Gramps : Import photo

Bugzilla from laurent.protois@free.fr
Hi,

        I've found a bug in 3.0.2-1 version,
        as i try to import a photo into the gallery,
        i select it in the file parser and
        then it says :

        Impossible to import /xxx/xxx/file.jpg
        the file selected cannot be found

        translated from french ;-)

yep !!!

--
Laurent Protois <[hidden email]>
Free

Re: Gramps : Import photo

Stéphane Charette-2
>        I've found a bug in 3.0.2-1 version,
>        as i try to import a photo into the gallery,
>        i select it in the file parser and
>        then it says :
>
>        Impossible to import /xxx/xxx/file.jpg
>        the file selected cannot be found

What is the name of the directory/filename?  Are there any accents or
other special characters?

What OS are you using?

Stéphane Charette

Re: Gramps : Import photo

As Stephane says, more info about your problem is needed.

Note also that GRAMPS does not import media, it just saves the media path to where the media is stored.
So you can enter the path by hand too, and see if GRAMPS finds the media to create a thumbnail of it.

Benny

2008/10/15 Laurent Protois <[hidden email]>
Hi,

       I've found a bug in 3.0.2-1 version,
       as i try to import a photo into the gallery,
       i select it in the file parser and
       then it says :

       Impossible to import /xxx/xxx/file.jpg
       the file selected cannot be found

       translated from french ;-)

yep !!!

--
Laurent Protois <[hidden email]>
Free

Re: Gramps : Import photo

Bugzilla from laurent.protois@free.fr
Hello Stephane,

What would you want more ?

I am using Mandriva 2008.1 and Gramps 3.0.2-1
on a x86_64 laptop.

I Just import a media photo into a person gallery,
and gramps refuse to add it,
just saying it can't find it.

The path seems to be simple,
no accent, no special characters,
no backtrace on the terminal ...

Just nothing else to say, sorry !!!

Laurent

Le jeudi 16 octobre 2008 à 09:03 +0200, Benny Malengier a écrit :

> As Stephane says, more info about your problem is needed.
>
> Note also that GRAMPS does not import media, it just saves the media
> path to where the media is stored.
> So you can enter the path by hand too, and see if GRAMPS finds the
> media to create a thumbnail of it.
>
> Benny
>
> 2008/10/15 Laurent Protois <[hidden email]>
>         Hi,
>
>                I've found a bug in 3.0.2-1 version,
>                as i try to import a photo into the gallery,
>                i select it in the file parser and
>                then it says :
>
>                Impossible to import /xxx/xxx/file.jpg
>                the file selected cannot be found
>
>                translated from french ;-)
>
>         yep !!!
>
>         --
>         Laurent Protois <[hidden email]>
>         Free

>         Developer's challenge
>         Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK &
>         win great prizes
>         Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere
>         in the world
>         http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/

Re: Gramps : Import photo

Gerald Britton-2
Did you type in the path by hand or use the dialog to go down to the
directory where your photo is?  Also, what is the actual name of the
photo file (should be something like "myphoto.jpg")

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Laurent Protois
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Stephane,
>
> What would you want more ?
>
> I am using Mandriva 2008.1 and Gramps 3.0.2-1
> on a x86_64 laptop.
>
> I Just import a media photo into a person gallery,
> and gramps refuse to add it,
> just saying it can't find it.
>
> The path seems to be simple,
> no accent, no special characters,
> no backtrace on the terminal ...
>
> Just nothing else to say, sorry !!!
>
> Laurent
>
> Le jeudi 16 octobre 2008 à 09:03 +0200, Benny Malengier a écrit :
>> As Stephane says, more info about your problem is needed.
>>
>> Note also that GRAMPS does not import media, it just saves the media
>> path to where the media is stored.
>> So you can enter the path by hand too, and see if GRAMPS finds the
>> media to create a thumbnail of it.
>>
>> Benny
>>
>> 2008/10/15 Laurent Protois <[hidden email]>
>>         Hi,
>>
>>                I've found a bug in 3.0.2-1 version,
>>                as i try to import a photo into the gallery,
>>                i select it in the file parser and
>>                then it says :
>>
>>                Impossible to import /xxx/xxx/file.jpg
>>                the file selected cannot be found
>>
>>                translated from french ;-)
>>
>>         yep !!!
>>
>>         --
>>         Laurent Protois <[hidden email]>
>>         Free

>>         Developer's challenge
>>         Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK &
>>         win great prizes
>>         Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere
>>         in the world
>>         http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/

Re: Gramps : Import photo

Doug-11
Hi Laurent,
I have an identical set-up. Thanks to Benny, this works perfectly for me:

suppose my photo is laurent.jpg and I put all my family photos in a
folder /home/laurent/familyhistory/gramps/photos.

First step:
with the family database loaded, go to Edit=>Preferences=>Base path for
relative media paths. Navigate to your photo folder
/home/laurent/familyhistory/gramps/photos. Close.

Next:
Go to Media=>Add=>Select a Media Object. Navigate to your photo folder
/home/laurent/familyhistory/gramps/photos. Enable "Convert to a relative
path".
Find your photo "laurent.jpg". You can do this in several ways:
              scroll through the list of photos
              if you've just added it, click on the "Modified" header.
This brings recent additions to the top of the list
              type "lau" in the "Location"; Enter. This selects photos
with "lau......" in the name
Click OK.

Once you've set this up, all you need to do to have subsequent photos
available in Gramps is to add them to folder
/home/laurent/familyhistory/gramps/photos. They'll be visible
straightaway on the list when you go to Media=>Add=>Select a Media Object.

