There are some new report options:  date format, place format and
privacy.

5. The Re-order IDs tool has been enhanced.

6. Enhancements to geography and places.  Support for kml files. Ability
to cut & paste co-ordinates into the place editor.

7. There is a new tree report category.  This was experimental in v4.2.8.

Plus numerous bug fixes and translation updates of course.

I hope that helps.  Maybe some of the other developers can add some more
detail.

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

The ChangeLog has more comprehensive list of changes on a release-by-release basis.

https://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/changelog_page.php

Please remember that the most complete information is normally available through the Gramps-Project.org website. These maillist postings only go out to the people subscribed. So extra time spent building comprehensive messages may not be justifiable.

Hopefully people how get go answers show their appreciation by rolling up all the info from all the respondents and expanding the Wiki.

If a posting whets your appetite for information about a feature or Gramps announcement, check the site first.

The people doing doing development are volunteering their time. So we users of FREE software should be prepared to put in a bit more effort than users of commercial products.

I, for one, greatly appreciate their effortsand have been looking for ways to help. So far that's been just a few bug reports... although I am working on a couple wiki articles.

 Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Gramps 5.0.0 released
 Date: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 11:38 AM

This sounds great, but it would be really good if the announcement mentioned major changes since Gramps 4(.2.8) and not just the minor changes since the release candidate.

Surely most people reading the announcement haven't been following pre-release versions.

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

"people how get go answers" => "people who get good answers"

Doncha just luv auto-correct?

 To: "Gramps-Users" <[hidden email]>, "Per Starbäck" <[hidden email]>

  Date: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 11:38 AM

 This sounds great, but it would be really good if the announcement mentioned major changes since Gramps 4(.2.8) and not just the minor changes since the release candidate.

 Surely most people reading the announcement haven't been following pre-release versions.

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Semperor Anonymous
That's the most important question! :-)

David Lynch via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 24. Juli 2018 um 18:51 Uhr:
On 24/07/2018 16:54, Nick Hall wrote:
> Version 5.0.0, a new major release, has been released.
When may we expect a Windows version, please?

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Peter Merchant
On 24/07/18 17:30, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Can the deb package be installed in parallel with the 4.2 package
> (like python3 and python27 can be installed simultaneously)?  That
> would make it really handy to test/use 5.0 while still having 4.2
> readily available.
>
> The 5.0 installer would probably have to ask you where you want it
> installed, and whether you want to migrate existing trees.

I am tempted to create a new user called gramps and install v5 for this
user. I would use dropbox to move the backup between users.

Peter M.

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

enno
Op 25-07-18 om 13:14 schreef Peter Merchant:

> On 24/07/18 17:30, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> Can the deb package be installed in parallel with the 4.2 package
>> (like python3 and python27 can be installed simultaneously)?  That
>> would make it really handy to test/use 5.0 while still having 4.2
>> readily available.
>>
>> The 5.0 installer would probably have to ask you where you want it
>> installed, and whether you want to migrate existing trees.
> I am tempted to create a new user called gramps and install v5 for this
> user. I would use dropbox to move the backup between users.
It won't work, because Gramps is installed in /usr/local/bin or some
other location that is shared between users.

To be honest, I don't really understand the reasoning behind a separate
install, because, if you have a decent backup, you can always go back to
4.2.8, and settings are written to a separate folder anyway.

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

On 07/25/2018 06:50 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Op 25-07-18 om 13:14 schreef Peter Merchant:
>> On 24/07/18 17:30, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> Can the deb package be installed in parallel with the 4.2 package
>>> (like python3 and python27 can be installed simultaneously)? That
>>> would make it really handy to test/use 5.0 while still having 4.2
>>> readily available.
>>>
>>> The 5.0 installer would probably have to ask you where you want it
>>> installed, and whether you want to migrate existing trees.
>> I am tempted to create a new user called gramps and install v5 for this
>> user. I would use dropbox to move the backup between users.
> It won't work, because Gramps is installed in /usr/local/bin or some other
> location that is shared between users.
>
> To be honest, I don't really understand the reasoning behind a separate
> install, because, if you have a decent backup, you can always go back to
> 4.2.8, and settings are written to a separate folder anyway.

You can say the same thing about python3 and python27...

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

enno
Op 25-07-18 om 14:21 schreef Ron Johnson:

> On 07/25/2018 06:50 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

>>> I am tempted to create a new user called gramps and install v5 for this
>>> user. I would use dropbox to move the backup between users.
>> It won't work, because Gramps is installed in /usr/local/bin or some
>> other location that is shared between users.
>>
>> To be honest, I don't really understand the reasoning behind a
>> separate install, because, if you have a decent backup, you can
>> always go back to 4.2.8, and settings are written to a separate
>> folder anyway.
>
> You can say the same thing about python3 and python27...

