Gramps 5.0.0 released

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Bryan S
Downloaded, installed and used. No problems whatsoever in any stage.
Very solid installation!

Remember to do your backups! If you don't do them, YOUR data is the only loss if you've made modifications to the previous programs and/or directories!!
The rest of us will be walking around with a new and shiny version 5.0.0 wearing a biiig smile!

A big thanx and congratulations to the development team!!!! :-D

On Wed, 2018-07-25 at 21:04 +0200, Ross Gammon wrote:
Building the Debian package as I type. If all goes well in will be
available in the next hour or so.

On 07/25/2018 08:48 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
Op 25-07-18 om 17:38 schreef pelm:
Thank you all for the new major version! It would be good though to
have the
deb package, tried myself to build it, but it failed due to various test
errors (Ubuntu 18.04 with all build dependencies). Ross Gammon please .
Can you list those errors here? It built fine on my old Mint setup. Did
you try the instructions in the INSTALL file?

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Hi All

Excuse me for being thick but what is the difference between the file in
the link below (I have read the changes since 5.0.0-rc1) and the one
shown in the link
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/tag/v5.0.0-rc1
that Sam put onto the email list on the 18/07/2018 other than the rc1

Is this now a final or should it be classified as rc2

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 25/07/2018 20:49, Ross Gammon wrote:

> The Debian package is now available:
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/tag/v5.0.0
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ross
>
> On 07/25/2018 09:04 PM, Ross Gammon wrote:
>> Building the Debian package as I type. If all goes well in will be
>> available in the next hour or so.

>>> Can you list those errors here? It built fine on my old Mint setup. Did
>>> you try the instructions in the INSTALL file?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Enno

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Nick Hall
On 25/07/18 23:00, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
> Is this now a final or should it be classified as rc2

This is the final 5.0.0 release.

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Bryan S
1. Go to Ross Gammon's post that it is released.
2. Click on the URL address for GITHUB
4. Install
5. Enjoy

On Wed, 2018-07-25 at 23:11 +0100, Nick Hall wrote:
On 25/07/18 23:00, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
Is this now a final or should it be classified as rc2

This is the final 5.0.0 release.

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Semperor Anonymous
Hey there.

As our first question seems to be ignored: When can we expect a Windows version? Who builds it and is help needed?

Kindly from Germany.
Hagen

Nick Hall <[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 24. Juli 2018, 17:58:
Version 5.0.0, a new major release, has been released.

Make sure to backup before you upgrade.

See:
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_backup

Changes since 5.0.0-rc1:

* Correct binary test logic for primary mask.
* Fix BaseSelector to avoid long delay before display on large trees.
* Export options > Gui alignment issue.
* Fix dialog button order on non-Mac systems.
* Update Debian directory after Gramps 5.0.0-rc1 release.
* Fix Custom filter update when created via sidebar.
* Fix Gramplet configure (View/Configure) for large options.
* Fix IndexError crash in Statistics Charts.
* [Mac] Change accel for Undo History. So that it doesn't conflict with a
    system binding for hiding the window.
* Fix Family Lines/Family Colors picker for bad transient parent.
* Fix import_as_dict to utilize user gramps_id prefixes.
* Fix error when opening bsddb db in read-only mode.
* Fix dbapi dbs for closeing read-only db crash.
* Fix menus when operating with read-only db.
* Fix Name formats to show all parts.
* Fix dialogs for crash when canceling via 'x'.
* Remove obsolete omeat-python-modules dependencies.
* Update translations: cs, da, de, en_GB, eo, fi, hu, is, it, nb, pt_BR,
ru, sk, uk, vi

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Nick Hall
On 26/07/18 18:53, Semperor Anonymous wrote:
> As our first question seems to be ignored: When can we expect a
> Windows version? Who builds it and is help needed?

I don't know when to expect a Windows AIO package.  You need to ask
Josip and Paul Culley.  The maintainers are listed on the Team page in
the wiki:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Team

Paul is travelling at the moment so I wouldn't expect the 32-bit version
very soon.

Perhaps we need some extra help.  Are you volunteering?

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released

Semperor Anonymous
Thank you for the information. If both are not available I can try to make the AIO (64bit) package. The articles in the wiki about it are really straight forward.

I will start to set up everything on tomorrow evening (CEST). Hope to have the package at the end of the weekend. :)

Nick Hall <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 26. Juli 2018, 20:50:
On 26/07/18 18:53, Semperor Anonymous wrote:
> As our first question seems to be ignored: When can we expect a
> Windows version? Who builds it and is help needed?

I don't know when to expect a Windows AIO package.  You need to ask
Josip and Paul Culley.  The maintainers are listed on the Team page in
the wiki:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Team

Paul is travelling at the moment so I wouldn't expect the 32-bit version
very soon.

Perhaps we need some extra help.  Are you volunteering?

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released - some initial reactions

J. Allen Crider-2
Just a couple of observations based on a few days of usage.  So far,
everything appears to be at least as stable as 4.2.8, and I've noted a
few changes that I like, such as the extra textbox for entering lat,
long as copied from various sources that don't always make it easy to
copy them separately, and the internet address editor remembering custom
types (now if I can just find all of the typos I've made in the past to
get rid of the ones I don't want).

