Gramps Large Print Advice?

Josh Stenb
Hi, Gramps Community,

I'm wondering if anyone might have advice on how to print an ancestral tree with over 1500 members on it? I've found the Ancestral Tree report but am having trouble making it work even on the largest paper option. Lol. Any advice? I thank you very much. I use Gramps for private reasons and do not genealogy as a living so I'm not familiar with this aspect yet. Thank you!

- Josh

Re: Gramps Large Print Advice?

Harvey Nimmo
On Thu, 2016-06-23 at 14:08 -0700, Josh Stenb wrote:
Hi, Gramps Community,

I'm wondering if anyone might have advice on how to print an ancestral tree with over 1500 members on it? I've found the Ancestral Tree report but am having trouble making it work even on the largest paper option. Lol. Any advice? I thank you very much. I use Gramps for private reasons and do not genealogy as a living so I'm not familiar with this aspect yet. Thank you!

- Josh
I have a tree with about 1340 people. If I discount the 'disconnected' people, i.e. people not related to me, there are about 925 left.

I have used the Relationship Graph to display all 925 people (including portrait photos here and there).
They (filtered on 'related to me') are printed as pdf on a custom sized page 95cm wide, orientation 'Portrait', font size 14, graph direction 'Vertical (down)'. I have the resulting pdf file printed on the plotter of my local photocopying shop. The length of the plot works out at about 2.2 m. In that case, all entries are readable and spread out reasonably well on the sheet  (although there is a fair amount of white space).

Cheers
Harvey

Re: Gramps Large Print Advice?

Paul Franklin-5
> I'm wondering if anyone might have advice on how to print an ancestral tree
> with over 1500 members on it? I've found the Ancestral Tree report but am
> having trouble making it work even on the largest paper option.

It also depends on whether you actually want it to end up
on a piece of paper.

If not, I would suppose you could set a "custom" piece of
"paper" to be incredibly large (ten meters by ten meters?)
and just look at it on your screen with a viewer.

If you want it on paper it depends on what your local
print shop can manage.  Many places in bigger cities have
roll printers which are over a meter wide (four feet) and
they'll print it as long as you want.  Typically architects
and places like that use them (if they don't own their own).

Also, I haven't looked at that report in a long time but
the descendant tree report has an option where you
select whether you want it on one page or multiple
pages (which I suppose you tape together), and I
am guessing the ancestor tree report might be like
that too (as it has the same person behind it).

HTH.

Re: Gramps Large Print Advice?

Josh Stenb
Hi, Paul and Harvey,

Thanks for your great advice. I've been trying it and made some progress. Ironically, ten metres by ten metres hasn't quite done it! Lol. Will keep you posted. Still having some trouble but will keep trying. Thank you!

- Josh

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone might have advice on how to print an ancestral tree
> with over 1500 members on it? I've found the Ancestral Tree report but am
> having trouble making it work even on the largest paper option.

It also depends on whether you actually want it to end up
on a piece of paper.

If not, I would suppose you could set a "custom" piece of
"paper" to be incredibly large (ten meters by ten meters?)
and just look at it on your screen with a viewer.

If you want it on paper it depends on what your local
print shop can manage.  Many places in bigger cities have
roll printers which are over a meter wide (four feet) and
they'll print it as long as you want.  Typically architects
and places like that use them (if they don't own their own).

Also, I haven't looked at that report in a long time but
the descendant tree report has an option where you
select whether you want it on one page or multiple
pages (which I suppose you tape together), and I
am guessing the ancestor tree report might be like
that too (as it has the same person behind it).

HTH.

Re: Gramps Large Print Advice?

Harvey Nimmo
I should have told you that my tree covers 14 generations. They fit on the 95 cm width, but 14 must be close to the (readable) limit. I need the 2.2 m length, mainly because there are many families with many siblings in a couple of the generations in the 19th century, in particular. As each person's rectangular box is in 'portrait' orientation, the Vertical Down selection seems to be the most economical choice. Perhaps the Horizontal Right orientation could accommodate more than 14 generations on 95cm width, but at the cost of more than 2.2m plot length.

Cheers
Harvey

On Sun, 2016-06-26 at 13:34 -0700, Josh Stenb wrote:
Hi, Paul and Harvey,

Thanks for your great advice. I've been trying it and made some progress. Ironically, ten metres by ten metres hasn't quite done it! Lol. Will keep you posted. Still having some trouble but will keep trying. Thank you!

- Josh

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone might have advice on how to print an ancestral tree
> with over 1500 members on it? I've found the Ancestral Tree report but am
> having trouble making it work even on the largest paper option.

It also depends on whether you actually want it to end up
on a piece of paper.

If not, I would suppose you could set a "custom" piece of
"paper" to be incredibly large (ten meters by ten meters?)
and just look at it on your screen with a viewer.

If you want it on paper it depends on what your local
print shop can manage.  Many places in bigger cities have
roll printers which are over a meter wide (four feet) and
they'll print it as long as you want.  Typically architects
and places like that use them (if they don't own their own).

Also, I haven't looked at that report in a long time but
the descendant tree report has an option where you
select whether you want it on one page or multiple
pages (which I suppose you tape together), and I
am guessing the ancestor tree report might be like
that too (as it has the same person behind it).

HTH.

Re: Gramps Large Print Advice?

