Gramps 5 installation query

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gramps 5 installation query

Harvey Nimmo
I took the plunge and decided to upgrade to gramps 5.0.0 today. I am
using OpenSUSE Leap 15 and found Gramps 5 in the OpenSUSE "sebschub"
community repository.

The installation went smoothly with the exception of the PostgreSQL
1.0.2 plugin which failed. Does anyone know what I have to do to repair
that? Otherwise most of the features seem to work well.

Greetings
Harvey

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gramps 5 installation query

Michael Blackmore

I had exactly the same plugin problem  with an error message of:

"the following addons had errors:  PostgreSQL (1.0.2), Network Chart (0.0.12)"

and when I start Gramps I get

"The view Graph View did not load and reported an error."

***no error found, probably error in gpr.py file***

If you are unable to fix the fault yourself then you can submit a bug at http://gramps-project.org/bugs or contact the view author.

If you do now want Gramps to try and load this view again, you can hide it by using the Plugin Manager on the Help menu.

Each time.   Otherwise it works well - but like Harvey any suggestions of how to fix would be great (running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.0 in my case.)

Michael


On 07/28/2018 04:12 PM, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
I took the plunge and decided to upgrade to gramps 5.0.0 today. I am
using OpenSUSE Leap 15 and found Gramps 5 in the OpenSUSE "sebschub"
community repository.

The installation went smoothly with the exception of the PostgreSQL
1.0.2 plugin which failed. Does anyone know what I have to do to repair
that? Otherwise most of the features seem to work well. 

Greetings
Harvey

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsdm.link%2Fslashdot&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cf28e0350c742476014af08d5f4ca5ade%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636684072292293798&sdata=dQ3vMcZ5MYmYsodaLL2eIW4OHRDjZeaQEqRLRysl3JQ%3D&reserved=0
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fgramps-users&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cf28e0350c742476014af08d5f4ca5ade%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636684072292293798&sdata=3ryhMyQAc5o7qfT8mUqZ72BGQM6jF%2BG9HIrpRg7Rz9Y%3D&reserved=0
https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgramps-project.org&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cf28e0350c742476014af08d5f4ca5ade%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636684072292293798&sdata=cDT2eEWEvASA7PrlUtsyjOH2mq%2Bpt1pT1GuPlrt4MQ4%3D&reserved=0


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gramps 5 installation query

Nick Hall
In reply to this post by Harvey Nimmo
On 28/07/18 21:12, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> The installation went smoothly with the exception of the PostgreSQL
> 1.0.2 plugin which failed. Does anyone know what I have to do to repair
> that? Otherwise most of the features seem to work well.
>
You will need to install postgresql and the python bindings. What error
are you getting?

Nick.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gramps 5 installation query

Peter Hewett-2

------------------------
From: Nick Hall <[hidden email]>

> On 28/07/18 21:12, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
>> The installation went smoothly with the exception of the PostgreSQL
>> 1.0.2 plugin which failed. Does anyone know what I have to do to repair
>> that? Otherwise most of the features seem to work well.
>>
> You will need to install postgresql and the python bindings. What error
> are you getting?

Similar error here.
It came up after installing plugins.
"Installation Errors"
"The following addons had errors: PostgreSQL (1.0.2)"

This is a fresh install of Kubuntu 18.04.
I installed gramps 4.2.8 from Ubuntu repo, then removed gramps package
using apt, then installed gramps 5.0.0 deb file from github.

What packages should I install for postgresql and python bindings?

TIA

Peter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gramps 5 installation query

Peter Hewett-2

Thanks Sam

I also got this error:
Failed Loading View
***No error found, probably error in gpr.py file***

This appears to been fixed by adding goocanvas;
sudo apt-get install gir1.2-goocanvas

