Gramps Web UI

Stav

Hi all,

    I just signed up on this list but I've been using Gramps for about a year now and I'd like to announce that I've written a Webapp User Interface for it for my family tree:

http://family.almeroth.net/

The source code is available on GitHub:

https://github.com/stav/grampsys

And I can get you a zip file of the build if you want to run it yourself on your site; but:

  • There are many bugs, you've been warned,
  • Data is not saved online, just in your browser.
In order to upload your data you first need to:
  1. Export the Gramps data to an XML file (no compression),
  2. Convert the XML to JSON (can be done for free online),
  3. Click the database button on the UI to upload your datafile.

If there is interest I can make some changes and make it better. let me know your thoughts,
Steve

Re: Gramps Web UI

Peter Merchant
On 20/08/2019 03:19, Stav wrote:

Hi all,

    I just signed up on this list but I've been using Gramps for about a year now and I'd like to announce that I've written a Webapp User Interface for it for my family tree:

http://family.almeroth.net/

The source code is available on GitHub:

https://github.com/stav/grampsys

And I can get you a zip file of the build if you want to run it yourself on your site; but:

  • There are many bugs, you've been warned,
  • Data is not saved online, just in your browser.
In order to upload your data you first need to:
  1. Export the Gramps data to an XML file (no compression),
  2. Convert the XML to JSON (can be done for free online),
  3. Click the database button on the UI to upload your datafile.

If there is interest I can make some changes and make it better. let me know your thoughts,
Steve

Interesting, but for the sake of privacy, perhaps you should somehow not display people alive. I was able to see a young man born 2010. About 20 years ago when I was playing with a personal web site, I posted a family phone list and got an earful of ire and things are worse now. Remember too that Ancestry etc do not display live people  except to owner.

Peter M.

Re: Gramps Web UI

On 8/19/19 9:19 PM, Stav wrote:

Hi all,

    I just signed up on this list but I've been using Gramps for about a year now and I'd like to announce that I've written a Webapp User Interface for it for my family tree:

http://family.almeroth.net/

The source code is available on GitHub:

https://github.com/stav/grampsys

And I can get you a zip file of the build if you want to run it yourself on your site; but:

Interesting.  I might upload it to my site.

  • There are many bugs, you've been warned,
  • Data is not saved online, just in your browser.
In order to upload your data you first need to:
  1. Export the Gramps data to an XML file (no compression),
  2. Convert the XML to JSON (can be done for free online),
  3. Click the database button on the UI to upload your datafile.

Gramps can export directly to JSON.  Can you make use of that to merge steps (1) and (2)?

Re: Gramps Web UI

Duncan Lithgow
Great stuff Stav. I look forward to trying this out. Sharing my family
tree is a frustrating process as it stands.