Gramps - Importing GED file created by Ancestry

Gramps - Importing GED file created by Ancestry

Chicky Bid
Hi. I've recently imported into Gramps a couple of different ged files
created by Ancestry from my account. In both cases the files loaded
largely, but I received an error warning " GEDCOM import Report: 29
Errors detected: Line ignored as not understood"  and so were not
copied. I haven't yet worked out what is missing. But why is it
happening at all? Does anyone know?  I'm using Windows 10 and GRAMPS
AIO64-5.1.1-1
Grateful for assistance.

Chris

Re: Gramps - Importing GED file created by Ancestry

Agreed that these were probably non-standard lines. The program you exported from may even have a known oddity in their export:

But that 'ignored' for the import doesn't actually mean data was lost. (Although those odd Empty Notes in Ancestry imports probablywould've been discarded. They're probably remnants of abandoned edits.)

There should be a report reporting which were the 29 lines:

Perhaps you could import the GEDCOM into a new, empty Tree and tell us what lines were ignored?

Alternatively, a Note should've been added to the objects for which the line was ignored.  You could Search the Notes for 'ignored' and share those details.

It is a good idea to do that anyway... change the 'technobabble' of the Note to something understandable in the future. Best to do that while you remember that it was an Import oddity and where the GEDCOM originated.

-Brian

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 1:44, Chris Ansted