Thank you



From: Sam Manzi <[hidden email]>> Hi Peter> > Support details for
third party addon here>
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=PostgreSQL> > But if you
are not using that backend you should just be able to ignore the>
error.> > Kind regards> Sam> > On 29 July 2018 at 09:13, Peter Hewett
<[hidden email]> wrote:>> ------------------------>> From: Nick
Hall <[hidden email]>>>>>> On 28/07/18 21:12, Harvey Nimmo
wrote:>>>> The installation went smoothly with the exception of the
PostgreSQL>>>> 1.0.2 plugin which failed. Does anyone know what I have
to do to repair>>>> that? Otherwise most of the features seem to work
well.>>>>>>> You will need to install postgresql and the python
bindings. What error>>> are you getting?>>>> Similar error here.>> It
came up after installing plugins.>> "Installation Errors">> "The
following addons had errors: PostgreSQL (1.0.2)">>>> This is a fresh
install of Kubuntu 18.04.>> I installed gramps 4.2.8 from Ubuntu repo,
then removed gramps package>> using apt, then installed gramps 5.0.0 deb
file from github.>>>> What packages should I install for postgresql and
python bindings?>>>> TIA>>>> Peter>>>>
------------------------------------------------------------>


 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gramps 5 installation query

Sebastian Schubert
In reply to this post by Nick Hall
Am 28.07.2018 um 22:56 schrieb Nick Hall:
> On 28/07/18 21:12, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
>> The installation went smoothly with the exception of the PostgreSQL
>> 1.0.2 plugin which failed. Does anyone know what I have to do to repair
>> that? Otherwise most of the features seem to work well.
>>
> You will need to install postgresql and the python bindings. [..]

Thanks, Harvey, for testing the updated RPM. I've just added some
Recommends and Suggests to the RPM according to the README.md including
the goocanvas packages. Postgres, however, is not listed in the readme.
 From that, I concluded that it is (still) considered for testing
purposes only and I did not add it to the RPM. Devs, do you prefer it
that way?

Cheers
Sebastian

PS: Thanks a lot for the great work in the new release!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gramps 5 installation query

Harvey Nimmo
In reply to this post by Nick Hall
On Sat, 2018-07-28 at 21:56 +0100, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 28/07/18 21:12, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> > The installation went smoothly with the exception of the PostgreSQL
> > 1.0.2 plugin which failed. Does anyone know what I have to do to
> > repair
> > that? Otherwise most of the features seem to work well.
> >
>
> You will need to install postgresql and the python bindings. What
> error
> are you getting?
>
> Nick.

Hi Nick, Peter, Sam!!
Thanks for your inputs.

Apart from "Installation Errors" "The following addons had errors:
PostgreSQL (1.0.2)" during the installation of the plugin.

I don't know where I might find any further details on the error.

OpenSUSE repository has a version of Postgresql that I have now
installed together with apparently related python packages. However,
BSDDB and SQLite remain the only Database backends on offer under
'preferences'.

Cheers
Harvey



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gramps 5 installation query

Nick Hall
On 29/07/18 17:55, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> OpenSUSE repository has a version of Postgresql that I have now
> installed together with apparently related python packages. However,
> BSDDB and SQLite remain the only Database backends on offer under
> 'preferences'.

If you have PostgreSQL running outside Gramps, then you should only need
the python bindings.

Check that you have python-psycopg2 installed.

Nick.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gramps 5 installation query

Nick Hall
In reply to this post by Sebastian Schubert
On 29/07/18 13:13, Sebastian Schubert wrote:
> Thanks, Harvey, for testing the updated RPM. I've just added some
> Recommends and Suggests to the RPM according to the README.md
> including the goocanvas packages. Postgres, however, is not listed in
> the readme. From that, I concluded that it is (still) considered for
> testing purposes only and I did not add it to the RPM. Devs, do you
> prefer it that way?

Yes.  The PostgreSQL database backend should only be used by advanced users.

Gramps is still not a multi-user application and care must be taken to
avoid multiple simultaneous connections.  The existing lock file will
not work on server databases.

Nick.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gramps 5 installation query

Harvey Nimmo
In reply to this post by Nick Hall
On Sun, 2018-07-29 at 18:07 +0100, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 29/07/18 17:55, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> > OpenSUSE repository has a version of Postgresql that I have now
> > installed together with apparently related python packages.
> > However,
> > BSDDB and SQLite remain the only Database backends on offer under
> > 'preferences'.
>
> If you have PostgreSQL running outside Gramps, then you should only
> need
> the python bindings.
>
> Check that you have python-psycopg2 installed.
>
> Nick.
>

Thanks, Nick. That is what was needed. Now I have to find out how to
set up a user. sudo -i -u postgres wants a password that I don't know.
I'm not worried about multiple users (yet) as I am the only one for
miles around.

Cheers
Harvey  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org