Except that for Python, the designers knew that the versions are not
compatible, and made sure that they are installed as separate programs.
You can test that on your own system, using the which command. On my
system this gives:
> enno@lmde-desktop ~ $ which python2
> /usr/bin/python2
> enno@lmde-desktop ~ $ which python3
> /usr/bin/python3
And further inspection of the /usr/bin/python* files gives:
> enno@lmde-desktop ~ $ ls -l /usr/bin/python*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       9 jul 20  2017 /usr/bin/python -> python2.7
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       9 jul 20  2017 /usr/bin/python2 -> python2.7
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3781768 jun 29  2016 /usr/bin/python2.7
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       9 jul 20  2017 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.4
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4476488 okt  8  2014 /usr/bin/python3.4
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4476488 okt  8  2014 /usr/bin/python3.4m
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      10 jul 20  2017 /usr/bin/python3m ->
> python3.4m
This means, that I have 3 different Python variants installed, and 4
shortcuts to link to them, which enable me to use python to run
python2.7, etc. etc.

Gramps does not work that way. On my system, it's /usr/local/bin/gramps,
and that's because I build and install my own 3.4. A standard install
from a .deb file will probably be made in /usr/bin, just like Python,
and many other commands.

This is how Gramps developers designed things, and there is no easy way
around that, unless you build your own, and tweak the install process.

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

pelm
Thank you all for the new major version! It would be good though to have the
deb package, tried myself to build it, but it failed due to various test
errors (Ubuntu 18.04 with all build dependencies). Ross Gammon please .

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Ross Gammon
Hi Ron,

No I am afraid this is not possible. The 5.0 files will install over the
top of the 4.2 ones. That is the way things work with Debian packages
unless a lot of work is done to make things co-installable.

You could run Gramps 5.0 from source, or use the source code to install
to a local directory. See the INSTALL file for details. Also the Gramps
wiki. You need to tell Gramps where the GRAMPS_RESOURCES have been
installed, as the Gramps code is not completely relocatable at the
moment. We just have it working in the usual places.

But this can be a recipe for disaster if you don't know what you are doing.

You could install to a local directory under another user (logout & log
back in as another user to play with the test version). Personally, I
would use another machine (I use Virtual Box for this all the time).

Cheers,

Ross

On 07/24/2018 06:30 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Can the deb package be installed in parallel with the 4.2 package (like
> python3 and python27 can be installed simultaneously)?  That would make
> it really handy to test/use 5.0 while still having 4.2 readily available.
>
> The 5.0 installer would probably have to ask you where you want it
> installed, and whether you want to migrate existing trees.
>
> On 07/24/2018 10:54 AM, Nick Hall wrote:
>> Version 5.0.0, a new major release, has been released.
>>
>> Make sure to backup before you upgrade.
>>
>> See:
>> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_backup
>>
>> Changes since 5.0.0-rc1:
>>
>> * Correct binary test logic for primary mask.
>> * Fix BaseSelector to avoid long delay before display on large trees.
>> * Export options > Gui alignment issue.
>> * Fix dialog button order on non-Mac systems.
>> * Update Debian directory after Gramps 5.0.0-rc1 release.
>> * Fix Custom filter update when created via sidebar.
>> * Fix Gramplet configure (View/Configure) for large options.
>> * Fix IndexError crash in Statistics Charts.
>> * [Mac] Change accel for Undo History. So that it doesn't conflict with a
>>    system binding for hiding the window.
>> * Fix Family Lines/Family Colors picker for bad transient parent.
>> * Fix import_as_dict to utilize user gramps_id prefixes.
>> * Fix error when opening bsddb db in read-only mode.
>> * Fix dbapi dbs for closeing read-only db crash.
>> * Fix menus when operating with read-only db.
>> * Fix Name formats to show all parts.
>> * Fix dialogs for crash when canceling via 'x'.
>> * Remove obsolete omeat-python-modules dependencies.
>> * Update translations: cs, da, de, en_GB, eo, fi, hu, is, it, nb,
>> pt_BR, ru, sk, uk, vi

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Op 25-07-18 om 17:38 schreef pelm:
> Thank you all for the new major version! It would be good though to have the
> deb package, tried myself to build it, but it failed due to various test
> errors (Ubuntu 18.04 with all build dependencies). Ross Gammon please .
Can you list those errors here? It built fine on my old Mint setup. Did
you try the instructions in the INSTALL file?

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Ross Gammon
Building the Debian package as I type. If all goes well in will be
available in the next hour or so.

On 07/25/2018 08:48 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Op 25-07-18 om 17:38 schreef pelm:
>> Thank you all for the new major version! It would be good though to
>> have the
>> deb package, tried myself to build it, but it failed due to various test
>> errors (Ubuntu 18.04 with all build dependencies). Ross Gammon please .
> Can you list those errors here? It built fine on my old Mint setup. Did
> you try the instructions in the INSTALL file?
>
> Regards,
>
> Enno

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Ross Gammon