Gramps 5.0

David Reitz
> The default implementation of Gramps' DB-API will use sqlite [7].
> Sqlite has a very robust file format [4], and uses SQL for accessing
> the data. This should provide a level of reliability and robustness
> of your trees not available before. Sqlite is one of the most used,
> robust application file formats in use today. You will also be able
> to use other SQL programs. We have preliminary testing for MySQL and
> postgresql.
>
> A1: No. Gramps data is hierarchical, and is stored in SQL as binary
> "blobs". However, much of Gramps data will also be stored in SQL
> fields and indexed. This can make the SQL database large, but fast.

Thanks for the updates, Doug. Integration with SQL is something I've been hoping for for quite some time. I am a heavy SQL user at work (I am currently updating several older programs that access our SQL databases), and at home. I used MySQL back in my college courses, but now use SQL Server exclusively at work and at home.

I am also working on a pet project using my gedcom and C# to run statistics on my gedcom. It's not a competitor to Gramps (hahahaha), but rather just pulls out more statistically-oriented information than Gramps currently offers. Like a lot of different totals on the people in my gedcom. But with my background in SQL and C#, I would be able to make amazing strides by accessing the Gramps SQL database...

David

Re: Gramps 5.0

Gerhard Killesreiter

Fwd: Re: Gramps 5.0

DS Blank

Re: Fwd: Re: Gramps 5.0

Gerhard Killesreiter

Re: Gramps 5.0

On 05/27/2016 08:32 AM, David Reitz wrote:
[snip]
but now use SQL Server exclusively at work and at home.

I pity you.  It's got a nice gloss and is full of point and drool, but simple stuff like wanting to manually choose whether to commit or rollback a transaction is impossible without first commenting out all the commands that you've previously run.  That's just crazy.
--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Fwd: Re: Gramps 5.0

DS Blank

Re: Fwd: Re: Gramps 5.0

Am 27.05.2016 um 16:48 schrieb Doug Blank:

> The queries run by Gramps and the queries you can run yourself may
> look very different. That is, for many queries you can do what you
> might guess. But yes, I think the SQL tables will change to be more
> "standard" over time.

I was more referring to the fact that currently some of the contents
of these tables is in python pickles. This makes that content rather
unaccessible  for SQL-only usage that David seemed to intent.

All of the objects are stored as Python-pickled binary objects, but all of the flat, single-valued fields are also stored as regular SQL fields.So all of the flat-fields are accessible from outside of Gramps and Python.

That infers that the same data is stored in two different places and so can get out of sync due to programming bugs.  (This is why the first three Normal Forms are so important to relational databases.)

I believe you wrote somewhere you are planning to change that, which
is great!

I think that we can make that more regular/relational. But that is to be determined.

Would you do it one object at a time, within the indirection layer that allows multiple back-ends?

But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if a normalize redesign weren't required.