Alain AUPEIX
Le 26/06/2016 23:23, Harvey Nimmo a écrit :
I should have told you that my tree covers 14 generations. They fit on the 95 cm width, but 14 must be close to the (readable) limit. I need the 2.2 m length, mainly because there are many families with many siblings in a couple of the generations in the 19th century, in particular. As each person's rectangular box is in 'portrait' orientation, the Vertical Down selection seems to be the most economical choice. Perhaps the Horizontal Right orientation could accommodate more than 14 generations on 95cm width, but at the cost of more than 2.2m plot length.

Cheers
Harvey

On Sun, 2016-06-26 at 13:34 -0700, Josh Stenb wrote:
Hi, Paul and Harvey,

Thanks for your great advice. I've been trying it and made some progress. Ironically, ten metres by ten metres hasn't quite done it! Lol. Will keep you posted. Still having some trouble but will keep trying. Thank you!

- Josh

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone might have advice on how to print an ancestral tree
> with over 1500 members on it? I've found the Ancestral Tree report but am
> having trouble making it work even on the largest paper option.

It also depends on whether you actually want it to end up
on a piece of paper.

If not, I would suppose you could set a "custom" piece of
"paper" to be incredibly large (ten meters by ten meters?)
and just look at it on your screen with a viewer.

If you want it on paper it depends on what your local
print shop can manage.  Many places in bigger cities have
roll printers which are over a meter wide (four feet) and
they'll print it as long as you want.  Typically architects
and places like that use them (if they don't own their own).

Also, I haven't looked at that report in a long time but
the descendant tree report has an option where you
select whether you want it on one page or multiple
pages (which I suppose you tape together), and I
am guessing the ancestor tree report might be like
that too (as it has the same person behind it).

HTH.
I have solved the problem by using a personnalized paper size.
For 14 generations, I use 0.75m x 6.00m
I use the horizontal graphic gramps report
I save in svg format.
To print, I convert it in png format with Gimp. It allows to adapt the size.

Then I use Posterazor. It allows to cut an image in pages of different sizes.
The common version (1.5.2) allows A5,A4 or A3

A new version (1.9.5) is avalaible for Windows, Mac and Linux, but must have to be build for Linux (easy). This version allows A5,A4,A3 or A2.
But a very simple modification of the source allows to use A1 or A0.

It's a real pain to reconstruct it using A4, but a real pleasure using A0 where the number of pages is drastically reduced (115 -> 6 pages)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/posterazor/files/PosteRazor%202%20Preview/1.9.5/

--

Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/

U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2016-06-22 22:54) | Hw.Gui 2.19-6 (2537)

Re: Gramps Large Print Advice?

Josh Stenb
Thank you all for your help. I think I may have figured out how to do it. Now just have to go get it printed. What a challenge! - Josh

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 11:56 PM, Alain Aupeix <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Then I use Posterazor. It allows to cut an image in pages of different sizes.
The common version (1.5.2) allows A5,A4 or A3

A new version (1.9.5) is avalaible for Windows, Mac and Linux, but must have to be build for Linux (easy). This version allows A5,A4,A3 or A2.
But a very simple modification of the source allows to use A1 or A0.

It's a real pain to reconstruct it using A4, but a real pleasure using A0 where the number of pages is drastically reduced (115 -> 6 pages)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/posterazor/files/PosteRazor%202%20Preview/1.9.5/

--

Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
http://pissobi-lacassagne.pagesperso-orange.fr/

U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2016-06-22 22:54) | Hw.Gui 2.19-6 (2537)

Just want to thank you for your help in getting those large printers completed and printed.
Got it done at a local shop Wednesday. Thank you for your help!

- Josh

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 12:24 AM, Josh Stenb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Then I use Posterazor. It allows to cut an image in pages of different sizes.
The common version (1.5.2) allows A5,A4 or A3

A new version (1.9.5) is avalaible for Windows, Mac and Linux, but must have to be build for Linux (easy). This version allows A5,A4,A3 or A2.
But a very simple modification of the source allows to use A1 or A0.

It's a real pain to reconstruct it using A4, but a real pleasure using A0 where the number of pages is drastically reduced (115 -> 6 pages)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/posterazor/files/PosteRazor%202%20Preview/1.9.5/

--

Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
http://pissobi-lacassagne.pagesperso-orange.fr/

U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2016-06-22 22:54) | Hw.Gui 2.19-6 (2537)

Just want to thank you for your help in getting those large *posters* completed and printed.
Got it done at a local shop Wednesday. Thank you for your help!
(Duh to myself!)

- Joshua

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Josh Stenb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Then I use Posterazor. It allows to cut an image in pages of different sizes.
The common version (1.5.2) allows A5,A4 or A3

A new version (1.9.5) is avalaible for Windows, Mac and Linux, but must have to be build for Linux (easy). This version allows A5,A4,A3 or A2.
But a very simple modification of the source allows to use A1 or A0.

It's a real pain to reconstruct it using A4, but a real pleasure using A0 where the number of pages is drastically reduced (115 -> 6 pages)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/posterazor/files/PosteRazor%202%20Preview/1.9.5/

--

Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
http://pissobi-lacassagne.pagesperso-orange.fr/

U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2016-06-22 22:54) | Hw.Gui 2.19-6 (2537)

Congratulations. Glad to know it worked, and all the best for their 'exhibition'

Cheers
Harve