Note: On my system, only .jpg files are immediately visible as previews;
for other formats I need to select the image and then call up an
appropriate image viewer

HTH

Doug

Laurent Protois wrote:

> Hello Stephane,
>
> What would you want more ?
>
> I am using Mandriva 2008.1 and Gramps 3.0.2-1
> on a x86_64 laptop.
>
> I Just import a media photo into a person gallery,
> and gramps refuse to add it,
> just saying it can't find it.
>
> The path seems to be simple,
> no accent, no special characters,
> no backtrace on the terminal ...
>
> Just nothing else to say, sorry !!!

<snip>

Re: Gramps : Import photo

Bugzilla from laurent.protois@free.fr
You're so Great Doug,

My media path in preferences was a wrong path
does not exist and contains accents ;-(

I Correct it and now all is fine ;-)

Thanks to all
Laurent

Le samedi 18 octobre 2008 à 16:09 +0200, doug a écrit :

> Hi Laurent,
> I have an identical set-up. Thanks to Benny, this works perfectly for me:
>
> suppose my photo is laurent.jpg and I put all my family photos in a
> folder /home/laurent/familyhistory/gramps/photos.
>
> First step:
> with the family database loaded, go to Edit=>Preferences=>Base path for
> relative media paths. Navigate to your photo folder
> /home/laurent/familyhistory/gramps/photos. Close.
>
> Next:
> Go to Media=>Add=>Select a Media Object. Navigate to your photo folder
> /home/laurent/familyhistory/gramps/photos. Enable "Convert to a relative
> path".
> Find your photo "laurent.jpg". You can do this in several ways:
>               scroll through the list of photos
>               if you've just added it, click on the "Modified" header.
> This brings recent additions to the top of the list
>               type "lau" in the "Location"; Enter. This selects photos
> with "lau......" in the name
> Click OK.
>
> Once you've set this up, all you need to do to have subsequent photos
> available in Gramps is to add them to folder
> /home/laurent/familyhistory/gramps/photos. They'll be visible
> straightaway on the list when you go to Media=>Add=>Select a Media Object.
>
> Note: On my system, only .jpg files are immediately visible as previews;
> for other formats I need to select the image and then call up an
> appropriate image viewer
>
> HTH
>
> Doug
>

> Laurent Protois wrote:
> > Hello Stephane,
> >
> > What would you want more ?
> >
> > I am using Mandriva 2008.1 and Gramps 3.0.2-1
> > on a x86_64 laptop.
> >
> > I Just import a media photo into a person gallery,
> > and gramps refuse to add it,
> > just saying it can't find it.
> >
> > The path seems to be simple,
> > no accent, no special characters,
> > no backtrace on the terminal ...
> >
> > Just nothing else to say, sorry !!!
> >

> <snip>

Re: Gramps : Import photo

DexterB
I'm having the same problem and am getting the same error message.

Cannot import any media file, even though the thumbnail appears in the "Select a media object" box. I've tried absolute and relative path selections as well as all the repair tools.

The files are .jpg and can be retrieved OK on other image handling programs.

Using a desktop with Ubuntu 8.04.

Cheers, Dexter

Protois Laurent wrote
You're so Great Doug,

My media path in preferences was a wrong path
does not exist and contains accents ;-(

I Correct it and now all is fine ;-)

Thanks to all
Laurent

Le samedi 18 octobre 2008 à 16:09 +0200, doug a écrit :
> Hi Laurent,
> I have an identical set-up. Thanks to Benny, this works perfectly for me:
>
> suppose my photo is laurent.jpg and I put all my family photos in a
> folder /home/laurent/familyhistory/gramps/photos.
>
> First step:
> with the family database loaded, go to Edit=>Preferences=>Base path for
> relative media paths. Navigate to your photo folder
> /home/laurent/familyhistory/gramps/photos. Close.
>
> Next:
> Go to Media=>Add=>Select a Media Object. Navigate to your photo folder
> /home/laurent/familyhistory/gramps/photos. Enable "Convert to a relative
> path".
> Find your photo "laurent.jpg". You can do this in several ways:
>               scroll through the list of photos
>               if you've just added it, click on the "Modified" header.
> This brings recent additions to the top of the list
>               type "lau" in the "Location"; Enter. This selects photos
> with "lau......" in the name
> Click OK.
>
> Once you've set this up, all you need to do to have subsequent photos
> available in Gramps is to add them to folder
> /home/laurent/familyhistory/gramps/photos. They'll be visible
> straightaway on the list when you go to Media=>Add=>Select a Media Object.
>
> Note: On my system, only .jpg files are immediately visible as previews;
> for other formats I need to select the image and then call up an
> appropriate image viewer
>
> HTH
>
> Doug
>

> Laurent Protois wrote:
> > Hello Stephane,
> >
> > What would you want more ?
> >
> > I am using Mandriva 2008.1 and Gramps 3.0.2-1
> > on a x86_64 laptop.
> >
> > I Just import a media photo into a person gallery,
> > and gramps refuse to add it,
> > just saying it can't find it.
> >
> > The path seems to be simple,
> > no accent, no special characters,
> > no backtrace on the terminal ...
> >
> > Just nothing else to say, sorry !!!
> >

> <snip>

Re: Gramps : Import photo

Laurent, could you add a bug to the tracker? Something like: incorrect relative media path in preferences creates error on adding pictures which is not clear.

My guess is the error message should be better as other people might become bitten by this also.

Benny