Gramps 5.0 maintenance branch

Nick Hall
Devs,

I suggest that we create the gramps50 maintenance branch immediately.
This should help concentrate our efforts on the release.

No more new features will be accepted for v5.0.

After the branch is created I propose a slight policy change:

* Only bug fixes are allowed in the gramps50 branch

* Only new features can be added to master

* The gramps50 branch will be periodically merged with master

This means that developers will no longer be responsible for copying bug
fixes into master.

Hopefully there will be some volunteers to help me clear the roadmap.
Then we can release alpha2 as soon as possible.

Re: Gramps 5.0 maintenance branch

Paul Franklin-5
On 5/10/17, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suggest that we create the gramps50 maintenance branch immediately.
> This should help concentrate our efforts on the release.

Fine with me.  Good idea, in fact.

> No more new features will be accepted for v5.0.

Fine with me.  But what about what might be classified as the
"pending" pull releases?  That is, ones which have been around
for a while, getting fine-tuned (and fine-tuned, and fine-tuned ...)?
Who will decide what happens to them?

> After the branch is created I propose a slight policy change:
>
> * Only bug fixes are allowed in the gramps50 branch
>
> * Only new features can be added to master

Both of those are fine with me.

> * The gramps50 branch will be periodically merged with master

Who would do this?  And how frequently?

> This means that developers will no longer be responsible for copying bug
> fixes into master.

Do you mean "developers will be prohibited" from putting their
gramps50 bug fix into master also?

And speaking of gramps50, you don't mention gramps42.
Will there be one last (e.g. 4.2.6) release?

> Hopefully there will be some volunteers to help me clear the roadmap.
> Then we can release alpha2 as soon as possible.

I haven't looked today, but from memory it seems to me there
are four classes of bugs in the "5.0.0" and "5.0.0-alpha2"
roadmaps.

One class are the closed bugs.  I assume they will stay in the
roadmap, as is.

One class are what might be called DB-API bugs.  I assume
you Nick will take care of all of them, either fixing them, or deciding
they don't have to be fixed, or by moving them to the 5.1.0 roadmap,
since I think you are the only active developer with that knowledge.

Another class are ones which have a "pending" pull release.  I
assume they will be committed and marked fixed.

The final class are ones which I don't think are urgent enough
to need fixing before this release.  In fact some of them have
been moved from "target" to "target" as the years have gone by.
I assume no harm would be done if they are all moved to the
5.1.0 roadmap (or taken off any roadmap, if that is preferable).

On 11/05/17 20:16, Paul Franklin wrote:
No more new features will be accepted for v5.0.
Fine with me.  But what about what might be classified as the
"pending" pull releases?  That is, ones which have been around
for a while, getting fine-tuned (and fine-tuned, and fine-tuned ...)?
Who will decide what happens to them?

They will probably wait until v5.1 now.

Re: Gramps 5.0 maintenance branch

On 11/05/17 20:16, Paul Franklin wrote:
* The gramps50 branch will be periodically merged with master
Who would do this?  And how frequently?

A senior developer.  Quite frequently, but depending on the number of commits.

This means that developers will no longer be responsible for copying bug
fixes into master.
Do you mean "developers will be prohibited" from putting their
gramps50 bug fix into master also?

Yes.

Re: Gramps 5.0 maintenance branch

On 11/05/17 20:16, Paul Franklin wrote:
> One class are what might be called DB-API bugs.  I assume
> you Nick will take care of all of them, either fixing them, or deciding
> they don't have to be fixed, or by moving them to the 5.1.0 roadmap,
> since I think you are the only active developer with that knowledge.

Yes, I will look at the DP-API bugs again.

As usual, we will attempt to fix all bugs on the roadmap, but some may
not be considered release-blocking whilst we may need to add others.

Re: Gramps 5.0 maintenance branch

Serge Noiraud-2

Le 11/05/2017 à 21:42, Nick Hall a écrit :
On 11/05/17 20:16, Paul Franklin wrote:
No more new features will be accepted for v5.0.
Fine with me.  But what about what might be classified as the
"pending" pull releases?  That is, ones which have been around
for a while, getting fine-tuned (and fine-tuned, and fine-tuned ...)?
Who will decide what happens to them?

They will probably wait until v5.1 now.

I think some of them could be accepted.  If they have problems, corrections could be applied to 5.1.
This is the best we could do to have them heavily tested.

Nick.

Serge

On 12/05/17 15:38, Serge Noiraud wrote:

>> They will probably wait until v5.1 now.
>>
> I think some of them could be accepted.  If they have problems,
> corrections could be applied to 5.1.
> This is the best we could do to have them heavily tested.

I have reviewed your PR #382.  It needs a few changes.

I don't use the narrative web report, so I am not the best person to
review PR #389.  Please feel free to merge it if you think it is ready.