Gramps 5.0 and some missing reports

Matt Keenan
Hi,

Firstly a quick heads up for some folk moving from 4.2.x to 5.0.0 regarding reports :

I've been running stock 4.2.2 on Linux Mint 18.04 for some time now, and quite happy with it.

I saw the announcement of 5.0.0, and rather than wait for a few more releases decided to jump straight on the wagon and give it a whirl.

I uninstalled 4.2.2 (apt-get remove gramps), and then downloaded and installed the gramps deb package :
  dpkg -i gramps_5.0.0-1_all.deb

Upon restart everything looks great, then I noticed some missing reports like Family Tree & Pedigree Chart. I need to perform a "Check For Update Addons now" and updated versions were downloaded and installed. Now they appear as they did in 4.2.2 !

Now my queston, I'd love to be able to produce a compact Pedigree chart, say 5 generations on a single A4 sheet (landscape), This chart would effectively contain from starting person back to all16 Great Great Grandparents.

As of yet I have failed to achieve this in Gramps and I was hoping 5.0 might have improved things... I fear not, or I am doing things incorrectly.

1. Ancester Tree (Reports->Graphical Reports->Ancestor Tree)
   This comes close, however if you choose A4 Landscape, and uncheck Report Options
    "Resize Page To fit tree size", you get a report with 6 pages, even with "Compress Tree"
   checked.
   Checking "Resize page to fit tree size" does at it says and produces a single page PDF,
   which is somewhat large (Roughly A1 for me)

2. Pedigree Chart (Reports->Graphical Reports->Pedigree Chart)
   Now given the name I was very hopeful this would be the one.... but alas no.
   There's only options to choose paper size/orientation/etc, and how many generations.
    And for me this generated a report of 8 pages long.. again not what I was hoping for.

3. Family Tree (Reports->Graphical Reports->Family Tree)
   This one I like as it provides background colours for each of the generations which is neat.
   To get this working I set Centre Family as father of starting person, then set
   Descendant Generations to 1, and Ancestor Generations to 3. Bear in the mind the
   generated layout is the reverse of Pedigree Chart/Ancestor Tree, with older generations
   appearing on left instead of the right. But I'm ok with that.

   This will produce a single page A4 landscape PDF but the data is so scrunched together
   and the font so small it's not readable.

So ... Can what I want be achieved with Gramps ?
If not what do other folk do ?

thanks for your time and patience.

Matt

Re: Gramps 5.0 and some missing reports

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Matt,

The only Pedigree that I've found to print tightly enough is the one designed to be screen based: the Pedigree gramplet.

Open that Pedigree gramplet, right-click on a date (to avoid accidentally changing Active person) and choose Select All, right-click again and choose Copy.

Paste into your favorite Word processor, set the font to a non-proportional font (like Courier New) and reduce the point size to fit page width without wrapping.

In Word 2013, I have to tighten up the paragraph leading too. Otherwise, the vertical bars have gaps when printing. Create a Style in the default Word stylesheet if you send out a lot of Pedigrees. (I do also insert a Deep Connections gramplet report when contacting a new cousin.)

A few other tweaks help streamline the printout: trim out the generation completion report stuff at the bottom; find&replace my U.L.N. (Unknown Last Name) surnames with a lt.grey italicized different font.

The upside is that you can get a lot of generations on a single page.  Remember that there a Preferences item to limit the number of generations shown.

 Subject: [Gramps-users] Gramps 5.0 and some missing reports
 To: "Gramps Users List" <[hidden email]>

Re: Gramps 5.0 and some missing reports

Matt Keenan
Emyoylation,

Thank you for your reply and your suggestion, I must admit cut'n'paste of Pedigree Gramplet output was something I would have never thought of doing.

I would be quite cool of the code used for producing the output in that gramplet could be enhanced and a text/graphical report produced to mimic it's output.

Perhaps a project for someone with some coding time on their hands :)

Just a real shame Gramps does not already have an existing report that can achieve this.

thanks again

- Matt

 To: "Gramps Users List" <[hidden email]>