Gramps - Best way of comparing life spans of spouses

Gramps - Best way of comparing life spans of spouses

Chicky Bid
Hi all.
I've just started to notice that among many of my forebears in the 18th
and 19th centuries wives often died before their husbands, but just
using the year of death is not an accurate reflection of who had the
longer life span because sometimes the wives were older than the husbands.

What is the easiest way to compare the life spans of all couples for
whom I have both a year of birth and of death?

Grateful for suggestions

Chris Ansted

Re: Gramps - Best way of comparing life spans of spouses

Chicky Bid

Thanks George.
I'll wait and see if there are any other suggestions and if not perhaps submit a feature request.

Chris

On 26-May-20 1:28 AM, George Wilmes wrote:
<< What is the easiest way to compare the life spans of all couples for whom I have both a year of birth and of death? >>

That sound like an interesting thing to look at.

I don't know about "easiest", but it seems that the most "straightforward" way might be to customize the code (or submit a feature request) for the Families view so that it displays two additional columns: Father's Lifespan and Mother's Lifespan. Maybe you would also want a column that calculates the period of Lifespan Overlap, or rather the Length of Marriage (the number of years that they were both living and married).

It seems like Lifespan might also be a nice column to have on the People view, especially if it were also available in the Filter gramplet.

On the other hand, it might not be good for these basic views to get bloated with two many optional columns, if that affects performance (I don't know).

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 8:57 PM Chris Ansted <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all.
I've just started to notice that among many of my forebears in the 18th
and 19th centuries wives often died before their husbands, but just
using the year of death is not an accurate reflection of who had the
longer life span because sometimes the wives were older than the husbands.

What is the easiest way to compare the life spans of all couples for
whom I have both a year of birth and of death?

Grateful for suggestions

Chris Ansted

Re: Gramps - Best way of comparing life spans of spouses

Chicky Bid

Thanks Patrice.
Could you tell me which particular graphic view this is? I've looked among the menu choices and can't find the one that looks like this.

Chris

On 26-May-20 10:12 PM, Patrice Legoux wrote:
Chris,

Do you see this graphical view? It seems to me it does the job you want, showing lifespan of both spouses and more; showing lifespan of persons relativly to their parents, children, etc..

Patrice

Le lun. 25 mai 2020 à 03:59, Chris Ansted <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi all.
I've just started to notice that among many of my forebears in the 18th
and 19th centuries wives often died before their husbands, but just
using the year of death is not an accurate reflection of who had the
longer life span because sometimes the wives were older than the husbands.

What is the easiest way to compare the life spans of all couples for
whom I have both a year of birth and of death?

Grateful for suggestions

Chris Ansted

Re: Gramps - Best way of comparing life spans of spouses

Patrice Legoux
Hi Chris,

I don't know the english name of this option. I've made a screenshot to help you to localize it:

image.png

Patrice