Gramps ID Formats

Hans Ulrich Frink-2
Hi all
I just realize that my ID Formats are not  I%05d. I have 12000 Individuals in my db.
When I switched from gramps 5.0 to 5.1 on Windows the Format was not transferred. So how can I reverse that fault so that my IDs keep their Number but get the leading zeros again. (as I refer to the IDs in essays and analysis)
Could gramps be modified, so that this fault wont happen any more?
cheers
Uli

Re: Gramps ID Formats

Dave Scheipers
Hi Uli

There's a tool for that.

Tools >> Family Tree Processing >> Reorder Gramps IDs

As with any batch edits make a backup first.

If all you want to do is add the leading zeros, do NOT click on the
Change column.  Change and Keep  are tools to resequence the ID's
removing deleted/merged holes in the numbers. I suggest that you do
not do this unless you have converted to a SQLite backend. With a
SQLite backend, the ID's will resort based upon when the record was
created.  Until the next release of Gramps, resorting the ID's with
BSDDB backend will scramble the ID's.  PaulC fixed this scrambling in
October but for the next release. Change will do this resequencing and
with Keep, keeps any custom ID's you have.

HTH Dave

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 12:30 PM Hans Ulrich Frink
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
> I just realize that my ID Formats are not  I%05d. I have 12000 Individuals in my db.
> When I switched from gramps 5.0 to 5.1 on Windows the Format was not transferred. So how can I reverse that fault so that my IDs keep their Number but get the leading zeros again. (as I refer to the IDs in essays and analysis)
> Could gramps be modified, so that this fault wont happen any more?
> cheers
> Uli

Re: Gramps ID Formats

GRAMPS - User mailing list
That 'Reorder Gramps ID' add-on tool may not conform to meet the requirement. You say there's already material out (publicly distributed) with some of the IDs and that you want to preserve those but resequence the rest, right?

I'm guessing you only want to reorder the IDs created since your upgrade to 5.1? There would have be a filter enhancement added to the tool.

But you could easily get in trouble there. What if the filter had a rule that referenced IDs?  You could get into a recursive mess! It would be a lot of code to build a rule pre-validator... considering rules themselves can be recursive or be from add-ons.

It would probably be best if a Reorder filter only allowed a single Tag as a filter option. It would be much safer since Tags aren't dynamic & so that particular recursive problem can't happen.

(You could still leverage the more complex filter approach. It would just take a couple extra steps:
* build a custom filter in the People View
* apply the filter
* add a Tag to all the Results of the filter
* double-check all the IDs are offenders
* remove tags from any exceptions
)

Sounds useful.

In any case, BACKUP before doing ANYTHING!

-Brian

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 12:41, Dave Scheipers

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
> I just realize that my ID Formats are not  I%05d. I have 12000 Individuals in my db.
> When I switched from gramps 5.0 to 5.1 on Windows the Format was not transferred. So how can I reverse that fault so that my IDs keep their Number but get the leading zeros again. (as I refer to the IDs in essays and analysis)
> Could gramps be modified, so that this fault wont happen any more?
> cheers
> Uli

Re: Gramps ID Formats

Dave Scheipers
Hi Brian & Uli

The built-in Reorder tool does not handle filters. You can select
which portion of the database to act on (people, events, etc) You
cannot filter to a subset of those lists.

With the Change Unchecked, the tool will make sure the ID's all have
the leading Letter and pad the existing numbers with zeros so all ID's
have the same length.  This is the same function of the 4.2 Reorder
tool with the added benefit to restrict which parts of the database to
act on.

As I posted above, the Change/Keep functions are to resequence the
numbers to fill in deleted/merged numbers.

Here's the bug report I filed. It was initially closed but reopened
and fixed by PaulC in October.

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 2:24 PM [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That 'Reorder Gramps ID' add-on tool may not conform to meet the requirement. You say there's already material out (publicly distributed) with some of the IDs and that you want to preserve those but resequence the rest, right?
>
> I'm guessing you only want to reorder the IDs created since your upgrade to 5.1? There would have be a filter enhancement added to the tool.
>
> But you could easily get in trouble there. What if the filter had a rule that referenced IDs?  You could get into a recursive mess! It would be a lot of code to build a rule pre-validator... considering rules themselves can be recursive or be from add-ons.
>
> It would probably be best if a Reorder filter only allowed a single Tag as a filter option. It would be much safer since Tags aren't dynamic & so that particular recursive problem can't happen.
>
> (You could still leverage the more complex filter approach. It would just take a couple extra steps:
> * build a custom filter in the People View
> * apply the filter
> * add a Tag to all the Results of the filter
> * double-check all the IDs are offenders
> * remove tags from any exceptions
> )
>
> Sounds useful.
>
> In any case, BACKUP before doing ANYTHING!
>
> -Brian
>
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Tools#Reorder_Gramps_ID
>

> On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 12:41, Dave Scheipers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Uli
>
> There's a tool for that.
>
> Tools >> Family Tree Processing >> Reorder Gramps IDs
>
> As with any batch edits make a backup first.
>
> If all you want to do is add the leading zeros, do NOT click on the
> Change column.  Change and Keep  are tools to resequence the ID's
> removing deleted/merged holes in the numbers. I suggest that you do
> not do this unless you have converted to a SQLite backend. With a
> SQLite backend, the ID's will resort based upon when the record was
> created.  Until the next release of Gramps, resorting the ID's with
> BSDDB backend will scramble the ID's.  PaulC fixed this scrambling in
> October but for the next release. Change will do this resequencing and
> with Keep, keeps any custom ID's you have.
>
> HTH Dave
>
> On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 12:30 PM Hans Ulrich Frink
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all
> > I just realize that my ID Formats are not  I%05d. I have 12000 Individuals in my db.
> > When I switched from gramps 5.0 to 5.1 on Windows the Format was not transferred. So how can I reverse that fault so that my IDs keep their Number but get the leading zeros again. (as I refer to the IDs in essays and analysis)
> > Could gramps be modified, so that this fault wont happen any more?
> > cheers
> > Uli

Re: Gramps ID Formats

Hans Ulrich Frink-2
Hi All
Thanks for helping with reorder tool.
By using the options the IDs were kept and just filled with leading 0 as I  intended to.
Indeed my lap was on repair survice and returned without data. So I had to reinstall gramps.
Cheers
Uli

Am So., 8. Dez. 2019 um 00:33 Uhr schrieb [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
Uli,

Regarding the ID formatting preference resetting to default.

Did you buy a new computer or run a cleanup tool (like cCleaner)? The backup file doesn't transfer preferences like some people might expect.

If not, did you specify a different folder for the  Gramps 5.1 installation than the default? That would create an independent set of preferences.

The ID numbering setting is stored in a separate Preferences folder in the User area rather than the Programs area of the directory.

There's also the slight possibility the preference file became corrupted & was overwritten. (There is an option for resetting to defaults.  But it's painful enough than you would remember that:

-Brian

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 11:31, Hans Ulrich Frink