The only negatives I've encountered so far are some of the changes in
the Narrated Web Site.  I haven't made up my mind whether I like the
changes to Event tables that move some of the columns to the next row,so
there are potentially two rows for each event. I suspect there is an
error in generating the notes for shared events that have individual
attributes.  For example, I was looking at the 1940 census event for my
grandparents.  The event appears on the pages for both of my
grandparents and the one child that is deceased.  On the page for my
grandfather, the note contains the shared attributes, the attributes for
my grandmother, and the attributes for my grandfather.  The page for my
grandmother only has the shared attributes and the attributes for my
grandmother.  The page for their daughter has the shared attributes, the
attributes for my grandmother, the attributes for my grandfather, and
the attributes for the daughter in that order.

But the biggest problem I have with the Narrated Web Site is the time
required to generate it.  I only include the full name for living people
and I don't include data marked private, but I don't filter anything
else.  With 4.2.8, it took between two and three hours to generate a web
site for my database (over 57000 people and over 8400 media objects that
are not marked private).  With 5.0.0 it took over six hours today to
generate the web site.  Obviously in the future I am going to have to
start the generation just before I go to bed and allow it to run
overnight if I want to be able to work on data whenever I have time
throughout the day.

Allen Crider

On 07/24/2018 10:54 AM, Nick Hall wrote:

> Version 5.0.0, a new major release, has been released.
>
> Make sure to backup before you upgrade.
>
> See:
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_backup
>
> Changes since 5.0.0-rc1:
>
> * Correct binary test logic for primary mask.
> * Fix BaseSelector to avoid long delay before display on large trees.
> * Export options > Gui alignment issue.
> * Fix dialog button order on non-Mac systems.
> * Update Debian directory after Gramps 5.0.0-rc1 release.
> * Fix Custom filter update when created via sidebar.
> * Fix Gramplet configure (View/Configure) for large options.
> * Fix IndexError crash in Statistics Charts.
> * [Mac] Change accel for Undo History. So that it doesn't conflict with a
>     system binding for hiding the window.
> * Fix Family Lines/Family Colors picker for bad transient parent.
> * Fix import_as_dict to utilize user gramps_id prefixes.
> * Fix error when opening bsddb db in read-only mode.
> * Fix dbapi dbs for closeing read-only db crash.
> * Fix menus when operating with read-only db.
> * Fix Name formats to show all parts.
> * Fix dialogs for crash when canceling via 'x'.
> * Remove obsolete omeat-python-modules dependencies.
> * Update translations: cs, da, de, en_GB, eo, fi, hu, is, it, nb, pt_BR,
> ru, sk, uk, vi

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released - some initial reactions (bug in reports for shared events)

J. Allen Crider-2
All filters have always slowed down the web site generation, but
something seems to have changed to make it even worse than in the past.
I've never included the statistics page.  For now, I'm only going to run
website generation overnight when I'm not working on the database.  The
three primary differences I've noted in the Narrated Web Site is that
the code has been restructured into a number of classes instead of the
single file in previous versions, changes have been made to improve
readability on small screens (the reason for the multiple rows I noticed
because I rarely view the website full screen), and a number of changes
to the GUI that are going to take some getting used to.

There is a more serious problem that actually affects a lot of different
reports that may be contributing to the time problem.  I've done more
work since I sent my initial e-mail, enough to convince me that it is a
problem that needs to be fixed, but I haven't dug into the code enough
to figure out where the problem is.  I now know that a number of reports
are getting the data wrong for shared events that have reference
information.  This especially affects census events created using the
Forms addon, but I've done a simple test case that proves it affects any
shared event with either notes or attributes in the Reference
Information.  I have so far found errors in the Narrated Web Site,
Dynamic Web Report, and Detailed Descendant Report (the only reports
I've attempted in 5.0.0).  I suspect it affects all reports that include
event notes and attributes.  The problem is that the reports for most of
the people that share an event include notes and attributes for some of
the other people that share the event (in the cases I've looked at so
far, the reports will only be correct for one of the people, all others
will have extra information).  Maybe correcting this error would help
reduce the time to generate the web site and other reports.  It would
certainly reduce the length of the reports and help readability.

I may do some more testing when I find time to see if there are any
reports that do not exhibit this problem.  Certainly, if there are any,
determining what they do differently would provide a way to fix the
affected reports.  If there are none, then that might provide more
incentive for tracking the problem down and fixing it.

Allen Crider

On 08/13/2018 11:13 AM, Paul Culley wrote:

> [...]
>      > * Fix import_as_dict to utilize user gramps_id prefixes.
>      > * Fix error when opening bsddb db in read-only mode.
>      > * Fix dbapi dbs for closeing read-only db crash.
>      > * Fix menus when operating with read-only db.
>      > * Fix Name formats to show all parts.
>      > * Fix dialogs for crash when canceling via 'x'.
>      > * Remove obsolete omeat-python-modules dependencies.
>      > * Update translations: cs, da, de, en_GB, eo, fi, hu, is, it, nb,
>     pt_BR,
>      > ru, sk, uk, vi
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>      > https://gramps-project.org

Re: Gramps 5.0.0 released - some initial reactions (bug in reports for shared events)

A follow up comment on the time to generate a Narrated Web Site:  If the
status dialog is accurate, at least half of the time is spent generating
the media pages. This is for a database  with over 57000 individuals,
over 100,000 events, over 7000 surnames, over 12000 places, and over
11000 media objects.  Only about 8500 media objects are included in the
web site as the others are private (mostly items I've downloaded from
other sites for my own use but only include links in the generated web
site) or for living persons.  I do not generate event or family pages as
I haven't found them useful in the past and including them would exceed
the inode limit my hosting service imposes on my account.